Code of Conduct

Thread: Brécourt

Default Brécourt

any opinions or suggestions? thanx

Default Re: Brécourt

I have tried a few and they are of very decent quality IMO.

I'm interested in "Haram" which is supposed to be a sweeter and darker version of Ambre Narguile, I'm going to sample it very soon.

I am also interested in Haram
    Can anyone comment how it compares to Hermes?

I'm working my way through some samples right now, but haven't tried them enough to formulate concrete opinions. What I have tried so far has been extremely sweet/fruity and quite short-lived. They remind me a little of Tokyo Milk.

The only one I can speak of is Esprit Mondain.

Esprit Mondain is a very nice fragrance. It opens with a more well composed version of boss bottled with variation in notes of course...just giving you an idea of what this smells like in general.

Opens with a nice, citrus top and black pepper - Most like Hugo Boss Bottled here.
    Middle of this one Lavender and Cabernet Sauvignon are detectable. - I quite like the cab...really nicely done.
    Base of this is listed Cedarwood, ambroxan, Myrrh, Musks. - I mostly smell cedar, ambroxan and light musks.

At first, I'll admit. I thought this was a copy of Hugo Boss Bottled. I was kind of upset about it considering I paid so much more than I would for a Boss cheapie. However, it was really my nose being under-developed. I had just started exploring fragrances and it was my own ignorance. This is a very nice scent, a very safe fragrance. Something that's not going to blow your socks off, but you get what you pay for and I think it's a good one at the current price point. Also, there are some really different notes in this one. I do enjoy the mix of citrus, pepper, wood and wine.

I forgot to add...My girlfriend literally wants to jump on top of me when I wear this stuff. It's like to exaggerated Axe body spray commercials, seriously. I guess if any of you are looking for a niche "panty dropper," this guy is it.
    Last edited by rynegne; 9th May 2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'm working my way through some samples right now, but haven't tried them enough to formulate concrete opinions. What I have tried so far has been extremely sweet/fruity and quite short-lived. They remind me a little of Tokyo Milk.
    Which Brecourt was it?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    Which Brecourt was it?
    I have samples of Agaressence, Avenue Montaigne, Ambre Noir, Eau Blanche, L'Amoureuse, Eau Trouble, and Farah.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I have samples of Agaressence, Avenue Montaigne, Ambre Noir, Eau Blanche, L'Amoureuse, Eau Trouble, and Farah.
    And all of them were sweet/fruity? If so, then I have to try those out. I love sweet fruity fragrances

I have Contre Pouvoir and I like it. It's the only scent from the men line which I considered worth to buy it . From the women line I've liked Eau Trouble, Eau Blanche, Ambre Noir and Agaressence..

I've found Haram to be very very sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    I have Contre Pouvoir and I like it. It's the only scent from the men line which I considered worth to buy it . From the women line I've liked Eau Trouble, Eau Blanche, Ambre Noir and Agaressence..

I've found Haram to be very very sweet.
    How was the projection and longevity on you with Haram?

Very good. The best from all scents I mentioned.

I got citrus on the top of Esprit Mondain and Cabrient Sauvignon (bitter grape) in the middle. This is the only one in the line I have tried, I didn't find it overly sweet, just sweet enough. You may want to give this one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDropIt View Post
    And all of them were sweet/fruity? If so, then I have to try those out. I love sweet fruity fragrances

Eau Libre , Eau Trouble , ,Eau Blanche and even L'Amoureuse (last 2 are my wife's favorites) are also not sweet.

To be honest, I need to spend a little more time with the samples I got before I commit to any real opinions. But yes, so far, extremely sweet / short-lived. Let me give them a better spin over the next few days and see if I can formulate a better, more accurate response. I generally don't subscribe to the idea of gender demarcation in fragrance, but these strike me as very, very feminine so far. Let me give them a better shake and see if I can eat my words!

I received two batches of samples this week of lines I'd been wanting to try (Brecourt and Dior's Privee line) and was disappointed by both while also finding them to be very alike. Maybe this was just an off week for me?
    Last edited by deadidol; 10th May 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Contre Pouvoir lasts on me all day. ( usually three sprays, more is too much for me). I think , from the samples-which don't have a sprayer ,we might not get the longevity and projection we want ,but I agree with you about the longevity on some scents from Brecourt .

Blog Entries

Some of us did a sample pass in 2011; here is the thread with reviews:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...views-Brecourt

I'm doing some more detailed tests on these right now, so I'll post better notes soon. This and Eau Blanche are the longest lasting on me so far, yet both are fairly low at the 30 minute mark and this one's heading toward the musk base that they all seem to be constructed from. It's probably the most interesting so far though, but is not holding up on me well at all.

- - - Updated - - -

So, I began with the ones that seem to be the least syrupy first to try and get a sense of the spectrum of the line. All of these were tried alongside a fragrance I know well in order to gain a more accurate sense of lifespan.

Ambre Noir was first up, and the one that drew me to Brecourt in the first place as I'm a huge amber fan, and will seek out and try as many as possible. However, this has been the most disappointing of the first test in that it was virtually gone within 15 minutes. It opened with an amber note similar to the oily/butter composition of HdP's Ambre 114 that seemed to be the result of the sandalwood component. There was also a noticeable—but not necessarily unpleasant—BO kind of thing going on that added a little interest. Then a very generic musk base accord emerged, and around the 10 minute mark, that's all that remained. So, an interesting tease of a scent that's all too fleeting. If they switch up the composition materials to something with greater durability, they might be onto something as the opening was somewhat unique.

Eau Trouble was next and this felt like a basic designer scent that had perhaps been plumped up a bit. It opened with a dominant powder note—probably from the heliotrope/violet/tonka bean combo, yet given that trio's usual strength, it was fairly "small" in comparison to a scent that uses similar notes: ALOF's What We Do In Paris Is Secret. Within ten minutes, it had turned into the exact same generic musk accord of Ambre Noir, leading me to believe that these are constructed from the same bases with some variance in the top/heart notes. Around the 30 minute mark, there were faint traces of musk and nothing more.

Eau Blanche opened with a promising citrus that's somewhere between bergamot and lemon with a hint of jasmine peeking through. About 10 minutes in, it had started to turn to a more chemical type smell that reminded me of Pledge—possibly built around a tea base accord. At the 30 minute mark, it was just pure floral cleaning product—inoffensive, and relatively fresh smelling, but far from natural. No devolution into generic musk, though! After about an hour, the Pledge scent is still lurking, but there's not much else going on. Definitely has a longer lifespan than the first two, but I'm not convinced that's a good thing.

Haram (Farah) was the most interesting of this first bunch of tests. It opens with an interesting juxtaposition of notes that don't seem like they'd work: cinnamon; dates; and citrus. It reminds me a little of a blood orange. 15 minutes later, it had really settled down, but was still perceptible unlike Ambre Noir and Eau Trouble which had long since left. The exact same musk accord is still there (was there a special on this or something?), but the other notes have morphed into something more foody—almost like slightly sweet baked goods or something. While I think the date/cinnamon/citrus combo is quite interesting a concept, the nasty generic base kills it a bit and the overall murky feel is simply not working. I think this could be brilliant if perhaps made with better materials and a more subtle base were used.

So that's the first four. Again, I think they're akin to Tokyo Milk's stuff -- similar quality, albeit more expensive. There's some clear inventiveness at work, but not enough to elevate it beyond my own level of curiosity. I can see the appeal as fairly straight forward, inexpensive scents, but the longevity has to be an issue with these.
    Last edited by deadidol; 11th May 2013 at 07:06 AM.