Code of Conduct

Default Lemon Eau de Cologne

What are your favorite lemon eau de colognes? Off the cuff, I think of Alvarez Gomez Colonia and Acqua di Parma Colonia.

Default Re: Lemon Eau de Cologne

Acqua Viva Profumum

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Monsieur Balmain

Hi bokaba! I love Eau de Cologne. Alvarez Gomes is good, isn't it? Quite Artisanal and robust in comparison to some others. In a different style but nice too is Arlington Cologne, by contrast a sharper sherbetty Cologne. They are both inexpensive.

If you would like a little floral and woody complexity with your lemons, there is the very old and very elegant Acqua di Genova, first made in 1853. It's wonderful, BUT the top notes may be lime dominant, not lemon. But who cares?

But my favourite is Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia. The most fantastic example of the genre I think. Lemons and other citrus with a tang of green, petitgrain and/or cypress I think. It's terrific.

Acqua di Genova is way too floral and way too sweet for me. I think I have a sample of Sicilia somewhere. I have Arlington, though Arlington is a more English take on the eau de cologne with "doughy" neroli and a slightly powdery base of orris/amber. Today, I am wearing the discontinued Crown Esterhazy, which, while EdP in concentration, is much like a classic eau but with addition of lemon verbena and lemon melissa (most reviewers mistake this for mint--similar but not the same). Similar perhaps to the Molinard Eau France and Galimard Verbena, but much better quality. Crown's wonderful Imperial would also be a good choice though it focuses more on the bittersweet Portugal orange and has a musty, Victorian base.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Acqua di Genova is way too floral and way too sweet for me. I think I have a sample of Sicilia somewhere. I have Arlington, though Arlington is a more English take on the eau de cologne with "doughy" neroli and a slightly powdery base of orris/amber. Today, I am wearing the discontinued Crown Esterhazy, which, while EdP in concentration, is much like a classic eau but with addition of lemon verbena and lemon melissa (most reviewers mistake this for mint--similar but not the same). Similar perhaps to the Molinard Eau France and Galimard Verbena, but much better quality. Crown's wonderful Imperial would also be a good choice though it focuses more on the bittersweet Portugal orange and has a musty, Victorian base.
    Oh the crown Esterhazy sounds wonderful! Do try the Sicilia if you can.

Great thread for me to be picking up some selections to try. Oh were it that the elusive citrus notes lasted just a little longer! I get around it somewhat by making sure some gets on my clothes, but still so fleeting. I greatly enjoy Acqua Classica Borsari, which has a heady citrus opening, but it may be a bit dense toward the drydown. Not a Cologne, but Chevignon is great in a lemon tart kind of way -- there is sweetness, but not too much. Verbena is such a wonderful note. Also, let us not forget Moustache, which may just be my absolute favourite lemon ever.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

There's something I don't like about Borsari. Probably just snobbery after having smelled 1960s vintage Farina Gegenuber EdC. Any other ideas?

I enjoy AdP Colonia
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...
    Currently wearing: Holy Shit by Pekji

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Monsieur Balmain
    Maybe I need to try this. Recently most of the threads I click on has somewhere your recommendation for this.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    There's something I don't like about Borsari. Probably just snobbery after having smelled 1960s vintage Farina Gegenuber EdC. Any other ideas?
    Borsari is quite dense and musty in the drydown. I don't mind musty, but I understand your trepidation.

Gotas de Oro is lemony in its opening and settles into a nice Spanish style Cologne.

Have you tried Azzaro Pure Cedrat? It's a little synthetic, but the lemon/citrus sticks around quite a while.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

Never heard of de Oro. I forgot Creed Boise de Cedrat and Guerlain Fleurs de Cedrat.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post

Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia.
    Came into the thread to post this.

Sound Scents

Crown Imperial for sure though its strength has got to be stronger than an EdC.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Came into the thread to post this.

This.

Any other ideas?

Cartier Declaration Cologne, though I find it a bit heavy in sizzling-hot temperatures. Prolly ok up to the mid 80s.

I ordered a sample of Monsieur Balmain. I thought I had one, but I guess I traded it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Crown Imperial for sure though its strength has got to be stronger than an EdC.
    It may well be. However, you can only concentrate natural citrus oils up to a certain point before they will become irritating and it makes very little difference if a citrus oil is concentrated at 5% or 7%, it will burn off all the same. Crown's beautiful Esterhazy id an EdP, but lasts only around 30-45 minutes.

Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet. Exellent lemon.

Jean Patou Lacoste Eau De Sport (not to be confused with Lacoste Eau De Sport; this fragrance was from Jean Patou, not from Lacoste). Long discontinued. I have a 3.3 ounce frosted, boxed, spray tester, almost full. Top notes are lavender, mandarin orange, mint, basil, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are coriander, carnation, fir, clary sage, jasmine, rose and geranium; base notes are leather, sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar. I may consider selling it, but this is not the right forum for this.
    Last edited by sniffman; 13th May 2013 at 03:53 AM.
    thread reviver

AdP Colonia is great stuff.

Not exactly eau de colognes, but superior citrus with an EdC feel: Creed Bois de Cedrat and Citrus Bigarrade. Wonderful if you're seeking sparkling citrus accords.

I've always been interested in Monsieur Balmain, and yesterday I was at my local discounters store and I found a bottle (along with Coeur de Vetiver Sacre- probably my best two finds yet). I had this thread fresh in my mind so I picked up a bottle. It's very good, but it is a little less pure lemon than I had expected. There are some spices and ginger in there, along with some sandalwood, which do give it a little masculinity and depth. I like it alot. But I think in terms of pure lemon, I still prefer Eau d'Hadrien for a slightly more zesty, realistic take on it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Bois de Cedrat?
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo

+1 --->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    But I think in terms of pure lemon, I still prefer Eau d'Hadrien for a slightly more zesty, realistic take on it.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Institution

I love many of the eaux's mentioned above.

bokaba, do you consider Eau de Guerlain as 'lemony'? I love it.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Bois de Mysore by Mizensir

I suppose I would consider Eau de Guerlain lemony, but it is really more than an eau de cologne. It is also quite herbal with caraway and a very strong musk. Quite good in fact.

Bokaba, I see that Gamma has mentioned Eau D'Hadrien above. What do you think of the Goutals Eau D'Hadrien and Eau Du Sud? They are not just lemon , the Hadrien with cypress and he Sud with basil and mint if I remember? I think that they have lost something in recent times though.

No votes for Chanel Eau de Cologne? It's a beautiful example of a classic citrus cologne! Beautiful lemon and neroli in this that are incredibly bright and expensive-smelling. In true cologne fashion, too, it hardly even lasts! At $280 it's the opposite of a bargain, but it's a wonderful scent to try.