Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Off Topic

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Off Topic

Would there be any way to have Off-Topic not show up in New Posts?

That way only those wanting to relax and talk about other things could go there, without distracting those who only want to see fragrance related posts.

BN isn't just where I go to discuss fragrance; I've gotten quite fond of you all and enjoy discussing other things too, as one does with friends. Do I really need to find another forum just to chat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maybe BASENOTES could start a POLL to find out how many members want an OFF TOPIC area?
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Would there be any way to have Off-Topic not show up in New Posts?

That way only those wanting to relax and talk about other things could go there, without distracting those who only want to see fragrance related posts.

BN isn't just where I go to discuss fragrance; I've gotten quite fond of you all and enjoy discussing other things too, as one does with friends. Do I really need to find another forum just to chat?
    I'm sure something like this would be possible as it's likely to involve a bit of coding. IMHO, the issue with that would be cost and when it will happen. I'm sure the admins have a lot more work on their hands right now and wouldn't think this is the main priority. There's still a lot of data to migrate over from the previous site (is that now considered the old site? ) for example.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I have never bothered with the OT section so shan't miss it, but I understand the disquiet of those who do. The resources of the moderating team are obviously limited so it makes sense to concentrate efforts on getting the fragrance-related parts right IMO.

It seems that a disproportionate amount of time and effort has been consumed by the OT section.

Despite the expansion in the moderating team, there have still been daily spammy posts on the MFD in recent weeks.
    Disclaimer: idk lol

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, first things first of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Maybe BASENOTES could start a POLL to find out how many members want an OFF TOPIC area?
    This!

Post Thanks / Like

I will say this finally and then I shall leave for good,I have been a member of Basenotes since 2007,but just recently got back to posting on it.
    Yes, first and foremost it is a fragrance site for people to talk about fragrances,but frankly HOW MUCH can one possibly say on this subject before it just becomes repetitive,maybe the fault is with me for not being as "clued up" as others on this matter,but yes I must agree a LOT of the posting that went on in the "off topic" section was utter TOSH,how this can be rectified I don't know,but for those who's life is just fragrances then all I can say is you really must get out more,and that is genuinely meant.I hope this does not get taken down as I am NOT trying to insult anybody.
    Au revoir everybody.

Even if the poll confirmed the wish to bring back off topic (and recent experience leads me to believe that the majority of the thousands of regular members would not be in favour at this time) it is not possible to run that board with current resources and plans.

I am sorry that this upsetting to some of the members who have voiced their opinion here, but I hope we will see an improvement in the site and the quality of the discourse as a result.

There is lots of fun, social interaction and interesting discussion to be had without us becoming Facebook with a bit of a nod to perfume - which is how one member described it to me :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Admin are currently working their socks off trying to produce a better site for us all.

My private thoughts as a member here include wondering whether our collective energies might be better directed in trying to achieve that together.

I do see both sides.

Post Thanks / Like

I really didn't intend for my original question to escalate into such a controversy. I can see both sides but still, I'm very disappointed. I just want to say it was quite enjoyable getting to know a few of you in the former OT threads! Hednic, Tony, Sam, Kalli and the rest of you, I had a great time and I'll miss you!

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea that was proposed above to have one thread for OT chat is a very good one. Put one in MFD and FFD and sticky them.

For those that want to chat and have meaningful social interaction, I think this would meet most of their needs. Yet it wouldn't allow for multiple threads that generate hundreds of relatively meaningless posts every day.

Kalli, JiveHippo and others - would this be a workable compromise?

I don't know if I'm representative of the anti-OTs in general, but I would support it.
    Last edited by rubegon; 31st October 2013 at 04:52 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rubegon, ya, I mean, at least it would be something!!!! I kinda was thinking that too, as a compromise.

I hate Facebook btw, can't stand it! lol. And don't see it that way at all.

Beachgirl, if you didn't start this thread, someone else would have for sure. No worries!.
    Last edited by kalli; 31st October 2013 at 03:29 PM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I hate Facebook btw, can't stand it! lol. And don't see it that way at all.
    You're not the only one. I'm on there, but now only use it for fragrance groups and getting the latest news on fragrance-related stuff. I'm "friends" with Andy Tauer, Christopher Chong, and Chris Brosius!

I almost never post stuff publicly on my wall and rarely check my feed to see what other people are posting.

You might want to consider making a dummy FB profile with a disposable email address just to join fragrance groups. Just don't put any personal info into it. There are some good FB groups for splits and all kinds of discussion groups too. I know many people that have done that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see BN turning into Facebook with al little bit about perfumes by bringing an off topic thread back.

This is ridiculous.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's an idea-- see what you think.

What if each major board (JSO, MFD, FFD) had one off-topic thread-- only one-- for off topic posts?

It would give us a place to ask about things that have nothing to do with fragrance-- like, "Does anyone have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe?" (I do, by the way) Or, "This made me laugh today", or "So and So died." Whatever. No games, just chat.

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Walton View Post
    I will say this finally and then I shall leave for good,I have been a member of Basenotes since 2007,but just recently got back to posting on it.
    Yes, first and foremost it is a fragrance site for people to talk about fragrances,but frankly HOW MUCH can one possibly say on this subject before it just becomes repetitive,maybe the fault is with me for not being as "clued up" as others on this matter,but yes I must agree a LOT of the posting that went on in the "off topic" section was utter TOSH,how this can be rectified I don't know,but for those who's life is just fragrances then all I can say is you really must get out more,and that is genuinely meant.I hope this does not get taken down as I am NOT trying to insult anybody.
    Au revoir everybody.
    Sam - I don't see your post as insulting, but I certainly don't agree with how you see this.

I don't know of anyone who spends large amounts of time on BN and that is always posting about fragrance. Consider all of the highest frequency posters on the old huddler site, and they were all apparently hanging out in OT for many hours a day.

I do have a very busy life outside fragrance - young kids, stressful job, travel. I come to BN when I make some time to pursue this interest to unwind. If what I find is a poorly functioning site whose focus seems to be general chat, it doesn't serve my needs. This is meant to be a fragrance site, so shouldn't the priority be to make it the best one it can be?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an idea-- see what you think.

What if each major board (JSO, MFD, FFD) had one off-topic thread-- only one-- for off topic posts?

It would give us a place to ask about things that have nothing to do with fragrance-- like, "Does anyone have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe?" (I do, by the way) Or, "This made me laugh today", or "So and So died." Whatever. No games, just chat.
    I suggested the same up in post #71, but someone recommended a similar idea further upthread. I think that's the way to go.

I see you put the webcam link in your sig. Cool! That's a good way to get it out there.

Also, being back on the old platform we have Visitor Messages again on our profiles. Those are a nice way to have semi-public OT chat with other members. I'm glad to see that feature come back. I guess we kind of had them on Huddler, but I never saw anyone using them.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope someday Off Topic can come back in a way that doesn't over-tax the mods. Also, I would be in favor of posts in Off Topic not adding to our post counts (to prevent someone new from using O.T. to up their post count rapidly just so they could sell on the BN Marketplace.).
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the OT boards anymore but if people want them, ^^^^ this seems a reasonable way to bring them back.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

I just started to like the OT and now it's gone. Not nice.

Fans of OT should start threads in the regular forums and drive the moderators crazy!

Let's go, Hednic!

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    Fans of OT should start threads in the regular forums and drive the moderators crazy!
    Cheers. Thanks very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Deadidol!

At least there could be something like an OT-Archive with all the old threads. I didn't post there a lot but I hate it when posts get deleted.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by TLS; 31st October 2013 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are pretty wide opportunities for getting to know other members in "regular" posts in the fragrance subforums, provided there is a discussion going on and not simply a list of items or a single worded sentence! I personally don't care about the removal of Off Topic, even if I appreciated the more "cultural" threads- Your top 5 writers was my favourite, one can tell a lot about somebody from their tastes in literature, and have nice ideas.

Inviato da mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

30 R/Rubegon, I think that's a good idea, one thread for each. Or just one thread, I don't care! Maybe men want that cookie recipe too! LOL. But I think Off Topic for each of us, MDF/FDF sounds good? I think it's a good compromise, whatcha all think? No more of the games or whatever that can I guess up post count and take a lot of space? And not adding to our post count if posting on OT?
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Girl View Post
    I really didn't intend for my original question to escalate into such a controversy. I can see both sides but still, I'm very disappointed. I just want to say it was quite enjoyable getting to know a few of you in the former OT threads! Hednic, Tony, Sam, Kalli and the rest of you, I had a great time and I'll miss you!
    We are not closing Basenotes or banning you guys from communicating! No need to miss anyone or feel that you won't be able to get to know each other, just there maybe not so much about what you had in your sandwiches ;-)

I like the idea of one or two off-topic threads in other boards, but it isn't going to happen right now as we all have lots to focus on in terms of making this the best fragrance site it can be.

Unfortunately the loss of off-topic is a case of the vocal few making it difficult for us to provide the service for the moderate and pleasant majority. It is a shame, I have said it may not be permanent and I certainly like the idea of a thread or two. However, based on recent history and the grateful feedback I have from members who are pleased with the return to our original purpose there won't be any off-topic provision in 2013.

EDIT: I just wanted to say Beachgirl, that your question was a perfectly valid one! We want to create an environment where everyone can respectfully speak their mind and ask questions with the expectation of a polite and open discussion in answer.
    Last edited by DanielleCooper; 31st October 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be okay to have social groups to discuss sandwiches or movies?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 31st October 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I just started a group called "Every 4 Minutes Look to Your Left and Post what you See." Everyone is welcome to join.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I just started a group called "Every 4 Minutes Look to Your Left and Post what you See." Everyone is welcome to join.

I'm afraid I'd be posting about my sleeping cat over and over.....and over....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    LOL - point well taken. We do have groups that discuss things as non-specific as Texas, LGBT, etc.

I have initiated some discussion among the admins and mods, of the idea of somehow using a group for general OT. There are potential problems with the idea, in that bits are bits, so that unless there are fundamental differences in the situation that would guarantee it would work, we have to presume that it might be problematic in the same ways as Off Topic. But I would like to see the idea considered along with the others, even if not for any immediate action.

I sense a direction scandal brewing.

I'm afraid I'd be posting about my sleeping cat over and over.....and over....
    My TV is to my left.

Weather Channel.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Red. It's good to be "home" but it's a home without a rec room.

Post Thanks / Like

If mods were paid positions, or if forum software didn't allow for user level automatic and simple opting in/out for certain forums to display, including in most recent posts on a landing page, this might be an issue that needed such a drastic measure. As such, it is removing something instead of fixing it. It is somewhat unfathomable that a discussion board made a change because it felt there was too much site traffic and too much discussion going on. I would think most websites make money from clicks and page views, so I would think removing the more popular areas would be bad from a business sense. Guess not.

The off topic board was maintained by the original team of mods for as long as I can remember. We've just added 5 or 6 new mods, and now it's become too much to handle? That doesn't add up to me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my little thought- change is good .Sometimes it sure doesn't feel good but it is for the best- in the long run. As I am in for the long run, I support changes that have occurred .
    I love the refocus back on scent even though I thought off topic was a good 'chill out' area - it did become a bit of a monster.
    Anyway , it's all refreshing.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that we have almost 100 posts on why there should/shouldn't be an OT forum. Since we're talking a lot on this "non-fragrance" issue, it's funny that we don't have an OT forum to discuss it in. We just discuss it here instead.

Is this the kind of thing we were trying to get away from by ending the OT forum?
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 1st November 2013 at 05:42 AM.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Batucada, Balle de Match) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-L-Artisan-PdN

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Vetiver 1948, Selection Verte, Bois de Santal, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Chanel, L'Artisan, Parfums de Nicolai) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Just my little thought- change is good .Sometimes it sure doesn't feel good but it is for the best- in the long run. As I am in for the long run, I support changes that have occurred .
    I love the refocus back on scent even though I thought off topic was a good 'chill out' area - it did become a bit of a monster.
    Anyway , it's all refreshing.
    What I'm hoping is that - maybe - just maybe - we can become more "chatty", personal, revealing, and interestingly "off-topic" in our fragrance posting. THAT would, in fact, be a lot more like Facebook fragrance sites. I found it very interesting that most of them not only don't have off-topic areas - most people seem to have no desire to really create them. But for those times when we do feel like talking about nothing even remotely like fragrance, maybe we can have the old BN chatroom back. That was kind of fun, even though I mostly lurked, unless I was really interested in something.

I am not tying to be an unpleasant minority..it's all good, carry on then It's your site

Perhaps I spend too much time on BN anyway...as a result I really do have too much perfume, yes I said it, too much!!! LOL!! I should be banned just for sayin that! Too much perfume!
    Last edited by kalli; 1st November 2013 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I am not tying to be an unpleasant minority..it's all good, carry on then It's your site

Perhaps I spend too much time on BN anyway...as a result I really do have too much perfume, yes I said it, too much!!! LOL!! I should be banned just for sayin that! Too much perfume!
    That's my attitude, too - let the management decide. One of the easiest forms of moderation has always been "put it in Off Topic" - and if that becomes highly desirable, it's just reality teaching you to revisit the decision.

I have to admit that I am interested in the idea of a group. I would not mind setting up a group called "Red's Bar and Grill", with basically no rules except act like adults and leave if you don't like it - and then walking away from it. The main problem with groups is that they don't seem to have like and dislike buttons, and I think those are highly useful for self-moderation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BN has a list of groups already. Some have fallen asleep like the "Francophones". New groups could be founded, with Management's permission of course, and then "like spirits" could congregate there.

Or, gather more responses on the Personal Blog Article space. Reach out there, and "like spirits" may come. Then the responsibility of moderating stays with the Blog Article author.

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    If mods were paid positions, or if forum software didn't allow for user level automatic and simple opting in/out for certain forums to display, including in most recent posts on a landing page, this might be an issue that needed such a drastic measure. As such, it is removing something instead of fixing it. It is somewhat unfathomable that a discussion board made a change because it felt there was too much site traffic and too much discussion going on. I would think most websites make money from clicks and page views, so I would think removing the more popular areas would be bad from a business sense. Guess not.
    Trust me - I've spent the best part of a decade persuading Grant to turn this into a huge, advert splattered, any traffic counts money maker. Now, confound it all, he has infected me with his enthusiasm for making the site a good, solid, escape for fume heads.

My historic best efforts include trying to persuade him that the quality of conversation doesn't matter as long as we get the footfall. I think that is why he gave me this job for my latest role...

Now I see what he has been trying to do all these years. I don't always agree with the decisions made, but I respect the process behind them. Sadly the process behind them is never "now, how I can increase ad revenue or page views this month". Bloomin' hippy.

So anyway, I love the conversation happening. Contrary to the earlier comment, this is very on topic for the forum! It is always good to thrash these things out. We don't work in a vacuum. No off-topic changes to the boards will be made in 2013, but anything that does not require moderation and is the responsibility of individual members may work. I'll post more later.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

GMTA. I just started one called BirdS, BearS and BullS - For basenoters who enjoy watching wildlife on live cams and whatevah.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a bit elitist to me.
    Can't we have a group where everyone can post without feeling intimidated ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    The off topic board was maintained by the original team of mods for as long as I can remember. We've just added 5 or 6 new mods, and now it's become too much to handle? That doesn't add up to me.

My old friend JiveHippo !

Where have you been Martini? I thought perhaps you had drowned yourself in a pool of Aventus.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to make an OT-Archive, so that nothing can be added anymore but the data wouldn't be gone?

I feel terribly sorry for all the people (you know the names) who posted there a lot! As trivial as the content in the OT-Forum is, but deleting everything is a bit like burning books!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I suggest that the name of who Objects ought to be shown - like the Like is shown. For the record: Ursula objects to this post.

You have a strange sense humor. Is that the reason that Moderators are overworked, and justifiably don't want that kind of deletion work anymore?.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    Trust me - I've spent the best part of a decade persuading Grant to turn this into a huge, advert splattered, any traffic counts money maker. Now, confound it all, he has infected me with his enthusiasm for making the site a good, solid, escape for fume heads.

My historic best efforts include trying to persuade him that the quality of conversation doesn't matter as long as we get the footfall. I think that is why he gave me this job for my latest role...

Now I see what he has been trying to do all these years. I don't always agree with the decisions made, but I respect the process behind them. Sadly the process behind them is never "now, how I can increase ad revenue or page views this month". Bloomin' hippy.

So anyway, I love the conversation happening. Contrary to the earlier comment, this is very on topic for the forum! It is always good to thrash these things out. We don't work in a vacuum. No off-topic changes to the boards will be made in 2013, but anything that does not require moderation and is the responsibility of individual members may work. I'll post more later.
    Well, it seems a bit strange, is all. I mean, if we were members of a motorcycle club, we could meet up for rides, help each other do upgrades and repairs, talk about new parts and new models, but then be told that we can't do these get-togethers over a meal or a few drinks, that it has to be restricted to the subject and venue of motorcycles. Or if this were fashion, we could gather at the mall and shop, but are forbidden from entering the cellular shops or stop by the food court.

Of course we can't actually eat and drink together, but these things can still be discussed. Not being able to discuss these things is a bit more of a test of will when on-topic includes rum and fruit accords, or how "delicious" a gourmand smells. Beyond that, if fume heads are to be encouraged to congregate, they might develop friendships, and those friendships might warrant announcements of marriage, birth, death, new jobs, new homes, and the rest of life that gets in the way.

To say that there are other places to discuss these things is true. It's a big internet. And yes, everything can be discussed elsewhere. Including fragrance. There are other boards, blogs, FB groups, YT vids, etc. The appeal of community is generally stronger than the appeal of a single subject.

And to seek revenue doesn't have to simply be for greed. If there is any desire to expand the discussion of fragrance, or to offer improved software to facilitate discussion, to store shared knowledge, this all might cost a bit. And rack space probably isn't getting cheaper year over year. If it cost a little more money to make a few more friends, or to help out a few more businesses one wished to support, some advertising revenue doesn't seem a heinous thing.

But I do not know what the owner's idea of improvement is, no snark. All I feel fairly certain of is that the only improvement that matters is from the perspective of the customer. Too often a "thing" can be improved in a multitude of ways, but if none of them mattered to the people consuming the thing, then it withered. It is usually not possible to change the needs of people, just the ways to satisfy them.

Hopefully it all goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest that the name of who Objects ought to be shown - like the Like is shown. For the record: Ursula objects to this post.

You have a strange sense humor. Is that the reason that Moderators are overworked, and justifiably don't want that kind of deletion work anymore?.
    Why do you object, Ursula, and what do you find so strange?

And no, Ursula, I've never had many problems with any moderators, did you?

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

@maricle - have you ever checked out the SOTD thread in the Female Fragrance Discussion Board?
    It's a thread where both sexes discuss all sorts of things together around their daily fix!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ....But for those times when we do feel like talking about nothing even remotely like fragrance, maybe we can have the old BN chatroom back. That was kind of fun, even though I mostly lurked, unless I was really interested in something.

Red if low traffic, low utilization and minimal bandwidth usage is the goal the previously rarely used Chat Room revival would fill the bill. I thought it to be a disaster as far as use by the membership. The few dozen times I entered the Chat Room more often than not I was alone there. Seems posting a thread or a reply is the way the vast majority of past users prefered to communicate about fragrances or other topics.

I personally feel deleting the Off Topic Board outright was a mistake, certainly not of the magnitude of several other mistakes I noted over the years in certain ventures that fully deserved to be stopped or deleted (and were) but a mistake of removal of a thing of value.. I look forward to it being a temporary mistake, one that is recognized as such and is reversed in a way consistent with both the owner(s') goals and participating members' desires. I could be wrong but based on what I have read so far on the several threads about Off Topic, having some sort of non-specific rec-room on Basenotes enjoys a significant percent of board-active members in favor of having just that. Fortunately for Basenotes it isn't a deal breaker for most members who did enjoy Off Topic but rather I suspect there will be a lingering feeling of loss of something of value, many having grown to like and expect the OT Board to continue to be available for their enjoyment.
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd November 2013 at 04:28 AM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is set in stone. If this doesn't prove to create the kind of change the powers that be envisioned, they can try something else next year. I'm just happy that I have access to a directory I can use to look things up by note(s) or the name of the fragrance again.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to complain (much) that the Off Topic board is gone, but I will say that I was entertained by the adorable animal photos, the vintage cartoons, the clever limericks, and the snarky pet peeves thread. My BF and I used to prop up my iPad at the dinner table and watch the videos or read the limericks. Yes, we are not high-maintenance, but Basenotes did provide us with ample entertainment when we got bored with Netflix. I'd still like to know where Slumberhoused and friends ended up for their annual Halloween vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add that having a thread in each board for OT makes a good compromise. I can see both sides of this and I have been sad that the number of new posts has diminished. I'd guess that some people haven't know how to get back in and just threw up their hands and didn't bother to figure it out. Having to make a new password and the like was somewhat cumbersome. At any rate, I hope it all picks back up again too.

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss the OT forum and have enjoyed the games and camaraderie with my fellow BNers, but I totally understand where the moderators are coming from and appreciate their desires to return this site to its primary focus== fragrance discussion. I do think I will probably spend less time on here, but that's not really a bad thing.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Please see Danielle's post today here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...33#post2986133

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The site was better with the OT section

Post Thanks / Like

lolololololololol
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    The site was better with the OT section

Potato!

Post Thanks / Like

While I was a big fan of OT I totally understand Grant & Danielle's dilemma that first and foremost on this site should be the purity of fragrance talk speak and the wholesome interaction of the members in reviewing and educating others about this hobby. I personally have learned a great deal on this site and it has been a invaluable tool to experience the fragrance world. However, I do see a lot of advantages of having a speakeasy thread perhaps just to get miscellaneous things off your chest while there is a lull in any earth shaking news in the industry in general. I am hopeful that in the not to distant future a revised version could be reinstated that wouldn't have the moderators over taxed in critiquing and keeping members on track and would add to the overall well being of this great community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, the people who want to chat are already congregating on the Scent of the Day thread. Chat we will, chat we must. You can't keep a good speaker down ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, the people who want to chat are already congregating on the Scent of the Day thread.
    Yes, & l actually like it better this way.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Silly me ... I somehow thought that knowing me as shadesofbleu, Shannon, sports enthusiast, cobalt blue glass collector, rock music fan, Jayhawk obsessed, Mustang owner, dog-crazy, 9-0 Chiefs fanatic, diet Pepsi junkie, osprey watcher, health-care worker, perfume lover made my perfume posts that much more personal and interesting.

Guess it's just shadesofbleu, perfume lover from now on?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    While I was a big fan of OT I totally understand Grant & Danielle's dilemma that first and foremost on this site should be the purity of fragrance talk speak and the wholesome interaction of the members in reviewing and educating others about this hobby. I personally have learned a great deal on this site and it has been a invaluable tool to experience the fragrance world. However, I do see a lot of advantages of having a speakeasy thread perhaps just to get miscellaneous things off your chest while there is a lull in any earth shaking news in the industry in general. I am hopeful that in the not to distant future a revised version could be reinstated that wouldn't have the moderators over taxed in critiquing and keeping members on track and would add to the overall well being of this great community.
    I love this post. It sums it up perfectly.

Edit: Just seen SOTD on FFD. Love it :-) So friendly, warm and chatty. Much better to have that vibe in the SOTD threads than posting one word answers in there and then going to off-topic to talk about your plans for the day. We are not going to come and delete every reference to your lives outside of perfume! We just ask that fragrance be the focus of discussion. This thread is so lovely today. (I know it is most days, but am commenting in light of the above comments about people going off-topic in there).
    Last edited by DanielleCooper; 5th November 2013 at 03:13 PM.