Code of Conduct

Default Savile Row by Richard James

I bough blind a bottle of Savile Row by Richard James in ebay and I was delighted with it from first spritz. The epitome of elegance, very sophisticated, great sillage, lasts all day long and very, very, very British, something Sir Lawrence Olivier would wear (LOL). Here in Basenotes it is listed simply as Richard James and I believe it is the same fragrance because the notes are the same. Can anybody confirm that the RJ listed here is RJ Savile Row?
    Anyhow, I do not understand why is not more popular, and if anybody can tell me were to find another bottle I would appreciate it. And can anybody explain to me what is the meaning of the stars atop your avatar?

Default Re: Savile Row by Richard James

Stars indicate how many posts you have. More posts, more stars

RJSR is one of the best! Not too many have it either, which is good...

Great Scent, but it seems too elegant for me to wear often, you have to be dressed in a certain way and in a certain mood to pull it off flawlessly
    Great just to smell either way!

Try Tiffany for Men, another amazing fragrance along the same line as SR
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I'll give Tiffany for Men a try. Thanks for the tip.

I also like Richard James Eau de Toilette. A spicy tuberose with tobacco and a "clean shirt accord."

Does this mean starch is in the scent?

(The new Sartorial by Penhaligon's also pays homage to the bespoke clothing trade in London with its scent of oiled shears and beeswax for the thread.)

By the way, Savile Row refers to the location of the bespoke tailor Richard James--much like Donna Karan New York.

There is also a Richard James Cologne, which is different from the eau de toilette.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I had a sneak preview of early versions of Sartorial and I can tell you it's very very good. I will also have an exclusive preview of this very special coming to this forum in the next week or so...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I bought it in ebay and have not been able to find it again neither there, nor anyplace else. Do they sell this perfume in the USA at all?, do I have to go to London to get it? If anybody knows where to buy it let me know, PLEASE!!!!

It's pretty ironic, as I bought a bottle of this for 10 or 15 dollars at TJ Maxx, of all places. Ended up selling it though.

On ebay right now someone is selling "Richard James Eau de Cologne" but in the photo it says Savile Row. Check it out, it may be worth contacting the seller for clarification

http://cgi.ebay.com/RICHARD-JAMES-EA...#ht_3664wt_922
    Last edited by MikeNY; 11th October 2010 at 01:58 AM.

It looks like it is Savile Row in the pic, so I asked the seller.
    Thanks for the tip.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

I may be wrong but I do believe that the name of the Edt fragrance is Richard James and not Savile Row or Richard James Savile Row.
    There are three kinds of people in this world: those who understand math and those who don't (four out of three people surveyed agree with this).

The one I have says Savile Row in the label, actually the bottle has imprinted, in the glass, in black letters the following:

Richard James
    Savile Row

No label, no nothing else
    So I do not think that the Eau de Toilette is the same thing.
    But if you look at this, it makes you believe it is the same thing. http://www.perfumeshop.com/5050651192574.html

I guess I am confused LOL, but the stuff I have is one of the best fragrances in the world and I want to get more!!!!!!
    Last edited by PerfumeCollector; 11th October 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I may be wrong but I do believe that the name of the Edt fragrance is Richard James and not Savile Row or Richard James Savile Row.
    That is correct.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Amazon is not helping to clear up the confusion. Here they have, but are sold out of, "Savile Row Cologne by Richard James Eau De Toilettes." Same thing at Beauty Encounter.

http://www.amazon.com/Richard-James-.../dp/B000K11MDS

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    That is correct.
    Concur with JC here.

The scent is simply Richard James eau de toilette. There is also a cologne, which is a separate scent.

I bought mine some time ago from Beauty Encounter, so look back from time to time as they might get some in.

If you like a masculine tuberose, also try Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse Trois Animale. This is a warm, rich men's (actually unisex) floral/tobacco/leather. You might like this.
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th October 2010 at 02:43 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think I got it.
    The Savile Row imprinted in the bottle is just to indicate "WHERE" Richard James' store is, which is in Savile Row, London, it could as well have said London instead of Savile Row.
    Unfortunately that confused many like Amazon and Perfume Shop staff and they offer it as: Savile Row by Richard James whan in reality it is simply Richard James EdT. Anybody could confirm this?

I was lucky enough to recently acquire a bottle of this stuff a few months back and it still has me pondering it. It is spicy, flowery, citrusy, musky, and leathery. It has a bulky amount of notes but, oddly enough, they work quite well together. I was surprised that a scent with this many notes was so smooth. The notes blend very well and at no times do they clash or step on each other. It is really a fine work of perfumery.

I would like to acquire another bottle but this stuff is virtually impossible to find. Does anyone know where I can snag a bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentapede View Post

I would like to acquire another bottle but this stuff is virtually impossible to find. Does anyone know where I can snag a bottle?
    We are in the same boat LOL, can't find it anywhere

I would also love to find a bottle of this... been looking for a year.... always out at Beautyencounter!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Funny, a few years ago there was a glut of these at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for about 25 bucks. Now, hard to find anywhere.

It currently pops up on the grey maket here in Germany off and on. There's regularly a bottle or two on ebay. I like it very much, like Burberry Brit it is a well-done update of the traditional British fragrance style.Works nicely with a sharp suit, but also luxurious leisure wear, like high end cashmere sweaters.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I heard about this when I was searching for a bottle. Now the bottles are much more money, even if you can track one down on Ebay you are going to pay for it.
    UP FOR SWAP: UNGARO 1. *Willing to ship first. I am looking for Montale, CdG Avignon, or Bois des Iles. Open to all suggestion.

Every once in awhile in the US, you can find this at Beauty Encounter.

They had Habit Rouge eau de parfum (the one in the red leather cover) for a short while, too.

There is a bottle on ebay now, but the seller 1) lives in Kuwait City thus making shipping a major issue and 2) has bad feedback with a startling number of buyers complaining that the juice is fake and/or not fresh. I want another bottle but would not buy from this seller.
    UP FOR SWAP: UNGARO 1. *Willing to ship first. I am looking for Montale, CdG Avignon, or Bois des Iles. Open to all suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentapede View Post
    There is a bottle on ebay now, but the seller 1) lives in Kuwait City thus making shipping a major issue and 2) has bad feedback with a startling number of buyers complaining that the juice is fake and/or not fresh. I want another bottle but would not buy from this seller.
    Thank you for the heads up

AromiErotici

I am sampling this for the first time as we speak. ( Thanks to Dimitrios ). I find it very good and my initial reaction is that it's in the same ballpark as Tiffany and Sagamore.

It's bottle worthy to me in spite of already owning the above two. This is fairly elegant and would work well for something formal.

Wearing this today. Bought it on TwoRoads suggestion!

I have a bottle of SR & find it elegant & sophisticated ... with great sillage & above average longevity .
    cool & refreshing upon first pritz & the dry down , followed by the blossoming of the mega tuberose heart .
    Its a thumbs up by me , but i may have to part with my bottle as the misses doesn't come near me with this on ...
    different story with Tiffany !! mmmmm ,

glad you like it Aromi

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I have a bottle of SR & find it elegant & sophisticated ... with great sillage & above average longevity .
    cool & refreshing upon first pritz & the dry down , followed by the blossoming of the mega tuberose heart .
    Its a thumbs up by me , but i may have to part with my bottle as the misses doesn't come near me with this on ...
    different story with Tiffany !! mmmmm ,

glad you like it Aromi

Me thinks there's going to be swap in the near future.......

I am rediscovering this scent.

What a fine, elegant fragrance, an elegant spicy tuberose for men.

Is this scent still in production? It's getting harder to find.

If anyone is interested, this is up on eBay UK. I actually have this set and the soap is wonderful. Buy this while you can.

On the back of the grey box, it mentions the "clean, starched shirt accord," whatever that is, LOL!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richard-Ja...item415ca2e6f2
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th April 2012 at 11:24 PM.

Tried this a long time ago and didn't care very much for it.

It's coming back. Very soon... #RichardJamesEDT
    FragranceBox2.jpg

FragranceShop.jpg
    Richard James Savile Row EDT returned to the Savile Row store today!
    Same scent, same bottle!
    We are currently finalising international distribution.
    There's a little more about it on our blog, here - http://ow.ly/C7dQJ
    And we understand you might be able to read a bit more about it on this site soon.
    RJ

Basenotes Plus

The bottle looks the same but the box sports a new look. More importantly, does the fragrance smell the same?

Good news! I have some in the old box. I was always amused at the "white shirt" accord.

I hope it smells the same.

Wonderful men's floral.

We think so!
    And that was certainly the idea!
    Hope you get to try it at some point and let us know what you think.
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Good news! I have some in the old box. I was always amused at the "white shirt" accord.

I hope it smells the same.

Wonderful men's floral.
    Thank you!
    As was the case the first time around, the reissue derives certain of its freshness from 'clean starched shirt accord'.
    We hope you will try it and let us know what you think.
    RJ

It's already appeared for sale on Allbeauty (formerly Cheapsmells). I presume this is the new version and they haven't managed to get hold of some bottles of the original release?

Quote Originally Posted by Healer View Post
    It's already appeared for sale on Allbeauty (formerly Cheapsmells). I presume this is the new version and they haven't managed to get hold of some bottles of the original release?
    Thank goodness it's no longer called Cheapsmells…
    Yes, that's the 're-release'.
    It's on our own online store now, too.
    And we should be in a position to announce where it can be obtained in the USA next week.
    Thanks for your interest!
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    RJSR is one of the best! Not too many have it either, which is good...
    I agree... This happens to be my SOTD!!!

Just to update those who have enquired about distribution, Richard James Savile Row is now available from the following outlets:
    Richard James Online (UK only)
    Allbeauty.com (UK only)
    The Grooming Clinic (Europe, inc. Russia)

And coming in the next week or so:
    Birchbox.com (USA)
    Colette (France and the rest of Europe)

And here, if you're interested, is a link to our original 2003 cinema commercial for Richard James Savile Row EDT - http://ow.ly/CulAe
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJames View Post
    Just to update those who have enquired about distribution, Richard James Savile Row is now available from the following outlets:
    Allbeauty.com (UK only)

Birchbox.com (USA)

And here, if you're interested, is a link to our original 2003 cinema commercial for Richard James Savile Row EDT - http://ow.ly/CulAe
    RJ
    This never did show up at Birchbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichardJames View Post
    Allbeauty.com (UK only)

Birchbox.com (USA)

RJ
    I wish it were at Lucky Scent... oh well.

Anyone tried this reissue yet?
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
    This never did show up at Birchbox.com
    Apologies. There has been a slight delay with Birchbox, but it will be there in the not too distant future! We will let you know as soon as we have a date.

We are delighted to announce that Richard James Savile Row is now available in the United States through birchbox.com

Tried the original Richard James for the first time recently and am absolutely blown away by it. I'm not about to commit to a 'signature fragrance' but if I did this would definitely be it - I don't think I'd ever get tired of wearing it. It's complex, shape-shifting, lasts well, projects perfectly and smells AMAZING!

Fresh, clean and transparent smelling yet warm, cosy and luxurious with an amazing suede note which lingers until the next day on skin and clothing.

I really hope that the 're-issue' lives up to the high standard of it's predecessor as this is a truly outstanding fragrance for me out of hundreds I've smelled. Wonderful stuff...!

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Tried the original Richard James for the first time recently and am absolutely blown away by it. I'm not about to commit to a 'signature fragrance' but if I did this would definitely be it - I don't think I'd ever get tired of wearing it.
    Agreed. I have 50ml of the original and have been using it sparingly. I am currently in a split for the remake and am curious to see how faithful it is to the original (if in fact it is different).