Code of Conduct

Default Atelier Sample Collection

I received a sample of Atelier's Vetiver Fatal a few months back and enjoyed it's rich, plummy take on vetiver (which, for those who are apt to go apoplectic over such things, doesn't have a ton of vetiver in it, IMO). I saw on the Atelier site that for $15 they'll send you samples of their entire line. Ordered it recently and figured I'd make this a running thread where I'll review each of the samples as I make my way through them. Each sample, by the way, (with the exception of one) was decanted into a roughly 4ml atomizer, completely full. Basically, they're generous samples. And for $15 - can't go wrong.

So, first up was Oolang Infini, which I'd been eyeing for a while as a possible variation on my favorite fragrance, Bvlgari Pour Homme. I admit, my expectations were a little high after enjoying Vetiver Fatal, but man was I disappointed with this one. I got some weird tangy fruit type note in the opening and blast of laundry steam and musk. I get that oolang tea - or any tea for that matter - may smell a little "wet", but this was just flat unpleasant. (And, again, I say that as someone that LOVES BpH, including that musky drydown, which some find laundry-like). I stuck with it over the day, and though that sour tang sweetness mellowed, it never lost that dank note. It makes me appreciate the interplay of BpH's notes all the more - the bite of the pepper and cardamom keeping the muguet from getting things too wet and rotten. I was surprised at how one-dimensional I found Oolang Infini, and that singular dimension obviously didn't do much for me. Vedict: definitely a not-buy for me.

Also tried Grand Neroli a few days ago, and this offering was significantly better. Still a bit linear, though undoubtedly true to its name. Bright orangy zing at the top, drifting fairly quickly into the orange floral of neroli, it then dries down into a light, soapy, vaguely floral/musky mix. It's nice. That's what I can say about it. I don't think I'd buy a bottle of it. I don't have extensive experience with neroli scents, but I prefer Creed's variation on the theme (and even Creed's version is just nice - nothing more). So, if you're a citrus lover/neroli lover, I suppose it's worth a sniff. There just wasn't anything remarkable about any phase of the fragrance, and though I don't think a fragrance needs to be perfect across all phases to be bottle worthy, you've at least got to do one thing really well. I'm not sure Grand Neroli does this.

More reviews to come!
    Last edited by bleedredandblue; 14th May 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Default Re: Atelier Sample Collection

Have the entire line of 11 scents in my collection and enjoy all of them.

Yeah -- it's a nice vetiver that doesn't smell like vetiver. I have the Ambre Nue -- silky smooth amber. I found Orange Sanguine very linear and a bit dull though the friend I was with at the time really liked it. It's a pretty good range imo -- prefer if thew were in smaller bottles though.

Very conventional natural smelling scents to please everyday people. I really like Trefle Pur though, but doesn't last very long.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Really enjoy this line. I own Oolang Infini, Bois Blonds, and Rose Anonyme.

Hey JiveHippo, care to share your thoughts on Oolang Infini? I'd be interested to hear how you perceive it, since it obviously just didn't agree with me. Maybe I'm just missing something

Kaern - I think they have 30ml/1oz bottles now, do they not? Haven't broken into the sample of Ambre Nue - will have to post here when I do!

Sure! Basically it starts out with some citrus and pepper, then dries down to a very subtle leathery musk. I get good longevity but it sits very close to the skin. I do see the similarity to Bvlgari PH, but Oolang is more natural. No shame in not liking it, I'm sure you'll find something you like in the set.

They do offer 1oz bottles, but I think a lot people feel 1oz is too small, and 200ml is too big.

I'm a big fan of Oolang Infini and Vetiver Fatel. Even their Rose Anonyme is great and I do not like rose scents.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Sure! Basically it starts out with some citrus and pepper, then dries down to a very subtle leathery musk. I get good longevity but it sits very close to the skin. I do see the similarity to Bvlgari PH, but Oolang is more natural. No shame in not liking it, I'm sure you'll find something you like in the set.

They do offer 1oz bottles, but I think a lot people feel 1oz is too small, and 200ml is too big.
    Yes -- that is really frustrating -- why 30ml and not 50ml -- there must be a profit margin involved somewhere. I feel that 30ml is not a good deal for the customer -- especially the Creeds.

FWIW their collection is much bigger now (13 scents including the high-end ones) and the sample set is $20 - still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by throwbookatface View Post
    FWIW their collection is much bigger now (13 scents including the high-end ones) and the sample set is $20 - still worth it.
    They also offer 100ml bottles now. Perhaps they saw this thread!

Ugh the Gold Leather and Silver Iris thread is gone :/

There's a temporary Huddler archive here pending the data transfer, aphexacid, although it may not be totally comprehensive.
    http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am really enjoying this line..
    I have the discovery set and have sampled
    Orange Sanguine
    Grand Neroli
    Veviter Fatal
    Mistral Patchouli

the only one not to my liking is GN - too plain and simple..
    The other 3 are definately FB worthy

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Ugh the Gold Leather and Silver Iris thread is gone :/
    Have you had the opportunity to try either of these two?
    (1163)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Sephora is currently pairing .25oz minis of Vanille Insensee and Orange Sanguine for $18. Picked a set up in-store yesterday.

http://www.sephora.com/deluxe-miniat...?skuId=1562172
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you had the opportunity to try either of these two?
    (1163)
    You and i bought bottles at the same time they came out. Well i didn't buy Silver Iris because i didn't like it, but yes i have.

Also for those interested, AC has updated the kit to reflect the new additions to the line, and upped the price to $20 to reflect this. Still an absolute steal!

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    You and i bought bottles at the same time they came out. Well i didn't buy Silver Iris because i didn't like it, but yes i have.

Also for those interested, AC has updated the kit to reflect the new additions to the line, and upped the price to $20 to reflect this. Still an absolute steal!
    It's so hard to remember anything with the missing Huddler posts!

(1177)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I think Gold Leather is my fragrance of the year -- a real killer scent

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's so hard to remember anything with the missing Huddler posts!

(1177)
    Yeah that's why i was annoyed, the conversation was getting interesting!