Code of Conduct

Default Green Irish Tweed vs Cool Water

I am partial to GIT, but a lot of people say it smells close to Cool Water. I think that all that matters in the end is that you enjoy the smell and people around you enjoy it. (Although we all have that cologne that is more for us and not the people around us. ) If your average person can't tell the difference, is it better to just snag Cool Water because it's around $20 compared to $315?!

I think Cool Water is more synthetic, but what do you all think?

Default Re: Green Irish Tweed vs Cool Water

What do I think? I think you should use the search function

I own them both. They go in completely different directions.

Smelled both, openings are very very close with the Cool Water smelling more soapy and a little cheaper. Didn't like either so I don't know about the development. If the 2 are close to each other in development then GIT is not worth the 15x price difference, although if you really like it then the higher quality might be worth it.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    That is what I think as well.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Sadly, a lot of people on this Forum do say the two are the same. I'm on record as saying the two were very similar some 8 or 9 years ago (What was I thinking?). At least you can tell there is some difference.

Perhaps there is need of a graduation test from the "Just Starting Out" Forum, where one has acknowledge that the two are different before graduating?
    Cheers,
    Renato

For me Cool Water is very cheap smelling and nasty and GIT is ridiculously overpriced like everything from Creed, but at least it's a good straight forward designer type scent.

I own both also and never thought them to be similar. Each has its merits IMO.

I can see differences and obvs GIT smells "better" as Cool Water is rather synthetic, but I've been told by others around me there's not any difference at all

Always found some similarity, but also significant differences.

yikes

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've tried and compared the two extensively, seeing as how Cool Water used to be my first and only scent for years before I got into fragrances. IMO, both are great values at their respective price points. For, $20, Cool Water is a steal. And GIT can be had for $140 online authentic.

On this forum there will be some people who say that they are really similar or even identical. And then there will be people who say they are NOTHING alike. To me, each time I try it (depending on batch of both of them and plenty of other factors), it's different. Sometimes GIT smells really similar to CW and sometimes it smells worlds apart. Depends on the day and which notes I detect more.

Cool Water is more for the casual customer whereas GIT is more for the collector or a person who is willing to spend more money overall.

Cool Water is a superior version of GIT

If you like GIT and can easily afford it, buy it. Just don't expect miracles because it is expensive, it is just a very nice smell, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfriche View Post
    ... what do you all think?
    They both appear to have a synthetic (dihydromyrcenol) in large amounts, and both have lavender. GIT is muskier whereas CW is sweeter. There are several notes that they do not have in common. You could say Jacomo for Men smells like Dior Homme if you think CW is very similar to GIT, for example, but I'd say JfM is closer to DH at drydown than CW is to GIT, and you don't hear anyone making that comparison. Much depends upon what notes/molecules your mind is focusing on. If you are good at detecting notes you probably won't think CW is especially similar to GIT. CW is reasonably natural smelling, relatively speaking, but I can understand why some perceive it as synthetic because it does have a lot of a synthetic and it is quite sweet. Often when those two things are combined the scent can come across as unnatural. Wings for Men also seems to have a lot of dihydromyrcenol so you should sample all three to see if you are keying in on this molecule.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th May 2013 at 01:20 PM.

The 95% the people around you, will not know the difference between the two.
    "Something" seem, yes!!!

You could try Floris IF, is very similar too

Green Irish Tweed

While there is a certain similarity, they are no identical copies of each other, thus justifying to test/own/get both of them separately.

They do definitely have a similarity but GIT is a far superior scent.

Why is Chez Bond never really in the mix of this comparison?

Oh yeah I forgot Bond no.9 is pretty much disliked on Basenotes. Lol carry on.

Cool thanks for the help. I recently bought Mont Blanc Individuel over Original Santal because I thought it smelled the same and Ill take $40 over $150-$315 any day. I figured I should ask on his one too. (Yes the search function would have been a viable alternative haha)2

Post of the (new) week.

Since this seems to be, perhaps, the number one thread to start for any new member, perhaps the mods should immediately spring into action to combine it -- I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a dozen GIT/Cool Water threads over the past few years.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

But if he uses the search function, he'll find out what a lot of people thought - way back then, when we had a different crew around. In the month or two that have elapsed to the now, people and people's opinions may well have changed.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Cool water "was" a good fragrance. The gods at Creed hate people.

I would go and buy cool water anyday.
    Atleast with davidoff i can rely that no
    matter what, all bottles will smell the same.

They're very similar, but do have a difference. I really not crazy about either of them. Too green for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    I would go and buy cool water anyday.
    Atleast with davidoff i can rely that no
    matter what, all bottles will smell the same.
    That's certainly not true any more! There is a huge difference at least from the most recent Lancaster formulation to the Coty one, IMO.

In the world of these similar fragrances, I rate them such:

1) Chez Bond (added tea-note and killer longevity gives it the edge)
    2) GIT (hard to find fault with this one)
    3) Floris JF (very nice, but longevity a little weaker)
    4) Cool Water (good value)

When I did side-by-side comparisons, I used to think they both smelt exactly the same. After a long time of not wearing CW, I decided to wear it. I was shocked as to how overly synthetic it was to my nose. It was just too over powering for me. I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm assuming my nose matured and I realized just how synthetic CW was from my wearing it.

GIT on the other hand is lovely, a very natural & classy green scent. I own both bottles, but I haven't used CW in ages and I use GIT regularly.

Although people around me may not be able to tell the difference, I for one can no longer stand CW and enjoy wearing GIT.

Quote Originally Posted by spoombung View Post
    yikes
    lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the real answer. Spray GIT On one arm and Cool Water on the other. Buy samples if you need to.

Smell.
    Compare.
    Decide what YOU think.

"If your average person can't tell the difference, is it better to just snag Cool Water because it's around $20 compared to $315?!"

It's better to use your own judgment. What do YOU think? ...do that.

If a guy says he'd rather save and buy Cool Water, he's right.
    If a guy says he'd rather spend more to buy GIT, he's right.
    Only you can decide how you should spend your money.
    Only you know what's worth it to you.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I never loved either one, and still don't.

Cool Water
    used to be a great fragrance, bigger, better, juicier, more durable than Green Irish Tweed. But Cool Water has been reformulated significantly, and is not nearly what it was: thin and boney with a distinct meth lab note. Both of the fragrances contain copious amounts of dihydromycenol (laundry detegent on an aluminum counter). Both of them also led to the clean, sterile, hygienic movement in fragrances that might not have done anything good for perfumery, quite the opposite. The same idea is now smelled in various ways all over malls and department stores worldwide. It's that thing that makes you want to walk fast in order to get past the smell.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th May 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Cool Water
    used to be a great fragrance, bigger, better, more durable than Green Irish Tweed. But Cool Water has been reformulated significantly, and is not nearly what it was: thin and boney with a distinct meth lab note. Both of the fragrances contain copious amounts of dihydromycenol (laundry detegent on an aluminum counter). Both of them also lead to the clean, sterile, hygienic movement in fragrances that might not have done anything good for perfumery, quite the opposite. The same idea is now smelled in various ways all over malls and department stores worldwide. The thing that makes you want to walk fast in order to get past the smell.
    Cereus #7 doesn't have the dihydromycenol overload issue, at least not for me (so if you like the idea of a leathery GIT with less of it, sample this one). Wings for Men may have the most, but I'd have to really study them and I don't like this in large amounts so that may never happen.

I'm in this camp too. I've sampled both but chose to buy neither.

But Cool Water has been reformulated significantly, and is not nearly what it was: thin and boney with a distinct meth lab note.
    I promise I'm being deadly serious when I say, I hope you write a ton of reviews. That was AWESOME. The meth lab note would be my favorite Fragrantica note-icon EVER. lotsalolz
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Depends how much money are you willing to spend on it.
    To an untrained nose (that is, an average nose), they would smell pretty much the same, unless of course, you tell them you're wearing the $200 one and not the $20 one.

I agree that the openings are very very close. GIT stays pretty linear though. CW gets more musky and soapy in the beginning after the first few minutes, into the middle, and then a woodsy dry down. CW is more of a fougere, while GIT is more of a fresh green scent. Either way, I slightly prefer GIT to CW, CW sometimes gives me a headache. While GIT takes CW's top notes and stays this way for hours. I also get an unusual "hot pepper' accord from GIT, that I have seen some people mention before. It's definitley there.

CW has more depth. I have a bottle of CW and if I had GIT, I would probably reach for it more than CW.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Blog Entries

They ARE similar...they ARE NOT identical. It depends on your taste. If you don't mind spending $150 to have random people say "oh! I LOVE Cool Water" when they smell you...go for it. I bought GIT b/c I like it better...but it does smell similar enough to Cool Water that people mix them up.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Aventus
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I prefer Chez Bond to them both...
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I prefer Chez Bond to them both...
    A million percent agree the slight tea note in CB makes it more wearable and longevity is amazing.

Banned

They are miles apart.
    Cool water is disgusting to me

I would prefer GIT or chez bond over the current formulation of cool water.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I would take Cool Water over Green Irish Tweed in a heartbeat.

Its better by a country mile.

I wish for my wallet's sake Cool Water was half as good as GIT. Unfortunately that is not the case.

And I've never had someone mention CW when I wear GIT, just "you smell great".
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Celebrating the 1000th post! That is, claiming that no, they are quite different. Go with GIT, forever.

You know, I sampled CW for the first time after already owning GIT and found them miles different. The Verbena note in GIT gives it a much better citrus opening, and the floral notes in it are totally absent from CW. GIT is just a better blended scent overall and I think that goes without saying. Is it $200 better? That's for everyone to decide for themselves. To me, yes.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

i have almost 'grown up' with cool water, and always felt it is a very nice scent which i never stopped wearing it, and it's still the number one cologne for me in terms of compliments from others. Weird thing is that i was finding a lot of reminiscents of it in the cheap market. Getting more involved to the 'underground/ niche' perfume industry lately, i found out via basenotes that there was another and older scent that ppl say smells like cool water.. GIT by Creed.. a new world appeared in my eyes and mind and started the waiting.. i had to test GIT... After figuring out that i cannot find any store in my country to test it, and unwilling to make a blind buy of the hudreds of dollars, i found surrender to chance site and purchased a sample.And i received it today: i can't know if surrender to chance put CW instead of GIT to my small vial,(for some more profit) but guys, this thing IS cool water... so simply.. i mean ok, there are some slight differences while asking myself which reminds me of other, may be GIT is a bit more fresh, has a cleaner feel of the latest CW but in general it's almost the same essence and definitely noone near can tell..I think both of them are nice cause its the same main thing..
    i think it's a big fiasco that their prices are hazardously different
    BTW can we be sure that the perfumer of cool water had smelled GIT before making his concoction? I know, for me also it seems like copycat but can we be sure for that?>
    Last edited by patsavouta; 29th October 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patsavouta View Post
    i have almost 'grown up' with cool water, and always felt it is a very nice scent which i never stopped wearing it, and it's still the number one cologne for me in terms of compliments from others. Weird thing is that i was finding a lot of reminiscents of it in the cheap market. Getting more involved to the 'underground/ niche' perfume industry lately, i found out via basenotes that there was another and older scent that ppl say smells like cool water.. GIT by Creed.. a new world appeared in my eyes and mind and started the waiting.. i had to test GIT... After figuring out that i cannot find any store in my country to test it, and unwilling to make a blind buy of the hudreds of dollars, i found surrender to chance site and purchased a sample.And i received it today: i can't know if surrender to chance put CW instead of GIT to my small vial,(for some more profit) but guys, this thing IS cool water... so simply.. i mean ok, there are some slight differences while asking myself which reminds me of other, may be GIT is a bit more fresh, has a cleaner feel of the latest CW but in general it's almost the same essence and definitely noone near can tell..I think both of them are nice cause its the same main thing..
    i think it's a big fiasco that their prices are hazardously different
    BTW can we be sure that the perfumer of cool water had smelled GIT before making his concoction? I know, for me also it seems like copycat but can we be sure for that?>
    I ended up purchasing GIT a month ago. I do agree with you that most people can't tell the difference. I do, however, think that GIT (as with all of the Creeds) has a fresher vibe. I do really enjoy Cool Water, as well. I bought my GIT from Beauty Encounter and it smells great/ lasts a long time. (It's legit. I promise. ) I don't think I'd pay full price for it, though. $315 is ALOT of money for any fragrance IMO.