Code of Conduct

Default Question about storage

Hello i have all my fragrances in a closet in a room, the door of the closet it's always closed, so no exposure to light, all are in their boxes...now all of my fragrances are not full, they are used, some have 50/100ml - 90/100 etc., all bottles are sprays, so i assume there is not much exposure to oxygen.
    I am just curious what would be the lifespan of all these fragrances (in these conditions) before they (if they) could go bad? Thanks!

Default Re: Question about storage

Hard to know for sure but you have taken all the necessary precautions so they should last a long time.

People claim decades.

I have perfumes from about 7 or 8 years ago, maybe 9 actually which is fine.

It was in a closet that has a door.

for swap/sale:

I'd say decades, but it depends on the materials. Some materials may go off earlier, especially top notes like citrus, though the rest of the frag might still be good. I have frags > 30 years that still smell good.

cacio

ok, thanks for your reps...does it matter if the bottles are half-full or full or not?

Technically, if they are truly sealed, the less oxygen the better. But bottles aren't really sealed, so I don't think it will make a relevant difference.

The osmotheque in Versailles pours argon in their bottles to avoid contact between the liquid and the oxygen, but this is obviously not feasible for spray bottles.

cacio

Dark, cool, dry.

Your taste will change before the juice goes bad.

I don't think having less juice is that detrimental. The bottle is mostly alcohol, which is a preservative.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Technically, if they are truly sealed, the less oxygen the better. But bottles aren't really sealed, so I don't think it will make a relevant difference.

The osmotheque in Versailles pours argon in their bottles to avoid contact between the liquid and the oxygen, but this is obviously not feasible for spray bottles.

cacio
    They are all edt spray bottles, not splash bottles...so you say that there should be no difference if the bottle is full or half-full?

For spray bottles that don't have a cap, is there something I should do to protect from air getting into the bottle, or is this not really a problem?

A bout 1000 years....you will long gone by then ...why so much unnecessary stress, just enjoy: btw is humidity that spoils, keep in cool,dim(dArk) dry place,is that simple ; not a place without oxygen, for it that was the case, then rent out a sit in the next space ship challenger's next trip to Mars , plenty of space over there to put frags...lol ....enjoy
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Nosebud View Post
    Dark, cool, dry.

Your taste will change before the juice goes bad.

totally agree +1111111111111

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    For spray bottles that don't have a cap, is there something I should do to protect from air getting into the bottle, or is this not really a problem?
    My feeling is that it's not a problem for air getting into spray bottles. What personally bothers me is how it looks without a cap.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.