Code of Conduct

Default Citrusy summer (hotter weather) frags?

I was looking through my curio and it seems I don't have many/a lot of citrus type frags.

It's probably going to get hotter here coming up (I'm in Texas).

Can I get some suggestions for contemporary/modern citrusy frags?

Niche or designer. I may at least like every frag I own (check wardrobe), though I'm not looking for a macho-man/manly fragrance. I'm looking for things more along the lines of say.. Allure Homme Édition Blanche, but more complexity can be nice?

Perhaps even citrusy with a nice orange blossom.

Suggestions? Even suggestions for seemingly good summer frags that aren't necessarily citrusy are welcome.

Default Re: Citrusy summer (hotter weather) frags?

Bond No. 9 Eau de New York - Just a nice citrus cologne...good stuff...long lasting power for a citrus...if you're looking niche

Brécourt Esprit Mondain - Boss Bottled + Grapefruit, nice musks, cabrinet savignon...nice fragrance overall..niche...but not super expensive.

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Bart's - Frozen margarita on a tropical Caribbean beach...very reasonably priced.

Gucci Pour Homme II - No citrus...just a really nice, light summer fragrance.
    Last edited by rynegne; 9th May 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Additional information...

Contemporary-Modern, fairly unique, and smells really good--L'Humaniste by Frapin...in fact, this is a little bit like Edition Blanche, but also very different. It's really good--probably my favorite citrus fragrance at the moment--and features a crazy gin and tonic accord that's fantastic.

Bond No. 9 Coney Island

Monsieur Balmain

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have GPHII and Coney Island.
    I've read stuff about L'Humaniste before, I currently (only?) have 1270 by that house.

Oooh, Eau de New York, thank you. Any others?

Edit: Oh, we posted around the same time, eh, hednic? Heh. That one is supposedly really lemony, correct? However, do you find it as having a more old-school feel, compared to contemporary?

My problem with citrus fragrances is that the ones I think smell natural and good do not last long. For instance, I like de Nicolai Cologne Sologne, a wonderful neroli, but it is like a true eau de cologne, it lasts very little and needs to be reapplied. Same for Chanel Eau de Cologne.

For long lasting freshness, I prefer vetivers, which I think perform well for instance in DC's heat, which is not quite like Texas, but it can get hot nonetheless. Examples would be Chanel Sycomore, CDG vetiveru, etc

cacio

Try Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (the vintage bottle with a sticker in a bottle and black cap)
    Citrusy-orange-tobacco-woods
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    However, do you find it as having a more old-school feel, compared to contemporary?
    For me at my age, that line is blurred! In truth though - no.

I too love vetiver in the summer time. Your suggestions along with Route de Vetiver work well during the summer heat.

Bond No. 9 Eau de New York has very good longevity, I've never had to reapply as I usually get 9-10 hours. But, I have yet to test this one in on a scorching day. Its not overpowering, so I don't think any issues will arise.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My problem with citrus fragrances is that the ones I think smell natural and good do not last long. For instance, I like de Nicolai Cologne Sologne, a wonderful neroli, but it is like a true eau de cologne, it lasts very little and needs to be reapplied. Same for Chanel Eau de Cologne.

For long lasting freshness, I prefer vetivers, which I think perform well for instance in DC's heat, which is not quite like Texas, but it can get hot nonetheless. Examples would be Chanel Sycomore, CDG vetiveru, etc

cacio

Creed Jardin d'Amalfi
    Dior Homme Sport 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Contemporary-Modern, fairly unique, and smells really good--L'Humaniste by Frapin...in fact, this is a little bit like Edition Blanche, but also very different. It's really good--probably my favorite citrus fragrance at the moment--and features a crazy gin and tonic accord that's fantastic.
    This times a million. Lhumaniste is a masterpiece in the effervescent, fizzy, citrus category. Not just a masterpiece but imo the finest example of this type of scent that exists. It doesn't turn into Fruit Loops lemonine, nor does it have a cloying sugary sweet side. It's like holding an ice cold gin and 7-Up on a 110F day, one of the most refreshing and highly complimented scents in my collection. Coach Rob on Youtube has a great first impression of this scent and his reaction when he first smelled it was the same as mine.

http://youtu.be/Qbo-dlcPlZY?t=4m43s (4:44 mark)

Acqua di Palma Colonia, Crabtree and Evelyn West Indian Lime cologne, 4711 and Chanel Pour Monsieur are all great citrus frags.

The best summery citrus I know of is Chanel's Eau de Cologne, closely followed by The Different Company's Bergamote. I really wish that Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes lasted longer on me -- it's absolutely fantastic but sticks around for ~5 min.

Luna Rosa

Check out Parah Man. Light citrus and great for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    I'm looking for things more along the lines of say.. Allure Homme Édition Blanche, but more complexity can be nice?
    Hello Jouho. To me that describes Creed's Neroli Sauvage.

Perhaps even citrusy with a nice orange blossom.
    You have to try Jo Malone's Orange Blossom. It's the best blossom I've smelled.

Banned
    Blog Entries

aramis bermuda tonic,eddie bauer pure,ck1 summer 2012, geir ness and even paris hilton man are all good.

Another vote for Humaniste - high class parfum...

Eau du sud / Eau d'Hadrien from annick Goutal are good ones too...

You can't go wrong with:

Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille
    Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada
    Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia
    Acqua di Parma Colonia

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Longexact View Post
    I really wish that Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes lasted longer on me -- it's absolutely fantastic but sticks around for ~5 min.
    My skin sucks up a lot of fragrances, too, but Eau d'Orange Verte seems to stay on me for a good hour or so. I find that you can't really overspray with it, so sometimes I go crazy and give myself 6-8 more sprays than usual, and then it seems to last 2+ hours.

However, if you like this scent but want much longer longevity - go straight for Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte. It lasts a good 6-8 hours on me and has the same green citrus vibe. Layers nicely with Eau d'Orange Verte, too, if you want to refresh with a blast of citrus in the middle of a hot day. Concentre d'Orange Verte has overall better, richer composition, and nice light cedar base, which further adds to the great long term quality. I own both of these, like Eau but love Concentre a whole lot more.

Thanks for the responses peeps!

So far, the ones that have been posted about in this thread that I may be most interested in trying/getting/looking up about:
    Concentré d'Orange Verte
    Luna Rossa (Is this the type you meant, the Prada type?)
    Eau de New York
    L'Humaniste
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    TDC Bergamote (I may have a sample vial with it that I've put stuff on 1+ times )
    Neroli Sauvage
    And I'll probably end up picking up a bottle of DGPH sometime (I've smelled from sample(s) before, don't know perhaps what formulation though, heh.)

Another edit: I put on some TDC Bergamote, Illuminum Bergamot Blossom, and Penhaligon's Endymion Cologne/cologne. So far, when it comes to citrusy/effervescent the TDC takes the cake.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 10th May 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Definitely +1 on Acqua di Parma Colonia.

You may also find an old favourite of mine - Ralph Lauren Safari - works really well in the summer.