Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Interview with Luca Turin - Fragrances, mostly science, worldly matters, Greece, etc

".....The fragrance industry is one of the stupidest industries I've ever encountered. It is almost uniquely predicated on taking the customer for an idiot.....There are better and worse perfumes, but it doesn't seem to matter very much. It's, as they say in England, all fart and no shit.....

......No, actually I was very fortunate, because the people that I've met mostly were the perfumers. They are amazing, they are artists, working under the most depressing constraints most of the time. It's an absolute joy to talk to these people. Then you find out that they propose some wonderful scents that are discarded in favour of a copy of some other piece of shit that made millions. The commercial part of the industry is awful. And the perfumers have a miserable time....."

http://www.georgakopoulos.org/luca-turin/
    Last edited by pluran; 31st October 2013 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great Interview with Luca Turin - Fragrances, mostly science, worldly matters, Greece, etc

Thanks, pluran!

Feisty as ever - terrific.

Default Re: Great Interview with Luca Turin - Fragrances, mostly science, worldly matters, Greece, etc

"But secondly, the time has come in Europe for everybody to speak English."

Certainly not, Mr. Turin. No good starting point for a "Doctor Universalis". While I admire most things he writes about perfumes I disagree in "worldly matters". :-)
    Last edited by Tristram; 31st October 2013 at 07:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

He comes across, to me, as a somewhat sad and disillusioned man; how sad if that is true.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything he said.

Interesting

Post Thanks / Like

Great interview. Seems rather frank and outspoken.

Post Thanks / Like

I met him briefly in Enfleurage in NYC. He struck me as very joyful. But maybe that was because I was starstruck.

Thanks for the link. Found it informative and interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    He comes across, to me, as a somewhat sad and disillusioned man; how sad if that is true.
    His attitude sounds very human to me, disenchanted, sure, maybe a bit low spirited- but I think anyone who lives in Southern Europe feels the bites of the economic, moral and intellectual crisis. Also his remarks on scientific research seem quite spot on, I know many young talented scientists who struggle everyday in a hostile world...

Thanks Pluran for the link.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Feisty indeed, and I wouldn't have him any other way - agree or disagree with him, the man demands attention. Thank you, Pluran

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting! Great read!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. I enjoyed it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pluran. I like this man more every time I come across him.
    " Apple doesn't sell its products on the basis that you and I are stupid. But the fragrance industry does. There is something cynical and insulting about the entire concept. I find it contemptuous and obnoxious."

"TED now has become the church of self-improvement, which is so nauseating. "

Tell it like it is

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very interesting. Thanks for the link Pluran.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Thanks Pluran. I like this man more every time I come across him.
    " Apple doesn't sell its products on the basis that you and I are stupid. But the fragrance industry does. There is something cynical and insulting about the entire concept. I find it contemptuous and obnoxious."

"TED now has become the church of self-improvement, which is so nauseating. "

Tell it like it is
    I love him because he speaks for millions of marginalized and disaffected scientists who feel very deeply that we all took a wrong turn somewhere back up the road. Maybe more than one wrong turn.