Code of Conduct

Default Autumn/Winter evening scent

I am considering buying one more warm, sweet or spicy fragrance, something that will b inviting on a cold night. I'm a huge fan of Dior Homme Intense, probably my favourite scent bar none, and I also love CdG2Man. They're both very different - the former being all cocoa, iris and cedar sweetness and the latter being austere incense, white smoke and mahogany. Anyway,I love both and feel that my wardrobe is maybe a little top heavy with fresh green and citrus scents. I would like to purchase one more and want to make it something suitable for autumn/winter. Any thoughts on what you prefer out of these?

LIDGE (I have LIDG and really love it for daytime winter wear)
    Tom Ford Extreme (I love Grey Vetiver and I'm keen to test this again despite not liking it the first time I sampled it)
    Givenchy Pi (If it's cloyingly sweet, I'll pass)
    Costume National Homme (Is it too overpowering?)

Which of these -or any other designer fragrances in this category as I can't afford niche - gets you compliments/would you recommend?

Thanks for your advice gents.

Default Re: Autumn/Winter evening scent

My suggestion is Mauboussin M Generation.

M Generation starts out super warm on top with a fruit spicy incense vibe that just radiates off your body. In the middle the spice and wood starts to tango with labdanum, giving an incredibly wonderful vibe that can be compared to Ouarzazate, just less spicy in the middle. The wood base is very nice and clean without any smoke, incense still plays gently in the background at the base...This fragrance is very warm and hugs your body, like a blanket of fragrance. My favorite incense fragrance is 2 Man, followed by M Generation. It won't break the bank either as it can be found on eBay/Amazon for a little over $30.

Thanks rynegne. I must say I've never heard of it, but your description has definitely made me keen to check it out.

From your list, LIDGE would be might choice.

Cartier Santos.

Pure Havane might be a good call, but out of your options I'd pick Givenchy Pi
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Habit Rouge
    Midnight in Paris
    Anteaus
    Rive Gauche
    Must de Cartier

Banned
    Blog Entries

also under 50 bucks that are good for cooler weather are burberry london,cartier declaration and lolita lempicka.

Really was not into Lolita Lempicka when I tested it, but quite like the sound of Cartier Santos. Thanks folks

I would give Him Hanae Mori a try. Sounds like it would fit the bill nicely.

Perhaps Loewe 7? It is a bit different, and gets almost no attention on Basenotes, but it is an amazing scent! Quite affordable as well It has some fruits, spice, florals, incense, vetiver, cedar and musk. I'd like to think of it as a spicier, fruitier Kyoto
    There was a good thread about it some time ago
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/292...al-impressions
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

I would go with LIDGE. Great for Autumn and Winter.

LIDGE and Costume National are both very good scents. They are both potent. Go easy with the sprayer.

YSL Opium Pour Homme eau de parfum

- - - Updated - - -

YSL Opium Pour Homme eau de parfum

I really want to sample Costume National Homme but can't find it in any store. What's it like? Is it similar to any scents in my wardrobe? If it's up against LIDGE and Tom Ford Extreme how does it fare? Do the ladies like it - compliments?

I would suggest Egoiste.

Michael For Men (Michael Kors) is a fantastc evening scent for the cooler months.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Egoiste Concentree.

I would say LIDGE and lolita lempricka but Burberry London is a nice addition too

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtengel View Post
    I would say LIDGE and lolita lempricka but Burberry London is a nice addition too
    I used to have LIDGE and started to get get sick of the patchouli bomb it became in the middle and base. It became sooooo linear. I swapped it away for tom ford extreme and have never looked back.

Going Out: Dior Homme Intense, Pure Havane, Pure Malt
    At home: Chergui, Prada Amber pour homme Intense.
    Out of your list I'd pick LIDGE.

On your list: LIDGE is great
    Also try Burberry London
    I have recently found Five O'Clock au Gimgembre by Serge Lutens to be awesome so far in the colder weather, and you can get it for like $75 on fragrancenet if you can afford that. But yeah check it out if you can.

I see cool suggestions, but I have to add a scent/s that sort get seldom attention lately and both are almost the same - Burberry Brit and Brit Limited edition 2010. (sharper, less powdery). These work wonders.

Karl Lagerfeld Classic if you really like classics, also CK Obsession for men, Chanel Antaeus. Givenchy Pi and Very Irresistible for men (got quite a few compliments on that one). Azzaro Silver Black - fresh and sharp it'll cut through the cold air like cold water in mouth after chewing a mint.
    Zino Davidoff - heavy rose, dark, cigar box scent, Rochas Man or Givenchy Play Intense.
    Carolina Herrera Chic for men, Baldessarini Ambre.
    Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti pour homme - has a connection with LIDGE, but not as gourmand, a great catch for the price.

Among others: Jaipur Homme EDP, Guerlain Heritage, Paco Rabanne Black XS, Uomo Moschino, YSL La Nuit de l'Homme EDP, DHI.

Some may be slightly over the 50$ in larger-sized bottles (though a bit better value for money), but others are available within this price range either as smaller or even as full-scale bottles. And considering that most of them last and project well even applied sparingly, they still remain worthy buys.

Default Autumn/Winter evening scent

I'm thinking Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Santal Noble wouldn't do too badly during this time of year.

Edit: just noticed that you were thinking more designer but still think my recommendation is worth a try at least.

From your list : LIDGE

Not from your list : 24 Gold
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....