Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Amouage - Afrah Attar

Among all Amouage's Attar, one has always intrigued me: Afrah. I haven't ever smelled it.
    Can anyone describe?
    Someone sayd that it reminds Molook with a big, roaring, feline in top (Champaca). Someone sayd that it reminds a Gold Man with tons of civet and an outstanding sillage.

Top Notes: Taifi Rose, Basil, Champaca
    Middle Notes: Silver Oudh
    Base Notes: Ambregris, Sandalwood

Default Re: Amouage - Afrah Attar

no simmilarity wit molok at all.

frst blast you get champaca and the basil... the rose is there but it is more in the back ground.
    the basil and champaka together...it makes it go beyond oriental... oriental as n Arabian.
    Ths becoems more indian but without spices.

the silveroud and rose , becoem more prominant in the final 3 to 4 hours.
    sandal and ambergris are supportive to the other notes. it is my favorite.

Basenotes Member

Sounds good! I've always found the Amouage's Attar very evocative, but difficult to contextualize.
    Champaca should "play" very well with the power of silver oudh and the salty base of ambregris.

it is truley unique . and i think u snesed it well.. the champaka and silver oud on the salty ambergris is a great combination.

I have a very small sample hidden somewhere, but from what i remember
    Is a very up but bland and peppy and with a hint of rose at the same time,
    its almost as if
    a car started at 100kmph and suddenly stopped at 0, I dont really get
    it.

Might depend which vintage you have

mine was specially made for me..i know the man who runs the oman flagship store. and he was so kidn to ask the factory to
    make a 30 ml for me.

Basenotes Member

Tested and it's extremely complex. Champaca is wonderful in high-quality absolute: animal, fruity, musky with a "vanille-sandalwood" finish. The combination with the most balmy and smoky Oudh (Silver Oudh) and the dusty-animal-salinity of Ambregris is a great constrast. To make things more difficult... a trail of basil. So strange, so beautiful.

I am very curious to try also Bahjah (animal musk??) and Shams Al Doha. Someone knows them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    mine was specially made for me..i know the man who runs the oman flagship store. and he was so kidn to ask the factory to
    make a 30 ml for me.
    oh so nice.....so mine were made there too?? cant wait to get that Jasmine and Badr al badour attar.....

is someone selling Afrah? ....so far i could not find any info on Afrah....would you say it is more masculine or feminine scent?

Just noticed this when reading the rules & thought that it might be of interest.

2.2 The Basenotes Community is not a venue for personal or private vendettas.

Keep your personal business as just that – personal. This forum is not a venue for the resolution of personal disputes with members or companies.

@Filomele - there is info. on these two elsewhere on site, I'm quite certain.
    Last edited by lpp; 13th May 2013 at 09:40 AM.

Basenotes Member

I did a search before I wrote. Otherwise, I wouldn't have opened the topic.

Aplogies, Filomele - have Shams somewhere but don't remember it in detail, apart from the saffron, someone will, or I'll dig it out later.

Edit: Have had a pretty good search, but have probably passed it on.
    Last edited by lpp; 13th May 2013 at 01:31 PM.

I absolutely agree Afrah bares no resemblance what so ever to Molook...two different beasts but truly gorgeous. Afrah however bares some resemblance to Gold....just replace the civet with oudh and the soapiness with fruitiness from the champaca and the silver oudh. Truly amazing and complex fragrance which I think matches Tribute interms of tenacity and projection....Actually I think it beats it. I love wearing Afrah in the summer but have to go very easy...you only need one drop literally....no exageration!

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    no simmilarity wit molok at all.

frst blast you get champaca and the basil... the rose is there but it is more in the back ground.
    the basil and champaka together...it makes it go beyond oriental... oriental as n Arabian.
    Ths becoems more indian but without spices.

the silveroud and rose , becoem more prominant in the final 3 to 4 hours.
    sandal and ambergris are supportive to the other notes. it is my favorite.
    For some super rare goodies check me out on ebay: scents-rarity
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512613529...84.m1555.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by Filomele View Post
    Tested and it's extremely complex. Champaca is wonderful in high-quality absolute: animal, fruity, musky with a "vanille-sandalwood" finish. The combination with the most balmy and smoky Oudh (Silver Oudh) and the dusty-animal-salinity of Ambregris is a great constrast. To make things more difficult... a trail of basil. So strange, so beautiful.

I am very curious to try also Bahjah (animal musk??) and Shams Al Doha. Someone knows them?
    Think Bahjah may be a citrus one.
    Did u mean Basma?
    Zahra's website is usually a pretty good guide.

Amouage are most unlikely to be using any animal musk imo - they normally add 'musk abyadha' - a synthetic white musk afaik, but happy to be corrected on this.

Suggest sample first if in doubt.

Hopefully, someone else may add more.

Nah Ipp :-) in bahjah they do use animal musk but in very light dosage. To me Bahjah is disappointing imho as it disappears in two hours albeit it is a gorgeous frankincense and musk blend. Also dont rely too much on Zahras :-s.....Zahras information can be slightly misleading....when you read about Afrah you will see that they got the notes and composition wrong. But overall an great place to source the odd oils.
    Basmah was also too light in my opinion but its one that I dont have and when I tried it I was not really blown away. Ohood was quite gorgeous green and oudhy if I remember correctly and quite herbaceous. Shams al doha is another good one too and I think you can find 3ml of it for sale for 45 on the Feeloudh website. Its a beautiful mixture of damask rose basil cambodi oudh and the famous oudh al khaloudh(OAK). To me a very woody herbaceous rose which just leaves you with a warm oudhy aura thanks to the OAK

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    I absolutely agree Afrah bares no resemblance what so ever to Molook...two different beasts but truly gorgeous. Afrah however bares some resemblance to Gold....just replace the civet with oudh and the soapiness with fruitiness from the champaca and the silver oudh. Truly amazing and complex fragrance which I think matches Tribute interms of tenacity and projection....Actually I think it beats it. I love wearing Afrah in the summer but have to go very easy...you only need one drop literally....no exageration!
    amazing how one chnages his mind in a matter of months??

this what i found what you wrote in january....

sultanpasha
    sultanpasha - 14th January 2013, 01:18 PM

Hey acer3 when i say complete, i meant the ones i wanted and could afford. I got 14 of them but am thinking about shams al doha as the final one. Farah is one I've not smelt yet although from my research i know its more expensive than oudh al kholoudh(OAK) and was not available in the UK. I know Zahras have it in their catalogue but they adviced me its discontinued so unfortunately could not sample.
    OAK is an interesting one, its like no other oudh oil that I've smelt. Its very ethereal and from begining to end it leaves a very warm but slightly wet woodiness with very little barnyard. Its almost like amouage have discovered a way of extracting the best parts or personalities of an oudh and put them in OAK. Me and another BNoter Trebor sampled OAK together and agree that its not a single oudh but rather a mixture of different oudhs, as it captures the best qualities of an hindi and cambodi.....but not 100% sure as to origins. If you have ever smelt my favourite Al Shomoukh especially the first few hours ie the very ethereal woody start i think its very similar to OAK from begining to end. Overall although i like it, i dont like it enough to part 600.
    Interms of Afrah..........yuk! Well each to their own i suppose. Very very strong civet driven fruity rose attar. Altough on the notes Amouage does not include civet, i could most certainly sense its presence and so could Trebor. stuff smells almost like Gold for man which I'm not a fan of. Very tenacious infact one of the strongest attars by Amouage that I've smelt......the civet or whatever it is that produces the intense fruity note is constantly there even after a number of washes of my hands...... It's however very reasonably priced 155 although can't be found in UK no more. Hope that helps!

sultanpasha are you having AFRAH on sales thread??

i think i saw it there??.....

i hope this view helps too

on Zahra page i read its mainly worn in WINTER.....

now i only wonder wich summer did you wear it in if this was written in january??
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th May 2013 at 10:51 PM.

I'm allowed to change my mind Ivana....and after getting Afrah my self I got to really appreciate it. I hated Gold originally but now I like it...a persons taste changes as they become more refined. I originally hated hindi oudh and now I love it....so what do you have to say to that?.....
    What I'm expressing here is my honest opinion about Afrah as it is a thread about Afrah.....and surely I can do that here without any childish petty knit picking and abuse?
    Yes im selling Afrah and I'm selling other attars........so? Am I not allowed to voice my honest opinion? :-)
    Ivana seriously hun :-) you need to listen to what people already have counselled you on......and please seriously sort yourself out.

Well said SP.

O.P. is seeking advice, not the airing of personal grievances in which he has no involvement.

Banned

@ sultanpasha

Well i just read you wore it in the summer and wanted to ask which summer did you have from January 2013, i know people can change their mind, just saw it recently....

@ lpp what personal issues do i have with AFRAH attar? It would be interesting to hear.

Since i know all about amouage attars i thought it would be pity not to share it here, OP should know who is giving him advice , rather then what advice is he getting...the same as i say its important who you buy things from and not which things...but this is topic for another thread, under scamms....
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th May 2013 at 11:40 PM.

I am so sorry Filomele - perhaps we could continue this discussion privately if you wish.

............it's spring/summer in the UK right now......well maybe not the last few days.... :-D

Too much personal stuff here.