Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic

Default Off Topic

Is "Off Topic" going to be reinstated? Thanks.

Default Re: Off Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Girl View Post
    Is "Off Topic" going to be reinstated? Thanks.
    From Danielle's post in Forum News and Announcements:

"We are bringing the community back to its original purpose - the discussion of fragrance. Therefore you may notice a few changes on the boards, for example the absence of off-topic. We were and are primarily a site for the discussion of the fragrance industry. This is such a wide and fascinating area, we would like to concentrate solely on this."
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

This question was asked yesterday in this thread
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...fourms-removed

No off topic?

Meh..............................................o k. That's pretty silly. It probably just clogs the site more? Which can make it slower? Silly. No off topic? Silly. Really don't like that....not liking this move at all so far.
    Last edited by kalli; 30th October 2013 at 02:11 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I just don't understand why did you wipe off-topic?

Every forum in existence has an 'off topic' section, one way or another.

Even schools have activities and it's not all about academics.
    Your move does not make sense at all.

Two big thumbs down. Sorry.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Agree, +1
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Ok, Thanks Hednic and lpp, I was afraid of that. Too bad, I really enjoyed the camaraderie there.

Me too. Please bring it back.

Probably won't be spending as much time here.
    Last edited by kalli; 30th October 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Not a fan of the removal of Off-Topic as well. Every forum I joined in has OT section, and I don't get why BN would be different. Is it really overloading the site? I have something else in my mind -- an observation -- but I prefer not to say it.

Hoping for the return of the Off-Topic board.

This is the WORST decision possible to drop the "off topic",what is going on.?
    It's the most tragic thing to happen since "sticky the stick insect got stuck on a stickie bun".And that my friends was tragic.
    Last edited by Sam Walton; 30th October 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Guerlainista

I don't want to argue this point really, but just wish to make it clear that we don't all feel the same way.

I for one am happy to see OT go. The growth in traffic on off topic recently has overwhelmed fragrance discussion. I don't know if other forums that have OT have this problem, but for me it has diminished BN greatly in the past year.

I would often scan the "recent posts" and have to scroll down through 15-20 posts before I find one that says anything interesting about fragrance. That kills the flow of the forum, and drives away people that actually want to read about and discuss perfume. I know some will miss it and may spend more time elsewhere, but I for one see the elimination of OT as a move that will cause me to want to spend more time here.

I was beginning to lose interest in this place as a forum for fragrance-related discussion, but this is a move in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by rubegon; 30th October 2013 at 06:21 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll echo what others have said here. Really disappointed to see the ot go. Although some of the threads in that section were a bit futile, It's nice to see what other kinds of art our Basenotes friends are enjoying ie movies, music etc. Bring it back please!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Lie don't want to argue this point really, but just wish to make it clear that we don't all feel the same way.

I for one am happy to see OT go. The growth in traffic on off topic recently has overwhelmed fragrance discussion. I don't know if other forums that have OT have this problem, but for me it has diminished BN greatly in the past year.

I would often scan the "recent posts" and have to scroll down through 15-20 posts before I find one that says anything interesting about fragrance. That kills the flow of the forum, and drives away people that actually want to read about and discuss perfume. I know some will miss it and may spend more time elsewhere, but I for one see the elimination of OT as a move that will cause me to want to spenid more time here.

I was beginning to lose interest in this place as a forum for fragrance-related discussion, but this is a move in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
    If you click on a specific forum, any recent post pushes the thread to the top. Furthermore, I'm sure there's a way they could make the recent posts button scan only the fragrance related forums. I don't think completely removing a board that many people here enjoyed was the only option. Like I said above, sometimes it's nice to discuss things other than fragrance once in a while.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 30th October 2013 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    ...I'm sure there's a way they could make the recent posts button scan only the fragrance related forums.
    I think this is very likely to be true. I know it's possible to set indexing on a per-forum basis.

I personally don't mind the elimination of OT forum, but it is clearly popular and if the main objection is the interference with the recent posts listings, I think it's worth looking into.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

This is a decision taken for reasons mentioned by Rubegon above. The off-topic was taking up a lot of time, was nothing to do with the purpose of the site and was diluting the impact of this unique hobbyist's/obsessive's(!) haven. We love fragrance. That's it.

There are forums for movies, music, cooking... the web isn't the same as it was in Basenotes early days when there were very few online communities. There are other places to discuss other hobbies and interests - this will be where people come for their fragrance fix.

Who knows if off-topic is permanently gone? This little corner of the internet is constantly evolving and changing. But for now we are focusing on fragrance.
    Last edited by DanielleCooper; 30th October 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleCooper View Post
    There are forums for movies, music, cooking... the web isn't the same as it was in Basenotes early days when there were very few online communities. There are other places to discuss other hobbies and interests - this will be where people come for their fragrance fix.
    That's exactly right. We all have countless outlets for social media interaction - other forums, facebook, twitter, etc. I liked coming to Basenotes when I joined because it's a place that lets me explore my interest in fragrance. There will always be some off topic chat in the fragrance threads anyway - SotD threads are much more about social interaction that deep discussion about fragrance. But it's still relevant.

When a fragrance forum becomes 95% chat about sports, movies, food, jokes, etc. it stops being a good outlet for me to discuss fragrance. And I 'm not alone.

Many long time members have lamented the departure of others - former posters that elevated the level of discussion about fragrance helped us relative newbies learn. If Basenotes continues to lose those people it will become a general discussion forum where some members happen to post their SotD or what perfume they bought today, and that's not much else.

Basenotes is going niche, and that's perfectly fine with me.

This is a decision taken for reasons mentioned by Rubegon above. The off-topic was taking up a lot of time, was nothing to do with the purpose of the site and was diluting the impact of this unique hobbyist's/obsessive's(!) haven. We love fragrance. That's it.

Who knows if off-topic is permanently gone? This little corner of the internet is constantly evolving and changing. But for now we are focusing on fragrance.
    I applaud the change in focus. I personally think it was a gutsy move, but a correct and necessary one.
    Last edited by hednic; 30th October 2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I applaud the change in focus. I personally think it was a gutsy move, but a correct and necessary one.
    hednic,you absolutely amaze me,you as far as I can see were one of the biggest contributers to the "off topic" thread,how you can say "it was a correct and necessary move" to cease it is honestly beyond me.I don't understand your logic at all.?
    Last edited by Sam Walton; 30th October 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Go and join another forum, that's the solution? If I want to see what movies, music etc my basenotes friends are watching/listening to, I have to organize a mass exodus to various other online forums? I don't see the problem in having a few off topic threads hidden away somewhere in the forum. We have the fashion, beauty, and grooming boards, what do they have to do with fragrance?

@hednic: a necessary move? You posted there more than anyone with your incessant need to post every morsel of food or drink that goes into your mouth, or every song that came on Sirius radio! Fluff posts that only served to raise your post count.

Edit: agree with Sam Walton. (Yes Sam, it's a first)
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 30th October 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I agree. There are so many places on the internet to go off on tangents; it shows good taste and focus that BN would direct that type of thing elsewhere. Bravo.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Last edited by Tristram; 4th November 2013 at 09:26 PM.

I would just like to clarify that no individual member is behind any move we make, ever. Basenotes has never positioned itself to compete or imitate where social networking is concerned. It is not even what I would call a shift in focus - just reaffirming what the focus was always intended to be.

I understand that with any change there will be those for and against, and I empathise with those currently feeling the loss of off-topic, I really do. Every time I go through a system update on my mobile phone I could cry... But I always get my head round the changes and then can't even remember what the last operating system was like.

Frankly off-topic was a lot of effort without being remotely connected to our raison d'ŕtre. We need to focus on doing fragrance as well as possible before we worry about the extraneous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Walton View Post
    hednic,you absolutely amaze me,you as far as I can see you were one of the biggest contributers to the "off topic" thread,how you can say "it was a correct and necessary move" to cease it is honestly beyond me.I don't understand your logic at all.?
    Maybe he's finally acknowledging that it's okay to just step away from the computer once in a while.

Seriously, I enjoyed some of the OT threads myself and would often try to engage others, but even within those few threads most of the meaningful content was being quickly buried by trash posts clearly intended to boost post-count. I was actually about to give up on OT, so I agree that it's a good decision whose time has come.

Keep a journal if you need to keep track of everything you're eating/thinking/doing minute-by-minute, 24-7 ...or get a Twitter account. This is not the sort of info that needs constant sharing and updating.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I've been on enough boards where the moderators/admins spend more time handling "the off-topic, anything goes forum" than anything else, and it becomes a time sink. I've no problem with removing an OT forum.

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    I've been on enough boards where the moderators/admins spend more time handling "the off-topic, anything goes forum" than anything else, and it becomes a time sink. I've no problem with removing an OT forum.
    The stories I could tell...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Guerlainista

Granted, I could just ignore the OT forums, and I generally did. However, the enormous amount of traffic they generated has secondary effects.

Danielle points out a big one - the fact that our mods have to spend most of their time policing the vast numbers of OT posts. Mods volunteer their time, presumably because they love fragrance and want to help this be a better place to discuss it. But their time is a limited resource. Insufficient moderation resources has been a issue for BN in the past and has been a factor in many important members leaving the site for good.

I think we have a great team of mods in place now and - more importantly - enough of them. Let's not waste most of their precious time on this site policing chatter that is completely irrelevant to fragrance. I'm sure most of the mods were spending a large majority of their time scanning the constant torrent of OT posts.

I get that people want to discuss other interests, but that has it's downsides as well. What we have in common is fragrance. Discussion of OT interests and ideas can get ugly when we run into people that have very different values and beliefs. I think anyone who has spent some time in the OT threads knows it can get ugly, and does with some regularity. I'll be happy to see that stuff go elsewhere.

image.jpg
    Not one thread pertaining to fragrance. There are hundreds of fashion forums where these topics can be discussed. Are these boards also going to be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Walton View Post
    hednic,you absolutely amaze me,you as far as I can see were one of the biggest contributers to the "off topic" thread,how you can say "it was a correct and necessary move" to cease it is honestly beyond me.I don't understand your logic at all.?
    +100

- - - Updated - - -

@hednic: a necessary move? You posted there more than anyone with your incessant need to post every morsel of food or drink that goes into your mouth, or every song that came on Sirius radio! Fluff posts that only served to raise your post count.
    +1000

Guerlainista

Not one thread pertaining to fragrance. There are hundreds of fashion forums where these topics can be discussed. Are these boards also going to be removed?
    Read the posts above - this is not the issue. The fashion forum has very low traffic. You want a screen shot? Take a look at this:

Clip_3.jpg

The same screen shot when the OT forum was active would often show literally 18 out of 20 posts in the OT forum.

image.jpg
    Just want to comment on this as I can understand the confusion. The decision was taken to keep these boards because fashion, cosmetics and grooming have huge cross overs with fragrance - same houses, complimentary products (lotions, shower gels etc), models, ad campaigns etc. Off-topic did not have this overlap.

Just want to comment on this as I can understand the confusion. The decision was taken to keep these boards because fashion, cosmetics and grooming have huge cross overs with fragrance - same houses, complimentary products (lotions, shower gels etc), models, ad campaigns etc. Off-topic did not have this overlap.

I haven't been on here in a long time, but am sad to see Off-topic go. I believe offering members a chance to discuss other topics is actually a good way to keep them interested in coming back and to get to know each other on a more personal level. I don't see how that would overshadow the "true meaning" of Basenotes, as there's a large number of sub-forums all related to fragrance and nothing but fragrance. The fact that it's time-consuming to maintain such threads makes sense, but perhaps its value has been misjudged.

What makes me sad most of all, though, is the fact that the "Guess the Fragrance by the Picture"- game threads are now permanently gone, which brought a large group of members together to create challenging, fun and intelligent puzzles based on fragrance names. Quite disappointing as the "father" of said game, even if it hadn't been active for some time.

Just my two cents.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

@rubegon: So if traffic to those forums increases, you're in favor of shutting them down? I listed ways to avoid clogging up the new post search in post 12.

@Danielle: Fair enough, thanks for clarifying that.

Perhaps the solution is to have an off topic thread. One single thread where members can post the latest album/movie/tv show they really enjoyed, what they're eating/drinking, or anything else they feel like talking about. Just a thought.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 30th October 2013 at 10:25 PM.

If it's a community you're after, it's difficult to maintain that with a single interest. You have to understand what makes other people tick to understand where they're coming from with fragrance too. One of the things that distinguishes many fragrance lovers is that they're not really nerds but fairly well-rounded aesthetes. If you only see the one side of people, you might as well all be nerds.

Basenotes Plus

If people really have a need for an off-topic haven, couldn't they just start a group for that purpose or is there a rule against that?

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    I haven't been on here in a long time, but am sad to see Off-topic go. I believe offering members a chance to discuss other topics is actually a good way to keep them interested in coming back and to get to know each other on a more personal level. I don't see how that would overshadow the "true meaning" of Basenotes, as there's a large number of sub-forums all related to fragrance and nothing but fragrance. The fact that it's time-consuming to maintain such threads makes sense, but perhaps its value has been misjudged.

What makes me sad most of all, though, is the fact that the "Guess the Fragrance by the Picture"- game threads are now permanently gone, which brought a large group of members together to create challenging, fun and intelligent puzzles based on fragrance names. Quite disappointing as the "father" of said game, even if it hadn't been active for some time.

Just my two cents.
    I think there are threads in OT that are worth saving, as they are (sort of) fragrance related. The "Guess the Fragrance" sounds like one of those. I brought the "You know you are a Basenoter when" -thread over to the General Fragrance forum before we moved, and I leafed through pages and pages in OT looking for other threads that might be relevant to keep but didn't see that one.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

I just thought the off topic section made basenotes just that little bit friendlier. A place where you could just take a breather away from fragrance discussion. But with all the changes back and forth I would not be surprised if it comes back in the same form or another.

The first and last comment I'll make on this:

1) I don't think anybody posted in Off-Topic just to "up their post count." What the hell does that even mean and who cares and why would you ever care about how many posts somebody has?

2) I got to know a few basenoters and their idiosyncrasies via Off-Topic and it was fun. I especially liked perusing the inane pet peeves thread and seeing that lpp had a sense of humor when she posted a joke in the joke thread (it was funny too). Off-Topic is helpful in that it humanizes us outside of fragrances. It made my connection to basenotes more human as well.

3) I guess it depends on how you choose to navigate the site, but Off-Topic never got in the way for me. In fact I didn't even realize it existed till fairly recently.

4) It was a great way to kill time and socialize a little bit while waiting for new threads to pop up in the "fragrance-related" forums. Or while waiting for a reply to a thread you posted.

5) I understand why it could be taxing for the mods, and if that's the case, I see why your energy should not be sapped by one forum unrelated to basenotes' original purpose. But actually, I think Off-Topic was a more friendly, more civil, and more relaxing forum than others, especially the Male Fragrance Discussion Forum, DIY forum, and several others. I rarely recall it getting ugly in there.

6) To simply delete it without any warning was a slap in the face to members who posted there, and understandably so, it probably feels a bit personal to some. Just because YOU didn't like it, doesn't mean others didn't. I think this is really why people are pissed off. It's like, "Who cares about what you enjoyed, this is what we want, and SURPRISE! We just erased your favorite little forum, now deal with it."

7) If you really want to rule out the possibility of "X," just make it so posts in Off-Topic don't count toward one's actual post count. Problem solved.

8) I'll miss it. Hopefully it will return, but I doubt it. It's been fun chatting with you off-topickers. See you elsewhere!

image.jpg
    Well said JiveHippo, oops,hang on a minute,what am I saying that's me at the top!!! But I agree that some posters were going completely overboard,one of the main culprits hasn't even put in an appearance here.Anyway,au revoir (hopefully),Nic (I got it,),Beach Girl and to everyone else it was nice knowing you.Watch out for those "darn pesky" tornadoes Debbie.
    Cheerio.
    Sam Walton. (and yes, that is my real name)

Now for the REAL IMPORTANT STUFF, hands up all those who thought Spock had funny ears.
    Last edited by Sam Walton; 30th October 2013 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I think this is really why people are pissed off. It's like, "Who cares about what you enjoyed, this is what we want, and SURPRISE! We just erased your favorite little forum, now deal with it."
    Exactly. And this is really what ticked me and disappointed me that such moderation practices exist in Basenotes. I felt like living in a communist environment.

As an artist in specific and human being in general, this communist type of practice crosses the line for me and sends my 'bad side' to the front.

I think i rather stop typing here, because what might comes out next is ugly.

Thumbs down, again....

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Exactly. And this is really what ticked me and disappointed me that such moderation practices exist in Basenotes. I felt like living in a communist environment.

As an artist in specific and human being in general, this communist type of practice crosses the line for me and sends my 'bad side' to the front.

I think i rather stop typing here, because what might comes out next is ugly.

Thumbs down, again....

Sent from Galaxy Note 3
    Firstly, this is not a moderating decision as mentioned above. This is a decision taken by Grant and myself. It is a decision based on an incredibly high volume of complaints and what we felt to be a dilution of our original aim.

I understand people's frustrations, but we are running a business. If we simply cannot accommodate a feature because we do not have the time or resources, or we feel it is destracting from the purpose of the business we will have to tweak and change.

Off-topic may return, though not in the near future. However, if it does, it will only do so when we have concentrated on stabilising the site after all the recent ups and downs and tightening up the forums that the site exists for.

1) I don't think anybody posted in Off-Topic just to "up their post count." What the hell does that even mean and who cares and why would you ever care about how many posts somebody has?

2) I got to know a few basenoters and their idiosyncrasies via Off-Topic and it was fun. I especially liked perusing the inane pet peeves thread and seeing that lpp had a sense of humor when she posted a joke in the joke thread (it was funny too). Off-Topic is helpful in that it humanizes us outside of fragrances. It made my connection to basenotes more human as well.

3) I guess it depends on how you choose to navigate the site, but Off-Topic never got in the way for me. In fact I didn't even realize it existed till fairly recently.

4) It was a great way to kill time and socialize a little bit while waiting for new threads to pop up in the "fragrance-related" forums. Or while waiting for a reply to a thread you posted.

5) I understand why it could be taxing for the mods, and if that's the case, I see why your energy should not be sapped by one forum unrelated to basenotes' original purpose. But actually, I think Off-Topic was a more friendly, more civil, and more relaxing forum than others, especially the Male Fragrance Discussion Forum, DIY forum, and several others. I rarely recall it getting ugly in there.

6) To simply delete it without any warning was a slap in the face to members who posted there, and understandably so, it probably feels a bit personal to some. Just because YOU didn't like it, doesn't mean others didn't. I think this is really why people are pissed off. It's like, "Who cares about what you enjoyed, this is what we want, and SURPRISE! We just erased your favorite little forum, now deal with it."

7) If you really want to rule out the possibility of "X," just make it so posts in Off-Topic don't count toward one's actual post count. Problem solved.

8) I'll miss it. Hopefully it will return, but I doubt it. It's been fun chatting with you off-topickers. See you elsewhere!
    Well said, Buysblind, especially # 6.

Basenotes Plus

Well said Buysblind!!! I can totally relate to #2

Danielle and Grant - thanks for the consideration.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 30th October 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries

To not have a catch-all area at all, makes the place "cut and dry".

For instance, Fragrantica has a topic, "Say Anything" and members chit-chat, it flows, it turns silly, whatever ... but it seems relaxing.

Parfumo has something similar, a topic, "I have been ..." like, I have been doing this and that.

Of course, Basenotes is huge, but a little informal chit-chat area would be nice, like - "after a hard day's work (= evaluating perfumes and serious perfumery conversations) = just relax in a bar and have a couple of beers" .
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

One of my favourite Aesop's fables as a kid was the one about the man with the donkey walking to market with his son. The moral was basically that you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Tough decisions are part and parcel of running this business between two of us, assisted by two amazing, part-time staff and some highly valued volunteers who have their own jobs and lives to run.

We will never, particularly at the moment, be able to make decisions that please every single one of our members. We would be as foolish as the man with the donkey if we tried.

What we will seek to do, is make this a good, solid place to talk about fragrance. We will try to ensure that people can expect a level of respect and equality and that they have freedom to speak their mind, even if it is hurtful to Grant and/or myself personally, as long as they do it without profanity or prejudice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally like to see some non-fragrance chat.
    Unfortunately most of the non-fragrance chat I saw when I used the site regularly was a constant stream of inane rubbish (that's putting it mildly) about what people were eating and what word came into their head after seeing a word someone else had just said.
    On top of the vacuous and repetitive fragrance threads it was all a bit much.
    I expect people's lives to improve immeasurably without this forum.
    Here's a piece of toast I just made

Excellent post Buysblind. Well thought out, and articulated. To JUST come to BN to see what's new with fragrances would take about 15 minutes / day. That's about how long I have been here since the switchover. I used to always have a window open and kept an eye on it throughout the day most of the time.

Some threads were completely pointless, but the pet-peeve, jokes, NFL chat, and a few others were very good -- I learned more about some of my fellow Basenoters (and some other interesting things also) in a few months there then I did in a few years on the "fragrance only" boards.

I am sure I will still pop in now and then to check out the latest fragrance discussions, but I can't see myself being here anywhere near as much as before. I guess that is the intent. Get in, say what you have to say about fragrances, and move along. Ok.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I personally like to see some non-fragrance chat.
    Unfortunately most of the non-fragrance chat I saw when I used the site regularly was a constant stream of inane rubbish (that's putting it mildly) about what people were eating and what word came into their head after seeing a word someone else had just said.
    On top of the vacuous and repetitive fragrance threads it was all a bit much.
    I expect people's lives to improve immeasurably without this forum.
    Here's a piece of toast I just made
    When I started seeing random food items popping up in fragrance discussions due to (presumably) dropping one-word posts into the wrong browser tab, I knew we had reached some kind of minimum in cyberspace!

Off Topic was actually pretty remarkable back in the days when we had people like TV Lampboy inhabiting it. A lot of culture, knowledge, and sophistication appeared there. I would be greatly in favor of returning to that sort of OT forum, and excluding both the human bot threads and OT post counts. I think that might make everybody happy. But for the moment, let's get the important stuff up and running. We desperately need a functioning directory with the latest fragrances being available for SOTD.

I would like to see a new posts stream like we had on Huddler - and that feature could omit OT if it ever came back.

PS - which Musketeer is that on the toast?

Thanks for speaking out Rubegon, and thanks Grant and Danielle for the wise decision.
    Fave Scents:
    Vetiver Extraordinaire; French Lover; Zagorsk; Eau Trois, L'Autre; Sous le Vent; Mitsouko; Nur Shaal

Not a fan of the toast pic, but I digress...

Buysblind, some good points in there +1

I just don't see the point of me coming on here much, as like I said, the FDF is pretty much non-existent and the ot topics were added bonuses to me. It's just not as fun....it's like yes, we take fragrance seriously, which is good...then there is too seriously..where there is no fun involved? Idk about that. I don't wanna/won't join Fragrantica...as that site does seem a bit of a glorified chat site..'what should I wear to a Pearl Jam concert!!?' 'I don't love my sig scent as much anymore, what do I do'? 'I need to buy something..help' 'Does coconut go well with these sunglasses?'..blah blah blah. Not to single out that site... they do have a fab directory..but the forums? No thanks. But then there are no ot threads here? Not all of us are about scent all of the time. Plus, I do like getting to know the BNers a wee bit more...some through ot topics. Without ot topics...it's just not as fun anymore. I mean, with no FDF and no OT threads..I mean, what's the point of me even visiting this site? SOTD pretty much and that's it. On the FDF, there is just no traffic. I do like visiting the MDFs a little bit..but come on. I can't get into DHI topics or whatever too much...I focus mainly on perfumes for the other sex. Is it just harder to moderate? I am sure it would be but mostly all forums out there have some kind of OT threads.

I mean, this site is for us, right? Or no? I mean, we didn't even get to take a poll on it/have a say in it or anything...just gone.

Dougczar, yes, those topics were cool. Like you said, come in say whatever about scent and go. Low maintenance maybe..but not a fun site.

Just me though. Or 'just sayin'. LOL, anyone notice that people 'can' say anything...as long as it's followed by 'just sayin'? Like it makes everything they just said, somehow ok?? Like, 'your cat...she's fat, 'just sayin'. Or gosh, you can't drive can you? Just sayin'. LOL.
    Last edited by kalli; 31st October 2013 at 01:48 AM.

Guerlainista

@rubegon: So if traffic to those forums increases, you're in favor of shutting them down? I listed ways to avoid clogging up the new post search in post 12.

Perhaps the solution is to have an off topic thread. One single thread where members can post the latest album/movie/tv show they really enjoyed, what they're eating/drinking, or anything else they feel like talking about. Just a thought.
    JH - Yes, absolutely, if the traffic on them grew to a point where they reduced the quality of BN as a fragrance forum. I don't think there's any risk of that happening. I didn't like how poorly the huddler site handled some of the stuff I care about most - wardrobe and the fragrance directory.

I think having an off-topic thread is a great idea. Maybe one in each group - male and female FD. I have nothing against with people having off-topic discussion on BN. I just don't want it to be at the expense of a properly functioning site. Let's face it - most of the site traffic was on threads where no meaningful human interaction was happening.

I'd be all for eliminating post count altogether. What value does it add? If that motivates people to post at very high frequency, maybe making post count invisible would kill the incentive.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    When I started seeing random food items popping up in fragrance discussions due to (presumably) dropping one-word posts into the wrong browser tab, I knew we had reached some kind of minimum in cyberspace!

Off Topic was actually pretty remarkable back in the days when we had people like TV Lampboy inhabiting it. A lot of culture, knowledge, and sophistication appeared there. I would be greatly in favor of returning to that sort of OT forum, and excluding both the human bot threads and OT post counts. I think that might make everybody happy. But for the moment, let's get the important stuff up and running. We desperately need a functioning directory with the latest fragrances being available for SOTD.

I would like to see a new posts stream like we had on Huddler - and that feature could omit OT if it ever came back.

That kind of OT is great, and I'd love to see it. The kind we have is more like a constant stream of forum spam from "human bots" as you say.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I will miss the ospreys and black eagles, and the funny video clips.

I hope someday Off Topic can come back in a way that doesn't over-tax the mods. Also, I would be in favor of posts in Off Topic not adding to our post counts (to prevent someone new from using O.T. to up their post count rapidly just so they could sell on the BN Marketplace.).

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Also, I would be in favor of posts in Off Topic not adding to our post counts (to prevent someone new from using O.T. to up their post count rapidly just so they could sell on the BN Marketplace.).
    This, +1.

Basenotes Junkie

Wondering how long it takes before this thread gets LOCKED!

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I don't want to argue this point really, but just wish to make it clear that we don't all feel the same way.

I would often scan the "recent posts" and have to scroll down through 15-20 posts before I find one that says anything interesting about fragrance. That kills the flow of the forum, and drives away people that actually want to read about and discuss perfume. I know some will miss it and may spend more time elsewhere, but I for one see the elimination of OT as a move that will cause me to want to spend more time here.

Agreed. If you want to chat about what you had for lunch stick a picture on Facebook or something - really, apart from the 'What Are You Listening To' one there was nothing there for me and as I have one vote I will cast it . . . let's get Basenotes back to what it was originally intended for, a place to discuss fragrance (in all its different permutations) and the industry in general.

The rest of the place needs moderation, particularly the Male area, so why not free up the people trying to maintain some standards to work where they are needed?

The whole post-count thing is just sad - are people really so desperate that they need to post nonsense here? I suppose it's just to hit the requisite number so they can sell stuff . . . so maybe this approach to 'qualifying' is part of the cause of the problem?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 31st October 2013 at 08:02 AM.

Going to guess ot threads aren't coming back. I probably won't spend much time here...don't see the point. Maybe sotd I guess, Idk. We had some sample passes going on but those are deleted for now. Not much going on, on the FDF, like I said. This will become mainly just an MDF...like I guess BN originally was...idk.

I like to discuss more than fragrance......with my fragrant friends... no ot topics seem a bit rigid and just...so not fun. But doubt my opinions matter much, as what's done is done.
    Last edited by kalli; 31st October 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: I don't reed so good, I don't spel so good

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    ..'what should I wear to a Pearl Jam concert!!?' 'I don't love my sig scent as much anymore, what do I do'? 'I need to buy something..help' 'Does coconut go well with these sunglasses?'..blah blah blah..
    You're pretty well describing what the Male Board has turned into, here

I never really understood why so many people hang out in the 'off topic/general' section of forums that are dedicated to a certain hobby. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you don't want to talk about perfume, that why not find a general forum to visit?

I occasionally browse the off topic section, and see members that i've never seen before in any other chat room! So you're a member of a perfume forum, but you don't talk about perfume. You come here to talk about sports?

I think its a good move. It will probably ease the load on the server and hopefully get more folks talking about perfume.

We have an excellent gang of moderators here that will make sure the redundant/useless threads don't get out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

PS - which Musketeer is that on the toast?

Which musketeer?
    That's my bubble well and truly burst.
    I had been considering it as a possible message from God when it came out of the toaster like that but began to have my doubts when "Mean Streets" era Robert De Niro popped out of it this morning .
    Check this out:
    Last edited by martinijo; 31st October 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I never really understood why so many people hang out in the 'off topic/general' section of forums that are dedicated to a certain hobby. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you don't want to talk about perfume, that why not find a general forum to visit?

I occasionally browse the off topic section, and see members that i've never seen before in any other chat room! So you're a member of a perfume forum, but you don't talk about perfume. You come here to talk about sports?

I think its a good move. It will probably ease the load on the server and hopefully get more folks talking about perfume.

We have an excellent gang of moderators here that will make sure the redundant/useless threads don't get out of hand.
    My thoughts entirely. Speaking as a layman (not a mod), I think it's a great move. It's not so much the clutter of conversation in Off Topic that was an issue, but the whole focus of the site leaning on OT rather than anything else. It's like we are all turning up with golf balls to a football match!

BN is about fragrance and related things as has already been stated and that's the way it should be.