Code of Conduct

Default Sweetness for the "Mature Man"

I know that this has been posted in many forms before, so thanks in advance for your patience. I tried New Haarlem and enjoyed the sweetness, but I wish it were "sweet" instead of "SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!". On my skin it wears as a single, linear maple syrup vibe. I've read a lot about Rochas Man and Play Intense, but people seem to talk more about their respective coffee vibes. I'm looking more for coffee cake with a faint whiff of coffee. My only other request would that it be not more expensive than New Haarlem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Sweetness for the "Mature Man"

Maybe Serge Lutens Chergui.

Also, wait until Frank No. 2 Los Angeles comes back out this summer. It's sweet, but not overly sweet, and quite masculine. It has some coffee, cognac, plum, musk and maplewood. I think it fits the bill. LuckyScent will have it when it's re-released. They're currently in the process of repackaging.
    Last edited by rynegne; 10th May 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Check out Michael Jordan Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    This!

Chanel …goÔste Classy, moderately sweet and with an air of sofistication and charm that you just can't beat
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I own Rochas Man and I don't get much coffee at all -- it seems more cocoa with slight chocolate to me. I like it and it isn't that expensive, so give it a whirl. It isn't candy sweet, but there is sweetness there. Worth noting is that I do not like too obvious coffee notes.

It really depends how much density you like. Myself, I like impenetrable! If you like spice, then I suggest JaÓpur Homme in either concentration. Wonderful scent, but maybe a little stuffy and formal. I tend to ignore those indications, though.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

Give Rochas Man a try and make your own judgment.

Hanae Mori and Coney Island

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps Endymion by Penhaligon's? The coffee won't come in until the middle accords, and even then it's not your burnt roast Starbucks variety, more like the smooth whiff of coffee you get passing by a cafe, sandwiched in between powdery bits of leather and aromatic sage/lavender. I quite like it, and think it's got more than enough sweetness, but it's definitely not coffee-centric if that's what you're going for.

Endymion is a good suggestion. I would go so far as to recommend Eucris, despite the negative reviews here. Perhaps Jicky if we are venturing into the truly formal old school.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

What about 1740 by HdP?, sweet and mature, all in one leathery sensual package...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Chanel …goÔste Classy, moderately sweet and with an air of sofistication and charm that you just can't beat
    This is as good as anything I can think of

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    This is as good as anything I can think of
    Well,there's no coffee but it's definitely my idea of a superb "mature sweetness"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary F View Post
    I know that this has been posted in many forms before, so thanks in advance for your patience. I tried New Haarlem and enjoyed the sweetness, but I wish it were "sweet" instead of "SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!". On my skin it wears as a single, linear maple syrup vibe. I've read a lot about Rochas Man and Play Intense, but people seem to talk more about their respective coffee vibes. I'm looking more for coffee cake with a faint whiff of coffee. My only other request would that it be not more expensive than New Haarlem. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Rochas Man will make you sick. I just get pure candy floss sweetness without any of the lovely burnt sugar smell that should go with it. I just get sugar, no coffee.

I second Chanel's Egoiste.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    IS this really that much less sweet than New Haarlem? I'm in the same camp as the OP on that one. When I sampled New Haarlem, I was glad I had a dentist appointment coming up. I felt like even just the smell of that stuff would give me cavities.

Hanae Mori HM is excellent, but it may be too sweet. Still, I strongly recommend sampling it because if you like it, you can find it for as little as $30 online, and it's a compliment magnet. HM is as sweet as I can handle on my skin.

Givenchy Play Intense might be right up your alley.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Member

I only sniffed Rochas Man once, but I remember it being burnt coffee. Not particularly sweet, but more of black coffee.

Bond No. 9 I Love NY for All (my son said cookies) and Lauder Intuition for Men (similar to Endymion).

Profumum Alba!!

YSL M7. A must-have in any collection. Works great as a "mature" sweet fragrance. Huge collectible value, too.

I love new york for all

Sweet coffee from the same house, So New York (LNYFA is far too sweet).
    Sweet for anybody, "mature" or not, sexy as hell and really good (woody with cinammon, no coffee here): EgoÔste, no doubt.
    Not my cup of tea but besides Jordan you might try Attitude and Attitude Extreme (Armani), not very sweet and with coffee. The same goes for Very Irresistible for men (Givenchy), green bottle, dry coffee.
    Bad girls don't cry but get even.

As always, the awesome Basenotes community comes through - thanks everyone! For all that mentioned Egoiste, it one of my absolute favorites in my small collection, but it is more smoky/creamy than sweet on my skin. I went ahead and ordered Rochas Man as a blind by since it was only $20. If I hate it and my wife hates it, I'll see if any of my friends like it and give it to them. Thanks again everyone!

Santal Noble (MPG) from Luckyscent might be worth a shot. It's for grown-ups. Dries van Noten par Frederic Malle also good but a bit dearer - dunno what the Bond stuff costs.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th May 2013 at 05:04 AM.

Yohji Homme
    Chypre Palatin
    Ormonde Man

I love sweet orientals like Musc Ravageur, but I usually only wear them when I'm in bed.

Balenciaga - Cristobal Homme
    Chopard - Casran
    Les Nťrťides - (Impťrial) Opoponax
    LīOccitane - Labdanum EDP

Guerlain - Shalimar (vintage) EDP

Gary, I highly recommend Penhaligons Endymion. One awesome versatile scent.

Quote Originally Posted by romeocasido View Post
    I love new york for all
    This is a good suggestion to get the sweet coffee note but it has a very chemical soar milky note also which I extremely dislike.

So I'd say sample first and if you want a FB contact me and I will happy to sell mine ;-)

TLS

Yohji Homme and Endymion are indeed good. The Tierry Mugler Pure Coffee is another option, but possible a bit too sweet. Also L'Artisan's L'Eau du Navigateur, which is not that sweet.

I don't really like sweet scents, but I'd go with d'Orsay le Dandy or even Fragonard Zizanie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Gary, I highly recommend Penhaligons Endymion. One awesome versatile scent.
    I was just about to post the same thing - good thing I read the responses before I did.

Endymion has a sweetish musk to it but is still extremely refined. A wonderful fragrance and has the bonus of being my biggest compliment-drawer to date.

The Mugler house will do for you, Pure Malt is sweet and very mature

Pure Malt +1

Caron Pour un Homme is sweet.

Fully seconding Endymion, further recommendations: possibly Burberry London and Mugler Pure Havane

Sweet scents are not a favorite with me either, but I do like: Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur, MDCI Invasion Barbare and Penhaligon Sartorial. All three are mature man oriented and judiciously sweet.

Check out 1969 by Histoires Parfums - perfectly unisex, sweet, but not cloying, has cocoa / chocolate & coffee notes as well with spices & like every HdP parfum, exceptionally well made...The dry down phase once the peach opening is gone is amazing, so be patient when sampling this out, u'll be in for a treat...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Taste of Fragrance

Jacomo for men(silver) Definitely a good coffee slightly sweet vibe for the mature man

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Panama 1924 by Boellis is the refined and matured template of Le Male.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!