Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Hommage -- What else has this feel?

So I tried a sample of this lovely scent today and it was......well lovely, if quiet. Had to bury my nose in my arm to detect it all. Of course, I had a tiny sample so I was pretty sparing in the application.

At any rate, I enjoyed it very much, but a purchase of such a costly attar is out of the question. Sooooo, what is the next best thing? What can you recommend that has a similar feel and scent but a more modest price tag. Please tell me there is something.
    Last edited by danieq; 29th October 2013 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Amouage Hommage -- What else has this feel?

If you can find Ayoon Al Maha, it's amazing, but unlike the current Homage - is your sample a recent version of Homage?

I'm afraid I have no idea how old the sample might be, it was sent along by a fellow BNer.

If it didn't have much sillage, it's the recent. It is just not my style - it gets a lot of love here (and even by critics like Luca Turin)- but to me it smells like a very good, but simple, clean orange blossom.

The current Caron perfumer is also in love with clean orange blossoms, so I wonder whether there's something in the range - perhaps Larimar can chime in. En Avion is a beautiful orange blossom plus leather; I don't know if it exists in edt, the parfum would be very expensive. Narcisse noir reportedly is now also a very clean orange blossom, though, again, I don't know its edt status.

cacio

Sounds like you have the more recent one.

The original release is superb, one of the most sublime pieces of work I have ever experienced, but I'm not gonna rub it in - if the new version is 'hard to detect' then probably best to just move on. I have tried some mukhallats where the quality of the rose is comparable to the original Homage but these are oud based. I suspect those with more ready access to attars in the right locations might be able to come up with a suitable rose and frankincense styled piece but I haven't actually seen any recommendations to date. The Amouage is such a unique thing . . . one for special occasions.

Interesting, I didn't get Orange Blossom at all. I'm not certain that the sillage is lacking since I used the tiniest of dabs, it being such a wee sample.

It was much more complex than just orange blossom I think. Can't say I detected Rose though.

I'd say the relation between original and current is similar to that between original and current Lyric woman (which I know you love). The current Homage is not a straightforward orange, there's probably some frankincense and other materials in there, but it does have a clean, straightforward feel compared to the vintage whirl of flowers and the support of oud.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'd say the relation between original and current is similar to that between original and current Lyric woman (which I know you love). The current Homage is not a straightforward orange, there's probably some frankincense and other materials in there, but it does have a clean, straightforward feel compared to the vintage whirl of flowers and the support of oud.

cacio
    Thanks Cacio!

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I'm afraid I have no idea how old the sample might be, it was sent along by a fellow BNer.
    I bought it recently from luckyscent.com and was disappointed. Like you, I could barely smell it, even directly after application. I started a thread about it a while back and learned there's been a reformulation and the current version isn't like the original.

You might try Une Rose. It floored me. A bottle's on the way.

ha ha Scentfan! Une Rose is very nice, but after trying it a few times on myself, I'm finding that it turns sour. Made me very very sad as I really loved it the first couple of times. Everyone's skin is different! Enjoy it, I'm sure you're going to smell amazing!

Oh no! I'll be crushed if it turns sour on me. In that event, I'll just have to persevere until I find my most beloved rose. Thankfully, Rubegon's doing the foot work for us.

p.s. Btw, that was a nearly full sample I sent you. Luckyscent gives out a mere dab per vial.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Oh no! I'll be crushed if it turns sour on me. In that event, I'll just have to persevere until I find my most beloved rose. Thankfully, Rubegon's doing the foot work for us.
    Wow, he really is! I am loving his threads on the subject of my lovely rose!

I'm sure it won't go sour on you, don't worry a bit. I haven't heard that from anyone else. I'm just lucky I guess. (Did you try the Lyric yet?) I'm interested to know what you think of it.

I suggest you try Amouage Ubar

Luckily I just got a sample of Ubar. I will compare!

By the way, attars need a lot of warmth to "ignite".

I'll dab on oud oil and won't smell much for an hour, then after a hot cup of coffee or tea my body warms up and the oud just radiates.

I suggest you dab some on your pulse points or where you normally get warm.

for swap/sale:

Great advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

I'll dab on oud oil and won't smell much for an hour, then after a hot cup of coffee or tea my body warms up and the oud just radiates.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

This sounds useful, and also tells me it ought to work well for me, living in the rather warm desert! TFS

Kafkaesque recently reviewed a few fragrances from Arabian Oud (including my beloved Kalemat). She mentioned that Ghroob smelt an awful lot like Homage Attar. I promptly ordered a bottle.

It should arrive in the next week or so, and I will report back on the experience.

(assuming, that is, that I can even get the damned site to load--arrrrrgh.)

Quote Originally Posted by lairdangus View Post
    Kafkaesque recently reviewed a few fragrances from Arabian Oud (including my beloved Kalemat). She mentioned that Ghroob smelt an awful lot like Homage Attar. I promptly ordered a bottle.

It should arrive in the next week or so, and I will report back on the experience.

(assuming, that is, that I can even get the damned site to load--arrrrrgh.)
    Oh wonderful! I'll be delighted to hear your impressions. Thank you !