Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Givenchy Gentlemen Only

I generally stay away from the citrus, pepper, and patchouli variation of "safe" dept. store fragrances...to my nose, they all smell alike. I ran across Givenchy Gentlemen Only, and at first spritz, thought it was exactly like the thousand others, but on dry-down, it is beginning to appeal to me. Anyone else have experience good or bad with this Flanker?
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Re: Givenchy Gentlemen Only

Givenchy Gentleman isn't a flanker- it's a true classic.

I know that there are a lot of men who wear 'female' scents on BN, but I'm one of the women who wear 'male' fragrances, and I LOVE Givenchy Gentleman

It has to be worn very gently or it announces its presence to people two rooms away, but when it's worn subtly it is truly sublime.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

I have sampled it recently. It is a pleasant non-offensive scent. Unlike sfmedusa I don't find it overtly loud. This would be a great office scent.

Cheers Rex

I tried it several times. Last night was the most recent. I personally don't care for it. I can't put my finger on it but it smells like something. Maybe grape scratch and sniff stickers that used to be popular in the 80s.

Sound Scents

I tried it a few weeks back. It was pleasant enough and better than most of the junk being released nowadays, but not really a standout, IMO. It also really has nothing to do with the far superior smelling original Givenchy Gentleman to my nose, at least.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thought it was weak, so I sold it.

Bought this when it first came. Actually like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Givenchy Gentleman isn't a flanker- it's a true classic.

I know that there are a lot of men who wear 'female' scents on BN, but I'm one of the women who wear 'male' fragrances, and I LOVE Givenchy Gentleman

It has to be worn very gently or it announces its presence to people two rooms away, but when it's worn subtly it is truly sublime.
    As you've probably gathered, the OP is about the new flanker "Givenchy Gentleman Only" not GG which is one of the all time greats for me in it's original formulation.
    I haven't tried the new one, I can only imagine myself being disappointed. I will give it a try when I come across it though.

Decent aquatic IMO. Tested in in Sephora last week. Projection and longevity is average. Ebay worthy IMO.

Office Worthy.

Blog Entries

I have been on a "Pet Peeve" lately about all the new dept. store frags that smell exactly alike. I started a thread in "Starting Out" last week about that. After smelling the thousandth citrus/pepper/patchouli frag, I couldn't tell the difference. "Givenchy Gentlemen Only" did seem to stand out a bit among the rest....I like it...BUT it is a "Flanker" in the sense that it rides on the original's name, and is more of a 'sport' fragrance. It doesn't build much on the original's notes though.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Office Worthy.
    I tend to agree. A daily, office scent. Formality with little dose of casual.

Not much resemblance with the initial Givenchy Gentleman, all in all, an unremarkable, but also thankfully inoffensive and rather pleasant regular quality flanker on the sweeter (yet not excessively sweet) side.

this does not hold a candle to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I tried it a few weeks back. It was pleasant enough and better than most of the junk being released nowadays, but not really a standout, IMO. It also really has nothing to do with the far superior smelling original Givenchy Gentleman to my nose, at least.
    I couldnt agree more.

Im not so interested to see what happens in the dry down here.

I don't like the original, but I'm not keen on this either. It's just alright.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I loved the original. The flanker smells very good but is a watered down version. I guess that makes it office safe. I don't find it to be bottle worthy. I'd rather stay with the original.

Banned
    Blog Entries

gentleman only is alright. seems like a typical fresh-woody scent. not bad. not good either. honestly, i wouldn't buy it.

Not a fan of this one. Mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    As you've probably gathered, the OP is about the new flanker "Givenchy Gentleman Only" not GG which is one of the all time greats for me in it's original formulation.
    I haven't tried the new one, I can only imagine myself being disappointed. I will give it a try when I come across it though.
    Ah, that would explain anybody thinking that GG was weak and aquatic. Apologies for mixing the two up.

Why do houses have to give so many scents such very similar names? And why do they have to sell something completely different under the name of treasured and discontinued scents too? It's not like phone numbers where there aren't enough to go around without reusing the old names, is it?
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I ran across Givenchy Gentlemen Only, and at first spritz, thought it was exactly like the thousand others, but on dry-down, it is beginning to appeal to me.
    I had a similar experience, testing it briefly on paper. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get into the drydown. Based on the opening, though, I wouldn't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Ah, that would explain anybody thinking that GG was weak and aquatic. Apologies for mixing the two up.

Why do houses have to give so many scents such very similar names? And why do they have to sell something completely different under the name of treasured and discontinued scents too? It's not like phone numbers where there aren't enough to go around without reusing the old names, is it?
    JUst marketing. They must have worked out that they would sell more if they used the Gentleman name

I must confess Gentlemen Only is a truly good fragrance. It is different from the most of recent releases either aquatics or sweet "1 Million" bombs. I would describe Gentlemen Only as subtle milky peppery in the style of L'Artisan Poivre Piquant, for example. What I feel is modern fruity semi-sweet molecules, a lot of pepper / incense with a woodiness in the dry down. The result is a bit soapy, though elegant soft woody peppery scent. The longevity is inposing. Highly recommend.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Only tried it once, but definitely stands out from the recent designer scents. Still I don't know if it's bottle-worthy, but for office I reckon it's ideal. Just don't try to compare to the original. I had that one, nothing alike.

I find it to be a very synthetic, poorly blended fragrance that stays close to the skin on me. I was expecting so much more.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

interesting flanker ..won't buy it again, though!

Mediocre at best.

Blog Entries

Tried it a few times, and it's decent at best. IMO, there are better scents out there.