Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you smell fragrances on other men?

I hear people say things like "Oh I smell AdG on everyone... "

but I almost never smell any cologne on men, especially during the day. Though, I did wear Mont Blanc legend the other day and few of my friends said it smelled like an abercrombie store, so I guess Fierce does have a strong presence for people my age (early 20's).

I'm at a mid-sized midwestern college town. I would say in the past 24 months, I smelled Le Male maybe once at a club, and I don't think I've ever smelled AdG or 1 million on people. I did smell someone wearing D&G The One once because he sprayed wayy to much but other than that, I rarely smell fragrances on men.

so the question is, how old are you and what region of the world are you from and how often do you actually smell fragrances on other men.

Default Re: How often do you smell fragrances on other men?

I think that in smaller college towns like yours and mine fragrances are more rare. The few times I've noticed anyones cologne it was armani code and le male

Post Thanks / Like

I am daily choked, by guys wearing obscene amounts of One Million... When something gets popular in Denmark, the guys almost only wears that, and often too much of it! Even though any amount of One Milion, is too much in my opinion...
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 15th May 2013 at 12:18 PM.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately not often because they're usually wearing too much or something really bad to begin with. I am a man but I generally dislike fragrances on men. Usually makes me feel sorry for the guy or just wish he'd move on down the road.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd November 2013 at 11:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In Tokyo, rarely. Maybe once every couple of weeks I catch a whiff of some aquatic/calone bomb. Occasionally in fashionable boutiques I'll come across a guy wearing something else. Most recently something heavy on the patchouli that I couldn't identify.

Post Thanks / Like

scarcely, Angel man is really huge!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Fortunately, not often.
    Unfortunately, not often lol!

I almost never smell cologne on men in public, I'd like to! I have smelled Bleu de Chanel on a few occasions.

Very rarely.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd say like a little less than 25% of men wear cologne on casual occasions. The only time men wear cologne is at a date or clubbing. I'm usually not good at identifying what they wear oddly enough, but I'm sure I smelled Abercrombie Fitch Fierce last month. But usually what I smell on men smells like cheap Axe, whether it is or not, (and it's not pleasant).

Post Thanks / Like

smelled ADG and farenheight 32 on some guys before.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Northern California and smell cologne on men all the time!
    Granted, I greet people by shaking hands, bringing it in for a hug, then a quick sniff at the neck...

Post Thanks / Like

So far, only perceived the fragrances worn by other men, if they were wearing easily recognizable bestsellers like, obviously, ADG, Le Male or some of the more popular Hugo Boss fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Not very often, but here and there. I think those that do wear it tend to wear them lightly applied. As if having someone smell your fragrance will get you exiled to the Arctic or something.

It is more the time and place. Go to a club, you will smell fragrance. Go to a trendy mall or restaurant, you will smell fragrance. But generally during the day...it is random at best. It is always a nice surprise, however. Even smelling Cool Water is great ! As long as it is not Fierce or Acqua di Gio pour Homme, I am happy.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory8 View Post
    so the question is, how old are you and what region of the world are you from and how often do you actually smell fragrances on other men.
    I'm currently in the upper Midwest and I see clients throughout my day. Out of all my male clients, the ones who predictably wear lots of cologne tend to have just started a new relationship and they're a little older, especially if they've been through a divorce. You can say they're the ones with a "midlife crisis" of sorts.

Outside of these, I can count only around 5 males within my clientele who wear anything noticeable.

Not enough... lol

Now and again a man will pass and he will smell just washed and a tiny tendril of a decent fragrance will tease the nostrils. It is nearly always a well groomed person who obviously cares about their appearance too. A lovely thing in itself for no other reason than the invisible appreciation of a stranger for the effort.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

What region of the world your from is a very important criteria.
    Here in India most boys and men still wear Deodorants, talcum
    powder or very rarely some attar.

In certain posh localities of my town I do smell the occasional
    lapidus. bogart, quorum, kouros etc, I once even caught a wiff
    of Sport code but It could have been anything as in the place im
    at and many others with the exception of a few, people prefer
    to wear the attar that is copied from the perfume.
    We have shops here, if you give them your perfume bottle, they'll
    create an attar simillar to it, thats what ive heard, ive seen many of
    these shops but am not interested as I dont want to expose my skin to
    some cheap, loud, cloying, synthetic 1$ oil, Id go for the perfumes anyday,
    Atleast their synthetic is smooth and bearable.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Fortunately not often.
    haha same here

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Not often, if at all. Two guys, a conductor who bathes in Polo and another younger guy on train who wears Light Blue PH are the only ones I've noticed, truthfully, since being in Chicago. That's fine by me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Not often, but in south London it's Hugo Boss and Boss Bottled during the day and One million, le male and amen in the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

We have a lot of Europeans at the hotel where I work, and they are not shy about wearing cologne. As for the guests, it is pretty common to smell aquatics. Only occasionally do I smell something interesting like TdH or Amouage.

Post Thanks / Like

Very, VERY rarely. I'm in my very early 20s and live in one of the bigger towns (not that there are more than like 3 big cities in Sweden anyway lol) in Sweden which also happen to have one of the biggest Universities that I go to, so I do meet lots of people my age.
    I VERY rarely smell any fragrance whatsoever, so that's kind of fun for me I guess but pretty boring as well. When I lived in Stockholm it was quite the difference, still nothing groundbreaking as I'm guessing people my age have "no clue" what so ever though.

even when u do wear a gd cologne, the heat & humidity will kill it within an hr or so - unless u go to N Indian hilly areas where its cooler...
    Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    What region of the world your from is a very important criteria.
    Here in India most boys and men still wear Deodorants, talcum
    powder or very rarely some attar.

In certain posh localities of my town I do smell the occasional
    lapidus. bogart, quorum, kouros etc, I once even caught a wiff
    of Sport code but It could have been anything as in the place im
    at and many others with the exception of a few, people prefer
    to wear the attar that is copied from the perfume.
    We have shops here, if you give them your perfume bottle, they'll
    create an attar simillar to it, thats what ive heard, ive seen many of
    these shops but am not interested as I dont want to expose my skin to
    some cheap, loud, cloying, synthetic 1$ oil, Id go for the perfumes anyday,
    Atleast their synthetic is smooth and bearable.
    - - - Updated - - -

AdG & Fahrenheit are prob the most commonly used colognes & i get the whiff of it from time to time...

Rarely

[QUOTE=mumsy

Now and again a man will pass and he will smell just washed and a tiny tendril of a decent fragrance will tease the nostrils. It is nearly always a well groomed person who obviously cares about their appearance too. A lovely thing [/QUOTE]

very well said
    [COLOR=""]a rose is a rose is a rose[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Not very often . . . and let's be thankful for small mercies

The seventies, though - whoa, that was a different matter entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm daily gassed by 1 million, especially in the summer...ESPECIALLY by kids who think it's a good idea to spray at least 16 bottles on them before they leave the house.....

*sigh*

I joke, but I can't stand people gassing other people with fragrance. Especially the 1 million kids and the women who put on literally 15 sprays of something cheap, sweet and generally horrible. (Which I would almost like to know what it is so I can tell every woman to stay away :P)

Post Thanks / Like

Here in western New York, I only smell fragrance on men in clubs. Everywhere else it is aftershave with rare exceptions. On women it is a combo of fruity florals on young ladies, the usual old lady stuff on older women. Youth Dew is very common along with Arden and Liz.

Post Thanks / Like

this is one interesting thread... i also seldomly do. i think for some reason the crowd opinioins are that scents are made for women..... i thought very much so before i joined this site.... go ahead check the current attendance in the mens and womens forum. it is usually 3:1. i believe at least 70% of the fragrance maniacs are men.
    funny post above - men in their midcrisis wear cologne more often... haha.... i tend to agree.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

offsite splits: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=617

current top 5, random order: Xerjoff Zafar, Vero Onda, Chanel Coromandel, Indult Reve en Cuir, Ex-Idolo 33

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the occasion;

During the morning on public transportation there is always someone reeking of you name it. One Million is a fix.

During get togethers too, there will be someone wearing something popular. The more formal the occasion, the heavier use of colognes you'll get.

At school, some students have a signature scent or scents in rotation. That is where I found Banderas Black Seduction could be a good choice (not for the ones curious abut not so mainstream scents).

Afer training guys won't wear cologne, unless the ones given by their girlfriends. Lacoste Challenge was the last one comming to mind, as well as Clavin Klein's CK.

But in general, in Buenos Aires, you won't find yourself assaulted by powerbombs running amok. Overwearing can the be object of sarcastic commentaries - "there it goes the cologne guy", "someone doused him / herself in cologne", or even worst comments I'd rather not mention for the sake of good taste.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish that I did smell more men wearing scent. I teach at a local university and do not smell much although I just found out that they sell Cartier frags at the student store.... This whole notion of "clubs" escapes me. I was an habituť at CBGE's among many others in the day but now hang out in more traditional clubs where Habit Rouge (Thank God), still seems to rule the day. I never have the problem of dealing with the over-scented--I wish more men smelled of SOMETHING and not just business and ambition.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fortunately, all the time. We like our frags here, and i also like smelling good frags on others.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Two days ago I swear I smelled a generous amount of Dzing on another guy ! I am not 100% sure, because there is always a chance I could just be smelling a previously worn leather jacket ( by him), along with some paper smell and perhaps some other things that just confused me !

No...it had to be Dzing !

I've also noticed some more perfumes worn by women as well with the weather turning cooler. Keep it up everyone !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Every day here, not so much ex-pats, but locals, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a museum and the other day an Asian family walked past me, and I caught a whiff of Creed Aventus. I turned around and saw an old Asian man. I don't think it can be him, I thought. Moments later, a young dapper looking Asian guy approaches me and asks me for directions. Creed Aventus is emanating from his body. I give him directions and say, "You're wearing Creed Aventus, huh?" The guy looks perplexed and replies, "Yes, I am." I say that it's my favorite perfume, he nods his head and leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Rarely, but when I do it often smells like something cheap and synthetic.. Women on the other hand, use perfume all the time. Especially women 60+

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Unfortunately, not often lol!
    I agree. Its very sad to me. Even though most men are the kind that would wear: A) What their wife/girlfriend bought them B) Whatever they got swindled into buying at the department store by the pretty sales associate....

its better to smell something! Laziness, complete lack of interest, and fear of offending. Seems like this is the mentality.

Thankfully i lack all 3 of those.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say 6 out of 10 people I meet.

It is very rare I smell niche on other people.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides my father and myself, I maybe haven't noticed much at all from other males.

I live in San Antonio, TX. I'm in my 20's, and I go to a big university.

Fine with me in general? Less competition? Heh .

Even those who I know own a bottle or two never spray enough for it to be noticeable

Post Thanks / Like

In my neck of the woods, seriously almost never! In the last 12 months I smelt one guy who walked by me in a grocery store.(and sure enough it was ADG!lol) Even when I got to clubs I dont smell any guys wearing scents.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only on five different people in the past year or so (many times, same scent). 3 AdG, 1 Calvin, and 1 Nautica. Surprisingly, I haven't smelt anything other than AdG in my first semester at college. (Smaller town/ Mn)

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Never. I mean... never. My teacher wears One Million daily but that's all.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I always look to see if I can smell what other guys are wearing. This is my only hobby in life currently so I take it very seriously. When I walk past, I try to see if I can guess what they're wearing. Most men shy away from patchouli and ambers which I think is a crime. We need to take the time to sniff and try new things and not buy something just because it has a cool commercial or an enticing woman in the advertisement.