Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Home!

Default Re: Welcome Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Walton View Post
    I agree with Claus,to me it's a retrograde step,I think it looks terribly dated.
    Will the "off topic" be making an appearance.?
    The Huddler site was style over substance. I'd rather have a useful Basenotes than a fancy looking one. I think this looks better than original old Basenotes did anyway! It does the job.

How do I use/ access the smileys now? I may need counselling

Thumbs up Re: Welcome Home!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks, Roberto!
    Welcome
    Also some posts ( not only my posts ) in the thread What kind of razor do you use?? all gone.
    I have noticed this because i had almost 5.500 posts and now my posts are 5.026
    And where is " OFF TOPIC" ???
    Cheers
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    What happened to this site? Why did you go with huddler and now back to vbulletin ?
    That's what I would like to know. This site is already slower than the previous new site...don't like it. If this site gets the regular 'clogs' it used to have..not sure I'd wanna spend too much time here. It already seems 'cloggy' by running a bit slow.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Junkie

I get that this site is for the discussion of all things fragrance, but i do not see the harm in having an "off topic" forum. Am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    I get that this site is for the discussion of all things fragrance, but i do not see the harm in having an "off topic" forum. Am i missing something?
    Sad indeed.

Love having the vintage Basenotes back! Re formulation wasn't kind to Basenotes, Lol. Dated or not, this layout is much easier and user friendly. I'll even accept the slower response just to have our old layout back. Great job & thanks for listening to everyone who missed the original layout.

I miss the ability to read a few words of the last post on each thread, and who posted it, so I can decide whether to go there or not. Now I have to open the thread and go all the way to the bottom just to read whether I would have been interested.

However, running this website is no easy task for Grant and his team and I thank them for this. He is doing what he feels best for everyone, given parameters or cost, time, etc. and so, solider on Grant and the Basenotes team and thank you!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I miss the ability to read a few words of the last post on each thread, and who posted it, so I can decide whether to go there or not. Now I have to open the thread and go all the way to the bottom just to read whether I would have been interested.
    Yup, +1

Why the move?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Hi there i dont know if this has been covered but eventually will i get back about 25 of my positive feedbacks on the Marketplace transactions?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I miss the ability to read a few words of the last post on each thread, and who posted it, so I can decide whether to go there or not. Now I have to open the thread and go all the way to the bottom just to read whether I would have been interested!
    Feel free to post this as a feature request in the tech,bugs,feature request board. I can certainly look into this once we get straight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by THEREALJWIL View Post
    Hi there i dont know if this has been covered but eventually will i get back about 25 of my positive feedbacks on the Marketplace transactions?
    Thanks
    Yes, once the data is copied across.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Yup, +1

Why the move?
    kalli, didn't you notice the state of the directory on the huddler site? It never got updated because the functionality wasn't any good. And Basenotes is nothing but a glorified chat site if the directory doesn't work.
    Last edited by furrypine; 30th October 2013 at 07:08 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Guerlainista

Off topic seemed to be generating a huge amount of traffic compared to the actual fragrance forums. When I would check new posts before it seemed like about 90% of posts were off topic. I'd have to scroll down a good ways before finding a post that's actually about fragrance.

I come here to discuss perfume. I would much rather have a slightly outdated but fit for purpose Basenotes than a modern generic one that can handle enormous amounts of off topic chit chat.

If cutting out all the off topic traffic makes the old site run faster, that's enough reason to do it. I'm happy to see it go.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is great Aside the missing Huddler data and the pics of frags in the database, I only have one "issue" and I wouldn't call it that - entire list of all frags and how many times they were worn by the entire community. For now I really like the look and the feel of it! Great work and do continue the evolution of the site!

You're all doing a good job, and thanks for your dedication to keeping the site running as well as possible.

I have just two minor quibbles about the new/old site:
    - Speed: I'm hoping that this will improve once all the data is reloaded, as I'm really missing the zip of the Hudder site at the moment.
    - Visuals: The old site is so much busier. It's actually harder to locate the posts themselves amongst all the other stuff going on. The older site was slicker, airier and more legible. Are there plans to introduce different 'skins', so that we can to some extent customize its appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm happy to be back online with BN - first and foremost. Like returning to my wardrobe, signature, blog, and AUTO-SAVE. It's a bit slow, but I'm OK with that. Looking forward to some new things that couldn't be done at Huddler.

THANK YOU GRANT, DANI, JUDITH, AND ESPECIALLY OUR GEEKY CAT, BASENOTES DUDE!
    No small amount of thanks to the mod team - you guys have been through a lot and are still friendly helpful and full of fragrant enthusiasm. Virtual hugs, pats on the back and chinking glasses all round

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    kalli, didn't you notice the state of the directory on the huddler site? It never got updated because the functionality wasn't any good. And Basenotes is nothing but a glorified chat site if the directory doesn't work.
    I am really in the minority I guess but I didn't use the directory much, mainly cause it didn't seem up-to-date(?)and often couldn't find frags I was looking for. True with either this layout or Huddler. I would start to add to my wishlist/test list/wardrobe and get stumped cause I couldn't find some frags there. I am not sure of the functionality to a t from this layout as opposed to the other, cause I guess I didn't spend much time there. I think I did notice a lack of note pyramids on Huddler? And no search by note? Not sure. I'd love a directory that was up to date(I haven't been on the directories much, like I said, so I don't know if it's been more updated as of late). I would read reviews though. If getting rid of the off topic threads means more of an updated directory, well that would be pretty cool I guess.. but I'd still like ot topics too.

The traffic over on the FDF is all but non-existent except for the SOTD thread...so the off-topic forums were a nice bonus..but that's just me. Others may see it differently.

I do, however, like the random button. I already added one on my test list cause of that thing.

Can all Aventus threads be deemed 'off topic'?. j/k.
    Last edited by kalli; 30th October 2013 at 09:48 PM.

Basenotes...It is what it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Can all Aventus threads be deemed 'off topic'?. j/k.
    LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    How do I use/ access the smileys now? I may need counselling
    There is a smiley button at the top of the text box for answering posts. It will take you through a quickie pop-up to a more full-featured one, with all the smileys. But the thing I like is that I can just type them inline, such as <colon> b e e r <colon>, which gives . So just type the abbreviations and you can really move along fast.

Blog Entries

Hi, I am replying here so I can get into the loop. What happened? Ai Carumba!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, my blog button still works!

I'm really happy to see the old sotd and drobe. And as someone pointed out, it's good to see Basenotes Green again.

I know that a lot of love goes into this site. You can tell.

Thank you, to everyone who has had a hand in creating and running this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1l-ZJI1woU

Blog Entries

I still don't know what's going on.
    We're not getting email notices about our 'subscribed threads' anymore then?

Running terribly slow for me so far...hope things smooth out shortly. I will miss browsing "Off Topic" as well. Hopefully all the wardrobe information makes a seamless transition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Running terribly slow for me so far...hope things smooth out shortly. I will miss browsing "Off Topic" as well. Hopefully all the wardrobe information makes a seamless transition.
    Slow for me, too. I've already been adding a bunch of things to my wardrobe here, so hopefully the merger will respect all that newer information.

IT'S GOOD TO HAVE A WARDROBE AGAIN.

But, but, but - how will I know if Tony had a sandwich now?

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for bringing it back home!
    I love cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I still don't know what's going on.
    We're not getting email notices about our 'subscribed threads' anymore then?

It's possible to sign up for varying frequencies or disable them in our settings, kumquat.
    Go to 'settings' - 'My Account' (in sidebar) - 'General Settings' - 'Messaging & Notification', where there is a drop down that may be altered, then save changes at the bottom of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Love having the vintage Basenotes back! Re formulation wasn't kind to Basenotes, Lol. Dated or not, this layout is much easier and user friendly. I'll even accept the slower response just to have our old layout back. Great job & thanks for listening to everyone who missed the original layout.
    Haha! Great post, spot on.

Blog Entries

Ok, I'm trying Tapatalk now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Yeah, it worked, once I remembered my secret word!

Well, we can't complain. Very few things in life are free and we are granted that option here for us poor people. This will be a great experience nonetheless and we have to support change for the greater good. I am accustomed to seeing us regulars and when I pop in, it feels like I'm catching up with family. Let's just all be supportive and appreciate that we have this special place.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Blog Entries

Rock on. This is cool.

Thanks for all the work guys and gals!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Banned
    Blog Entries

new or old, it's still basenotes , meaning it's a great site. but it's good to have the old school nostalgic BN enhanced with new features.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Rock on. This is cool.

Total agreement. Huddler mobile pales compared to BN on Tapatalk. I need to start trying voice with it, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    new or old, it's still basenotes , meaning it's a great site. but it's good to have the old school nostalgic BN enhanced with new features.
    Good to see you back. And I see your sig - respect! No time like now to turn over a new leaf!

Lifelong Fragrance Addict

I don't think earlier my question was addressed, and I was wondering if trader feedback and the number hits on the sales threads would be reinstated.

If the trader feedback will be reinstated, (which I hope it will, as I lost quite a bit), should we wait to leave and/or receive new feedback until it is reinstated ?

Also, do you know when the BN Plus designation will be attached again ?

Thank you.
    Providing knowledge of the Occult, Witchcraft and Paranormal since 1976 !

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNightMyst View Post
    I don't think earlier my question was addressed, and I was wondering if trader feedback and the number hits on the sales threads would be reinstated.

If the trader feedback will be reinstated, (which I hope it will, as I lost quite a bit), should we wait to leave and/or receive new feedback until it is reinstated ?

Thank you.
    Hey RavenNightMyst,

Feedback, post counts etc. will all be back soon enough. It's a matter of getting data from one place and sticking it some place else. Which is as abstract as it sounds.

As far as your second question goes, I'll see what I can find out.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Good to see you back. And I see your sig - respect! No time like now to turn over a new leaf!
    Yeah. I shouldn't have been back, but I am. So, from a technical standpoint, what I had done wrong had been physically reset, but still, as long as I'm allowed to be on here, I have to be less self-indulgent and more considerate to others.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Basenotes runs slow for me, as does just about any Internet site I click on. I am getting the idea that my 512k RAM and Windows XP on an 8 year old DELL Dimension 3000 aren't helping things either
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Basenotes runs slow for me, as does just about any Internet site I click on. I am getting the idea that my 512k RAM and Windows XP on an 8 year old DELL Dimension 3000 aren't helping things either
    Time to upgrade perhaps?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNightMyst View Post

Thank you.
    Hi!
    I'll start a new thread re. Plus designations in the 'bug' area.
    The feedback situation is explained there too.

So, should we wait to leave new feedback until the backlog is reinstated ? My concern is that leaving new feedback might create an issue for the insertion of the "missing" feedback. I ask because I will have two to leave (and in turn receive) likely today after the mail comes. I'm very OCD about "promptness", and I leave feedback right away. I can wait if this may be an issue.

Hell, I can't believe my short-term memory is actually this bad - IS this really what the old BN used to look like ?? - Wow, am surprised I've all but forgotten already. (Plus I was one of the change-averse grumpy ones who lamented the move to the [now older] newer one - so would've expected to at least better remember what it was/looked like before.)

Anywayz, still rather confused as to exactly why this whole 'reversal' has happened (??) - And am already lamenting the loss in speed (which to me was the main + about the Huddler site & what ultimately helped assuage the last transition) - & yes unfortunately this does indeed now all look rather clunky & dated in comparison. ...

So am all rather confused as to exactly how I feel about this whole forward step backwards (???) ... BUT to have the 'uncluttered simplicity' back is rather nice & welcome. As are the new 'like' & 'object' buttons additions (only the first of many to come I bet.)

- Good luck (& thanx!) with/for all the hard transition work !!
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st November 2013 at 02:20 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    yeah, its time to get a new computer. at this point, even a $200 netbook, an ipod touch or a tablet probably has much stronger specs than the big bulky 8-year old pc you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Well, we can't complain. Very few things in life are free and we are granted that option here for us poor people. [snip]
    Aha! - "we are granted" in this respect really is a perfect choice of words - or rather 'word' in particular ! ... i.e. Grant-ed (get it !?)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 1st November 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    yeah, its time to get a new computer. at this point, even a $200 netbook, an ipod touch or a tablet probably has much stronger specs than the big bulky 8-year old pc you have.
    OR, you could upgrade the one you have, if it's possible. If you have slots, upgrade the RAM, the operating system (please...XP ?), and depending on the size of your drive, either swap it out for a larger one, or clean it up. You'd be surprised how slow a computer will run if it's clogged with crap. I've upgraded all my computers over the years. Of course with so many cheap options, you could just get a new one if yours isn't dependable enough to keep. I have an older DELL, not as old as yours. Mine is screaming fast. (Hear it screaming ?)

Ah! I understand that the huddler site had a few advantages, but overall this one has the functions that I use most often (tracking my uses in my wardrobe via SOTD) those functions never came to the new site. The columns in the new site were also really narrow for no reason. This one is better in that regard as well.

Anyhow I hope everyone gets everything they want and that this becomes the best site possible, but it's already the best perfume site in existence and I'm happy with the move back, and will be back to visiting the site daily again.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    CREED: Chevrefeuille, SMW, BdP, Aventus
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale
    YSL: Vintage M7

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:
    Sale Thread

Hello, my dear wardrobe! i am very happy to see you again.

Blog Entries

I, for one, am elated to find additional fonts are once again available!!!!

So far, things are not bad. Just lost 2000 posts, but I have a wardrobe now.

Wait what? Objection button? Horrible idea IMO, reminds me of reddit circlejerk posts. This won't be good for any dissenting opinions.

Blog Entries

In addition to just using the OBJECT button, the name of the member who is objecting ought to show. Furthermore, in the next post, a short and polite explanation should be furnished.

Having an OBJECT button without showing the name, can lead to mischief and/or sabotage.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Hello Basenoters. Just now found my way back, but I see my Profile and forum posts haven't made it yet. Patiently waiting. Good to see your smiling signatures again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    In addition to just using the OBJECT button, the name of the member who is objecting ought to show. Furthermore, in the next post, a short and polite explanation should be furnished.

Having an OBJECT button without showing the name, can lead to mischief and/or sabotage.
    Update: Meanwhile - in my Profile - a list appears: Member XYZ liked your such and such post.
    Member ABC liked your such and such post.
    Hidden Content objected to your such and such post.

Am I to guess who "Hidden Content" is? That leads to wild guesses and imaginations and the suspicions may fall on the ones who did not even do the objection.

There has to be a better way.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hello Basenoters. Just now found my way back, but I see my Profile and forum posts haven't made it yet. Patiently waiting. Good to see your smiling signatures again.
    Hey SF! Good to see you find your way back in! :-)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Plus

Hello Wardrobe, Hello Directory!!! I couldn't find you for the longest time but I'm so relieved that it was ALL a BAD dream!!! There's no place like home!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I agree.

The new forum looked better and it felt faster.
    Now load times are sloooooooow again.

Why go back to the 90's web design wise again ?
    It feels slow
    The search engine is slow
    The design looks so 1996, and not in a good way

Sorry just my honest opinion.
    All true. Only good thing is that you can change the colors and size of your sig. Its free so whatever....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Update: Meanwhile - in my Profile - a list appears: Member XYZ liked your such and such post.
    Member ABC liked your such and such post.
    Hidden Content objected to your such and such post.

Am I to guess who "Hidden Content" is? That leads to wild guesses and imaginations and the suspicions may fall on the ones who did not even do the objection.

There has to be a better way.
    It's something new, let's see how it works, and we will look out for abuse.

Having thought about it, I can see reasons for protecting the Objecters. Let' say you come across a post that you find over the line in regard to racisms or sexism. You want to make a stand that this particular post is not okay, but you don't feel like getting into a twelve round argument in the thread. That's what the Object button is for.

For members who keep piling up objections in the future, you need to think about your language and how you come across. What you think of as your funny/jokey posts, others actually think "what a tool, what an absolute ass" and will give you a thumbs down.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Additionally, posts may still be reported the old way if required.

+ Reply to Thread