Code of Conduct

Cool My New Theory...

*I accidentally posted this same thread in "Just Starting Out" When i meant to post it here. Sorry for the double post*

I've come to the conclusion that there are three kinds of fragrance popularity (assuming a fragrance can be called popular), and I figured I'd share my thoughts to see if others agree.

Basenotes Respected: These frags are well liked by everyone, but not commonly mentioned. When they come up in conversation here they get praise, but they're rarely brought up to begin with. They're hardly hidden gems, but they're also kind of under the radar. Still, nobody has any complaints to make about them from what I've gathered.
    Examples: Midnight in Paris, Armani Code,

Basenotes Popular: These frags are well liked on Basenotes to the point where their fans have become rabid. They come up in more threads than not, and admittedly it's ahrd not to see why. These are often the best of the best; the fragrances most appreciated by those who most appreciate fragrances. Unfortunately this popularity often leads to detractors jumping on the hate bandwagon just to seem cool. Sure there are some people who genuinely don't like these fragrances or were simply underwhelmed, but a lot of the hate comes from people who are quick to hate anything that's popular,
    Examples: Aventus, Montale's entire line (I've seen very passionate fans and detractors of this brand and I cannot place my finger on why)

Mainstream Popular: The ultimate sin a fragrance can commit is to become popular with the masses. Once every Tom, Dick and Harry is wearing it it's "Cheap smelling, synthetic or generic." There is actually usually an element of truth to those descriptions, but more often than not generic mainstream fragrances are likeable in their own right, if not terribly complex, and I feel like they get a bad rap here on BN.
    Examples: Le Male, 1 Million, AdG

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on how accurate my theory is (especially form some of you such as hednic who've been around a lot longer than I have). I'd also like to get some descriptions of other categories I haven't fleshed out here.

Cheers
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Default Re: My New Theory...

I like ur theroy
    and there is some truth in it!

Sure as a generalization it probably has merit. What I think may be more accurate is the following way to think about it:

1. Those who want to "smell nice" for other people (most likely what you consider Mainstream Popular).
    2. Those who want others to notice their scent and think it is distinctive, but not necessarily "nice."
    3. Those who wear scents for their own edification.
    4. Those who are new to niche and/or vintage and post about their new experiences, which some of us may view as "old news" (closest to your Basenotes Popular).
    5. "Chronic samplers," especially niche, who seem to sample so much that one can't imagine them wearing the same scent twice within a year's time!

I like to sample on the ankle area so that I can wear what I like and still try new scents. I also will wear "mainstream" scents for variety, especially if I am going to be around a lot of others. I never think in terms of impressing others with scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sure as a generalization it probably has merit. What I think may be more accurate is the following way to think about it:

1. Those who want to "smell nice" for other people (most likely what you consider Mainstream Popular).
    2. Those who want others to notice their scent and think it is distinctive, but not necessarily "nice."
    3. Those who wear scents for their own edification.
    4. Those who are new to niche and/or vintage and post about their new experiences, which some of us may view as "old news" (closest to your Basenotes Popular).
    5. "Chronic samplers," especially niche, who seem to sample so much that one can't imagine them wearing the same scent twice within a year's time!

I like to sample on the ankle area so that I can wear what I like and still try new scents. I also will wear "mainstream" scents for variety, especially if I am going to be around a lot of others. I never think in terms of impressing others with scent.
    All true.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The OP is largely right, there is a huge disparity between what the average basenoter like and what the average person in general likes. For example, I love to wear 1 Million. Basenoters hate on it now, but 3 years ago, they were all over it like candy.

I think the OP is generally right, but there is overlap within the categories you listed and probably some that werent listed as well.

Speaking generally, theres a lot of accuracy in your theory.