Code of Conduct

Default Aftershave Splashes Vs. Aftershave Balms vs Aftershave Emulsion

Hello Basenoters,

I usually buy gift sets of a fragrance and usually they'll come with an aftershave. I wanted to know the difference between these 3 types of aftershaves. Also, are the aftershaves of a fragrance worth getting or just a waste? Thanks again!

Default Re: Aftershave Splashes Vs. Aftershave Balms vs Aftershave Emulsion

Search Function broke?

A splash is usually a less concentrated form of the EdT sometimes with menthol, toners, etc. added. A balm is a moisturizer. I am not sure about an emulsion.

Splashes are usually traditional after-shaves, which are astringent, designed to tighten and firm the skin.

Balms and emulsions tend to be emollients, designed to smooth and soothe the skin.

After-shaves are generally the weakest of concentrations, but some vintage splashes are as strong or stronger than some recent EDTs.

After-shaves are good if you like the post-shave effects (tonic, emollient). They can also work in tandem with EDTs and EDPs of the same fragrance to extend longevity.

As far as smelling like the stronger concentrations, it's a gamble. Some do, others not so much.

Emulsions have moisturisers or other skin particle-based skin products added. A balm usually is a soothing ointment. After shaves are low in the products' ladder of fragrance concentration, from low to high fragrance/essence concentrations: body lotion -> After shave -> Eau de Cologne -> Eau de Toilette -> Eau de Parfum -> parfum/extract (highest concentration).
    All three should have about the same fragrance/essence concentration. After shaves can be helpful for layering such as to enhance projection and longevity in addition to the care component; whether they are a waste of time depends on the product and on the individual skin.

I sometimes find aftershave a good way to sample a scent if decants or samples are not available, but one cannot draw conclusions as to silage, projection and longevity based on after shaves only.
    Last edited by rbaker; 11th May 2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Computer error

I'm unfamiliar with emulsions.

In general,
    Balms don't sting but splashes do.
    Balms sooth the skin and act as a moisturiser, whereas very few splashes do that (with some noticeable exceptions like Skin Bracer, Trumpers and Catalyst)
    The scent from balms generally doesn't last quite as long as that from a splash, and it can often be slightly different, whereas the splash is the same as the EDT.
    Balms can go off over time, but splashes don't seem to.

The strength of aftershave splashes can vary quite dramatically. With older scents, where sales in the US were mainly for splashing on the face (people hadn't taken to spraying EDT back then), the aftershave splash can be as high in strength as Eau de Cologne. You can actually use them as a good splash cologne under clothes. For newer scents, the aftershave splash is often pretty weak, and is just meant to be a layering adjunct to the EDT and is not the prime source of scent, the way the older ones were.

Are they worth having? As part of a gift set where they don't cost too much - the answer for me is yes.
    But bought individually they are too expensive. Especially as you can make your own aftershave splash by mixing EDT with witch hazel, and make your own balm by mixing EDT with fragrance neutral balm.

Also, I have a number aftershave gels - in general they go on like balms but sting like splashes and have litlle or no soothing effect.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boge View Post
    Search Function broke?
    Self appointed moderator, it seems.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th May 2013 at 09:27 AM.

All the above mentioned type of aftershaves have same concentration of scent except that.....

Splash- For oily face
    Emulsion- for normal face
    Balm - Dry face

Terre d'Hermes and Chanel Allure Homme make emulsions après rasage.

It depends on the mood really.

I like aftershaves when I'm in the mood for a slap in the face. Very energizing.

I'll mostly use balms if I'm shaving at night and use the aftershave balm instead of a moisturizer.

I've never see anything as moisturizing and long lasting as the Alt-Innsbruck emulsion.

for swap/sale:

I'm not sure about the difference between an emulsion and a balm, a true emulsion (or should that be "emulsifier", I think it ought to) should breakdown fat ( so I guess its a lotion containing fats) but I'm not sure how that relates to a skin product.
    The precious posters have summed up most of the issues, I will just add that some excellent classic aftershaves can be picked up for a song on ebay that seem to have the same original ingredients as the much sought after vintage EDTs, albeit with lower concentrations, but as some have pointed out, some are still more potent then many contemporary EDTs.
    Also, wearing an aftershave with it's corresponding EDT can add an extra dimension to the overall affect,giving more of a "symphony" of notes.
    Last edited by martinijo; 11th May 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcastano View Post
    Also, are the aftershaves of a fragrance worth getting or just a waste? Thanks again!
    For me personally, they are a waste and would never consider buying them but know a lot of people who like them.

Aftershaves splashes tighten the skin. Balms smooth and cool the skin. Emulsions moisturize, sooth and usually is the final step in facial treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Splashes are usually traditional after-shaves, which are astringent, designed to tighten and firm the skin.

Balms and emulsions tend to be emollients, designed to smooth and soothe the skin.

After-shaves are generally the weakest of concentrations, but some vintage splashes are as strong or stronger than some recent EDTs.

After-shaves are good if you like the post-shave effects (tonic, emollient). They can also work in tandem with EDTs and EDPs of the same fragrance to extend longevity.

As far as smelling like the stronger concentrations, it's a gamble. Some do, others not so much.
    This.

Thank you to everyone for going out of their way to post on my thread just to answer my question so thoroughly! I love you guys! I sincerely appreciate and respect you all as well as cherish your knowledge! May life bring you all many many blessing!

While this thread is up, can we add an After Shave Tonic to the mix. Does anyone know what that is?

I forgot to add - if aftershave splashes sting too much on your face (I used to hate them) if you use an alum block after your shaving, it tends to take the sting out of the aftershave splash's sting.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I'm not sure about the difference between an emulsion and a balm, a true emulsion (or should that be "emulsifier", I think it ought to) should breakdown fat ( so I guess its a lotion containing fats) but I'm not sure how that relates to a skin product.
    The precious posters have summed up most of the issues, I will just add that some excellent classic aftershaves can be picked up for a song on ebay that seem to have the same original ingredients as the much sought after vintage EDTs, albeit with lower concentrations, but as some have pointed out, some are still more potent then many contemporary EDTs.
    Also, wearing an aftershave with it's corresponding EDT can add an extra dimension to the overall affect,giving more of a "symphony" of notes.
    Lol!
    That should read "previous posters" not "precious" though that maybe works as well.

I prefer the "splash" if only because the alcohol has disinfectant properties. The only problem is that nowadays few fragrances come in afterashave spash form.

My second choice is unscented aftershave "gel", and I can layer that with whatever EDT I want to wear.