Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Cool My New Theory...

    I've come to the conclusion that there are three kinds of fragrance popularity (assuming a fragrance can be called popular), and I figured I'd share my thoughts to see if others agree.

    Basenotes Respected: These frags are well liked by everyone, but not commonly mentioned. When they come up in conversation here they get praise, but they're rarely brought up to begin with. They're hardly hidden gems, but they're also kind of under the radar. Still, nobody has any complaints to make about them from what I've gathered.
    Examples: Midnight in Paris, Armani Code,

    Basenotes Popular: These frags are well liked on Basenotes to the point where their fans have become rabid. They come up in more threads than not, and admittedly it's ahrd not to see why. These are often the best of the best; the fragrances most appreciated by those who most appreciate fragrances. Unfortunately this popularity often leads to detractors jumping on the hate bandwagon just to seem cool. Sure there are some people who genuinely don't like these fragrances or were simply underwhelmed, but a lot of the hate comes from people who are quick to hate anything that's popular,
    Examples: Aventus, Montale's entire line (I've seen very passionate fans and detractors of this brand and I cannot place my finger on why)

    Mainstream Popular: The ultimate sin a fragrance can commit is to become popular with the masses. Once every Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing it it's "Cheap smelling, synthetic or generic." There is actually usually an element of truth to those descriptions, but more often than not generic mainstream fragrances are likeable in their own right, if not terribly complex, and I feel like they get a bad rap here on BN.
    Examples: Le Male, 1 Million, AdG

    I'd love to hear others' thoughts on how accurate my theory is (especially form some of you such as hednic who've been around a lot longer than I have). I'd also like to get some descriptions of other categories I haven't fleshed out here.

    Cheers
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  2. #2
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,712

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    I only focus on what I personally like and attempt to filter out the fluff like how popular something is here or elsewhere as popularity has little correlation with quality or my personal taste.

    With respect to your own classifications listed here I get where you are coming from, but your assumption that if a fragrance is popular from a discussion perspective on BN it somehow correlates to it being "the best of the best" is flawed, IMO (with the reverse equally flawed). There are so many fragrances out there nowadays that few on BN (or elsewhere) could possibly try them all, and even of those many that have indeed been tried by most here bias plays a role and only time will tell if they really hold up. I find much more talk here on "flavor of the month" (or year) releases, some of which may indeed turn into classics later-on but that is far from guaranteed, and less discussion of the more established classics that have endured for decades, some even centuries.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

  3. #3
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    There are fragrances that have won respect b/c of how long they have been in production. Many (but not all) BN'ers give them respect. Example Chanel no 5
    There are fragrances that are popular by many BN'ers, either b/c they are in vogue now or b/c of overall goodness. They are not overly obsessed about but given praise when the come up in conversation. Example Creed Millesime Imperial
    There are fragrances that are widely popular AND wildly hated. Mostly b/c some people thrust them into ever thread, making a nuisance of them. They may be a great frag, but people have gotten tired of hearing about them. Pure Malt and Aventus fit here.
    There are a lot of "neutral" fragrances...safe ones. When brought up in conversation, you don't hear much negativity, but you don't hear much positive. They may be dept. store or niche. A Neutral safe frag. would be a Penhaligon's or maybe a Heeley
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,155

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I only focus on what I personally like and attempt to filter out the fluff like how popular something is here or elsewhere as popularity has little correlation with quality or my personal taste.
    This is more akin to the way I think regarding anything that is found in my collection or is to be added to my collection.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    also 212 gets no respect. right their with the other 3 you mentioned. those 3 are all classics though, along with cool water

  6. #6

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    There are fragrances that have won respect b/c of how long they have been in production. Many (but not all) BN'ers give them respect. Example Chanel no 5
    There are fragrances that are popular by many BN'ers, either b/c they are in vogue now or b/c of overall goodness. They are not overly obsessed about but given praise when the come up in conversation. Example Creed Millesime Imperial
    There are fragrances that are widely popular AND wildly hated. Mostly b/c some people thrust them into ever thread, making a nuisance of them. They may be a great frag, but people have gotten tired of hearing about them. Pure Malt and Aventus fit here.
    There are a lot of "neutral" fragrances...safe ones. When brought up in conversation, you don't hear much negativity, but you don't hear much positive. They may be dept. store or niche. A Neutral safe frag. would be a Penhaligon's or maybe a Heeley
    Thanks, and I appreciate the feedback, both from you, and from everyone else. I had figured I'd just post my inner ramblings

    The Neutral category is actually a pretty great idea, and I should Have considered it. Something like Rochas man might fall into that category...

    And as for my "best of the best" comment I'd say that that was definitely an oversimplification, but it's still somewhat accurate. Most of the stuff that gets heaps of praise here is miles ahead of the stuff that most normal people wear in terms of quality, simply because people here care more and put more thought into it.

    Truthfully the "best of the best" comment is meaningless since all frags are a matter of opinion aren't they? For example, lots here on BN seem to love DH and DHI, I personally can't stand DH (haven't gotten my hands on DHI yet)
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

  7. #7

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    I don't think your theory holds much water. For instance I don't like either Midnight in Paris or Armani Code, but I don't bang on about it.

    I don't hate 'popular' fragrances just because they are. I love Aventus and always will.

    'Generic' fragrances, I don't really like, but whether they are 'mainstream' or not won't affect my opinion --

    We are all individuals and not a 'mass' that has this view and that view on any particular fragrance -- long may that continue.

  8. #8

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    Also there is the most hated...

    Such as Bond no.9 which I don't understand, Actually they have some very good fragrances specifically Bleeker St, Brooklyn and Coney Island.

    Another addition to the basenotes popular is anything from Guerlain....that fragrance house simply can do no wrong, even if they're fragrances smell like pure elephant feces someone will call in animalic and hail it the greatest thing ever. A lot of people jump on the hype bandwagon even when they really don't enjoy the fragrance. Lol y'all know I'm not lying!!!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I don't think your theory holds much water. For instance I don't like either Midnight in Paris or Armani Code, but I don't bang on about it.

    I don't hate 'popular' fragrances just because they are. I love Aventus and always will.

    'Generic' fragrances, I don't really like, but whether they are 'mainstream' or not won't affect my opinion --

    We are all individuals and not a 'mass' that has this view and that view on any particular fragrance -- long may that continue.
    The thing about theories is that they're observations and generalizations based on a group or phenomenon as a whole. You and I both have opinions that don't strictly speaking comply with my theory, but we are individuals, as you said, and therefore not indicative of the group as a whole. There is always room for variation plus this is basically just my ramblings, the musings of a madman


    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    Quote Originally Posted by kaizer121 View Post
    The thing about theories is that they're observations and generalizations based on a group or phenomenon as a whole. You and I both have opinions that don't strictly speaking comply with my theory, but we are individuals, as you said, and therefore not indicative of the group as a whole. There is always room for variation plus this is basically just my ramblings, the musings of a madman


    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2
    Hey, I said ..' doesn't hold much water...' there will be probably be some truth in your 'ramblings' -- it's just my observations as you say.

  11. #11

    Default Re: My New Theory...

    just wondering what / how your categorization will help? i choose fragrances based on my liking after sampling. assuming most do the same...categorization doesnt help me, nor will i do it...

Similar Threads

  1. I have a theory, could be a giggle, please help
    By Alityke in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 26th June 2012, 08:35 PM
  2. Theory about testers
    By Zgb in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 7th June 2011, 08:09 AM
  3. String Theory..
    By N_Tesla in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2nd October 2009, 12:03 PM
  4. Theory of an accord
    By Thujopsene in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 1st April 2009, 11:44 PM
  5. I have a theory
    By gator in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 2nd February 2006, 07:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000