Code of Conduct

Default I have 38 x Niche Decants and only 6 are 'Bottle Worthy' for my tastes

So from the following list the only ones I have bought or will buy full bottles of are: Aventus, GIT, Original Vetiver, VIW, LDDM, and Amber Absolute. Pretty poor hit rate of success.

Maybe my nose is not mature enough to appreciate lot of these scents, but for me, I don't want to have to try to appreciate or like a scent, I just want to smell it and think wow that smells great.

I am going to give them all another test and see if my opinion changes.

Reflection Man - Amouage
    Interlude Man - Amouage
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Tea for Two - L Artisan Parfumeur
    Rose 31 - Le Labo
    Black Afgano - Nasomatto
    Duro - Nasomatto
    Pardon - Nasomatto
    Lumiere Noire Pour - Francis Kurkdjian
    Incence Oud - Killian
    Beyond Love - Killian
    Straight to Heaven - Killian
    Prelude to Love - Killian
    Pure Oud - Killian
    Liaisons Dangereuses - Killian
    Haute Claire - Aftelier
    Lonestar Memories - Andy Tauer
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Andy Tauer
    Bosque - Humiecki & Graef
    Ambra Nera - Farmacia SS
    Stephen Jones - CDG
    Amazing Green - CDG
    Bois Marocain - Tom Ford
    Oud Wood - Tom Ford
    Amber Absolute - Tom Ford
    Noir de Noir - Tom Ford
    Tobacco Vanille - Tom Ford
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Musc Ravageur - Frederic Malle
    Aventus - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed -Creed
    Royal Water - Creed
    Silver Mountain Water - Creed
    Original Vetiver - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Virgin Island Water - Creed
    Tabarome - Creed
    Erolfa - Creed

Default Re: I have 38 x Niche Decants and only 6 are 'Bottle Worthy' for my tastes

Yes, give them another chance. You might feel differently.

Default Re: I have 38 x Niche Decants and only 6 are 'Bottle Worthy' for my tastes

Great list imo. I have most of them except creed and would love to have more

Yeah, give them another sniff. You will be missing out on a few good ones you have on the list. Nice list by the way.

Well, you're obviously growing into a creed fanboy.. Way to be safe.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

While I agree that you might find more to like in these at a later date, personally I'd say that six out of 38 is a pretty enviable hit rate for any given group of samples.

And if you still don't like them, you should be able to trade for other frag samples. No point in keeping decants that you don't like. That's my plan anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
    Much rather he lies about his tastes to gain approval from fragrance snobs with their notions of what is worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    So from the following list the only ones I have bought or will buy full bottles of are: Aventus, GIT, Original Vetiver, VIW, LDDM, and Amber Absolute. Pretty poor hit rate of success.

Maybe my nose is not mature enough to appreciate lot of these scents, but for me, I don't want to have to try to appreciate or like a scent, I just want to smell it and think wow that smells great.

One question that I have is, are you giving them full wearings when you sample? I realized that when I sample on paper or on my arm, it doesn't do the fragrance justice. There were quite a few times where I disliked or didn't care for a fragrance after sampling it on my arm, until I gave it a full wearing and I ended up really liking it.

For example, when I sampled Jubilation XXV on my arm, I didn't know what the hype was about and found the fragrance sickly sweet; but when I gave it a full wearing, I really liked it and ended up getting in on a split.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    One question that I have is, are you giving them full wearings when you sample? I realized that when I sample on paper or on my arm, it doesn't do the fragrance justice. There were quite a few times where I disliked or didn't care for a fragrance after sampling it on my arm, until I gave it a full wearing and I ended up really liking it.

For example, when I sampled Jubilation XXV on my arm, I didn't know what the hype was about and found the fragrance sickly sweet; but when I gave it a full wearing, I really liked it and ended up getting in on a split.
    It's a good point mate. Nearly all have only been worn on my arm as most are in 1ml or 2ml vials. I'm definitely going to give them all more time

- - - Updated - - -

Bore off mate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    While I agree that you might find more to like in these at a later date, personally I'd say that six out of 38 is a pretty enviable hit rate for any given group of samples.
    Yeh good point. Thinking about it my hit rate for designers is similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pookz View Post
    Much rather he lies about his tastes to gain approval from fragrance snobs with their notions of what is worthy.
    Exactly dude. He missed the point that there were as many Creeds as there were any other house that I also said I did not deem bottle worthy.

Says the person with Aventus in his top 5.

Amouage fragrances are amazing, give them another try, however they perform better in cooler weather. Don't forget tf tuscani leather. Try to layer it with noir de noir.

The best advantage of sampling.
    Think what if you had blind brought
    all of those.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    The best advantage of sampling.
    Think what if you had blind brought
    all of those.
    I know mate, I would've had to remortgage my house ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Amouage fragrances are amazing, give them another try, however they perform better in cooler weather. Don't forget tf tuscani leather. Try to layer it with noir de noir.
    Actually mate I had 3ml of TL and its one of the few samples I have sold, because I hated it lol.

You should definitely give Chergui, Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir and Virgin Island Water another shot as these all crack my top fifteen.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

+1 Unless you want other people to also have to acquire your taste in fragrance - a luxury we don't have.

One important thing I've learned is that WHEN you sample can be as important as WHAT you sample. It's May. What's the weather like where you are? Many of the scents on your list are things I wouldn't enjoy in May... but if I tried them between October and February, I'd enjoy them more.

It's a matter of taste, of course. If you're a beer guy, maybe this analogy will make sense: Guinness tastes better on a winter day than a hot summer day even though the flavor of the beer is the same.

If you like LDDM now, trust me, it gets even better in cooler weather. It's one of my favorites.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

You're definitely not alone. One thing to be sure of is: even if every person on the planet likes one fragrance, that does not mean you have to like it. I'd give them another try, but don't be surprised if you get the same result. I end up buying less than one out of ten scents I sample.

Again, my beer analogy really fits. I had my first Guinness when I was 21. My then-girlfriend's father handed it to me in an attempt to get to know me. The stuff tasted FOUL but I drank it with a smile because I was dating his daughter and wanted his approval. These days, I think Guinness tastes great, but I prefer beer that's even richer and darker.

Tastes evolve and change over time. I couldn't imagine myself enjoying LDDM ten years ago, let alone paying $125 for a bottle. Now, I grin when I see a cool day in the forecast because I know it'll be a day for LDDM!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

I tried many of the same, from your list the only ones I considered worth owning bottles of were:

Chergui - Serge Lutens

Took at least two wearings to enjoy Chergui enough to really want a full bottle. Also still contemplating L'Air Du Desert Marocain.

If you haven't, try By Kilian's Back to Black.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Again, my beer analogy really fits. I had my first Guinness when I was 21. My then-girlfriend's father handed it to me in an attempt to get to know me. The stuff tasted FOUL but I drank it with a smile because I was dating his daughter and wanted his approval. These days, I think Guinness tastes great, but I prefer beer that's even richer and darker.

Tastes evolve and change over time. I couldn't imagine myself enjoying LDDM ten years ago, let alone paying $125 for a bottle. Now, I grin when I see a cool day in the forecast because I know it'll be a day for LDDM!
    Good analogy dude. I'm definitely not giving up any of them yet.

I was pretty disappointed with the Creeds and Tauers, too, even after multiple wearings. Don't know much about the Kilians, TBH. I liked Black Afgano but the others were forgettable. Horrendously priced, too. The same for the TFs - nice smells but linear and still overpriced. The only one that stood out from your list was Chergui - I bought a bottle of that and never regretted it. If you are still interested in niche, consider Histoire de Parfums or Parfums d'Empire - both of which do discovery sets at reasonable prices.

Sound Scents

Mine would only be nine of those (and only one of yours). We all have different tastes, no problem with that. Enjoy your six.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Banned
    Blog Entries

6 out of that list?
    over half are considered great

Basenotes Junkie

Niche just isn't for some people. I find the prices of most niche brands to be completely ridiculous and out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    6 out of that list?
    over half are considered great
    But thats his point. They may be considered great by the masses, but to him, the only great ones worth a full bottle are 6 of them. Ive tried 27 out of his list of 38 and personally, i would only consider buying full bottles of 7 of them.

You mean by the mass on Basenotes? Because the real mass will consider most of these as piss.

Reflection Man - Amouage
    Interlude Man - Amouage
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Tea for Two - L Artisan Parfumeur
    Rose 31 - Le Labo
    Black Afgano - Nasomatto
    Duro - Nasomatto
    Pardon - Nasomatto
    Lumiere Noire Pour - Francis Kurkdjian
    Incence Oud - Killian
    Beyond Love - Killian
    Straight to Heaven - Killian
    Prelude to Love - Killian
    Pure Oud - Killian
    Liaisons Dangereuses - Killian
    Haute Claire - Aftelier
    Lonestar Memories - Andy Tauer
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Andy Tauer
    Bosque - Humiecki & Graef
    Ambra Nera - Farmacia SS
    Stephen Jones - CDG
    Amazing Green - CDG
    Bois Marocain - Tom Ford
    Oud Wood - Tom Ford
    Amber Absolute - Tom Ford
    Noir de Noir - Tom Ford
    Chergui - Serge Lutens
    Aventus - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed -Creed
    Royal Water - Creed
    Silver Mountain Water - Creed
    Original Vetiver - Creed
    Original Santal - Creed
    Virgin Island Water - Creed
    Tabarome - Creed
    Erolfa - Creed
    Jubilation XXV is listed as top 10 in your signature, but is not bottle worthy?
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

2 questions:

1) Where did you get your samples?

2) Don't you feel that Gucci Pour Homme II doesn't last anywhere near long enough?