Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 31 October 2013.

Hi all - hope we all have a great day!

Aedes de Venustas EdP.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 31 October 2013.

Happy Hallowe'en!

L'Artisan Déliria.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Thursday already?!

Working late, late, late into the night again to avoid having to be here on the weekend. May resurface Friday am. In lots of Coco Mademoiselle today.

images-1.jpeg

Enjoy your day!

'Morning all.

Micallef Patchouli for me in this beautiful, windy October day.

Best to all
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Morning All,

A strike today sees me working from home (no complaints !).
    Wearing Chanel's Cuir de Russie (vintage EdT).
    Best to everyone.

Good morning folks!

Taking a break from a run of Guerlain classics with the wonderful Leather Oud. I really ought to get this one out more often.

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Testing out Annick Goutal's Ninfeo Mio from my recently blind-bought bottle. l smell like a midsummer morning on this grey, damp day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello all. L'Artisan Mechant Loop.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. SOTD is Worth Courtesan. Currently trying to cycle through some of the lesser-worn scents in my stash.

Wish you all a great day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone!

SotD is Gingerale by Demeter.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tea For Two this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 31 October 2013.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

caline.jpg Many Thanks to Le Mouchoir de Monsieur for introducing me to the most gorgeous green chypre ever. Jean Patou Caline Adore Adore Adore. Happy Halloween Fragrant Goddesses! A big shout out to any Red Sox Fans! Congratulations.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning everyone! I'm trying out Serge Lutens Miel de Bois from a sample today.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 31st October 2013 at 01:25 PM.

Good morning everyone -

I'm in HdP 1889 Moulin Rouge. Y'all have a fantastic day!

Hi there, Fleurine - long time no smell! It's so nice to see you here, especially when you're wafting your glorious Caline!

Hey Foustie - no worries, lol! I'm familiar with the smelly angle of "pong", though I didn't realize it was specifically English. I was really thinking it might be your clever and cute slang for tennis, like the onomatopoeia "pong, pong, pong", or perhaps glorified ping-pong, see. But I was pretty sure you weren't just openly calling me out for being stinky.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Did a graveyard shift at work, I gotta do them like three times a year. No complaints, it is actually easier than anything else available, the only problem being staying awake. But there is always food and coffee, on top of plenty of action, so that "awake" part is quite easy.

Meanwhile, one of you fragrance enthusiasts sent me a new box with samples (remember "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? "Toys!"), so I am in a mish-mash of Boucheron Initial and FM Dries Van Noten. Going to sleep.

Oh, Erin - I just saw your post from yesterday and wanted to add that grocery shopping is another reason you'd love New Orleans, and especially the French Quarter ...and not just the French Market, which is excellent for some things, but not nearly the only game in town. But here, unless you want to get in your car and drive to an actual supermarket, everyone shops the French way ...one shop for your bread, then another for your meat, and another for seafood, and cheese, and wine, and coffee, flowers, etc. It sounds like a huge hassle, but I think it's a joy and you always know you're getting the freshest of what's available, not just the most convenient, or at the front of the shelves. And you get to know the proprietor, which also guarantees that you'll get the very best. And when shopping's a pleasure, cooking is even more fun! You should really think about visiting some time - I speak for us all when I say that N'awlins would love to have you.

Sweet dreams, Wolfie. xo
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Trimaran by Yves Rocher
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I echo Evangeline, sweet dreams Twolf! I have huge admiration for those that work the nightshift to keep us all safe and healthy. Police, Firefighters, healthcare workers (especially those nurses doing rounds all night), etc, hats off.

ErinK, I feel you on the grocery shopping. I think when you only shop for one, it's harder because you don't have a list of what you HAVE to have. Although now I HAVE to have Halloween candy unless I turn my lights off tonight :P We do have a market by us now that has individual shops inside. So there's a fishmonger, a cheesemonger, a butcher, a baker, a candlestickmaker. Seriously tho, it's AH-MAZ-ING. They found these individual artisan's and set them up all together. So you can get everything you need in one place, but it's quality. It's also pricier, but whoa the difference.

I'm in my 2nd sample from the trip, Fredric Malle's Dans tes Bras. I can't quite figure this one out. It's pretty and sweet, but I can smell some spice in the wings.

My 2nd date went off great. I'm really liking this guy so far, but I'm trying to rein in any expectations. He wasn't able to get together til after 9pm, so it was a late night and now I'm yawning. But it was worth it! But that means still no painting was done in my spare room/boudoir. Good news was I wore VW Boudoir, and he said "ooooh you smell great". So that one goes in the pile for a decant!

Hello all!

Last edited by easyfish; 31st October 2013 at 01:46 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Spooky greetings, favorite people — with special winks and nods to Furriner and Kiliwia and Elizrj above.

I feel up in the air not being able to continue our communion within our Chicago trip thread at the moment. I don't want to say too much more on the subject until the thread’s restored. Four days out from the weekend now, I think I've finally processed events and have them properly framed and hung on my wall of happy memories.

Can’t stop smelling my hands. Rtamara gave me an adorable angel-shaped soap from Merz (“we can see each other’s wings”), which I didn't want to wash with right away but instead have perched atop my fragrance cabinet looking down on my sink and me. In order to make it sit flat, I had to shave the angel’s bottom, and I've been washing with those shavings, which leave my hands smelling like honeyed sandalwood. It’s likely I’m going to need to get more angels.

It’s supposed to be a soggy, foggy day all day long. My dear Mr. and I have no/none/zilch/zero(!) obligations today, so I've hooked up the Mac Mini to the big plasma TV, and we’ll catch up on shows. Because I aim to please, I've sidestepped my other Chicago scent souvenirs in favor of Mr.’s favorite, Attache Moi, a resin stew of a fragrance that gets on fine with my angelic hands. (He smelled the Philosykos rollerball I purchased in Chicago and made THAT face—disgust and disbelief. Ha! That's why I didn't buy it in atomizer form, to spare you the exposure, sweetie.)

Forever a fan of New Orleans.

Jicky EdP, freshly bought. So far my fears seem to come true. Compared to my bottle from c. 6 years ago, the scent here is only half of what it used to be. The impact is reduced immensely, it's like a vampire: While it's certainly "there", it has no shadow. Is this understandable? A whole dimension is gone. Very sad.
    Last edited by Tristram; 31st October 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Basenotes Member

Avignon - because I'm dressed as a devil for halloween, and I thought the contrast between the costume and the catholic church incense scent was amusing.

SOTD: Lucid by House of Matriarch. This one has a lot of projection, and I am working in a cube farm full of people today, so I just sprayed a tiny bit on a cotton ball and dabbed it on myself.

Last night's SOTE was Cristina by Hilde Soliani. A very pretty patchouli-based scent. The Mr couldn't get enough of smelling it!

Can't sleep now. Where else would one read about shaving the angel's butt and smelly shavings?

Tell you what, Mrs.Q. If your Chicago thread is not restored by this weekend (Nov.1), go ahead and start a new one. The bestest memories are the freshest memories, just like artisanal bread.

Hi everyone! What a fun thread today! easyfish, that pumpkin is CRAZY! And cute that you are in Costume National - I so wanted to love 21...just couldn't do it. And KBear, I think Avignon (another scent I appreciate but cannot wear--yikes--but I'm jealous of you guys who can pull that kind of scent off) is perfect for your devil costume!

Evangeline, elizrj, and Xscent, that is exactly the kind of grocery shopping I want to do. (I'm good without butcher and fishmonger, but sign me up for fresh produce, cheese, and bread!) E, I have never been to New Orleans but it is on my must-visit list. I have been trying to get my mom to go on a mother-daughter trip there for years, and it hasn't happened yet, but one day we will make it!

My department of underwriters just won the building's costume contest as the Queens and Kings of Denial!! Lots of people in my building dressed up; one of the cutest groups dressed as women from the movie The Birds and were in 60s outfits with blackbirds stuck to their clothes. It was so cool! However, I am proud to say that we stole the show.

I had to get out of costume, though, because I have an interview at 2:00! It is for the job I applied for a couple weeks ago. Cross your fingers for me! It would be a great opportunity and I am so hoping I get it!

Joining several of y'all in Chanel: 1932 for me today. In my haste running out the door this morning with bags of costumes and goodies I forgot to put on perfume, but luckily my little bit of 1932 from cello was in my purse and saved the day. Thinking it's a perfect interview scent!
    Last edited by ErinK; 31st October 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: i can't not edit a post, just assume every time i post something it will get edited at least twice.

I'm late to the party today because I couldn't pick up my new computer until today.

Going again with SL Un Bois Vanille, which I am enjoying more this time around than when I originally sampled it several years ago.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Halloween!

Spending the day in my darkest, blackest scent (which got a comment from one of my co-workers - as it always does every time I wear it!):

Black Aoud by Montale

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

(((Wolfie))), you are such a trooper - have a nightcap on me

My transport frustrations finally ended today. In the aftermath of the overnight winds on Sunday the only train not running this week has been on the branch line I use for work. Around £70 down after forking out for taxis and buses but all is now restored to working order from today - hallelujah !. That cash had Fortnums or Harrods name on it, not Arriva or Goldline

A martyr to the cause .

SotD is Grossmith Golden Chypre.

(((Xscent and Twolf))) -- I hope restful sleep comes to you both.

ErinK, I loved your post yesterday. I feel your pain. Omaha has virtually none of the options you long for -- nearly all big box stores, Super-this and Super-that -- other than one small local grocer with a great meat counter and deli. But it's still a grocery store, just on a smaller scale. I would love a different kind of shopping experience, but I'm here for the next 12 years or so

Shockingly, I'm in Parfumerie Generale again today; this time, it's Aomassai. I love its toasted nutty warmth.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see more of the Chicago photos 😄

How the heck did I miss it was Halloween?

It's past 1am and this girl is done, completely wiped out. On the upside was invited to dinner Saturday to one of my favourite places as a thank you.

Twolf I'll stay up with you. This thread always makes me smile. Angel's bums hehe, love it.

Cello congrats on the new computer what did you end up with?

ErinK I have frequented my butcher, fromagerie, baker, fishmonger for years, they are the best and know me and my tastes well. It's wonderful when you have a personal stash of goodies they thoughtfully put aside for you because they know you will like it. Angels the lot of them. Well done on the interview and good luck sweets! 1932 is perfect.

Elizrj sending good vibes on the second/third date. He should be so lucky!

Evangeline good to know there someone in the know case I make it to your neck of the woods next year. I'll be pestering you for food, jazz and must see/do recommendations.

ExtremeK ((hugs)) back to you, going to get my cashmere blankie and snuggle down with a book. I know you would understand blankie buddy.

Having a long shower and switching vintage Cuir de Russie parfum for bed. A bit decadent but necessary tonight. Did I mention I ordered a new car today? Yep going topless baby! New cabriolet maybe here in time for Christmas. 2014 is going to be exceptional.

Night all.
    Last edited by Xscent; 1st November 2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: In support of ErinK ;)

ErinK good luck on the interview! I absolutely agree that 1932 is perfect for that.

Jon, oh wow, lovely pictures. Do you know where those buildings are? I'm sorry you had to spend your perfume money on transportation

cello, congrats on the new computer. Hope you're loving it!

Thank you XScent! I am hoping it continues to go well, and I'll keep you posted!

Happy Halloween if you are off Trick or Treating with the kids
    (or on your own maybe!!) - I have chosen Yves Rocher Cocoon
    for this witchy night.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    Jon, oh wow, lovely pictures. Do you know where those buildings are?

I think it's the Golden Temple at Amritsar, India.

SotE - Creed Baie De Genievre.

Good luck, ErinK.

Hello everyone. What a colourful, friendly, cheery Halloween thread! Love to all.

Quarry your angel had a hairy bottom?? How odd. Or just a round one? Like everyone else I look forward to more reports from Chicago.

Ponging to the high heavens in all sorts of Roses, for Rubegon's thread.

Good day wonderfully fragrant people!

This new/old site is quite an adjustment, but there are some features that is so wonderful to have back.

Mike - you smell absolutely wonderful in Black Aoud. What do you think about Aoud Cuir d'Arabie?

Xscent - congrats on your new ride, it must be so exciting!

(((Jon))) - Gorgeous pics, as always. And, I count an unexpected expenses in perfume bottles too.

I am joining the sleep deprived crowd as my Hairless had stomach issues for three nights in the row. Waking up in 3 AM, cleaning, and not being able to go back to sleep is no fun at all. On a bright note, I ordered candles from Virginia Candle Company with the wooden wicks - when they burn, the crackling of fire adds to the festive atmosphere.

Twinned with ErinK this morning in Chanel 1932, isn't cello quite a Chanel enabler ? For this evening it will be my go to Halloween fragrance - Deep Night by Ghost

Happy Halloween, everyone!!!

ErinK, I meant to wish you great luck as well, but I was multi-tasking during a stupid conference call and was in a rush. So, knock 'em dead, if you haven't already done so by now!

elizrj, I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! You deserve it

Xscent, you big sweetheart, don't you know it? Your snazzy boudoir thanks you for the olfactory treat tonight. And congratulations on YOUR new treat!! Woo hoo!

All this talk of round, hairy butts has me thinking that ELdO must have a new fragrance in the works -- but they already have Fat Electrician, so likely redundant.

Hey y'all -

I've made a new habit for myself, and that's following up a morning of Moulin Rouge with an afternoon of Lipstick Rose, or vice-versa. They're both makeup-y scents, and I always tend to go for these little fragrant themes throughout my day. I don't believe I'm alone in this, either - you do it too, right mike? But what did you call them ...I keep wanting to say "pageants" or "parades" ...how far off am I?

Also, we're going to a Halloween party tonight - I'm the Pink Panther and Tony's Inspector Clouseau. Now, I usually never have a problem figuring out what fragrance to wear for what, but all I can think that makes sense (if it absolutely must make sense, as Tony said ..lol!) is Pink Sugar. Does anyone have any clever ideas? Since I'm a panther it should probably be more animalic than sweet, but I seem to be more focused on the whole pink aspect. Hmm ...maybe Mystère would be a better choice...?

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    E, I have never been to New Orleans but it is on my must-visit list. I have been trying to get my mom to go on a mother-daughter trip there for years, and it hasn't happened yet, but one day we will make it!
    We'll be looking forward to it! And good luck with the interview - my fingers are crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    How the heck did I miss it was Halloween?
    Don't you have kids? Do y'all not get into the whole trick-or-treat biz? There's normally loads of chocolate involved, you know.

Evangeline good to know there someone in the know case I make it to your neck of the wood next year. I'll be pestering you for food, jazz and must see/do recommendations.
    Yeah, okay ...consider me warned!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 31st October 2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: I edit, too ...all the time.

I just spritzed on a little La Rose Jacqueminot. I am influenced by Rubegon's thread about roses and soliflores. Otherwise, Happy Halloween everybody!

Xscent, congrats! What color may I ask?

Honeyed sandalwood sounds nice, Jon! I'd like me an angel!.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    My 2nd date went off great. I'm really liking this guy so far, but I'm trying to rein in any expectations. He wasn't able to get together til after 9pm, so it was a late night and now I'm yawning. But it was worth it! But that means still no painting was done in my spare room/boudoir. Good news was I wore VW Boudoir, and he said "ooooh you smell great". So that one goes in the pile for a decant!
    Excellent news! And you did smell great, btw - he was right. Boudoir is a wonderful, romantic and soft but very sexy date scent. Any mention of plans for a third yet?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Mike - you smell absolutely wonderful in Black Aoud. What do you think about Aoud Cuir d'Arabie?
    I love it. It is sort of even dirtier than Leather Oud but it really has this signature Montale oud radiance that I have been basking in all day today. Crazy longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline;2983867I've made a new habit for myself, and that's following up a morning of [B
    Moulin Rouge[/B] with an afternoon of Lipstick Rose, or vice-versa. They're both makeup-y scents, and I always tend to go for these little fragrant themes throughout my day. I don't believe I'm alone in this, either - you do it too, right mike? But what did you call them ...I keep wanting to say "pageants" or "parades" ...how far off am I?
    I do this ALL of the time Evangeline. Today, it's oud & then oud later. Yesterday it was carnations in the a.m. & p.m. Sometimes I wear scents from the same house. Or the same perfumer. It's a sign that you know you're a Basenoter. ;0

- - - Updated - - -

Afternoon in:

Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Xscent, congrats! What color may I ask?

Honeyed sandalwood sounds nice, Jon! I'd like me an angel!.
    Kalli thank you! Quite happy to finally have made a decision. Ordered a grey one, Palladium Silver, I think they call it.

Whitefluffy nice to see you and thank you.

ExtremeK you are a darling! Blankie and CdR got me to 5am, I'll take that for now. Holding up surprising well four four hours sleep. Going for my run now.

Elizrj yes please to date and dressing room updates

Jon I think it only right you go get yourself something fragrant this minute for all that inconvenience you have suffered. Lovely pic btw.

Thank you Xscent!

Mike - I think that you and my husband have a lot in common: he loves oud but his absolute favorite ones are Aoud Cuir d'Arabie and Al Oudh - btw, you smell wonderful again . Next oud on his wish list is Songe d'un Bois d'Ete. I haven't tried Montale's Leather Aoud, maybe I really need to one of these days.

Basenotes Plus

Jon I think it only right you go get yourself something fragrant this minute for all that inconvenience you have suffered.
    You never know ! - we will be in York on Saturday which means a compulsory visit to ....

http://www.burginsofyork.co.uk/

If I drop any cash I won't say who put the idea in my head

Happy to give you an update! Yeah we have a date tonight which is funny because he originally didn't have time but he moved some things around. We are starting late at 10pm so taking a quick nap. Question is what to wear...hmmmm.

Evangeline I have to say that Pink Sugar actually sounds right for the Pink Panther. He doesn't strike me as particularly gamey. He's more a glamorous gentleman. For some reason tabac blonde also comes to mind. Cute idea by the way. Please post pics!!

queen of the universe

Halloween, so what else but Hypnotic Poison?
    And here is my "bass-o-lantern"
    P1040046.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Hello all, hope you are all well, and if not my thoughts are that things will turnaround for you.....lots of changes, nice ones too.......how long it takes me to get used to it is another mater....my head is still spinning with work!

SOTE is *What we do in Paris is secret*.......so a photo of my secret hideaway in paris is appropriateI think.

Be well all

sea roses

paris_pad.jpg
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Blog Entries

Black Aoud for Halloween Night-
    And a photo of my new Sun Valley Maple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We snuggled with Mr.T, slept for about three hours, ate cheese sticks reheated from frozen and now I am sporting Chantecaille Kalimantan. It is awesome, lemme tell you.

No trick-o-treaters this year either.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    You never know ! - we will be in York on Saturday which means a compulsory visit to ....

http://www.burginsofyork.co.uk/

If I drop any cash I won't say who put the idea in my head
    Mr Rogers how's a girls suppose to get any work done when you divert her attention to such treasures? Guess what I'm doing right this moment. Sincerest thanks from one enabler to another.

Sea Roses that hideway looks divine. It's a dream to find one for myself when I'm next in that most magical of all cities.

Twolf sigh! Sounds like a a wonderful night in.

Now back to work. Determined to leave here while it's still light today.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Terre d'Hermès tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Institution

Onda Extrait tonight.

Hi everyone !

Hi Mimi!