Code of Conduct

Thread: Oud Shamash

Default Oud Shamash

Currently really enjoying Oud Shamash, and am finding a common note/accord shared with Timbuktu. In my estimation it is either cypriol or the type of incense used. I would love to know what it is.

Could someone who is familiar with both care to comment. Calling drseid!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...
    Currently wearing: Holy Shit by Pekji

Default Re: Oud Shamash

Yeah I could see that. I'm not exactly
    Sure what though.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."

Sound Scents

Wish I could be more help Mick, but I tried to rummage around for my Timbuktu sample for comparison as it has been ages since I tested/wore it, but it just wasn't on I'm afraid. That sample bag of mine has gotten *way* too big and unwieldy to find anything, and after 20 minutes of desperate looking I had to give up the hunt. So while very familiar with Oud Shamash I just cant remember the individual notes of Timbuktu enough to form a proper comparison. I guess one thing that could indicate some stylistic similarities is the two are both Duchaufour compositions, of course...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Thanks drseid - next time to test Timbuktu have a think.

Oud Shamash is the business though, great stuff. It's like Duchaufour took the best elements from some of his previous work (Timbuktu - cypriol and dry spices, Jub XXV - creamy incense) and added a splash of oud, everything comes together in a beautiful synergy. Each time I wear this I am loving it more. I can easily see why you rate this as one of BD's crowning achievements.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...
    Currently wearing: Holy Shit by Pekji

Now you have me guessing and wondering also. I have bottles of both but never connected the two. Will give it a shot to see if my awful nose can pick up any commonalities.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Only wore Timbuktu once or twice, but I sure didn't remember anything similar either.

I do think Oud Shamash smells a lot like Mancera's Sand Oud (and to a lesser extent, Robert Piguet Oud).

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Oud Shamash is the business though, great stuff. It's like Duchaufour took the best elements from some of his previous work (Timbuktu - cypriol and dry spices, Jub XXV - creamy incense) and added a splash of oud, everything comes together in a beautiful synergy.
    Now that sounds quite divine. Gotta hunt for a sample soon.

blind bought this. big mistake. and i'm a huge oud fan. this was as disappointing of a let down as i can remember in my many years in this hobby.

perhaps the reviews of this set me up for failure, but consider three noses i respect:

Buzzlepuff: "The most amazing quality of this scent is how rich and full it feels. You get a feeling of how huge the universe is and time seems to stand still when you inhale Oud Shamash. The fragrance smells robust, festive, energetic and alive. I like it. rating: 5 / 5."

ClaireV: "Oud Shamash does this. The first spray brings on an avalanche of aromas . . . Within minutes, though, it fluffs up into a spiced haze of sweet-and-sour woods, dry spice, and vanilla that hangs around the body like a red-brown dust cloud. The transformation – the lift – is breathtaking. . . . The oud in Oud Shamash is magnificent . . . It’s a pleasure to wear, and perhaps the best thing I’ve worn recently."

drseid: "Oud Shamash is a very complex slightly sweet, spicy woody oriental that is one of the best things Bertrand Duchaufour has composed to date (and that is a great compliment indeed). It is highly refined, but despite its immense polish it never loses its character. . . . The bottom line is Duchaufour has a masterpiece caliber Oud-centric work here . . . those seeking their Oud compositions with more refinement, complexity and control should definitely seek this one out for a sniff as it is a towering 4.5+ star out of 5 rated masterpiece."

my take after repeated full wearings? it's the current iteration of YSL M7, at 60% strength. yes, literally take 6 parts M7 and mix it with 4 parts perfumers alcohol, and you have Oud Shamash.

The Different Company advertises that it's one of the few western oud fragrances to contain real oud oil (Laos). could have fooled me. i have a few real oud oils. i can barely even register an oud note at all in this. i have to use my imagination. i get spices on top of a cedar/sandalwood plank, with a strong chemical vetiver vibe, a healthy shot of IsoEsuper, and a synthetic ambergris base.

all of that sounds like it would be good, right? and it might be, if it weren't so transparent. i put 7 sprays of this on (generous sprayer, too), sat next to my lady on the couch, and she could not smell anything. so i leaned over and told her to smell my wrist and asked "does this smell good to you?" she shrugged and goes "not particularly".

if Oud Shamash was $60, it might be worth it. I wouldn't buy it, but theoretically it might be worth it. at $220, i can honestly say i've been had.

oh well, such is the life of a blind buyer! onwards.....
    Last edited by Dandy Lion; 15th March 2016 at 08:17 PM.
    Currently wearing: Accord Oud by Byredo

Basenotes Plus

^^^ Don't beat yourself up too bad. It happened to many of us. It still happens to me once in a while but I have set a $ threshold for blind buying. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    ^^^ Don't beat yourself up too bad. It happened to many of us. It still happens to me once in a while but I have set a $ threshold for blind buying. Lesson learned.
    thanks.

it's cool... i'm wearing Oud Ispahan now to remind me what a real oud knockout is.

It is this kind of post that makes Basenotes so worthwhile.
    The Lion was had, but what a great education for the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy Lion View Post
    blind bought this. big mistake. and i'm a huge oud fan. this was as disappointing of a let down as i can remember in my many years in this hobby.

perhaps the reviews of this set me up for failure, but consider three noses i respect:

Buzzlepuff: "The most amazing quality of this scent is how rich and full it feels. You get a feeling of how huge the universe is and time seems to stand still when you inhale Oud Shamash. The fragrance smells robust, festive, energetic and alive. I like it. rating: 5 / 5."

ClaireV: "Oud Shamash does this. The first spray brings on an avalanche of aromas . . . Within minutes, though, it fluffs up into a spiced haze of sweet-and-sour woods, dry spice, and vanilla that hangs around the body like a red-brown dust cloud. The transformation – the lift – is breathtaking. . . . The oud in Oud Shamash is magnificent . . . It’s a pleasure to wear, and perhaps the best thing I’ve worn recently."

drseid: "Oud Shamash is a very complex slightly sweet, spicy woody oriental that is one of the best things Bertrand Duchaufour has composed to date (and that is a great compliment indeed). It is highly refined, but despite its immense polish it never loses its character. . . . The bottom line is Duchaufour has a masterpiece caliber Oud-centric work here . . . those seeking their Oud compositions with more refinement, complexity and control should definitely seek this one out for a sniff as it is a towering 4.5+ star out of 5 rated masterpiece."

my take after repeated full wearings? it's the current iteration of YSL M7, at 60% strength. yes, literally take 6 parts M7 and mix it with 4 parts perfumers alcohol, and you have Oud Shamash.

The Different Company advertises that it's one of the few western oud fragrances to contain real oud oil (Laos). could have fooled me. i have a few real oud oils. i can barely even register an oud note at all in this. i have to use my imagination. i get spices on top of a cedar/sandalwood plank, with a strong chemical vetiver vibe, a healthy shot of IsoEsuper, and a synthetic ambergris base.

all of that sounds like it would be good, right? and it might be, if it weren't so transparent. i put 7 sprays of this on (generous sprayer, too), sat next to my lady on the couch, and she could not smell anything. so i leaned over and told her to smell my wrist and asked "does this smell good to you?" she shrugged and goes "not particularly".

if Oud Shamash was $60, it might be worth it. I wouldn't buy it, but theoretically it might be worth it. at $220, i can honestly say i've been had.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    It is this kind of post that makes Basenotes so worthwhile.
    The Lion was had, but what a great education for the rest of us.
    But only if you have the exact same preferences as him.

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    But only if you have the exact same preferences as him.
    i think by "education", he means a reminder of the riskiness of blind buying and putting too much stock into reviews (which i am way guilty of). not an education on how much Oud Shamash blows.

can i say "blows"?

I never thought much of this one as it lasted only three hours on my skin. I felt it came out of the gate strongly with a boatload of notes which soon fell apart, and the oud was very shy in this fragrance. The scent reminded me of Jubilation by Amouage which would be my preference over this one.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

thanks.

it's cool... i'm wearing Oud Ispahan now to remind me what a real oud knockout is.
    This is interesting, because Oud Ispahan is the opposite of what I would consider real oud...don't get me wrong, I love it, but not for its authenticity.
    Currently wearing: Boucheron by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    This is interesting, because Oud Ispahan is the opposite of what I would consider real oud...don't get me wrong, I love it, but not for its authenticity.
    i didn't mean it smells like real oud. i meant, like, a "real winner"! my words are not coming out right lately, sorry.

outside of real oud oils, the best synthetic representation of oud is probably MFK Cashmere Mood or maybe Killian Pure Oud. they stick to replicating the real thing without too much artistic license thrown in.

where i think Oud Ispahan excels is that i absolutely do pick up a serious oud note (synthetic, but high quality and pretty strong) as well as a lot of personality (a relaxed rose and laburnum that makes the fragrance feel lighthearted and easy to wear).

Sorry to hear it wasn't to your liking.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

i didn't mean it smells like real oud. i meant, like, a "real winner"! my words are not coming out right lately, sorry.

outside of real oud oils, the best synthetic representation of oud is probably MFK Cashmere Mood or maybe Killian Pure Oud. they stick to replicating the real thing without too much artistic license thrown in.

where i think Oud Ispahan excels is that i absolutely do pick up a serious oud note (synthetic, but high quality and pretty strong) as well as a lot of personality (a relaxed rose and laburnum that makes the fragrance feel lighthearted and easy to wear).
    gotcha. I agree with you on the best representations.
    Currently wearing: Boucheron by Boucheron

I more or less had the same experience as you, though I did detect the presence of an oud note (which wasn't so great).

I remember it smelled like some interesting spices dominated by cinnamon, a polished sort of rubbery oud, and a vanilla/amber base with some woods. But the fragrance needed some beefing up. I'm not of the "projection monster" ilk either, but I hate when a good fragrance gets ruined by a structure that feels flat and deflated, like someone let the air out of it. That's how Oud Shamash came across to me. It felt like there was supposed to be depth and richness,some sort of vertical, 3 dimensional structure to house its complexity, but they forgot that part and went ahead and bottled it.
    My wardrobe is up to date as of 5/22/16.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley