Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Home!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Welcome Home!

Ha ha ha ha ha ... I cannot stop laughing. Soon people will not dare to post anything anymore anywhere ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha ... I cannot stop laughing. Soon people will not dare to post anything anymore anywhere ...
    We'll have to send out our robot friends to do battle for us on the internet, while we hide under the covers!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    Hi all, just wanted to demystify the new objection button.

The mod team will not be collating data as to who objected to what. Nor will we be deciding why the objection was made. If enough people dislike content it will be hidden. It is purely your vote to cast and is intended for posts you find offensive or tasteless. It gives people a bit of control over what they want to see and will show exactly where the majority of members stand on some of the issues that have given rise to complaint recently.

I'm very curious to see what constitutes a popular and an objectionable post in the coming months!
    Wouldn't a proper ignore button have done the exact same thing? If you don't like it, don't look at it, or report it. Liking posts is great fun, but the objection button to me is a 'mob rule' type of deal which can easily be abused.

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Scent View Post
    Wouldn't a proper ignore button have done the exact same thing? If you don't like it, don't look at it, or report it. Liking posts is great fun, but the objection button to me is a 'mob rule' type of deal which can easily be abused.
    Slippery slope. I think we will worry about it if it starts to be abused by the mob in any way. Probably wont be much of a problem.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Thank you! When reviewing objections, it may be useful to consider the source somehow in order to take into account the petty little feuds that crop up from time to time between some members or button-abusing chronic objectors. But if you can't, you can't. I suppose if it takes several objections to draw the attention of moderators or for the post to get quashed, it doesn't really matter anyway.
    I just HAD to like this and quote it, because somebody "chronic-objected" to it! LOOOOOOOOOOL

The price of anonymous nicking, is that we can publicly nick the nicker without recrimination or guilt, or even knowing who it was. Because even a down vote actually SAYS something, and it does not escape public scrutiny.

Sorry - I'm feeling very "open-source" today.

Happy to say that I've not yet used my objection button other than to prove to my fellow mods that the objector IS, in fact, hidden. Godwin's law, of course, says that never using it is probably not possible. But at that point, it rises to reportage, so maybe my goal is saved on a technicality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Slippery slope. I think we will worry about it if it starts to be abused by the mob in any way. Probably wont be much of a problem.
    Sooner or later, somebody is going to invite a flash mob to bury a post in objections, or just to see how many you have to get to make a post go away. Could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I just HAD to like this and quote it, because somebody "chronic-objected" to it! LOOOOOOOOOOL

The price of anonymous nicking, is that we can publicly nick the nicker without recrimination or guilt, or even knowing who it was. Because even a down vote actually SAYS something, and it does not escape public scrutiny.

Sorry - I'm feeling very "open-source" today.

Happy to say that I've not yet used my objection button other than to prove to my fellow mods that the objector IS, in fact, hidden. Godwin's law, of course, says that never using it is probably not possible. But at that point, it rises to reportage, so maybe my goal is saved on a technicality.

- - - Updated - - -

Sooner or later, somebody is going to invite a flash mob to bury a post in objections, or just to see how many you have to get to make a post go away. Could be fun!
    Thanks for passing the salt!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Thanks for passing the salt!

I can't see an "object to this post" button with the posts from the mods.

Blog Entries

Admins or mods? I can object to other mods, but not to admins, it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

That was a fun experiment, Red - if u leave it on my profile.....

It is possible to object to mod posts in exactly the same way as everyone else's.

Admin is the only exception. Thankfully or some of my notices recently would disappear pretty quickly ;-)

Am enjoying the discussion of the possible benefits and drawbacks immensely. It's really cool to get a proper discussion about features such as this and off-topic on the table. It is very helpful to us for plotting the future course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone object to this post so we can see what happens.

Blog Entries

First in!

PS - the "Like" button disappeared, and the Objection button changed to "Undo Objection"

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm the 5th person to object as per your request. I wonder how long it will take to disappear?

I really am not a fan of the like/unlike buttons. I get notifications and I think it's a pm, no, it's just someone liked or didn't like my post. I don't care about that stuff! Too Facebook-y or whatever for me.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

My objection to heperd's post makes the 13th, yet it's still there, openly offending everyone.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

There may not be enough posters left to create a 'critical mass', even if we all give it the thumbs-down!
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Bring back "Off-Topic," please!
    I know this has been discussed. But - just today I would have had a nice contribution to OFF TOPIC space by a personal story how yesterday's Marathon Race in New York City went for my son, who was one of the thousands of runners. Things like that add how we get to know one another.

I suppose that personal (good) stories can only be published in the Personal Blog space.

So, the opportunity for congenial interchange will shift. We could also start more Groups. Right now, the Forum is a little like "ghost town". I don't know which particular old threads to unearth to add some life, because maybe some things were discussed during Huddler time, and would be a repetition.

Oh well, then ... slowly but surely ... hang in there ... time will tell and bring the GOOD OLD BASENOTES back. It could also be that many old members simply have already talked about things one hundred times, and don't want to repeat themselves.

Once again having the ability to block incoming PMs is nice. Missed that during the Huddler period.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    I know this has been discussed. But - just today I would have had a nice contribution to OFF TOPIC space by a personal story how yesterday's Marathon Race in New York City went for my son, who was one of the thousands of runners. Things like that add how we get to know one another.
    Why don't you share this with us in the sotd thread on the female forum? It goes off topic a lot as we talk about our day, and there are enough regular posters that you absolutely do get to know a few things about each other. Just tell us what you smell like, and we'll welcome you and your news with open arms!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Off-topic - please feel free to start groups to discuss off-topic. Also hoping to bring the chat room back when the data and speed are sorted.

As Evangeline kindly says, people get to know each other through the regular boards too! We have lost that personal feel I think and it will be nice to see that back. However please don't start a completely off-topic thread such as "have you seen the latest movie?". Save that for group chat for now please.

+1 what Evangeline said.

I do, kind of feel like I am being constantly watched to see if I go a bit OT on a thread/on the forum...ho hum, it feels less like community and more like I've been thrown into a strict private school. ..just saying my opinion and not trying to be unpleasant. It's ok to disagree here and there.. even if it's not the opinion of the masses I guess. But I do feel like several of us sort of feel the same way...idk.

Having an OT thread on the FDF and MDF would be more than welcome...at least to me.

Just read your post, yes, it's lost that personal feel. Maybe a chat would be nice, idk. But would like to be able to OT here and there and not have to start a group to do so. Just my opinion.

Evangeline: Should we start the retro 90's music group? Hehe. j/k.
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    +1 what Evangeline said.

I do, kind of feel like I am being constantly watched to see if I go a bit OT on a thread/on the forum...ho hum, it feels less like community and more like I've been thrown into a strict private school. ..just saying my opinion and not trying to be unpleasant. It's ok to disagree here and there.. even if it's not the opinion of the masses I guess. But I do feel like several of us sort of feel the same way.

Having an OT thread on the FDF and MDF would be more than welcome...at least to me.

Just read your post, yes, it's lost that personal feel.
    Hi Kalli,

Ironically, I feel it's lost that personal touch BECAUSE of off-topic. People are doing all the getting to know you in there. None of the team is going to delete or ban over a post that "goes a bit OT". It's starting completely off-topic threads and taking a thread completely off-topic to the detriment of the OP that we are asking people to take a break from. I promise you're not being "constantly watched"! (Wish we had those sort of resources ;-)

Give us a week or two to sort out a few things (speed, data, the new wave of mods we've been holding off until the change over) and I think the idea of an off-topic thread in GFD might work as a compromise until we review the situation after Christmas and New Year. There are also the groups which are the member's own responsibility.

Thanks Danielle, the GFD idea sounds like a nice compromise.at least to me anyway

I must be missing something. Why do people keep suggesting an OT thread under MFD/FFD/GFD? Isn't the whole concept of Off-Topic that is doesn't pertain to fragrance? Why would you have an Off-topic for women, and another for men? Or one for both - under General Fragrance Discussion?

Also, having a single OT thread sound like a joke to me. Multiple conversations/ideas all going on at the same time? Wouldn't it go something like this:

A: Did you see the Monday Night game last night? What happened there?
    B: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"
    C: Yeah - that was a crazy game - can't believe they blew it at the end.
    D: What do you call a guy with a rubber toe? Roberto.
    A: I can't see them making the playoffs now.

Perhaps I just don't really understand. There is a lot going on that makes me scratch my head lately. I guess that is one of the more minor ones.

In theory someone could start a off topic group as it's the responsibility of the member. You could just sign up and then we could have our liberties back the same as before.

But I think this idea is a bit cheeky and Danielle may see red so I will leave it just as a thought. lol
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Well an OT thread anywhere is fine with me, I don't care where it's at, LOL.

Well, to keep the OT conversations 'organized'...there is the quote button. But ya, perhaps people would have a few different things to say. Idk. It is an off topic thread though.

Blog Entries

Well, the members have already the Blog space. Very intelligent Blogs and perfume related.

OFF TOPIC is more or less, "Say anything else and regale others with a story that is on your mind" like sharing good stuff.

Fragrantica has one section, "Individual Members Topics" ... just stuff. Like open a topic, one topic only for members, with the idea of "Step into my parlour and let's chat". When - in case that happens - comments are made that offensive to the host/author of the individual topic, the host has the responsibility and the authority to send the offending member to the door.
    So, monitoring takes place, with an easy hand and the Owner of the Individual Topic is the boss.

Who is this new member =Hidden Content=?

I seem to get 'Likes' from people I know and 'Objections' from someone called 'Hidden Content' but no listing in the member role

Lifelong Fragrance Addict

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Who is this new member =Hidden Content=?

I seem to get 'Likes' from people I know and 'Objections' from someone called 'Hidden Content' but no listing in the member role
    Ha ! You crack me up !

I've had that same elusive member Object to my post(s) too ! What's up with that ?!

How about that Monday night game !

I went to school with a Roberto. I never checked his toes,though ! He'd be a million years old like me now, so he may have rubber toes
    Providing knowledge of the Occult, Witchcraft and Paranormal since 1976 !

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools."
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

+ Reply to Thread