Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Discuss Creed Fragrances (DRY DOWN ONLY) #Aventus

I've always loved the Creed house, but to be honest, I realized most of their fragrances are frontloaded. Almost all of them smell godly during the first hour. But hours later the projection worsens and the wonderful topnote are gone.

It's hard to analyze a fragrance. Some fragrances are worth owning just to enjoy spraying alone (and probably other people will detect the top notes even during dry down because our nose naturally becomes fatigued to a lot of top notes), but as for performance, that's an issue. You may be putting on a wonderful fragrance, but the time you get out of your car, you may be wearing an average fragrance.

So, discuss about the Creed fragrances AFTER THE FIRST HOUR IT IS APPLIED. Because, this is honestly, making me rethink the Creed house. Here is my personal analysis of Creed fragrances at the drydown.

This is all my personal opinion. Not objective fact.

Green Irish Tweed
    The opening of GIT is the best part, but during the drydown is just sandalwood and ambergris, which is nice, but feels like there is lot missing. The fresh verdant lush gardens are gone. The iris, lemon, and violet (some of the best notes I've ever smelled), gone. The drydown isn't bad, though it does smell a lot like you-know-what, and it's a HUGE step downward from the opening. If the drydown was as wonderful as the opening, GIT would be the best fragrance on the planet - no contest. Too bad it isn't.

Aventus
    To be honest, this one fatigues my nose easily, but it develops excellently during dry down. Moving from pineapple to a beautiful smoky woody vanilla ambergris background. It's really sad to say good bye to the peerless apple-pineapple opening, but if you have a good nose, you can still detect bits of it. So compared to Aventus' opening, the drydown is not as memorable, but compared to most other fragrances in general, the drydown of Aventus is very good.

Silver Mountain Water
    I like Silver Mountain Water's opening. It's not as gentle and pretty as the other fragrances but it's distinct and memorable and just has a wonderful appeal to it in its harshness (which turns some people off, but makes me love it). It smoothens out in drydown becoming softer and subtle. But the drydown doesn't feel like the scent is diminishing or worsening in anyway, but it isn't improving either. It feels like it's developing, changing, and going through an interesting evolution that every fragrance should. It's a subtle journey but it's a wonderful fragrance from start to finish. That weak projection, though.

Millesime Imperial
    Becomes more musky and floral than the flawless fruity opening, but largely smells very similar to the top, but much more subdued. The positive qualities of MI are dampened a bit, but they're still there. The drydown is just a microcosm of the opening. So it's excellent all the way through (projection aside). It's just not as excellent as it was at first.

Virgin Island Water
    This one surprised me. The first half-hour to hour of VIW feels like a generic citrus blast (generic, but done well), but then hours later, I notice a huge difference and an overall improvement. While VIW is not as frontloaded as the other Creeds, the drydown is where the best part of the fragrance is in my opinion. The sugar, rum and coconut, with some trace of the lemon-lime opening blend together exceptionally well. If you look at the Creeds initially and compare them side by side, first impression, VIW may not stand out. But if you were to judge the fragrances 3 hours later, this one would stand out from the crowd IMO.

Original Vetiver
    Original Vetiver improves during the drydown. The vetiver becomes more pronounced, it sweetens and becomes more distinct. An overall improvement. But still, the opening is not as impressive as that of the other Creeds, so it naturally had the most room to improve. I still like it though. This is a relatively better performing Creed.

Erolfa
    Erolfa's performance is basically a bell curve. The top notes are average. The mid-notes/heartnotes are amazing and the base notes suffers. It has a short life cycle too. So the first half hour is average. The hour after that is great. Then the rest of the day it goes back to being average.

Himalaya
    The ambergris and cedarwood add to the drydown, but the musky sandalwood is the memorable part here. I still miss the glacial fruit and pepper notes in the beginning, but the drydown is nice. But way too subtle. It feels like it's dying rather than bowing out. So this is more of a complaint of performance after the first hour than the base notes themselves.

Original Santal
    This changes from a syrupy berry fresh fruity opening to a drydown of cinnamon-vanilla drydown with a good subtle sandalwood note. While the citrus is gone in the drydown, it doesn't feel like it lost anything or became worse than what it was at opening. It just changed to something of equal quality. Good drydown.

Jardin D'Amalfi
    The opening is a little overwhelming, especially with the exaggerated neroli note, but the opening is still enjoyable. My nose adjusts to the parade of citrus around the middle part, and during the drydown the cinnamon note comes out. The middle is probably the best part of the fragrance, but the fragrance is beautiful all the way through and develops wonderfully. This was made to be a drydown and performance fragrance.

So, if I were to ignore the opening and top notes and just rank the Creeds (BASED ON DRYDOWN AND DEVELOPMENT ALONE AND NOTHING ELSE), here's what I would get. This list is tentative and could easily change depending on the weekend, but it's just a general idea.

1. Virgin Island Water
    2. Silver Mountain Water
    3. Original Santal
    4. Jardin D'Amalfi
    5. Aventus
    6. Millesime Imperial
    7. Original Vetiver
    8. Green Irish Tweed
    9. Himalaya
    10. Erolfa

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 12th May 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Default Re: Discuss Creed Fragrances (DRY DOWN ONLY) #Aventus

Excellent post. Any chance you can edit it to add how many hours pass before each of these arrives at its base? I only get 3 hours of the top notes of MI on my skin, sadly.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Excellent post. Any chance you can edit it to add how many hours pass before each of these arrives at its base? I only get 3 hours of the top notes of MI on my skin, sadly.
    Not a problem. The hours, for me at least, depend on the location. Fragrances on my inner elbow for example develop twice as slow as fragrances on my hand. But I'll give general estimates.

Also, three hours on MI's opening. You are super lucky. I only get one.

Actually, the opening on most of them last a half hour to an hour. Then, the mid-notes last an additional hour (maybe sometimes two). And then the base notes on most of them last until the end of the fragrance. And often, in cases like Silver Mountain Water and Green Irish Tweed, I can smell the base notes 12 hours later, but it's REALLY FAINT.

So I'll judge the longevity based on the point where you cannot smell it unless you literally bury your nose into your skin. But the line between subtle and faint is a very fuzzy line. I sometimes can't tell the difference between weak projection and no projection, know what I mean?

Green Irish Tweed , 4-5 hours
    Aventus , 6-8 hours
    Silver Mountain Water , 3-4 hours
    Millesime Imperial , 3-4 hours
    Virgin Island Water , 3-4 hours
    Original Vetiver , 4-6 hours
    Erolfa , 2-3 hours
    Himalaya , 3-4 hours (sometimes surprisingly longer)
    Original Santal , 12-16 hours
    Jardin D'Amalfi , 5-6 hours

Thanks!

I always thought drydown and base meant entirely different things. Am I wrong about that? I thought drydown is basically the scent once it dries on your skin, just past the initial blast of fleeting top notes used to disguise the alcohol. And the base is the final stage where heart notes have faded.

...am I wrong about that? Does drydown = base?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks!

I always thought drydown and base meant entirely different things. Am I wrong about that? I thought drydown is basically the scent once it dries on your skin, just past the initial blast of fleeting top notes used to disguise the alcohol. And the base is the final stage where heart notes have faded.

...am I wrong about that? Does drydown = base?
    Drydown = mid notes and basenotes (as well as the transition between the two)

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    So I'll judge the longevity based on the point where you cannot smell it unless you literally bury your nose into your skin. But the line between subtle and faint is a very fuzzy line. I sometimes can't tell the difference between weak projection and no projection, know what I mean?
    Yep. I know what you mean. We all judge longevity differently, and I'm not sure if there is a "correct" way. For me, it's the time between when I put a fragrance on and when it can no longer be detected reasonably. In other words, if your nose has to literally touch my skin to notice any smell at all, it's gone.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's hard to say because Virgin Island Water has an amazing drydown, but it's sad because I may be the only person in the room (Even at a personal distance) to appreciate it.

I agree with your assessment though.

Any chance you can add Windsor and Sublime Vanille to your list?

Banned
    Blog Entries

i never tried them.

i would love to try windsor, but it's very hard to find.

Enjoyed reading the OP detailed observations about the dry downs of the different Creeds. Personally, and speaking only for myself, don't pay that much attention to the dry down of any scent let alone any stage of a scent's development.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Enjoyed reading the OP detailed observations about the dry downs of the different Creeds. Personally, and speaking only for myself, don't pay that much attention to the dry down of any scent let alone any stage of a scent's development.
    thanks.

so you basically just spray to get the enjoyment of the opening and then you forget about it?

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    thanks.

so you basically just spray to get the enjoyment of the opening and then you forget about it?
    What I mean is whatever development a scent takes from beginning to end doesn't affect me in the least. I like what I wear from the moment it hits my skin until I can barely perceive it anymore and all moments between.

Drydown-wise on your list Jardin d'Amalfi is my favorite; overall Windsor, Bois de Santal, Vintage Tabarome and Angelique Encens. A great thread, thank you!

I absolutely adore Green Irish Tweeds drydown, one of the best ever in my opinion, where as the opening is a little on the harsh side.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Drydown-wise on your list Jardin d'Amalfi is my favorite; overall Windsor, Bois de Santal, Vintage Tabarome and Angelique Encens. A great thread, thank you!
    i havent tried those exclusives. never will. i'd never tempt myself with something that i could never get a bottle of again if i ran out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post
    I absolutely adore Green Irish Tweeds drydown, one of the best ever in my opinion, where as the opening is a little on the harsh side.
    I came in to post this. I hate the opening of GIT but the dry down is heavenly. For MI, it is the exact opposite.

Excellent post noirdrakkar

Good review of those Creeds. I agree with ya on the VIW. It is one to be apprecieated for the drydown. With that one, you will be the first to smell it and the last one to smell it (even though it is still there).

Great post.

I do agree with your interpretation of Aventus and SMW. Haven't fully tested the others to get a good general idea of the fragrances dry down.

1,3 and 5 would be the best drydowns imo -- some of the others I just don't like parts of the journey. Vetiver 48 had a lovely finish.

Very frankly, I would never spend more than 100$/100ml and in the exceptional
    case that I do, I will never in my life buy a creed.
    If im paying above my targetted prices, I would expect this fragrance to be a
    superstar in all its aspects, including all the 3 phases, projection, longevity,
    sillage.
    And in no case will i ever expect from it batch variations, labels peeling off, quality
    control issues etc.
    If a brand demands that kind of money, not only should they be amazing in every aspect,
    but they should go out of their way to ensure the CONSISTENCY of their quality.
    Ive never brought a Creed in my life and never intend to, thanks to all the posts on
    this forum, ive gained enough scent descriptions about them to satisfy the curious bug
    inside of me. I would buy sample's, tops.
    My views are my own and are in no way enforcing, i understand that there may be some
    who adore this brand, and there is nothing wrong with that, I respect that.
    Its just that when I pay such amounts for a fragrance, I have high expectations.

Note: I have under certain circumstances gone above my 100$/100ml rule and have yet
    never been dissapointed : The orignal formulation of M7, Silver collared DHI and very recently
    a 1.5ml of the 1926 Djedi.

No disrespect meant to anyone whatsoever, and my apologies to the OP for diverting the topic.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Very frankly, I would never spend more than 100$/100ml and in the exceptional
    case that I do, I will never in my life buy a creed.
    If im paying above my targetted prices, I would expect this fragrance to be a
    superstar in all its aspects, including all the 3 phases, projection, longevity,
    sillage.
    This thread is specifically about drydowns, so there's no need for Creed-bashing. If you're not into their stuff, that's cool. No worries, but there's also no need to hate on them. As for your $100/100ml rule, that's fine if it works for you. My rule is a lot simpler. I smell a scent and look at the price tag. Then I ask "Would I pay that much to own it?" If yes, I buy. If no, I don't.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i do agree with him in the sense of the drydown.

many of the creeds have wonderfully beautiful openings, but the drydown isnt nearly as exciting or memorable.

Not much to talk about.

I've got the world's worst skin for longevity and projection, so I'm a little biased when it comes to dry down. FWIW, here are my thoughts:

GIT: The green notes at the top fade away to a beautiful turquoise aquatic. I get the comparisons to CW, but it's a totally different, greener (more green?) scent. It tends to turn a little salty on my skin, so it's hit or miss for me.

Aventus: I thought that this scent was supposed to have killer dry down, but it's average to poor on me. It evolves to a very faint smoke with hints of sweetness. Longevity is questionable on me, but today, I only had to reapply once, and it has been holding all day. I did have three female colleagues comment on my scent. The first told me that it smelled "exactly like a newer version of Polo." I took this as a compliment because she meant to say that she liked the way it smells and doesn't know how to articulate the notes in the dry down. Another female colleague said it smelled like "pine" and the third said it smelled "moldy and musty." I don't know what to say, but I don't think they enjoyed it very much.

SMW: What dry down? As soon as it evaporates, it is gone!

MI: OK dry down, but I'd rather use Sean John Unforettable since it is so much cheaper and has better performance (on my skin). I feel MI has more natural fruit ("watermelon") notes in the dry down, but unfortunately the performance is not worth it.

Virgin Island Water: This one also surprised me! Dry down was a beautiful beachy cocktail. The dry down makes me feel like I'm in Cuba, drinking a mojito with Ernest Hemingway. Its is amazingly long lasting on me. I can't say how much I love this scent.

Acqua Fiorentina: I know this post is in the male fragrance discussion boards, but since it's a Creed, I thought I'd share my thoughts. I bought this for my wife because she loves D&G Light Blue, and I thought she'd appreciate this niche version. This has one of the most heavenly dry downs out there. The apple and fruit notes really shine in the dry down, and it smells like a beautiful fresh bowl of candied fruit. It's Delicious!
    Last edited by BRM85282; 14th May 2013 at 01:50 AM.

This! After about 30 minutes GIT smells downright amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post

This! After 30 minutes GIT smells downright amazing.

This thread is specifically about drydowns, so there's no need for Creed-bashing. If you're not into their stuff, that's cool. No worries, but there's also no need to hate on them. As for your $100/100ml rule, that's fine if it works for you. My rule is a lot simpler. I smell a scent and look at the price tag. Then I ask "Would I pay that much to own it?" If yes, I buy. If no, I don't.
    Hey,
    Again, meant no disrespect, i have the 100$ rule because ive just got my first job and the
    pay is really good for a first job, but still quite moderate. Thats the reason because from
    that salary I have to balance out other factors of my life, including supporting my parents.
    In my world fragrances do not hold enough priority to be spent that much money on, I have
    other things that I have to use that money for, no options there.

I repect your thread and I think it is quite informative for the casual creed blind buyer based
    on the hype, this opens up their eyes on how much value for money are they really getting,
    Good going mate.

Regards.