Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance suggestions for an early-30s male newbie?

Every cologne I have had up until now has been given to me by friends and/or family. I have reached the point where I would really like to find a fragrance that complements who I really am. Since I am completely new to the world of colognes and fragrances, any suggestions at all will be most welcome.

I think I'd like something woody and/or leathery, complex with perhaps just a hint of lavender or jasmine? I'm looking for something comforting like a nice old bookstore, with a hint of the exotic and a dash of sensuality. Idealy, it should be a fragrance that one can savor and enjoy like a sip of fine bourbon. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrance suggestions for an early-30s male newbie?

L'Air Du Desert Marocain or Timbuktu maybe.

Thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely check those out. After browsing on this website, I found something called Vintage, by John Varvatos, that looks promising. Anyone tried that one?

I guess you will get a lot of different recommendations as you point out a lot off different notes.

L'Air Du Desert Marrocain is a very nice amber based spicy scent.

For leathery you could check out Knize Ten or Daim Blond.

Banned
    Blog Entries

To be honest, none of the Varvatos fragrances are good.

+1 on the Knize Ten, but L'eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur would fit your bill. If you want to splash the cash, Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris or CB I Hate Perfume's In The Library.

Guerlain songe ete but doesn't have Jasmine. Also try creed royal oud.

Basenotes Plus

Fahrenheit

Get Knize 10

Banned

Its calling your name.
    It is a floral masculine scent with cedarwood and leather notes.

Quote Originally Posted by smrgol View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I will definitely check those out. After browsing on this website, I found something called Vintage, by John Varvatos, that looks promising. Anyone tried that one?
    It's garbage; I'd avoid it.

For what you described, I'd suggest Puredistance M.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'd suggest Puredistance M.
    And give Cuir Velours a try as well.

Santal Wood by Montale

I personally prefer John Varvatos classic if you were to go with one of his, but the longevity is incredibly poor on all of his line so I'd avoid it. Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef and Arpels sounds like just the thing for you. Leather is the main note, with some sweet tonka bean playing the backup role. It's really quite something, and it fits your description perfectly. The EdT (which I have and think is positively divine, and which lasts forever on my skin to boot) can be had from amazon for under $40. Great bang for your buck

If you want something boozy and woody, and you have the cash to blow, I can't recommend Straight to Heaven by Kilian highly enough. It smells like Cedar aged rum while sitting in an old library with some sweet fruits and nutmeg dashed in for good measure. It's $235 for the bottle but I'd recommend avoiding my mistake and buying the refill (for $135) and decanting it into your own atomizer.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

CDG 2 Man

I can see I came to the right place for advice! You guys are awesome! Now I just need to find a place to get samples of all these suggestions... I actually went out sampling this afternoon and found the Vintage... not bad I guess but not as wonderful as the descriptions led on... I actually quite liked Dark Obsession by CK. Never thought I'd actually like a CK fragrance. Then my wife tells me about a cologne she used to love years and years ago: Baryshnikov original. Too bad that stuff is so rare it's over $200 per bottle! Does anyone know of anything that is comparable to original Baryshnikov?

Basenotes Plus

Puredistance M

Blog Entries

SMRGOL: Be careful. There are members who will tell you all dept. store fragrances are no good. This is simply not true. Go to a Macy's, or upscale dept. store and browse. Try the stuff out on the counter. You do not need to start off in this hobby with a $300 bottle of niche fragrance...there are many good dept. store fragrances. John Varvatos is safe. Also try the True Religion fragrances. Just sample and sniff to find out what you like. You will discover that no matter what your eventual "favorite" is there will be someone on Basenotes who says it is garbage, or that they hate it. That is why this is a subjective hobby. One of the most loved fragrances on Basenotes is Millesime Imperial by Creed. I happen to hate it. If you ask opinions on a particular fragrance, you will get some who love it, and some who hate it. I find opinions to be good only for an idea about Longevity and projection... even that is subjective. I get 4hrs longevity out of Aventus, and think that sucks...others here say they can smell it for 10 hrs...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    SMRGOL: Be careful. There are members who will tell you all dept. store fragrances are no good. This is simply not true. Go to a Macy's, or upscale dept. store and browse. Try the stuff out on the counter. You do not need to start off in this hobby with a $300 bottle of niche fragrance...there are many good dept. store fragrances.
    This is true -- just don't let the Macy's counter ruin perfume for you. I literally had no interest in the subject simply because I thought that's all that was available (and, to this day, there's nothing there that speaks to me). It wasn't until I discovered the non-mass marketed scents that I able to gain some interest. And you can find non-commercial / niche scents for as little as $15, in comparison to a $495 Tom Ford designer fragrance -- so price is moot. So yes, definitely try everything! I still sample what Macy's / Sephora etc. has to offer -- just be aware that those scents are commercial ventures that tend to steer away from artistry/invention and more toward cost-cutting/duping (flankers etc./calone-filled "aquatics"/woody aromatic "blobs"/sugar-bombs) largely designed and aimed at people who don't pay nearly as much attention as fragrance obsessives do. And, for the record, Varvatos' Artisan is one of perhaps three "Macy's" scents that I find to be doing something interesting.

As other have mentioned, what you describe would be ideally matched by Puredistance M. This is one of the pricier scents out there, but that's because it's extrait strength (a tiny amount will go a long way). Plus, it's not like you're a teenager, so some of the more teen-inspired scents might not be as well suited in relation to something like this. I'd get a sample from Lucky Scent if you don't have access to it. Cheers!
    Last edited by deadidol; 13th May 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smrgol View Post

I was thinking of this exact fragrance, the best from the Varvatos line! It is what your looking for.

Give Azzaro Pour Homme a shot. You can grab it up for pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by silvermountainhigh View Post
    I was thinking of this exact fragrance, the best from the Varvatos line! It is what your looking for.
    Judging by what they wrote above, I think the OP tried this and wasn't thrilled by it, Silver. "found the Vintage... not bad I guess but not as wonderful as the descriptions led on"

Terre d'Hermes

Basenotes Plus

Pure Distance M
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather