Code of Conduct

Default Do you find it hard to appreciate your cheap aquatics once you have smelled Bleu de Chanel?

I'm in the process of testing D&G Anthology 1 (Le Bateleur). I think it smells OK, but then I get to thinking how much better Bleu is and how it projects better and everything else. So, I think I'm just kinda neutral about it. Has Bleu effected the way the group grades aquatics now? I mean, I think most would say that Bleu is one of the top compliment getters. How can you really justify buying some other aquatic now? I suppose some may not want to spend the asking price for a Chanel, or some may think that Bleu is becoming like Acqua Di Gio and may start losing some of it's appeal that way as well. But then again, if many aquatics come across as cheap Bleu clones, will buying them solve the problem?

Default Re: Do you find it hard to appreciate your cheap aquatics once you have smelled Bleu de Chanel?

Not a all. Check out Bergamatto Marino.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you find it hard to appreciate your cheap aquatics once you have smelled Bleu de Chanel?

My distaste for cheap aquatics has nothing to do with Bleu de Chanel, in fact I don't really care for Bleu. Plenty of better aquatics out there.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    GABEN!!!!

No but seriously, I didn't care for Bleu de Chanel when I first sampled it, but every subsequent sniff has brought me closer to the brink. Today I found myself considering ordering a bottle and I couldn't honestly explain why. Maybe what I feel is the lack of a great citrus scent in my collection. Maybe it has some weird power like the OP is describing. All I know is I want it now, I must have it!
    Current Top 10:
    1. Leather Oud- Dior
    2. Black Aoud- Montale
    3. M7 Oud Absolu- YSL (I really REALLY like oud)
    4. Green Irish Tweed- Creed
    5. Cuir de Russie- Chanel
    6. Straight to Heaven- By Kilian
    7. Aventus- Creed
    8. Pure Havane- Theirry Mugler
    9. Shalimar EdP- Guerlain
    10.Body Kouros- YSL

Banned
    Blog Entries

some of the bvlgari's are better

First time I smelled Bleu was in a department store. One sniff - I thought it was garbage.

6 months later, Just for a goof, I ordered a sample of it from the Perfumed Court when I was ordering a bunch of other stuff. Sprayed it on me - 2 hours later, I was at the store buying a bottle (along with a few others ).

Every time I have worn it since, I enjoy it more. However... It certainly hasn't ruined my appreciation for ANY of my other fragrances. I like a variety. I love Bleu when I wear it, but that really is only once every few months.

Most of those "cheap" aquatics were full priced designer scents some time back over the last dozen years - and some were fairly highly rated here as well. But one knows that because of the way Chanel control their stock, Bleu will never become a cheap bargain bin/internet scent. While Bleu is indeed an excellent scent (though it took me several testings for it to grow on me), I suspect that part of the reason people will value it highly is because it's value won't decrease the way the others did.

I won't be giving up my now cheap Halston Unbound, Paris Hilton Just Me, Kenzo Homme, or summer Eternities any time soon.
    Regards,
    Renato

Bleu is ok, much better acquatics out there
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

No, I really enjoy Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Bart's among others. I appreciate them for what they are...safe, good smelling, cheap and short lived.

Blog Entries

I've never experienced this yet with Bleu or any other scent in my wardrobe.

It's a very well made fragrance, many good things about it, but smelling Bleu de Chanel makes me appreciate most everything I own a lot more. Smelling it on a guy makes me feel a little sorry for him and keep enough distance so I don't have to smell it anymore. It's better than many, uses premium ingredients and has Polge's mastery of composition, but it's ultimately another one of those sad "smelled throughout the mall" smells.

But it is still a better version of Epic Man. :-) And, yes, it is considerably better than aquatics such as Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, etc.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th May 2013 at 02:51 AM.

Bleu de Chanel lays waste to any other aquatic (even Millesime Imperial). Incredible stuff.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

The Bleu is King!

Bleu is very pleasant, but I wouldn't class it as an aquatic.

No.

I really wanted to hate Bleu, but the more I smell it, the more I adore it. It's been my number one compliment getter (from both men and women). I am a little embarrassed to admit on this forum, but I really like aquatics...especially now TNT the weather is warming up. I just don't think the Bleu is an aquatic. It's fresh and clean, but that's about it. I think people get confused and call it an aquatic because of the name.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's a very well made fragrance, many good things about it, but smelling Bleu de Chanel makes me appreciate most everything I own a lot more. Smelling it on a guy makes me feel a little sorry for him and keep enough distance so I don't have to smell it anymore. It's better than many, uses premium ingredients and has Polge's mastery of composition, but it's ultimately another one of those sad "smelled throughout the mall" smells.

But it is still a better version of Epic Man. :-) And, yes, it is considerably better than aquatics such as Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water, etc.
    Really?

I have a bottle of Epic Man and sample of Bleu, they are not even close to be able to say that one is the better version of another.

Bleu is a pleasent scent and people always gather compliments. It is fresh, but not aquatic at all.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Bleu de Chanel is an aquatic?
    I thought it was on par with Egoiste (Chanel) or Fierce (A&F).

I definitely don't think Bleu is an aquatic. As far as Chanel goes, Platinum Egoiste is better for the safe/fresh scent thing, IMO.

Beautiful stuff. Just wish it projects more.

its nice but I don't think you can compare it to true aquatics like CKone, Versace PH or AdG. Its citrusy because of the grapefruit and the drydown is not at all aquatic. Thats why its much more versatile than most aquatics. Great scent nonetheless and I don't think its a everyone is wearing it scent.

I see nothing special in Bleu de Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Not a all. Check out Bergamatto Marino.
    Exactly - I prefer BM to Bleu.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    No, I really enjoy Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Bart's among others. I appreciate them for what they are...safe, good smelling, cheap and short lived.
    so much this, nautica voyage is awesome and i need to smell that oen, i have heard a lot from it.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

I have trouble appreciating aquatics in general.

That said, I don't consider BdC an aquatic.

I have heard so many people (non-fumeheads) talking about this to see it being the next AdG...

No. Bleu is a terrible fragrance.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Aquatics, they're OK but they just die on me. I like Bulgari Aqua Marine as much as I like Bleu but the only thing I regularly wear that's halfway aquatic is the Dsquared rocky mountain water. I'm not sure that even makes sense.

Depends, but mostly no. While I like and appreciate Bleu de Chanel, doesn't automatically mean that, as soon as an aquatic fragrance is cheaper (even if only by a few cents or the equivalent of a minimal amount), it necessarily has to be worse.

Bleu de Chanel is about as much an aquatic as Davidoff Cool Water....so not at all. I really like aquatics, so yes, I can still appreciate them after encountering Bleu de Chanel.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Nope. But I have to admit my gf's Malle, Lutens and such have made me a tad less enthusiastic about some of my bargain scents.

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Bleu de Chanel is about as much an aquatic as Davidoff Cool Water....so not at all. I really like aquatics, so yes, I can still appreciate them after encountering Bleu de Chanel.
    Agreed. Bleu is OK. I have a bottle but rarely wear it - and when I do, it's only at work. I don't consider it an aquatic at all.

Apparently, with the move of the forums, lots has been lost?

Bleu de Chanel is not an Aquatic. I can't believe how many people actually think that the word blue (or, Bleu, in this case) means it's an aquatic. Bleu is a woody aromatic.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

Not lost - the data is on it's way home!

Not an aquatic just because it's popular. Plenty of citrus in it but there's nutmeg and warm spice in the middle and vetiver in the drydown. How is this aquatic at all? It's a fresh but warm spicy scent. I own it and love it (and like to appreciate its strenghts) but it has nothing to do with that category for me.

Aquatics I will continue to love are things like Wall Street as a weird cucumber orange and kelp experiment (literally an aquatic smell from the ocean) or traditional citrus aquatics like L'Eau D'Issey with spices reminiscent of seafood. Even sport scents like Allure Homme Sport are closer to aquatic.

Come to think of it, I don't know what is "aquatic" about most scents, other than they'd contextually work well on some beach and citrus brings to mind summer beach weather. Water is odorless on its own, few scents are actually salty, and even fewer are reminiscent of the fungal and broken-down sea forest scents of the beach. People should just call most of the examples in this category "sport" fragrances because of the synthetic barbershop nature of the cheap compositions. Perhaps the image of athletics and sweat brings to mind condensation, thirst, and water.

Bleu is in that same category for me, scent-wise
    Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Sorry but Bleu is cheap and not aquatic, not impressed . Comparing it to Amouage Epic is simply ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    First time I smelled Bleu was in a department store. One sniff - I thought it was garbage.

6 months later, Just for a goof, I ordered a sample of it from the Perfumed Court when I was ordering a bunch of other stuff. Sprayed it on me - 2 hours later, I was at the store buying a bottle (along with a few others ).

Every time I have worn it since, I enjoy it more. However... It certainly hasn't ruined my appreciation for ANY of my other fragrances. I like a variety. I love Bleu when I wear it, but that really is only once every few months.
    This is exactly my story with Bleu too. First it smelled like all the other "cheap aquatics", then I sort of liked it, and now its nice when I wear it. Nothing wow about it, but that is the point of this one. Its like Chanel tried to put a sharp edge on the cheap aquatics category and they succeeded. It is a better version of the" cheap aquatic" genre of fragrance. But when you get down into the same chemically cheap game with all the other cheap aquatics, don't you become one too? Maybe its the best of the cheap aquatics genre. There are few others out there that might give Bleu a run for its money - Zegna Uomo, Fan di Fendi Pour Homme - maybe?

Bleu smells cheap anyway.

I'll have to revisit it. The fact that it is quite popular with the crowd these days doesn't help in the process of self-persuasion. When I first used it I had difficulties to find the beauty in it. It smells very indistinct to me. Like a mélange of all things sporty and youthful that already were in existence. Maybe that changes now.

I own a bottle of Bleu, but I very rarely reach for it. It's a compliment getter for me and my wife really likes it. I actually prefer the smell of Bleu to Aventus, but for some reason I just don't reach for it. I own about 25 full-size bottles, but I bet I've worn Bleu only twice in the last 3 months. And these have been the warmest months. Go figure.

Wore it yesterday again. Its still lost on me. Its a good compliment getter still in general, but for me personally to this day I still just smell think it smells like toilet bowl cleaner. I smell clean and fresh I guess, but I dont think I smell "good" if that makes sense. Just cant justify buying a full bottle of this for me personally.

No, I don't even regard it as an aquatic?

I first dismissed Bleu as boring when it first came out but I have tried it recently and the incense note in it is nice, its a strictly OK fragrance IMO. I think some aquatic fragrances are nice but as a fragrance trend, the days of johnny aquatics were over by 2007. If 1 million is popular with the 25 and under crowd, Chanel Bleu is very popular with the 25+ crowd, I am quite sure this is outselling Chanel no 5 at this point.

Banned
    Blog Entries

bleu de chanel is a quality fragrance that was made very well, but i'm not sure if it matches my personal tastes. so, it was probably other fragrances that made me question cheaper aquatics.

Bleu is one of those fragrances that smelled ok to me on paper but I hated it on my skin. It has an aquatic vibe to me even if it isn't, which is probably why I don't like it. Generally speaking, I don't like aquatic themed fragrances. Especially the cheap ones.

Bleu is great IMHO for it's typical Chanel signature aldehydic effect.

Considering it's one of the only ones (Allure maybe is the other?) that is offered in this style to men, is what may cause the polarity on this scent, more so than the whole "aquatic" debate, which I think is a smoke screen to ignore the compositions complexity, that most in the aquatic range clearly lack.

This is like asking "So, do you still beat your wife?".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    This is like asking "So, do you still beat your wife?".
    LOL!

As a loyal fan of Bleu, I have to say, it's more like asking "Do you find any need to beat your ex-wife, after putting expensive French thugs on your payroll to 'take care of things'?"

6ae0dc82.jpg

"I have no idea who those men are - this is very unexpected!"

I like Bleu, but i find myself reaching to ADG essenza much more to fulfill my "fresh" needs. I think essenza is a much better scent IMO.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL!

As a loyal fan of Bleu, I have to say, it's more like asking "Do you find any need to beat your ex-wife, after putting expensive French thugs on your payroll to 'take care of things'?"
    I picked up one of the Travel Sets, Red - determined to fathom the depths of this one, particularly after Sheldrake mentioned it in an interview. It's top of class in this genre, no doubt. Polge's original statement that he set out to create something for the guys he saw getting off a long haul flight makes perfect sense - good for him. Although not the same kind of fragrance I recently did a week of comparing Voyou & Beloved Man, both of which tend to be relegated to the 'safe masculine' side of thing,(like Bleu) and they are anything but. Yes, the basic aromatic masculine idea has a familiarity but the treatment of both is stunning if you take the time to give them more than a passing glance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I picked up one of the Travel Sets, Red - determined to fathom the depths of this one, particularly after Sheldrake mentioned it in an interview. It's top of class in this genre, no doubt. Polge's original statement that he set out to create something for the guys he saw getting off a long haul flight makes perfect sense - good for him. Although not the same kind of fragrance I recently did a week of comparing Voyou & Beloved Man, both of which tend to be relegated to the 'safe masculine' side of thing,(like Bleu) and they are anything but. Yes, the basic aromatic masculine idea has a familiarity but the treatment of both is stunning if you take the time to give them more than a passing glance.
    Bleu was a great idea - as time goes on, I find myself re-respecting it for new and more varied reasons. It's really far from an aquatic to begin with - but the brazenly raw fresh accord and the blue bottle seem to help it play the aquatic card with the best of them. I just think the idea that Polge took something rather close to his oldies but goodies, and through some cunning riffs on old clichés, snuck it right into the modern mainstream with the sound of a million cash registers behind it, was an achievement in which he can certainly take quite a bit of pride.

No, I hate ginger note in BdC anyway ....