Code of Conduct

Default Summer Creeds Question

I'm interested in trying out some creeds for the warmer weather, specifically MI, VIW, and SMW.
    Because there is nowhere in my area that I can go and smell these I have to buy samples online.

My question is should I start with one (probably MI, I've heard the best things about this one out of the three),
    or should I get all three at once with possibly a better deal?
    Is it worth trying all of them or are they similar enough that one or two would be enough?

Default Re: Summer Creeds Question

They are all 3 very good but very different so there is nothing holding you back to own them all.

SMW is a very nice quality tea scent with a metalic vibe which I love but some dislike.

VIW is for summer heat. Very fresh and good ingredients. Nothing synthetic about this.

MI is the one I'm sampling for the moment. IMO it's the least summer scent of the three and it has a bit of an "old" vibe to it but still very good and wearable.

Enjoy sampling!

TLS

I don't think these are very similar at all.

If you are looking to really find a great summer Creed, I would suggest you get a sample of all 3 (and some others while you are at it, since there are other summer Creed fragrances just as goof IMO)

Millesime Imperial and Virgin Island Water would be great for the summer.

Get samples of all 3.

If you can get a good deal, get all three at once.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Get samples of all 3.
    This... Although currently really enjoying SMW...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Blog Entries

Does NOBODY else smell fermented apples in the top note of SMW? I've tried it several times and can't get past the vinegar/fermented apple smell...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

They are different. For me viw and mi are best.

Buy samples first. Trust me on that! I've always enjoyed the smell of MI, but I decided to buy a sample to see how it wears and I'm glad I did. It smells amazing... for about three hours. Then it's gone. That's nowhere near enough for me. I need at least six hours of longevity in order to even think about buying something, and really, I want eight. If I wear something during the day, I want it to last all day. If I wear something before I head out at night, I want it to last all night... 6pm to 2am if not longer.

Creed makes some excellent scents, but make sure you wear them before buying. It's important to figure out how they'll do on your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott47 View Post
    Is it worth trying all of them or are they similar enough that one or two would be enough?
    My advice: read the reviews on fragrantica - espeicially the notes. Get samples for any that sound appealing. decantshop.com has some, the perfumed court has some, maybe luckyscent... SAMPLE! ...you'll be glad you did.

My dad was a big Billy Joel fan. There's a line in one of his songs that says "You can't get the sound from a story in a magazine." That's true of perfume too. You need to smell it.

Sample!

The best part about sampling is, it's a helluvalotta fun. It can be great on a date, believe it or not, if you know the right women. A few months ago, I was casually seeing a marvelous woman who liked to come over to my place, drink wine and smell perfume. THAT WAS AWESOME.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Best 2 below plus GIT
    Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Millesime Imperial and Virgin Island Water would be great for the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Does NOBODY else smell fermented apples in the top note of SMW? I've tried it several times and can't get past the vinegar/fermented apple smell...
    No, I get a blackberry vibe...

Although get a strong green apple vibe from GIT, heartnotes on...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Sample all 3. SMW is my favorite.

Banned
    Blog Entries

they're all really close. i say sample them all.

either of the 4 are good choices.

as far as recommendability, i think MI and Aventus are best

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Get samples of all 3.
    This. Sample first, then you can decide which one you truly like.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    This. Sample first, then you can decide which one you truly like.
    Very true. Although I eventually went for MI only as FBW on me, they are all worth trying.

You should certainly try Neroli Sauvage, Selection Verte, and Citrus Bigarrade.

MI, SMW, VIW are very different to each other.

Its hard to say what is better because they are very unique.
    When it comes to samples I suggest getting these and a few other Creeds (GIT, Adventus, Neroli). May as well take the plunge with samples.

After you sample them, and based on balancing the budget in a modest collection, I would get 75 ml testers from say fragrancenet as they become available. You could get 3 of them for nearly the retail price of 1 large bottle. I would rather have all 3 of these than trying to pick one.

While were at it, I would not try and substitute any of these.
    I own MI, SMW, VIW, Set Sail St. Barts and Unforgivable. The "substitutes" are not even close to the Creeds.
    You may get a hint of top note similarity but once they dry down the Creed house note (ambergris?) becomes a critical part of the composition.

TLS description of MI, SMW and VIW is excellent.

Possum-Pie, the fermented apple smell in SMW, could it be the musk and petit grain? I somewhat see your view on this but I find it fades quickly.

I wear MI a LOT in the summer. For years now.

It does great in the heat. Lasts long.
    And smells amazing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I wear MI a LOT in the summer. For years now.

It does great in the heat. Lasts long.
    And smells amazing
    +this

WOW! I envy those of you who get any longevity at all from MI! I get three hours on my skin... then, it's gone without even a whisper of a goodbye.

Three hours is what I get out of MI also, but for my skin that is not bad - I generally have a skin *that does not hold scents for long with a few exceptions.*

Sample is all i can tell you.

Basenotes Plus

All are very nice for the summer. My favorite summer Creed Fragrance though is Original Vetiver. It smells wonderful in the heat and humidity.

Thanks for all the input.
    I'm definitely going to have to sample all three now

If you have money, go for a large flacon of Selection Verte (the green if you find it)

MI and VIW dont last at all so just fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Bingo, my thoughts exactly. I like many Creed's, but I just can't stomach that piercing, sour vinegar type top note in SMW. It's one of the few fragrances that literally is gag inducing to me. Granted, it gets better in the mid & base, but be warned, if you don't like extremely acidic, fermented type notes, stay away from SMW. I'd definitely take MI, VIW, or Neroli Sauvage over SMW for summer wear.

I'm pretty sure it's the black currant note in SMW that I can't handle. It's odd, I like berries in jelly and jam & so forth, but to me black current notes in fragrances smell nothing like that. I guess I have to have them sweetened to enjoy them, because this note almost always irritates me if it's a dominant note.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott47 View Post
    Thanks for all the input.
    I'm definitely going to have to sample all three now
    Good call! The nose to trust is your own. That being said... one of my favorite things about basenotes is figuring out who here has similar tastes to myself because that makes it easier to choose which scents to try. Granted, nobody will have the exact same taste, but after a while, you start to notice similarities.