Code of Conduct

Default Summer scents with a musky base

I'm not big on lemon, grapefruit, vetiver as a main note, or most aquatics. I love a musky base, preferably of the non-skanky variety, but I'm open to all suggestions, especially since I'm seeking out things to sample!

Suggestions?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: Summer scents with a musky base

Bond No. 9 Eau de New York and Brecourt Esprit Mondain I find quite nice. Both do have grapefruit, but I don't find it to be one of the notes that is up front and center. I do love the cabrinet sauvinon note in Esprit Mondain along with the musk at the bottom.

Narciso Rodriguez Musc for him

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    How does it smell similar and/or different to Narciso Rodriguez for him? I liked NR a lot, yet I couldn't commit to actually buying it even though it's relatively cheap. But I did like it. I may have to sample it again sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Bond No. 9 Eau de New York and Brecourt Esprit Mondain I find quite nice. Both do have grapefruit, but I don't find it to be one of the notes that is up front and center. I do love the cabrinet sauvinon note in Esprit Mondain along with the musk at the bottom.
    Grapefruit isn't bad. It's more that I dislike a sharp citrus - especially lemon.

Ambre Muscadin

None of my suggestions have that strong citrus accord you're describing FYI. I too do not enjoy a strong lemon, for this reason, I strongly dislike Habit Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Grapefruit isn't bad. It's more that I dislike a sharp citrus - especially lemon.

Caron third man. Musky, fruity (in a non-citrus sort of way)

Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis is a superclean, fresh smelling musk (it comes also as a laundry detergent, to give the idea). Expensive though. A more traditional, non-dirty white musk would be Parfums de Nicolai Musc Intense, which is hard to find, though. It is more literally musky than the Narciso Rodriguez Musc, which works well too.

cacio

Tom Ford Musk Pure

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Kurkdjian Aqua Universalis is a superclean, fresh smelling musk (it comes also as a laundry detergent, to give the idea). Expensive though. A more traditional, non-dirty white musk would be Parfums de Nicolai Musc Intense, which is hard to find, though. It is more literally musky than the Narciso Rodriguez Musc, which works well too.

cacio
    Aqua Universalis is the one I was thinking of also. Also, a much cheaper variant would be Hugo Element.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoefen View Post
    Caron third man. Musky, fruity (in a non-citrus sort of way)
    I have a sample of this one on the way and I'm looking forward to it! I didn't realize the base gets musky. I've only had the chance to smell it once, which means I got nothing but top notes - which I did enjoy!

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that white musk is ok, but I prefer something more in the middle ground of musks. Not too skanky, but not exactly white musk either. I like the stuff that falls more in between. I'm not bad mouthing the strongly anamalic stuff, btw. In the fall, I intend to seek out some of those. But for the summer, they're not what I'm after.

Have you tried Voyage d'Hermes? It's a citrus with a white musk that works very well in summer. I bought a bottle in Bali and it seemed pretty much perfect.

Frederic Malle's Geranium pour Monsiuer has a fresh minty vibe with a musky drydown

How does it smell similar and/or different to Narciso Rodriguez for him? I liked NR a lot, yet I couldn't commit to actually buying it even though it's relatively cheap. But I did like it. I may have to sample it again sometime.

Only sampled the NR Musc. Sharp musc vibe on the initial spray that hangs around for about 6 hours on my skin.

Bond No. 9's Central Park.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

+1 Narciso Rodriguez Musc. It does share some similarities with the original minus the wet concrete vibe.
    I recently tried Ferre Bluemusk and liked it, you can give it a try as well.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

I find them markedly different (certainly worth owning both bottles), as the brooding patchouli of the original is replaced by more musk, juicy fruits (similar to, but stronger than those in Jo Malone's Redcurrant & Cream) and iris that doesn't give off that cosmetic smell like Dior Homme.

The original is more masculine, but I prefer the musc.

Serge Lutens Fleurs de Citronnier. Lemon blossom, a little honeyed, with musk.

The Body Shop White Musk for Men is not half bad, and quite cheap as well
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Another for Bond Eau de NY.

I don't revere it like many do, but if you haven't already, Eau Sauvage is worth a try.
    Please check out the bottles and samples in my swap list.

You might like Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme. It does have grapefruit, but I think it dries down to a beautiful, slightly unclean musk that is very persistent. It would be good for summer.

Someone above mentioned Bond No. 9 Central Park. To me, the drydown of that is mainly patchouli. I don't get any musk out of it, but everyone's impressions are different. I do like it very much though.

Mugler Cologne and Bleu de Chanel

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Also, if you want a pretty clean musk that works well in the summer - Bond No. 9 New York Musk.

Doesn't get much attention / love on Basenotes, but if you like the other New York Notes Collection (NY Amber, NY Oud) this may really be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post

Someone above mentioned Bond No. 9 Central Park. To me, the drydown of that is mainly patchouli. I don't get any musk out of it, but everyone's impressions are different. I do like it very much though.
    That was me.
    While there is definitely patchouli, I get a good size dose of clean musk as well. But like you said, everyone is different.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

HHhmmmm... a bunch of Bond mentions. I'm jotting them down! I'll have to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    I don't revere it like many do, but if you haven't already, Eau Sauvage is worth a try.
    I'm actually wearing a sample of Eau Sauvage tonight. It's... ok. It smells too classic-cologne for my taste, and the citrus top notes are a big no for me. After the top fades, like I said, it's just ok. I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not me.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    You might like Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme. It does have grapefruit, but I think it dries down to a beautiful, slightly unclean musk that is very persistent. It would be good for summer.
    I actually don't like that one at all, partly for the reason you mention -- but but but!!! -- but I need to revisit some Bvlgari stuff because they do seem to have a common base which I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy. Thanks for the reminder!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    The Body Shop White Musk for Men is not half bad, and quite cheap as well
    Yup! I own it!

- - - Updated - - -

...whoa... Clearly, I need to sample Narciso Rodriguez for him Musc. Sounds like it could be way too heavy for summer, but it also sounds like it could be right up my alley for the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I find them markedly different (certainly worth owning both bottles), as the brooding patchouli of the original is replaced by more musk, juicy fruits (similar to, but stronger than those in Jo Malone's Redcurrant & Cream) and iris that doesn't give off that cosmetic smell like Dior Homme.

Well I wouldn't wear Narciso Rodriguez Musc For Him in summer though it's a good scent. Maybe I have to try this?

As aroman stated Voyage d'Hermes is very good for summer, has some musc and isn't that clichť citrus summer scent.

TLS

Banned
    Blog Entries

himalaya

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    himalaya
    True!

You could try CK Eternity aqua.
    There isnt much love for it, but
    it smells so amazing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    himalaya
    My first thought was Himalaya, but the initial citrus blast and the touch of vetiver, might make it a no-go for the OP. Other than that, it is a very pleasant musky sandalwood
    - Mark

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

HHhmmmm... a bunch of Bond mentions. I'm jotting them down! I'll have to check them out.
    I think quite a few of the Bonds have that clean (white) musk in their base notes.Little Italy is another one I would sample.

Acca Kappa Muschio Bianco- admittedly, more of a mossy, than a musky scent. But may also work- especially with fewer sprays applied- as light, almost translucent and laundry-type (but in a pleasant, comforting and inoffensive way) as a male/unisex summer fragrance.

Banned
    Blog Entries

himalaya , acqua di gio?

What do you guy mean my "musky"? I understand civet musk, but it seems like everyone has a different description of musk and I have no idea what they are smelling.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Himalaya is on my list of scents to sniff at some point, but I haven't made it a priority since I don't tend to get the kind of longevity I'm after from Creed.

AdG is a no for me. It's too much of too much that I dislike... the lemon... it's aquatic. It's an excellent scent, no doubt about it, but I personally don't care for it. AdG is something I smell on guys everywhere, and it smells nice for that moment, but it's something I don't enjoy enough to wear. I decided to do a comparison of AdG and AdG Essenza a few weeks ago, spraying one on my left arm and the other on my right, to see how they differed as the hours passed. After about a half hour, I kept thinking "Oof, I'm done with this. Aaaaaand this too." I'm glad I sampled them, but both were a very strong pass.

For some reason, sharp citrus on a light or bright scent can be a turn off for me. Oddly enough, I enjoy citrus on a dark scent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    What do you guy mean my "musky"? I understand civet musk, but it seems like everyone has a different description of musk and I have no idea what they are smelling.
    Good question! I enjoy civet so long as it isn't in your face, though it's not a note I seek out. White musk is ok, so long as it isn't a major player. It's ok, but not a love.

Are you familiar with Auratouch? It's a musks blend that I find I enjoy. It isn't as bright as a white musk, but it isn't going to growl either

I'm not specifically looking for perfumes that contain Auratouch though. I'm just looking for scents that have musk as a significant player in the overall composition (especially the base!) but aren't as bright as a white musk or as brooding as civet can be, and of course can be worn in the summer.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 12th May 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Alfred Sung Paradise Homme

I actually get quite good longevity from Himalaya compared to other Creeds, and despite the fact that my skim usually eats up most scents. Just beware of the initial citrus blast and the touch of vetiver.
    - Mark