Code of Conduct

Default D&G Velvet Desert Oud is out!

Mainstream oud craze continues with what might well could be the best D&G frag to date. GQ's fragrance of the week and t-shirt of the day in one flacon.

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/a...-oud-fragrance

Default Re: D&G Velvet Desert Oud is out!

Oud, almond and rose -- yikes!

Pass

I like Velvet Vetiver & Velvet Wood, so I am probably going to be giving this one a try!

I've heard it said over and over on Basenotes, "I am so done with oud!". Well OUD is NOT done with you!

The above GQ article references new fragrances of oud that I have not seen before and they appear to just keep rolling em out. New are: Lancome L' Autre Oud, Versace Oud Noir and D&G Oud "Velvet" fragrances - D&G Desert Oud and D&G Tender Oud. Both of the D&G Oud's are called "Velvet Oud" same names as the just released MFK Velvet Oud. "Hey Oud, its getting crowded in here". Will I try them? Of course I will. Will these Lancome, D&G and Versace oud wannabes make it to North America? I hope so.

Pass

No!

yawn and pass

Jeeeezzzz.... Oud and rose again???

My Creed Royal Oud will do just fine.

Yaaaay

More oud and rose.

A perfect medley.

for swap/sale:

Spoke with DG people, they plan on opening this line (Velvet collection) in mid June - July in NYC and LA stores.

- - - Updated - - -

Best kept secret perfume in the US. What do you guys think of this notes?

Clay pot Hindi oud, vintage 1930s Mysore sandalwood, Bulgarian red rose, saffron, immortelle, and amber from Mecca

I am a fan of oud but I am struggling to find a new line to like. My problem is that Amouge ruined my nose, I don't seem to like anything else for the moment. I think it is the frankincense combo. Exception would be Guerlain, their Desert Orient line is gorgeous.

Kimo, you've tried MKK cashmere oud and didn't liked it and find Guerlain Desert a better juice? There is nothing oudy about any of the 3 Desert Orient frags. Xerjoff oud stars and Mona Di Orio Oud are also no good enough?

I pray for the oud trend to pass and not let the
    next one be pineapple.
    While im hoping for impossible things, it wouldnt
    hurt to pray for a coffee trend.

More specifically coffee, cacao, vetiver, tonka,
    amber,Hazelnut on a smooth base of incense and
    mandarin root.

The darkest cup of coffee you will let your tastebuds
    indulge in.

fraghead93, oud trend has been around for well over 2000 years in the east. pineapple heads will get their new batch of royal medicine after 4pm in batch Z0123. You comparing something that will never fade with juice for high school kids

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yaaaay

More oud and rose.

A perfect medley.
    Yaaaay \o/
    Looking for split pal - Oud Ispahan and Ombre dans l'eau

When will Sandalwood trend pass or Bergamot? Lol

Oud is here to stay
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Boy oh boy. These designer houses are WAY late on the Oud train

I am waiting when a designer brand will launch a good oud based fragrance?

Everyday a new oud scent is coming on the scene, but none of the is worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by sashamoss View Post
    I am waiting when a designer brand will launch a good oud based fragrance?

Everyday a new oud scent is coming on the scene, but none of the is worth buying.
    Actually, wasn't M7 the one that started the craze? That was a designer oud and it certainly was worth buying. I'm skeptical about D&G Velvet Desert Oud, but I'll definitely give it a sniff if I get the chance, though that won't happen until it expands well past just NY and LA.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

M7 was out over 10 years ago, took a while to catch up. M7 also has a totally different vibe from what is coming out those days. I love it, but it is very different

Very true. Some aspects of the vintage M7 remind me more of Amouage rather than something that would come out of a designer house. And then when you realize Tom Ford also had a hand in Gucci Pour Homme I and II... well... it's no surprise his scents are flourishing in the niche world whereas designer scents he was involved with are being discontinued. M7 would have probably done better as a niche scent. As would Gucci Pour Homme I.

I'd love to know how well M7 Oud Absolu is selling compared to the other YSL cube-bottle rereleases.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Between my Dior Leather Oud, and my Montale Black Aoud I think I have the two most important Oud bases covered (I.E. rose oud and some kind of dirty oud) plus I have the IMHO very wearable and very likable M7 Oud Absolu arriving tomorrow. I don;t think I need to buy this, but the fact that I couldn't due to its Harrods exclusivity irks me. Between this and Versace Oud Noir the brits are hoarding away all the ouds I want!
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Very true. Some aspects of the vintage M7 remind me more of Amouage rather than something that would come out of a designer house. And then when you realize Tom Ford also had a hand in Gucci Pour Homme I and II... well... it's no surprise his scents are flourishing in the niche world whereas designer scents he was involved with are being discontinued. M7 would have probably done better as a niche scent. As would Gucci Pour Homme I.

I'd love to know how well M7 Oud Absolu is selling compared to the other YSL cube-bottle rereleases.

Couldnt agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'd imagine comparatively well since:
    1. It's the one out of the Cubes that is hardest to find in its vintage formulation

2. M7 probably has the most rabid following out of those that were made into the cubes(Rive Guache was well liked as well but the old tin cans can still be found for $30-40)

3. Unlike the others it can be found on Amazon for $60-70 whereas the others can only be found at retail ($105)

4. It actually smells pretty great. It's an extremely versatile oud/incense based fragrance, and probably the only onw of its kind that I'd consider wearing in the spring and maybe even summer nights. I never experienced the origina but if you ignore the namesake of this fragrance and just take it for what it is, Oud Absolu is certainly worth of being a "Private Collection" fragrance from a designer. And since it can be had for $60 it's really hard to complain.
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL