Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Welcome Home!

Default Re: Welcome Home!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Who is this new member =Hidden Content=?

I seem to get 'Likes' from people I know and 'Objections' from someone called 'Hidden Content' but no listing in the member role
    Yes, this is what I'd like to know too! Reveal yourself! I am assuming it's admin...going under cover?
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Well, the members have already the Blog space. Very intelligent Blogs and perfume related.

OFF TOPIC is more or less, "Say anything else and regale others with a story that is on your mind" like sharing good stuff.

Fragrantica has one section, "Individual Members Topics" ... just stuff. Like open a topic, one topic only for members, with the idea of "Step into my parlour and let's chat". When - in case that happens - comments are made that offensive to the host/author of the individual topic, the host has the responsibility and the authority to send the offending member to the door.
    So, monitoring takes place, with an easy hand and the Owner of the Individual Topic is the boss.
    How is it handled at Parfumo these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    In theory someone could start a off topic group as it's the responsibility of the member. You could just sign up and then we could have our liberties back the same as before.

But I think this idea is a bit cheeky and Danielle may see red so I will leave it just as a thought. lol
    Not seeing anything but a good idea Jack Hunter! I mentioned somewhere, in this and other conversations, that off-topic groups are the way to go. They are not moderated and are the responsibility of the user who creates them.

Blog Entries

Parfumo's Personal Blog Space is part of where a member can express himself/herself.

Generally, inside the Forums the discussions flow. When the member wants to be really elaborate, she chooses to write an article in her Personal Blog Space. Management has suggested, but makes exceptions, that the topic ought to be perfume related. Sometimes, family news are posted, perhaps a reason why a member was absent for a long time, or why she now has to leave.

Because most members are passionate perfumistas at heart, the Personal Blog articles are in fact perfume related. Like, a member was in Italy and in a forgotten pharmacy found a whole line of vintage treasures. Like, "I am misunderstood with my honest dealings in the Parfumo Souk and please listen, this is how I intend to handle future trades." Like, "I wrote a negative review and now I get a blast of comments, but ..." Like, "There will be the Excense Trade Fair in Milano on .... see this link ... and you can follow the live streaming." Like, "Science - does it back up the theory of skin chemistry? Or, is there merit in the theory that it is perception and memories which make us judge a scent?"

After the blog article is posted, the members have a space for replies. And replies will be entered, if the topic is interesting enough. The line of replies makes then for more discussion, just like in a Forum, because the author will reply to the replies. Sometimes a battle ensues. Then, the author has the prerogative to delete replies. Which is stupid because it cuts the discussion short. Management rarely intervenes in those tiny Reply/Discussions.

At the outset, all Personal Blog Articles appear in the member's profile space and ON THE FRONT PAGE and ON THE COMMUNITY SECTION SPACE. For all to see, as newsworthy.

However, Management will not leave a pathetic/unintelligent/rubbish article standing very long on those public spaces and simply move it over to only the member's profile page space. This way, less hurt feelings.

Eventually, all discussions and whatever fuss dies down, and on to the next thing.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Yes, this is what I'd like to know too! Reveal yourself! I am assuming it's admin...going under cover?
    kalli, of course it's not the admins doing this. Grant, Danielle and Judith have more than enough to deal with than running rampant downvoting posts. "Hidden Content" could be any member, as all member have the power to vote down any post they don't like, and their identity is kept hidden.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

@ furrypine - It's a joke, furrypine, it's a joke.

That post was done "tongue in cheek".

HIDDEN CONTENT, where are you?? Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

The point I'm making is simply that if I am going to 'Like' something someone has posted I am happy to put my name on it.

And, similarly, if I 'Object' to something someone has posted, I am happy to put my name on it.

Why the hidden, meanspirited little anonymous 'Object' thing? For people who lack the conviction or nerve to speak their mind but at the same time want their displeasure to be registered?

Doesn't quite add up to me . . . In fact it seems rather petulant and childish. Maybe I'm missing something here - no big deal, either way, movin' right along folks, nothing to see here - Hidden Content has been and left his mark but has already left the building

Blog Entries

mr. reasonable, l know what you mean. lf someone disagrees with a post, they should be able to stand up & say why. l'm not actually sure what an "objection" consists of. l thought it was a way to point out when someone has been offensive or inappropiate in some way, eg. sexist, racist, abusive, etc. But there are definitely people here "objecting" to completely innocuous posts for no apparent reason whatsoever.

l don't mind if someone disagrees with me, but to simply object to something quite innocent that l've said without having to say why seems sneaky somehow.

Would it be better if it was a "disagree" button instead of an "object" button? Maybe not, l don't know.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lifelong Fragrance Addict

I'm with Ursula, I took that it was meant to just laughingly jerk their chains a bit, not seriously thinking the admins are the "objectors".

I do think everyone is taking the "object" button a little too seriously. Is it really a big deal ? I don't care if anyone objects to my input. I don't find it mean-spirited, and perhaps it's better than a plethora of negative comments that can start flame wars.
    Last edited by RavenNightMyst; 5th November 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Providing knowledge of the Occult, Witchcraft and Paranormal since 1976 !

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Blog Entries

Whether the "negative view of what somebody has said" is expressed in THUMBS DOWN or OBJECT or DISAGREE is not the issue here. Those are just labels. What some members don't like, and me included, is the anonymity. Management has explained, early on in this long topic, that 12 round arguments may follow if rather than pressing an OBJECT button, negative opinions may be voiced.

But by now, it is confusing to have HIDDEN CONTENT appear again, and again in the Profile. Who has objected to my whatever post, and why? Is it just one HIDDEN CONTENT that dislikes me, or are there many? What is going on, I ask myself.

Well, I choose just to ignore this whole set-up. When the opinion is bigger than just pressing the simple little OBJECT button, I am sure that the member would have told me as an important matter that he wants me to hear and consider.

I'm glad to hear it's a joke, but sarcasm/satire can be hard to discern on the internet, and as a non-English speaker it needs to be telegraphed very clearly for me to pick up on it. I need lots of emoticons to go with satire. Anyway, there has been some confusion what admins and mods can see & can do, so I thought better say something than not.

[tim gunn]Carry on![/tim gunn]
    - Dorothy Parker

I guess my question would be:

If the identity of the objector(s) noted in the profile were suddenly visible/available, what would you (generic you) do ? Would you (generic you) confront them ? Would you (generic you) demand an explanation for each objection if there were multiples from one, or ask each individual member, if each objection were from different members ? Would you (generic you) eventually create "Objector Inquiry" message templates to cover any number of questions for the objector, to save time writing the same inquiries over and over ?

Oops...I see I got at least one objection I was hoping for ! Should I expect an explanation as to why ? My inquiry is reasonable. I put thought into it. I made it clear it wasn't directed at any specific member.

My point is that I respect that there will be people who either don't understand my point, or agree with it. If we all agreed all the time, this would be a boring life.
    Last edited by RavenNightMyst; 5th November 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Objection Noted :-}

Blog Entries

It is getting too confusing to dwell on all possible or potential eventualities, like RavenNightMyst says.

I have an idea - Why not get rid of the "Object to this post" button? And leave only the "Like" button?

It is nice and flattering to "collect" Likes, similar to Facebook.

It is tedious to "collect" Hidden Content Objections.

If and when there is cause for an objection, it can be openly expressed in the post that follows the offending post. Then, all cards are clearly visible on the table.

12 rounds arguments? 12++++ rounds arguments have already taken place, time and again, on good old Basenotes discussions. When you have something to say, say it.

If it goes overboard, Moderators will step in.

I don't care one way or the other, but why don't you take a vote or create a poll and see if you get a majority of assenting votes, then take it to the admin..

It is getting too confusing to dwell on all possible or potential eventualities, like RavenNightMyst says.

I have an idea - Why not get rid of the "Object to this post" button? And leave only the "Like" button?

It is nice and flattering to "collect" Likes, similar to Facebook.

It is tedious to "collect" Hidden Content Objections.

If and when there is cause for an objection, it can be openly expressed in the post that follows the offending post. Then, all cards are clearly visible on the table.

12 rounds arguments? 12++++ rounds arguments have already taken place, time and again, on good old Basenotes discussions. When you have something to say, say it.

If it goes overboard, Moderators will step in.
    If everyone were as reasonable and nice as the majority it would be perfect. Sadly this is not the case. Members have actually left the boards for being bullied when they have reported or objected to behaviour on the boards.

The objection button is primarily for racism, sexism, abuse of any kind and incredible displays of bad taste and offensive posting.

It is self-moderation and it is designed to be a "that's that", rather than the spark that ignates a war of words which causes mods to step in and separate people.

Like all experiments it will either work or it won't :-) We are responding to a variety of feedback and seeing what changes will work.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Thank you Danielle for clarifying what the object button is for. Perhaps it needs to be made clearer for everyone?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Thank you Danielle for clarifying what the object button is for. Perhaps it needs to be made clearer for everyone?
    Agree, thanks Teardrop. If those members who are involved in this thread could assist in spreading the word and I will make a note in the announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Why the hidden, meanspirited little anonymous 'Object' thing? For people who lack the conviction or nerve to speak their mind but at the same time want their displeasure to be registered?
    The anonimity was intended to protect the objector; the issue here is that we also need to protect the objectee.

Also: what Dani said.

It was a bit of a joke there, I needed to put a smiley in there. oopsy. Forgot the smiley.:

Thanks for the clarification on the object button.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    If everyone were as reasonable and nice as the majority it would be perfect. Sadly this is not the case. Members have actually left the boards for being bullied when they have reported or objected to behaviour on the boards.

The objection button is primarily for racism, sexism, abuse of any kind and incredible displays of bad taste and offensive posting.

It is self-moderation and it is designed to be a "that's that", rather than the spark that ignates a war of words which causes mods to step in and separate people.

Like all experiments it will either work or it won't :-) We are responding to a variety of feedback and seeing what changes will work.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Albert Einstein
    In reality the button will be used by people who simply disagree with an opinion or don't get a tongue in cheek comment though, I'd think.
    At least that's what I got from the 3 objections I had. 2 I could possibly understand, possibly objected by SAs, even as the comment was clearly not meant seriously, the other is about a movie! lol (unless mentioning the content of a movie is offensive?)

Personally I think the anonymous objections could add a layer of fun to the board, then again it also could annoy people who take happenings on the internet seriously/personally. The latter probably being more likely.

Blog Entries

It's a test, in progress ... Let's see what happens.

I had occasion to object to posts, because that is how I felt about the matter, but I always politely explain why, in the next post. Members could choose do explain, or not.

Not explaining will make for a lot of guessing. Like, "What have I said, what have I done, what could it be???"

It could also add a layer of fun and tongue-in-cheek posts, like Ruessel says.

The Internet has such a thing like a Code of Etiquette, but that is not always followed.

With the newly installed Objections method, it becomes a case by case thing.
    Last edited by Ursula; 7th November 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

There's another thread with a discussion on this issue here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...ing-the-use-of

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    There's another thread with a discussion on this issue here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...ing-the-use-of
    As a moderator, don't you think these multiple discussions and the fervor/paranoia that seems to be associated with it is REALLY getting out of hand ? Now they are discussing how to discover who the "hidden objectors" are. Really ? Is it just me, or do you think this is snowballing out of control ?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNightMyst View Post
    As a moderator, don't you think these multiple discussions and the fervor/paranoia that seems to be associated with it is REALLY getting out of hand ? Now they are discussing how to discover who the "hidden objectors" are. Really ? Is it just me, or do you think this is snowballing out of control ?

As a member, it is not an issue that personally bothers me, RavenNightMyst.

As a Moderator, my expectation is for many thumbs down, which doesn't bother me either, to be honest.

However, this month's sample order just turned up from a shop in London & one applied just before logging in this evening is causing many enjoyable fragrant thoughts, which may well last for some hours.
    It's called Violette Fumee and it will be great fun exploring it!
    It's always so interesting discovering new scents, much aided by some of the members here who go and describe them so invitingly to us

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    As a member, it is not an issue that personally bothers me, RavenNightMyst.

As a Moderator, my expectation is for many thumbs down, which doesn't bother me either, to be honest.

However, this month's sample order just turned up from a shop in London & one applied just before logging in this evening is causing many enjoyable fragrant thoughts, which may well last for some hours.
    It's called Violette Fumee and it will be great fun exploring it!
    It's always so interesting discovering new scents, much aided by some of the members here who go and describe them so invitingly to us
    I'm with you on this frag. I just got a sample of Mona's company's newest, Violette Fumee, and it's great !

Yay - glad you like it too, RavenANightMyst - it's the kind of discovery that makes me so happy to be a member here!

The great return is a breath of fresh air. The huddler site always felt devoid of life and personality to me, while this new redesign of the old design brings back fond memories and feels much more comfortable. Plus it's already a lot more polished than huddler v1 was, so kudos to Grant & team on that!

In regards to the "thumbs down", I see a couple problems. Objections should not be shown. Period. Those people for whom this system is designed to repress more often than not crave attention. Collecting publicly visible objections is a great form of attention since it draws the eye of viewers curious to see what objectionable content warranted a downvote. I see absolutely no reason to show objection counts, and many reasons to hide them.

In addition, the title of the button is misleading. If the intent is to provide a form of self moderation of objectionable content it shouldn't be worded in a way that one could interpret it as a "I disagree with this post" button. Given the choice of voicing ones disagreement and pressing a button that looks like would be basically the same thing, I foresee the button being mistakenly misused. My suggestion is to reword it: "Objectionable Content". A subtle difference but I think it would convey the buttons meaning much better.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Blog Entries

"Objectionable Content" = sounds very good. This way it is the content which is objected to, and not the poster.

Nonetheless, it is far too easy to push this button, whatever it will be labeled, without giving an explanation. We have gone over this again and again.
    This button can always be wilfully used, anonymously, just to stir and make mischief.
    Whoever has something to say, should say it. Politely. And simply use the quote feature which shows which 'content' he/she is not agreeing with.

"Objectionable Content" = sounds very good. This way it is the content which is objected to, and not the poster.

Nonetheless, it is far too easy to push this button, whatever it will be labeled, without giving an explanation. We have gone over this again and again.
    This button can always be wilfully used, anonymously, just to stir and make mischief.
    Whoever has something to say, should say it. Politely. And simply use the quote feature which shows which 'content' he/she is not agreeing with.
    The beauty about the system is the threshold at which "objectionable" posts are hidden can be adjusted. I would think a happy medium could be found that would negate random unwarranted downvotes and hiding something that truly doesn't belong on the forum.

Of course this would depend on not showing people the number of downvotes... last thing we need is people figuring out exactly what the threshold is and purposely pushing posts past the line. It would be even worse if they banded together to grief certain members of the community. I don't necessarily think that would happen here, but why open the door to this possibility if it's not necessary? In addition, the bandwagon effect isn't necessarily malicious but could you resist being the person who is ultimately responsible for hiding some post you disagree with, regardless of whether or not it's content is objectionable? I'm not judging -- maybe you could, but what about the 100's of other people?

I absolutely agree. If it's there it's going to abused, but abuse can be mitigated with only a few changes, imho.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Is there any effort still underway to integrate the huddler-era sotd posts into the current sotd history and wardrobe wear count?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Is there any effort still underway to integrate the huddler-era sotd posts into the current sotd history and wardrobe wear count?
    I think stability and speed were the first priorities, and the rest will follow
    - Dorothy Parker

I'm very optimistic that these things anticipated will be arriving soon.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I think stability and speed were the first priorities, and the rest will follow
    Very nice. Thank you. Just an ocd moment.

Oh wow, the good old Basenotes is back

I hated that "new" site and had totally given up, then today I saw a thread on another forum and popped over to see for myself.

All together now - "Happy days are here again..."
    Alan

Thanks Oscroft. We still have a long way to go with upgrades here and there and data still to be copied over from the 'other' site... but we're getting there.

I am still missing a thousand posts and the counselling hasn't worked

Btw -- I like the 'objections'. I can add them to the 'infractions' on my wallchart

Maybe I am missing something, but what happened to the fragrance rankings? I loved that feature.

Just for fun I thought I would check in and see if this was fixed. OMG it is XMAS a day early for me. I can see my wardrobe and wears!!

AHHHH..... My morning ritual can return to normal picking up from May 15.

Merry Christmas to all.

xxoo

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I am still missing a thousand posts and the counselling hasn't worked

Btw -- I like the 'objections'. I can add them to the 'infractions' on my wallchart
    I thought it would be our X-Mas present..

Quote Originally Posted by blueshirt View Post
    Just for fun I thought I would check in and see if this was fixed. OMG it is XMAS a day early for me. I can see my wardrobe and wears!!

AHHHH..... My morning ritual can return to normal picking up from May 15.

Merry Christmas to all.

xxoo
    Good for so many to have that functioning well again!

(2060)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

WelCoMe for come back

Quote Originally Posted by Shopcherries123 View Post
    Hi! I am Rahul .from New Delhi India. I am new user here. I am looking forward here sharing innovative ideas.
    Welcome to you Rahul!. Enjoy your time and your learning experience here on Basenotes.

(4014)

whispering....Huddler-era sotd data.....Huddler-era sotd data.....Huddler-era sotd data......

Wow, what a joy. I stopped using Basenotes when it went to Huddler - it just seemed so claustrophobic (and it was terrible on my phone, too). I'm very glad it's back. Now please just get Off-Scenter back and all will be well...

Hello, I m new one in this forum.

Hi & welcome, sasabeauty - if you'd like to find some threads the Just Starting Out Forum is here
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/24-Just-Starting-Out

and the main Fragrance Forum list is here
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/4-Fragrance-Discussion

Wasn't there going to be sort of an ongoing "Readers Drobes" feature? Did that fall by the wayside? Or have I missed the column?

+ Reply to Thread