Code of Conduct

Default One comment ruined my nose!

Some time ago while researching the purchase of an Etat Libre d'Orange fragrance, I read a basenotes review of Fat Electrician which likened the vetiver note to the smell of burnt wires. Now I absolutely loathe the smell of burning, especially burning electricals and upon smelling the fragrance I immediately detected what the reviewer was talking about - there was definitely something smoky and plasticky in what was otherwise, a truly wonderful fragrance. It put me right off.

Today, my 50ml botle of Guierlain Vetiver arrived and, to my horror, I can make out the same 'electrical' vetiver note in the drydown. It's tolerable but the association has slightly marred my enjoyment of an otherwise sublime fragrance. I'd never noticed it whenever I'd sampled Vetiver previously to reading that one reviewer's comment.

Has anyone else had their perceptions of a fragrance altered by someone else's casual observations?
    Smelling good on a budget!

Default Re: One comment ruined my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    Has anyone else had their perceptions of a fragrance altered by someone else's casual observations?
    Hasn't happened to me yet.

Sometimes I understand what a reviewer means, but it did not sidetrack my like or dislike for a fragrance.

Me neither, although I have avoided A*Men like the plague based on reviews...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Don't let it happen - it's unique to Fat Electrician, that 'fried wire insulation' vetiver smell. I don't get anything like that in Guerlain's Vetiver.

Many vetiver fragrances have a smokiness to them, particularly the more earthen vetivers like Sycomore and Encre Noire.
    The green vetivers like GV, Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and Dior's Prive Vetiver still retain a little of that earthen quality but are more fresh, green and astringent than smoky and dry.

GV's green sharpness is definitely not like the acrid burnt plastic/rubber note from ELdO's effort.

Fight the power of suggestion!!!

I purchased a full 50ml bottle of Tom Fords Oud Wood and liked until I read somewhere on here that it had a latex rubber note. And yep after that I could detect that note every time I wore it and just could not live with it. I ended up selling my bottle.

Try to take a break from vetiver-prominent scents, and return in a month or two. Let the association fade away a bit, and let vetiver be vetiver
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

This is the best advice. I had the same thing happen with Bond No. 9 Wall Street...but I applied too much when sampling. I absolutely hated it. Then I came back to it months and months later, I absolutely loved it and bought a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Try to take a break from vetiver-prominent scents, and return in a month or two. Let the association fade away a bit, and let vetiver be vetiver

Well I remember reading Nead Nitram's review of Cool Water, where he described being cornered by the ghost of a drunken American shoe salesman ,which would have deflated my balloon if I had been a fan of the scent.
    Luckily I already thought it was appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    OH! I had the exact opposite happen a while ago, but the end result was the same (someone else noticed a note and it's bugged me ever since). I was on a date and she gave me a really nice compliment on how I smelled. It wasn't a generic "You smell nice." It was more of a "Wow" followed by her picking apart what she smelled, but in a really great way. She has excellent taste, so I like getting her opinions. In fact, I really value the input.

I was wearing Interlude Man. Over a glass of wine, she kept coming back to smell it, which is funny since the stuff really travels, but I wear it lightly. She kept leaning in to smell as we talked. The conversation came back to the scent. She asked what it was, and I told her. I asked her one of my favorite perfume questions:

"Let's say one of your friends set you up on a blind date. You've never met the guy, but your friend says he's cool. You and he texted back and forth a bit to make plans to meet at a pub. When you show up, you see him there, waiting for you, but he's facing away, so he hasn't spotted you yet. Right when you're about to say hello, you stop because you noticed that he smells like THIS. Be brutally honest: what's your first impression of the guy?"

She stopped and thought about it. She took a big whiff... and that's when she noticed the damn OREGANO. Once she picked up on that one note, her opinion of the smell did a 180. She said "I'd think he's a stylish guy who smells fantastic, but maybe he's a cook who just got off work? He smells like he's ready for a night on the town! But he also smells like... is that... oregano?"

D'oh!!!

God, I want so badly to love Interlude Man, but there's too much oregano! I love spicy, but I don't want to smell like that much of one particular spice.

We had a marvelous evening though. I ended up bringing out tons of bottles and samples for her to give opinions on. I love getting a woman's opinion on that.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Member

LIDGE

Saw a review on youtube saying he's not convinced with the hype, that it smells like orange squeezed on chocolate powder.

After a couple wearings, that's still all I smell.

I wish I could love this as much as most of you guys here do

That hasn’t happened to me with fragrance, but someone once mentioned that cinnamon is an ingredient in Coca Cola and for a while thereafter that was all I tasted. How did I miss that before?! After a while, it went away. My advice is the same as NorstrÝm's: wait and see...

Interesting, it hasn't happened to me yet, but who knows. Perhaps you can recalibrate your nose by smelling a frag where the fried motherboard note is truly evident - like the wonderful Breath of God - after which all other vetivers will appear fresh and natural.

cacio

I read a review where someone said that Gucci PHI has a note like body odor. Never noticed it before and now i smell it every time i wear it though it somehow makes it even better and complex for me thank goodness.

I have noticed that my perspective on ascent has changed after hearing a descrition from someone else.
    It can be as simple as finding out what the note pyramid is in a scent that you are familiar with.
    I recently discovered that there was a thyme note in Otto Kern Cycle and the scent seemed quite different after that, it now has associations of fresh countryside to me.
    Likewise with Opium, I hadn't identified one note as blackcurrant until I read the pyramid and that made it seem a little less exotic..

I've just been reminded of reading of the body odour note in Declaration. It did kind of spoil it for me after that..
    Last edited by martinijo; 10th May 2013 at 10:47 PM.

I noticed a really strong cola vibe from Straight to Heaven...

But my wife really really really loves it so, looking looking like refill bottle territory. (those married will understand!)
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

This happens more often than you think, and it can leave bad taste in your mouth and mind.

Thanks to Blood Concept I'm right off any fragrance with "tomato leaf accord". Its nauseating and if its in a frag. it jumps right out at me.

I don't think it's unique to Fat Electrician. Vetiver just utterly stinks to my nose and I don't see why anyone thought it belongs in fragrance. Don't feel bad about disliking vetiver - you're probably evolving a better taste

treeman5823

I think vetiver smells deliciously of peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Thanks to Blood Concept I'm right off any fragrance with "tomato leaf accord". Its nauseating and if its in a frag. it jumps right out at me.
    Tomato leaf smells strongly of unwashed armpits to me, so I can't handle it in fragrances.

thanks to basenotes, I will think "urinal cakes" now whenever I wear Kouros

Whenever someone would tell me that pepper was in a frag it used to ruin it for me. I try my best to proclaim that I hate certain notes nowadays.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Banned
    Blog Entries

vetiver really doesn't smell like anything else i've smelled.

maybe a soily grass, but thats about it

Not entirely related to fragrances, but a couple summers ago I worked in a water treatment plant in my town doing some electrical work (possibly why I can not just tolerate some of these "burnt wire" vetiver notes, but enjoy them). My first day on the job I noticed a very peculiar smell emanating from the various vents scattered around the site, steam billowing from each of them, and I immediately thought of boiled peanuts. Of course if you know what the water in the plants are being treated for, you'll understand why boiled peanuts are ruined for me - permanently.

Yes!

Thank's to basenotes I ended up buying Creed VIW instead of Bond's Coney Island...

Ah well, maybe it's better that way: I don't want to smell like "french fries on a fairground".

TLS

When I like something then scathing comments just amuse me. If someone points out a weakness of a fragrance and I find myself agreeing, that's fine too, saving me money.

Surely you would not have liked the scent anyway?

It may influence me more if people praise something highly, sending me on a perhaps pointless search for the greatness I may not perceive. Sometimes it's worth it though as it can make me test something which I would have written off quickly more thoroughly.
    Last edited by RŁssel; 11th May 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Guilty, but with food.

I jokingly compared the taste of some restaurant pad thai to ... ahem ... a certain cheesy substance that collects behind unwashed folds of the male anatomy and completely ruined a friend's dinner. He still can't eat pad thai.

I still feel bad. I should tone down my irreverent sense of humour.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I purchased a full 50ml bottle of Tom Fords Oud Wood and liked until I read somewhere on here that it had a latex rubber note. And yep after that I could detect that note every time I wore it and just could not live with it. I ended up selling my bottle.
    Same thing for me with Bois d'Encens, save that I don't mind that perceptual quirk.

^haha that's a good one. I wonder if there is a scent with these qualities.

Thats why I order something always based on my nose,
    Do my testing on the scent and then see the reviews
    to know how they hold.

It's happened to me a few times, but only when the casual comment turns out to be true (to my nose). In many other cases, I've disagreed, so no harm done.

One was with Bois Farine. Bought a bottle and liked it until someone said it smells like peanut butter. That was that.

Another was Mona di Orio's Cuir. Didn't buy it but someone said it smells like chorizo and that put me off.

And when someone mentioned that grapefruit can smell a lot like armpits it totally ruined Guerlain AA Pamplelune.

This has happened to me a few times.. some for good, some for bad.

In fact, I do not read negative reviews about a fragrance that I already have so as to avoid ruining my own [good] perception of that one fragrance.

Likewise, hoping to change my opinion about a fragrance I have and dislike, I usually search for positive reviews about it.
    Looking for split pal - Oud Ispahan and Ombre dans l'eau

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Ha! Yeah, they really did a number on that note. If you get chance, try Aedes' version of it (their EdP) -- it's much fresher and quite prominent, and could serve to erase the bad experience.

Here's my contribution. I've always loved PG's L'Ombre Fauve, and have never quite figured out how it does what it does (that weird furry aspect). One friend mentioned to me that it had a milky quality on his skin -- but that never really occurred to me, and then I read someone who said there was a prominent caramel note in it. Now, all I can smell is that caramel note -- and I despise most gourmands so it's kind of killing it for me!
    Last edited by deadidol; 11th May 2013 at 03:18 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Your nose is fine. Just that your mental association with a particular note has been altered. The good thing is it can be reset. Try reading more positive reviews of Fat Electrician and revisit it in a few weeks.

This has happened to me before, they say scents are connected with memories and now I don't wear a lot of the same colognes I used to. I think taking a break from a certain scent realy helps though.

My niece commented that C&S No.88 smells like the back of a Trailways bus (interior).
    I still like it, but not quite as much. Sometimes I use an essential oil like Laurel from Floracopeia (mixed with unscented lotion) as a base to freshen it up.
    ďWhen you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.Ē

Jean Klein

You've lost all things vetiver.

Vetiver is distinct in smell.

If you can't rid your association of it then you're done for good.

for swap/sale: