Code of Conduct

Thread: Diet and smell

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diet and smell

Hi guys, I just wanted to report a change that occurred to me almost a week back. I live in South Asia and the smells and diet preferences are different (well exactly as all over the world).

Well I had purchased TdH months ago and I was not into it I'd say, the culprit was that rubbery kind of note the used to throw me off. I never seem to adjust to it until recently. It happened because of a simple change in my diet, where I started eating food different than what I usually ate due to me being sick.

It happened when one of my relatives came from US to stay with me and brought some powdered juices (orange flavoured). The first time I had that juice it was totally different from the ones available here and I didn't set with me all that well. But then I gave it more chances (my inner fat kid loves to give any food a chance) and I started to like it more and more to a point that I drink it instead of water. Then 2 days back I was looking for a fragrance to wear in 33 degrees Celsius and I thought why not give Tdh a chance I've already neglected it long enough. I was ready to be hit by that nauseous rubbery note while squeezing the sprayer and I waited and waited and it never came, I was like wdf did my bottle spoil or something and I sprayed both my wrists and sniffed them and still no rubbery note. I tried this over the past 2 days and came to the conclusion that I must have gotten used to the orange note in Tdh due to the orange juice.

I know that our taste buds are connected to our nose and sense of smell which makes us know the flavour of anything we eat but I never thought it would work in reverse and make my nose get accustomed to a smell.

Has anyone else got any similar experiences? Plz share

Thanks and cheers

Default Re: Diet and smell

I find your experience fascinating, but personally have never had anything similar happen to me.

You findings are completely normal. Many diet items (herbs, spices, etc) have aromatic compounds that are excreted through sweat. A strong example is fenugreek - you will smell like fenugreek through your skin, breath, and urine after consuming it.

Therefore, what you eat will definitely affect how your skin smells, which will affect how cologne smells after being applied to your skin.

A change in your diet will also change the microflora in your gut, which will, in turn, change what you absorb from your food. That can change the way you smell because the compounds you absorb will differ, changing your body chemistry.

JC

Good observation. Never happened to me though.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't discount something like that at all. Spices,herbs,garlic, etc. can come rise to the skin surface if eaten in excess in my experience.

A couple of months back, I ended up with 5 coronary stents due to extensive coronary artery disease and have since started a vegan, (hopefully) disease reversal diet. It was a very drastic change from fast food,meats, dairy, etc.
    Anyway, interestingly, I do NOT notice a change in any scent that I had previously used but I do notice that my sense of smell is much more acute and usually, less of the juice is required to get the desired effect.

Because of going vegan, I was expecting things to work differently with my skin chemistry but that hasn't happened at all.

Tastes in scent can change, I think you're over-analyzing it.

Unfortunately, it has gone the other way for me lately - I used to love my TdH - the last 2 times I wore it it smelled a little rubbery to me. Thought it was going bad, but it's not very old - and I got the same rubbery vibe from my new Vetiver Extraordinaire. I hope my nose comes back, because those are [were?] two of my favorites.

Sounds like I need to go back to eating better - thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Unfortunately, it has gone the other way for me lately - I used to love my TdH - the last 2 times I wore it it smelled a little rubbery to me. Thought it was going bad, but it's not very old - and I got the same rubbery vibe from my new Vetiver Extraordinaire. I hope my nose comes back, because those are [were?] two of my favorites.

Sounds like I need to go back to eating better - thanks for the tip!
    You must have been eating something from another continent I dare say because that was the case for me. Every region has its own take on different items.

Post Thanks / Like

There is this chain of Armenian Lebanese rotisserie chicken restaurants in LA called Zankou Chicken that I love. They have this garlic paste that is like crack to me, and I slather it on every pita stuffed with chicken, tomatoes, hummus and pickled turnips. We are talking like a teaspoon to a tablespoon per bite. Anyway, the next day I have garlic exuding from every pore, so I need to plan my social calendar accordingly, or just make sure I'm with the same people who ate it.

And on a different note, those natural deodorants never really worked for me before I quit smoking. If I didn't wear some Mitchum gel or similar chemical spackle, my pits would start to smell by the afternoon. But now, I barely need any deodorant at all most days, and haven't touched my Mitchum in years. Quitting smoking was the only thing I changed in my "diet."
    Please check out the bottles and samples in my swap list.

Post Thanks / Like

Your observation is valid. We taste salty and sour and bitter food, but the flavor is smell not taste? So with you drinking the orange juice daily, your smell for that specific smell ( orange) weakened( got used to it) .
    Current top choices:
    1- Clive Christian X
    2-Clive Christian C
    3- Portrait of a lady
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- Chergui
    10- Tom ford Tuscan leather

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I wouldn't discount something like that at all. Spices,herbs,garlic, etc. can come rise to the skin surface if eaten in excess in my experience.

A couple of months back, I ended up with 5 coronary stents due to extensive coronary artery disease and have since started a vegan, (hopefully) disease reversal diet. It was a very drastic change from fast food,meats, dairy, etc.
    Anyway, interestingly, I do NOT notice a change in any scent that I had previously used but I do notice that my sense of smell is much more acute and usually, less of the juice is required to get the desired effect.

Because of going vegan, I was expecting things to work differently with my skin chemistry but that hasn't happened at all.
    Sorry to hear that. I know that having even one stent in place is not pleasant.
    Best wishes for a full recovery.
    I understand how much cleaner your whole system will be on a simple vegan diet. All your senses should sharpen up and maybe you will get more from your frags, if that's any consolation.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

probably has something to do with our PH balance.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes food definitely alters the smell of skin. Indians for example, especially those in the South (Malabar and Kerala) have a distinct smell that comes from the type of spices they eat. I observed the same in Zhejiang, China.

As said above, fenugreek reeks.

for swap/sale:

I havent had the OP's reaction ever...Only thing I smell when hungry though will be food; brain functioning is slower when u dont have much energy, so knowing that, i exclude all other olfactory longings till i eat

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with lots of people above - it stands to reason that if you smell different (because of your diet or otherwise), then your fragrance will smell different on you.

People who eat a lot of meat have a particular smell also.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with many of the comments above and the OP. I recently did a 180 on my diet, going almost nearly vegetarian. I eat almost nothing but veggies and beans and rice and have started training for a marathon, running between 20-30 miles a week. I have lost about 30 pounds in four months and fragrances seem to be much more intense and longer lasting since then. The actual scents havent changed on my skin but they do last much longer and seem more concentrated. I wasnt expecting this to happen but I am not surprised by this at all.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope it works, Evogel & good luck.

See for further info :-
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...at?INTCMP=SRCH

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Good observation, will try and experiment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Vegan's diet consume a significant amount of soy products as it is one of the main source of protein for vegans. Although it may not easy to find a legit organic soybean these days, try to find an alternative to replace soy as well as corn and the products that contain corn syrup (soda, cereal, confectionery and such). Because the gmo bio-tech corps would do more harm than good to your body in the long run.

Sorry for being off topic here.