Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default New from MDCI - Cuir Garamante

New Release from MDCI Cuir Garamante.

Garamante refers to a Saharian tribe (the Garamantians) during the Antiquity.

This leather is very balmy and smoky with a surprising refreshing rosy start.

Notes include: Rose berry, Nutmeg, Saffron, Rose, Oud, Papyrus, leather, vanilla, labdanum, incense, sandalwood.

It has just arrived at Osswalds in New York. The price is $293 for 60ml Eau de Parfum in the plain bottle and $425.00 with the Bust.

Default Re: New from MDCI - Cuir Garamante

MDCI - one of the last high-end brands in terms of quality left on the market I know of, so I look forward to trying this. Thanks for the info, by the way.

I've sampled it, it's potent stuff! Very animalic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Yeah -- thought it would be

It sounds intriguing, though some of those notes are little dubious. (What's rose berry? And what does papyrus smell of?)

Thanks for this info. Was wondering when they'd be coming out with a new one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for this info. Was wondering when they'd be coming out with a new one.
    There is also another new one, Nuit Andalouse. You can read a little about both of them here:

MDCI

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I see a new split on the horizon...

Is there a split coming soon on this one , as soon as fiasco of changing back program is complets ...Ahhh palm beach??
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Animalic leather? Sounds very interesting!

To sami:
    not having smelled this one, I assume papyrus means cypriol or nagarmota, which should smell dry, woody, almost smoky.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Animalic leather? Sounds very interesting!

To sami:
    not having smelled this one, I assume papyrus means cypriol or nagarmota, which should smell dry, woody, almost smoky.

cacio
    I'm thinking of a more ferocious INTERLUDE -- steady yourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Any comparisons to existing leathers?

If you read the interview with Claude on the other forum, he states that this one is more "mainstream" than his current offerings. What I see here seems to negate this a bit but we'll all have to sample it full on before any true judgement. Check the link that PalmBeach posted above, it's great info, straight from the source.

A "potent,animalic,ferocious Interlude is definitely not what I was expecting from the Fragrantica interview!!! We can hope though.

Lastly, I gotta ask; if this is supposedly more mainstream in Claude's eyes then why the price increase over the usual $250 for the MDCI non-resin bust edition bottles. Perhaps because it's an exclusive.....?

Basenotes Plus

I have to agree with evogel. Anyone thinking they will be getting a ferocious Interlude is in for a big letdown. I have a tiny roll-on sample, that I have given a small swipe to my hand, not enough to give a final judgement. My initial impressions was not one that would support animalic, but that is just me.

I also would be hard pressed to say this is mainstream. Maybe for MDCI, this is more mainsteam than their other fragrances, but it would not be the term I would use.

Once I get a chance to give it a real wearing, I will post some thoughts.

I too was surprised it did not follow their normal pricing. Maybe it is because it's an exclusive, or possibly a price hike is in the horizon, ala Tom Ford, and they started with their newest one. On this, time will tell.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the info PB.

Just spoke to Franco at Luckyscent, he said the higher price is due to the fact that these two new scents are going to be 75ml, not 60ml, and that the previous fragrances in the line will also be eventually switched to the 75ml size (without a price increase, as of this writing).

He said the leather «had a nice smooth skank undertone». Sounds good to me! Launch is expected within 3 weeks for Cuir and December for the Nuits Andalouses.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Just spoke to Franco at Luckyscent, he said the higher price is due to the fact that these two new scents are going to be 75ml, not 60ml, and that the previous fragrances in the line will also be eventually switched to the 75ml size (without a price increase, as of this writing).

He said the leather «had a nice smooth skank undertone». Sounds good to me! Launch is expected within 3 weeks for Cuir and December for the Nuits Andalouses.
    Okaaayyy. just got off the phone with Osswalds. The bottles they have are first run bottles, that have been signed, dated and serialized, for whatever that means. They are 60ml bottles.

You are correct, all the new stock will be coming in at 75ml and the price will be the same as all the others, no price increase.

It get's more confusing every day.

Interesting and one to look out for. Love the name as it sounds like a James Bond villain. lol

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    It sounds intriguing, though some of those notes are little dubious. (What's rose berry? And what does papyrus smell of?)
    Sam, I was also wondering too.

There is a Roseberry strawberry
    roseberry.jpg

But it could also be Rose hip or Water elderberry or European cranberry, or simply a fantasy note.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Tried this one from a sample and was disappointed! Why? Because it has that generic, synthetic and sharp (Norlimbanol anyone?) note found in every "Oud" fragrance released within the past 2 or 3 years. Claude Marchal says: "Of course, there is a good reason why I have finally, after all these years, decided to join the crowd, jump on the bandwagon, whatever you call it."
    To me Cuir Garamante smells very close to Amouage Opus VI. I find it sweet but sharp and I don't get any leather. MDCI had very unique and natural smelling fragrances but this one smells very un-natural or synthetic to me. Sad, very sad!

Luckyscent, with Ivory Bust 375.00, or 250.00 refill both 75mls, I wonder if they would sell it with the woman's bust instead, I already have the male version.
    I LOVE MDCI, Chypre Palatin is my go to for formal or special events,nothing like it.
    I just don't need another leather at the present time, I have Patchouli 24, Cuir de Russie, Cuir 28 (IMO more of a Vetiver), Cuir Velours. But dying to sniff cause it's MDCI.
    Too bad winter doesn't last longer.....(won't be saying this in a couple of months)

Went to Osswald's today just to smell it, I hate to bash MDCI, but, really?!?!?....typical rose, saffron, oud accords, smells more like a subdued Montale, so not like MDCI, very uninspired, well made, but common. I guess I won't be getting the lady bust, no how.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    There is also another new one, Nuit Andalouse. You can read a little about both of them here:

MDCI
    Will check out that one on Saturday when I stop at at Osswalds.
    (1511)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

There's a nice review by BN member Hilaire on my blog if you're interested...

http://neroprofumo.blogspot.it/2013/...die-jones.html

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thank You Palmbeach, Alfarom and all contributors. Very interesting. Thanks Freddie! Lovely article.

Blog Entries

Yes, thanks for posting. I'm not surprised that it's more Aoud and no leather. What a downer. Same old thing from all these companies. You have to wonder if any of them are reading BN. Hello out there.....

I was planning on picking up a sample, but if it's similar to Opus VI, I'll pass. I love Opus VI, but if I'm wanting something that smells like it, I'll just buy more of the same, since it's great. Hopefully more information and experiences with this scent become available as people start getting it. Maybe the consensus will change. I was hoping for something new and different...

I did not like this - it just crossed the line for me. Burning tires under the sun.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Burning tires under the sun.
    Sounds like a keeper in my book

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I smelled this last week. A nice leather. I agree it's a smooth leather, just very slightly animalic, with ambery touches and a bit of an oud reconstruction (I cannot comment on the Tunisian leather smell). Definitely not butch, but smooth and rich, in MDCI style. Yet given the number of good leathers around, perhaps not on my to-buy list.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    (Norlimbanol anyone?)
    This!
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Blog Entries

Well, it turns out I really like this one. I purchased it. Smooth, creamy chypre, very old school and unisex.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Well, it turns out I really like this one. I purchased it. Smooth, creamy chypre, very old school and unisex.
    Like it also and agree - smooth, refined and overall pleasant.

how can that sharp note be smooth and creamy? But those comments are helpful in a way... what's smooth and creamy to some members is sharp and "noisy" to me, Noted!

Because each person nose receptors and brains are tuned differently.

Definitely not sharp or noisy to me either. What I think must be the cyperus, is really original and gives the fragrance a nice sweet vibe overall and well blended as always with this house.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.