Code of Conduct

Exclamation I think something's wrong with me

I just can't like vetiver.

Like any scent that's vetiver based doesn't do it for me. Everyone else seems to have a favorite or two that's a vetiver, but to me it just smells like salty wood

I like other woody fragrances, I happen to love Wonderwood and, cliche as it is, oud is my favorite note, but there's something about vetiver that smells off to me.

I even like fragrances that have vetiver in them such as the aforementioned Wonderwood but...

All the vetivers I've tried (Guerlain Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver which I probably tested 10 times, others I can't remember off the top of my head) have either underwhelmed me, or in the case of the Tom Ford thoroughly offended me.

So what's up with me? Everyone else seems to like at least some vetivers, is there something I'm missing?
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Default Re: I think something's wrong with me

I don't think it's strange at all. Some people just have an aversion to some notes present in fragrances.

While I personally like the note, I'm sure you're not alone on this. Different strokes for different folks.

Nothing wrong at all...
    Just a matter of personal taste...there's plenty of
    awesome fragrances out there to enjoy that aren't
    vetiver...go for what pleases you...

I like vetiver a lot and have worn vetiver fragrances for decades. Despite its widespread use in perfumery I would describe vetiver dominant fragrances as challenging, even after my long experience with them. Vetiver smells intriguing and a bit odd to me rather than pleasant. I can easily understand why someone would not like it. It is highly distinctive and rather uncompromising on its own.

Do you like the soapy vetivers like Creed Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, or Adolfo Dominguez? What about a woody, slightly sweet vetiver like L'Occitane? Or a dry, woody, incense vetiver like Comme des Garcons 2 Man? You might like vetiver better toned down and more blended.

There are a few interesting twists on vetiver out there in which it's considerably softened. Lubin's Figaro is a good example of this. I'm honestly not a fan of the note myself, and I dislike the one's you mentioned also, but strangely, I do enjoy Encre Noire.

This is very common. Vetiver tends to dominate a fragrance. To be honest I am not a big vetiver fan of vetiver dominant fragrances. Vetiver, the note alone is beautiful and earthy. And as a supporting note, you would be surprised what fragrances use the note and what it has done to the perfume industry in general. I have had the same problem.

Please give these suggestions a chance. Most likely you will love a few of these beauties.

Diors Vetiver
    Vetiver Fatale by Atleier
    Vetiver Tonka by Hermes
    Original Vetiver by Creed
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver
    Timbuktu by L'Artisan
    Fat Electrician by ELDO
    Givenchy Vetiver
    Frederick Malle Vetiver Extrordinaire
    Comme de Garcons 2 MAN

I actually LOVED CdG 2 MAN, but it reminded me of John Varvatos actually more than any kind of vetiver. I did also like Mugler cologne, but again I found it not to be a vetiver scent (to my nose it was a citrus). Are there any vetivers you can think of that smell absolutely nothing like the Tom Ford? Because I think that in and of itself is tainting my experience with Vetiver. Semi unrelated, but outside of his private blend line, his classic Tom Ford and Tom Ford Noir I'm finding I'm really disappointed by the Tom Ford line. Grey vetiver in particular but I had high expectations for Black Orchid and it dashed those hopes...
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    7. Aventus- Creed
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wall Street by Bond no 9 is my favorite Vetiver

Have you tried Sycomore?

Nothing wrong with you at all. Eventually you will find a vetiver frag you like. I also own Guerlain vetiver and Tom ford vetiver and they are just ok to my nose. You might want to sample Sycamore as it's very popular here at BN. I also adore Chopard Noble Veriver and you might want to check it out as it's among favorite cheapies here. Good luck!

Some excellent blended vetivers are Jo Malone, Patricia de Nicolai, Fragonard, and Mazzolari. I'm sure other posters will recommend other good ones where the vetiver note is toned down and more part of an overall blend. The aforementioned Vetiver Fatal, Fat Electrician, and Vetiver Tonka are excellent suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Have you tried Sycomore?
    Sniffed it today actually. Was pleasantly surprised. A litte research revealed just now that vetiver is the main note in this, is it just blended differently here in a darker heavier way> I tend to gravitate towards darker scents.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    7. Aventus- Creed
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Its normal.

At your current state, you dislike vetiver prominent perfumes but like it when blended with other notes.

for swap/sale:

I am not a fan of vetiver. Really, I don't like it at all. But when I found Sycomore I bought it on the spot. One of my top scents but still not on top. Vetiver is a challenge for me. Sycomore is a womens scent...really? What ever! I no longer search for a vetiver I can get behind. Sycomore is the one for me.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    I just can't like vetiver.
    Welcome to the club. I find vetiver thoroughly repulsive. Even Jardin d'Amalfi, which many people adore, was unappealing to my nose because of the vetiver dry down. Vetiver reminds me of cooked rice with hints if grass and dirt.

Maybe I'll change my mind about it once I smell a good blend.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 12th May 2013 at 01:42 PM.

I went through a similar phase with Vetiver about 4 years ago. Hated it. I now own and enjoy Creed OV, Encre Noire and I recently purchased Tom Ford GV. I'm in a Vetiver phase at the moment. Colognes are like fashion trends with me. As an example, I recently sold off my beloved Creed GIT. I just got tired of it and it no longer had the magic for me. Easy come, easy go. Colognes are just stuff, accessories really.

nothing wrong, IMO.

Vetiver can be a quite challenging note, that takes some getting used to. Sample around, try some vetiver-focused scents and try some where it is a supporting note (even though vetiver can be quite dominant). Get to know vetiver, and if you still don't like it, take a break from it You might find vetiver enchanting in a year or two, as tastes change and we open our minds to other things
    Or perhaps it is just not meant to be, but there are plenty of other amazing fragrances with no or very little vetiver in them
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

To me the best vetivers are scents like Jacomo for Men, Dior Homme, Obsession Night Men, and Roadster, in other words, when it blends into the other notes and a dry/powdery quality is created. Something like Guerlain's I wear once or twice a year.

I cannot stand vetiver too, to me the note smells very old

Nothing wrong with you; it's no crime not to like a note or a fragrance. Just keep an open mind, don't write anything off until you smell it, and move on.

I can take it blended with other notes . Vetiver-diminant frags are not my favorite though. That is normal, I think?
    Current top choices:
    1- Clive Christian X
    2-Clive Christian C
    3- Portrait of a lady
    4- Amouage Dia
    5- New York oud
    6 34 st Germaine boulevard by Diptyque
    7- by killian Pure Oud
    8- coromandel by Chanel
    9- Chergui
    10- Tom ford Tuscan leather

Banned
    Blog Entries

i guess vetiver is second hated to most aqua/fresh scents, mainly dominated by citruses.

Liking or disliking any fragrance notes is definitely not unusual, uncommon or abnormal. However, a possible way to test vetiver in this particular situation would be to gradually sample/become acquainted with fragrances that only have a "milder vetiver note" (not that linear, that grassy, that resinous and/or single-note). Some of these including: apart from the aforementioned Chopard Noble Vetiver, also Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label and Mugler Cologne (vetiver not even being one of the dominant notes in the latter two).

It took me twenty years to enjoy any perfume that featured galbanum prominently. And I used to think aldehydes were only invented to confuse me. Luckily, my persistence combined with the magic of the perfuming wizards have allowed me to learn to enjoy many aromas I used to give up on. Be patient, but don't give up.

Nothing wrong with you, vetiver is a tough note to work your nose around, to this day I still like only a few vetiver fragrances...vast majority I can't stand

Try both of these; more woody than vetiver heavy, u might like them --->>>
    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    What about a woody, slightly sweet vetiver like L'Occitane? Or a dry, woody, incense vetiver like Comme des Garcons 2 Man? You might like vetiver better toned down and more blended.

I also don't care for most vetiver scents. I'm happy about this. Fewer bottles I need to buy.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I cannot wear vetiver at all, turns into bog body on me.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

I also can't stand fragrances where Vetiver is too heavy. Sycamore and Encre Noir are the scents that come to mind when talking about dominant Vetiver, they just don't match well with my skin.

+1.

If the vetiver is too dark or plays too prominent a role, I probably won't like it (Encre Noir and Terre D'Hermes, I'm lookin' at YOU!). I'm still unsure about Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. I don't dislike it, but I haven't decided if I actually like it.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Don't worry about it. Most of us have some note(s) that we don't find pleasing. You are lucky as you know which note you don't like. I have personally one certain note which i can't stand, but i haven't found out what it is. (It's present in Yatagan and Cartier Santos Concentree for example. I think it's some spice or herb)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Vetiver turns up my stomach - verbatim. And yet, Escentric Molecules Kinski is very near to be my next signature scent. I recommend it give it a try.

Dior - Eau Sauvage Parfum....

The vetiver takes a back seat to the sweet Myrrh and this is a seriously amazing frag, I thought after loving this one, that I must be a vetiver guy, but Im more a Myrrh guy I found out. This one you will appreciate I think

I used to be the same way. Hated vetiver. I'm not sure what frag changed my perception of it, maybe it was Hermes Vetiver Tonka. It's still not my favorite, but I don't hate it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by df91 View Post
    I have personally one certain note which i can't stand, but i haven't found out what it is. (It's present in Yatagan and Cartier Santos Concentree for example. I think it's some spice or herb)
    Oh man, that's the worst. I hate when there's a mystery note you can't stand, but can't avoid since you don't know what it is! I have one too. For me, it's something in Terre d'Hermes, Michael Kors Michael, Azzaro Visit and Encre Noir.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

All of the suggestions are actually making me question my hatred.... I like TdH well enough (not my favorite but it's ok) I loved Sycomore, and I found Eau Sauvage to be totally palatable in both concentrations. Is there some other mystery note present in Grey Vetiver that's driving my hatred? To its credit I hated regular old Tom Ford as well at first though I did come around. What else is in Grey vetiver that could be driving this?
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    7. Aventus- Creed
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

I have yet to find a vetiver fragrance that I really care for either. I do however like the fresher grassiness like in Mugler Cologne, Heeley Verveine and a Bond no. 9 that I can't seem to remember (Central Park?). It's the deep rooty smell in vetiver that tends to put me off.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens
    is definitelly worth a try.
    Not too dry, not too sweet, it is just the vetiver you want it to be.

Surely this is just the same as me liking cedar when it's in a blend of things but not when it's just cedar, cedar and more cedar (as in Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour homme)?

When using an oil and water bowl burner at home cedar mixed with sandalwood and then lifted with lemon, neroli and a little lavender is my favourite home fragrance, but cedar by itself gets acrid and deeply unpleasant and I would never dream of using it alone.

I'm sure that there are lots of other things which make up a good mix but don't smell that great by themselves. Even if you never find a vetiver scent that you like, there are hundreds out there which don't include vetiver at all, or as a prominent accord, so just choose from those instead. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with you; your personal preference is as valid as mine, in not liking clove notes.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Nothing wrong. Just doesn't work with your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    All the vetivers I've tried (Guerlain Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver which I probably tested 10 times, others I can't remember off the top of my head) have either underwhelmed me, or in the case of the Tom Ford thoroughly offended me.
    IMHO both of these are very similar, so I wonder how much of it is vetiver and how much is the overall composition of those vetivers.

Have you tried Encre Noire or L'Occitane? Both are very different from Guerlain/TF (and from each other.)

Most likely nothing is wrong with you. Most people have a dislike for certain scents. However, in rare circumstances there can be surpressed scent memories associated with child abuse or a disturbed anal stage. If you feel unsure, please see a professional psychologist.