Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jay Z is lauching Gold for Men

Parlux had this to say:

"From the beginning of recorded history gold has been associated with royalty, purity and strength. Gold is precious and valuable, a standard by which the value of other things are measured. As expressed in the gilded cap, GOLD JAY Z symbolizes SUCCESS, POWER, CONFIDENCE, COURAGE, STRENGTH and PRIDE.

Everything JAY Z touches turns to GOLD."

Click to enlarge the pic.
    JayZGold.jpg

Top: Ginger, Grapefruit, Blueberry, Cardamom
    Middle: Vetiver, Pink pepper, Lavender, Violet leaf
    Base: Amber, Teak wood, Vanilla, Myrrh

Perfumer: Ilias Ermenidis, who is also responsible for Tommy Bahama for Men, Jil Sander Pure for Men, Boss In Motion Black.

Does it sound golden to you?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: Jay Z is lauching Gold for Men

Pass. I personally don't find anything interesting about this fragrance.
    Last edited by hednic; 29th October 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Would have gone with different notes for 'golden'.

Basenotes Plus

It looked somewhat interesting until I read the base notes.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Would have gone with different notes for 'golden'.
    Yep.

It's only the blueberry, violet leaf and maybe the teak that differentiate this list of notes from any other slapdash modern release, and I'd wager that they won't be very prominent in this fragrance.

Even with it's ginger,pink pepper and vanilla generic note listing that a ton of modern releases seem to have, I'll still give it a try if I come across it

Basenotes Plus

My guess? Smells nice, but mediocre longevity.

In general his fragrances aren't bad, so I'll try it. I'm not expecting much, but you never know.

"On to the next one, on to the next one"

-Jay Z

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    "On to the next one, on to the next one"

-Jay Z
    I want 99 fragrances but this ain't one?

Everything Jay z turns to Gold BS yeah more like angel dust lol ( he was a crack dealer in his youth)
    Never a fan of hip hop fragrances along with other celebrity fragrances, it just feels cheesy owning one. Another thing with hip hop fragrances in particular they all serve the purpose of feeding the egos of meglomaniac rappers.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 29th October 2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I want 99 fragrances but this ain't one?

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Jay z ( he was a crack dealer in his youth).
    Who wasn't, that's a non-issue from a non-entity....

....about the fragrance release, pass.

I may give it some thought when it shows up at my local Marshall's (and it will).

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post

Not all hip hop artists were crack dealers. In any case all of Jayz's fragrances are pathetic. The only decent hip hop fragrance was Sean John's Unforgivable ( knock off of MI) which has been discontinued now along with his other fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    I may give it some thought when it shows up at my local Marshall's (and it will).
    +1 .

Blog Entries

I'll check it out. I have all the Rocawear fragrances (OK - bought every one on discount, but still). They're among the better mall frags IMO. Yes, Unforgivable is the standout classic of the hip-hop fragrances, but I really feel that Evolution was almost on par with some very respected designer fragrances like Body Kouros, Polo Double Black, and a few others. Could this one be nice? I'm willing to give it a sniff to find out!

My guess: attempting Bleu de Chanel clone.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

You would think for as much wealth as he has acquired, he could have went to Creed to have something made for him to market. So this fragrance thing is getting saturated it seems. From Sean John/David Beckham/Jaguar/Mercedes Benz/Ferrari/Bentley/Jay-Z...... Okay?!

Well I'm sure someone will purchase it; I suppose.

Plenty weren't. They also didn't stab a record exec in the stomach and get off without jail time. Feel no desire to line his pockets on this one, or anything else he does.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    You would think for as much wealth as he has acquired, he could have went to Creed to have something made for him to market.
    There's simply no way Creed would ever consider doing that.

'Gold for Men'... Boring and unimaginative name, just like the guy himself...

Hope it's better than the last ones.

Not all hip hop artists were crack dealers. In any case all of Jayz's fragrances are pathetic. The only decent hip hop fragrance was Sean John's Unforgivable ( knock off of MI) which has been discontinued now along with his other fragrances.
    Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    Plenty weren't. They also didn't stab a record exec in the stomach and get off without jail time. Feel no desire to line his pockets on this one, or anything else he does.
    I said nothing about hip hop artist, I said who wasn't, meaning everybody, globally. Please forgive my use of the lowest form of wit, sarcasm. I stated that to basically say that it is a non-issue and is irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is fragrances. That he sold whatever or stabbed whoever has no bearing on a discussion about fragrances, nor is it any indication of the quality of the fragrance composition that he has chosen to attach his name to; it's just a jab, a poke at his person, that adds nothing to the commentary about fragrances.
    Last edited by PEARL; 30th October 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Ingredients look good on paper, I guess this will be mainstream but actual blend of composition and artistry is another thing when we actually take a sniff at it...well see

eventhough I don't approve of JZ, and what he stands for ....cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I wonder if Kanye will launch a fragrance, they should call it Eau de Douchebag.

Pass....and I like Hov a lot.

Blog Entries

I wonder if Kanye will launch a fragrance, they should call it Eau de Douchebag.
    "I'm a really happy for you.... I'm a let you finish.... but Beyoncé had one of the best fragrances of all time!"

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.39.14 PM.jpg

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Ingredients look good on paper, I guess this will be mainstream but actual blend of composition and artistry is another thing when we actually take a sniff at it...well see

eventhough I don't approve of JZ, and what he stands for ....cheerios
    FYI - notes are not the same as ingredients. I don't think that any of the things listed as notes are actually used to make this fragrance, with the possible exception of lavender. There are synthetics than smell sort of like all of those things. If you already knew this, sorry for misunderstanding.

What does Jay Z stand for exactly?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    A little off topic, no?

Kidding! You'll sometimes see him referred to as Hova, so Jay-Hova = Jehovah, the God of rap. I've no idea where the Z comes from though.

Man, that whole gilded cap business is a bit of a turn off, but the notes don't sound too bad.

Guerlainista

A little off topic, no?

Kidding! You'll sometimes see him referred to as Hova, so Jay-Hova = Jehovah, the God of rap. I've no idea where the Z comes from though.
    No, that's not what I meant. Magnus said that he doesn't believe in what Jay Z stands for. I was asking because I don't know. I'm assuming it's some deeply held fragrance-related belief, of course. ;-)

No, that's not what I meant. Magnus said that he doesn't believe in what Jay Z stands for. I was asking because I don't know. I'm assuming it's some deeply held fragrance-related belief, of course. ;-)
    Gotcha! Excuse me while I wash the egg off my face.

Bottle and name are tacky as hell

Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    Bottle and name are tacky as hell
    Is it tacky when Amouage does it?

Not a fan of Jay Z or anything associated with him especially Beyoncé. Personally I think the dude has enough money and glory. I'll keep my nose away from this.

Is it tacky when Amouage does it?
    Definitely haha. But tacky is not just how it looks. And while it looks tacky (because of the all white with the lame lettering and gold cap), I also see that cap and bet it will be cheap plastic like that Christian Audigier bottle, which contributes to its tackiness. Also, Jay-Z's mug in the ad doesn't help either.

Edit: Notice I'm not hating on the smell though, cause I haven't smelled it yet! I bet it will smell decent, as I doubt Jay-Z would just throw crap out there without having smelled it himself first. He's a business, mannnn...so I bet he's making sure it's appealing enough to sell a ton of.

I said nothing about hip hop artist, I said who wasn't, meaning everybody, globally. Please forgive my use of the lowest form of wit, sarcasm. I stated that to basically say that it is a non-issue and is irrelevant to the topic at hand, which is fragrances. That he sold whatever or stabbed whoever has no bearing on a discussion about fragrances, nor is it any indication of the quality of the fragrance composition that he has chosen to attach his name to; it's just a jab, a poke at his person, that adds nothing to the commentary about fragrances.
    But the people behind the fragrance are important. We are consumers of these products and we help to finance these people and their enterprises. In a capitalist society the consumer does have a responsibility to be aware of which businesses one is supporting.

If Saddam Hussein had brought out a fragrance, you can bet many people would not have bought it no matter how good it smelled or who the perfumers was. Remember that uproar not too long ago concerning Duchafour's work for some dictator's daughter? There were posters claiming they would never buy another of his perfumes and other's even went so far as to say they would rid their collections of his work.

Back to the fragrance, I think it will be generic and I would never even considering trying or buying it. A waste of time. Maybe that's foolish for someone who is interested in fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    "I'm a really happy for you.... I'm a let you finish.... but Beyoncé had one of the best fragrances of all time!"

Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 11.39.14 PM.jpg
    Yeah that Beyonce one is nice

FYI -

I thought he named himself after Jeyes Fluid ?

[

Pass.

Based of the notes I think it will be a watered down version of Prada Amber pour Homme, I will check it out for what its worth when hits TJ Maxx or Ross in 2 months, which is where all hip hop fragrances end up.

Remember the artists almost never have anything to do with these fragrances. They just endorse the checks. This seems to be a result of a handful of mass marketers approaching celebrities for sales appeal. Can you imagine if this was common 50-75 years ago?

Hitler pour Homme: Layer it with any scent and Hitler will overwhelm it for a few hours only to eventually surrender.
    Stalin pour Homme: Not wearing this monolithic scent will get you free travel to a pre-selected undisclosed location.
    Milosevic EDT: An anachronistic smoky powerhouse of days gone by that everyone wants to forget.
    OJ: The smell of blood and concrete, but he'll deny it.

It will smell like every other Spicebomb knockoff mess released in the last 2 years and it will be a big seller for a while. Most people will buy any garbage they are told to buy.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I will sample this when it's released. You never know!

I'll try it, but I've seen those notes in many fragrances. I think with the name "Gold", he should have gone with less generic notes, and gone a little darker, woodier, etc.
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    Looks like you didnt say it.
    I guess youre not very familiar with the site. There has been lots of pre-hate for lots of "Anglo-Saxon" fragrances. Whatever those are....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I haven't been impressed with celebrity fragrances, in general.

Heperd

I think some in this thread would be more open minded about the fragrance if it didn't come from a hip hop artist. And that is sad. I'd appreciate it if you didn't misquote a post by trying to work from memory. That's all I have to say about it.

Guerlainista

Heperd

I think some in this thread would be more open minded about the fragrance if it didn't come from a hip hop artist. And that is sad. I'd appreciate it if you didn't misquote a post by trying to work from memory. That's all I have to say about it.
    No need to work from memory. The notification is still there in my email inbox. You said:

"Wow @ the haters. That is all. If it was some unknown European Anglo Saxon pretentious bulls**t, many that are "passing" would be inclined to keep an open mind. Yes, I said it."

And then you deleted it.

How many unknown *European* Anglo-Saxon pretentious celebrity fragrances do you see people fawning over pre-release? Could you name a few?

You're quick to think the worst. There may be some prejudice at work here, but for the most part this seems like people being justifiably skeptical about yet another celeb fragrance that sounds like any other designer crap fragrance out there.
    Last edited by rubegon; 6th November 2013 at 03:32 AM.

Heperd

Yes, rappers, footballers, etc. Nothing sad about it.

Blog Entries

I got to try it today - in some ways, almost expected, but in other ways, not.

Closest things it reminds me of are two Bonds that I own - I<3NY For Him and Harrods For Him. They both share a strong creamy, slightly powdery accord that reads "white", like the bottle. But on top of that, when it opens, is a very distinct, sharp, but not unpleasant note that is a LOT like the central theme of Creed MI and SMW. My favorite part is a bit of tobacco-ish stuff that seems to stay with it for quite a while.

I'll be tempted to get this, but I'd like a full wear. I suspect that the base is going to be better than the Bond I<3NY For Him, where the wood is a bit raspy. This seems to be staying very smooth as it heads toward the end.

Interesting cap. Reminds me of a lot of certain lettered metal artworks that I like. $70 for a big bottle plus travel size (15 mL).

I tried it today at Macy's too. A standard synthetic woody amber as countless others. Agree with the comparison with the Creeds. It's a genre I strongly dislike, unfortunately.

cacio

Crazy! This is available at Macy's? That seems hardly to believe considering it was written somewhere that this wouldn't be available until Black Friday at retailers other than Barney's. Either way, I'll reserve judgement until I smell it. And to the comment that celebrities don't get involved with the creation - that's a false generalization. Many have been very involved: Madonna, Jay-Z with this particular project, 50 Cent, Donald Trump & Sarah Jessica Parker just to name a few. But the extent of involvement depends on the celebrities actually interest in fragrances.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I tried it today at Macy's too. A standard synthetic woody amber as countless others. Agree with the comparison with the Creeds. It's a genre I strongly dislike, unfortunately.

cacio
    It's very mainstream, and comparable to a lot of scents that were not well loved on here for that reason.

Looking back again at the listed notes:

Top: Ginger, Grapefruit, Blueberry, Cardamom
    Middle: Vetiver, Pink pepper, Lavender, Violet leaf
    Base: Amber, Teak wood, Vanilla, Myrrh
    The opening is a bit complex and interesting in a typical designer masculine way: I can see how it's probably ginger, grapefruit, blueberry, pink pepper, and violet leaf.

The white stuff feels like cardamom and vanilla, warmed up by the amber and myrrh. The vetiver and wood are there, but not really standout.

The reality - like all designer men's fragrances - something built around a woody amber!

I too tried this yesterday at Macy's in Northeast Wisconsin (if they have it here, it must be everywhere!). The SA came over to me and seemed embarrassed when she said "here is the new Jay-Z cologne" (I was look at the Issey Miake) "It smells very similar to that" (ummm?) Anyway on first scent, it was actually very nice, a warm peppery shot with a hint of floral lavendar underneath. I said it was "alright" and went on my way. I smelled the paper card about 2 hours later and all I could smell were the base woody scents of Gold. By the time I was done with work (5 hours after initial spray) I couldn't smell anything on the card. If the top and mid notes could last more than an hour and the scent itself had better longevity, It might actually be worth something because the initial spray is quite good (I was expecting a "bug spray" smell). During christmas shopping I'll probably stop by and try it again without any other scents on and walk around for a while with it.

Smells like a cheap Spicebomb copy. Just like I predicted. Smells like 50 other frags released in the last year.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Basenotes Plus

Tried it at Macy's. Rather mainstream. Doesn't have a stand-out character, but not a bad fragrance at all. Skin scent after an hour; lasted 3-4 hours. Musk not mentioned...but I got something musky at dry down. Oh, nice bottle.
    Hard for me to buy because there are so many other fragrances that "sticks out".

Quote Originally Posted by Gary F View Post
    I haven't been impressed with celebrity fragrances, in general.
    The only celebrity scent I've ever liked, embarrassingly enough, was Power by 50 Cent. It actually didn't smell like a generic ripoff of everything out there at the time.

I smelled this today. Good for a teen. Longevity is indeed suspect. And as a hiphop fan, those two assessments also fit as statements about his music.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread - AGAIN
    I still need a Creed Original Vetiver 120ml cap...

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    The only celebrity scent I've ever liked, embarrassingly enough, was Power by 50 Cent. It actually didn't smell like a generic ripoff of everything out there at the time.

I smelled this today. Good for a teen. Longevity is indeed suspect. And as a hiphop fan, those two assessments also fit as statements about his music.
    That's gold...
    "The mind once enlightened cannot again grow dark" ~Thomas Paine