Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 31 October 2013.

Hi all - hope we all have a great day!

Aedes de Venustas EdP.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 31 October 2013.

Happy Hallowe'en!

L'Artisan Déliria.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Thursday already?!

Working late, late, late into the night again to avoid having to be here on the weekend. May resurface Friday am. In lots of Coco Mademoiselle today.

images-1.jpeg

Enjoy your day!

'Morning all.

Micallef Patchouli for me in this beautiful, windy October day.

Best to all
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Morning All,

A strike today sees me working from home (no complaints !).
    Wearing Chanel's Cuir de Russie (vintage EdT).
    Best to everyone.

Good morning folks!

Taking a break from a run of Guerlain classics with the wonderful Leather Oud. I really ought to get this one out more often.

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Testing out Annick Goutal's Ninfeo Mio from my recently blind-bought bottle. l smell like a midsummer morning on this grey, damp day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello all. L'Artisan Mechant Loop.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. SOTD is Worth Courtesan. Currently trying to cycle through some of the lesser-worn scents in my stash.

Wish you all a great day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Aimez-Moi by Caron

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone!

SotD is Gingerale by Demeter.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Tea For Two this morning
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 31 October 2013.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

caline.jpg Many Thanks to Le Mouchoir de Monsieur for introducing me to the most gorgeous green chypre ever. Jean Patou Caline Adore Adore Adore. Happy Halloween Fragrant Goddesses! A big shout out to any Red Sox Fans! Congratulations.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Good morning everyone! I'm trying out Serge Lutens Miel de Bois from a sample today.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 31st October 2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Currently wearing: Summer Grace by Philosophy

Good morning everyone -

I'm in HdP 1889 Moulin Rouge. Y'all have a fantastic day!

Hi there, Fleurine - long time no smell! It's so nice to see you here, especially when you're wafting your glorious Caline!

Hey Foustie - no worries, lol! I'm familiar with the smelly angle of "pong", though I didn't realize it was specifically English. I was really thinking it might be your clever and cute slang for tennis, like the onomatopoeia "pong, pong, pong", or perhaps glorified ping-pong, see. But I was pretty sure you weren't just openly calling me out for being stinky.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution

Did a graveyard shift at work, I gotta do them like three times a year. No complaints, it is actually easier than anything else available, the only problem being staying awake. But there is always food and coffee, on top of plenty of action, so that "awake" part is quite easy.

Meanwhile, one of you fragrance enthusiasts sent me a new box with samples (remember "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"? "Toys!"), so I am in a mish-mash of Boucheron Initial and FM Dries Van Noten. Going to sleep.

Oh, Erin - I just saw your post from yesterday and wanted to add that grocery shopping is another reason you'd love New Orleans, and especially the French Quarter ...and not just the French Market, which is excellent for some things, but not nearly the only game in town. But here, unless you want to get in your car and drive to an actual supermarket, everyone shops the French way ...one shop for your bread, then another for your meat, and another for seafood, and cheese, and wine, and coffee, flowers, etc. It sounds like a huge hassle, but I think it's a joy and you always know you're getting the freshest of what's available, not just the most convenient, or at the front of the shelves. And you get to know the proprietor, which also guarantees that you'll get the very best. And when shopping's a pleasure, cooking is even more fun! You should really think about visiting some time - I speak for us all when I say that N'awlins would love to have you.

Sweet dreams, Wolfie. xo
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Trimaran by Yves Rocher
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I echo Evangeline, sweet dreams Twolf! I have huge admiration for those that work the nightshift to keep us all safe and healthy. Police, Firefighters, healthcare workers (especially those nurses doing rounds all night), etc, hats off.

ErinK, I feel you on the grocery shopping. I think when you only shop for one, it's harder because you don't have a list of what you HAVE to have. Although now I HAVE to have Halloween candy unless I turn my lights off tonight :P We do have a market by us now that has individual shops inside. So there's a fishmonger, a cheesemonger, a butcher, a baker, a candlestickmaker. Seriously tho, it's AH-MAZ-ING. They found these individual artisan's and set them up all together. So you can get everything you need in one place, but it's quality. It's also pricier, but whoa the difference.

I'm in my 2nd sample from the trip, Fredric Malle's Dans tes Bras. I can't quite figure this one out. It's pretty and sweet, but I can smell some spice in the wings.

My 2nd date went off great. I'm really liking this guy so far, but I'm trying to rein in any expectations. He wasn't able to get together til after 9pm, so it was a late night and now I'm yawning. But it was worth it! But that means still no painting was done in my spare room/boudoir. Good news was I wore VW Boudoir, and he said "ooooh you smell great". So that one goes in the pile for a decant!

Hello all!

Last edited by easyfish; 31st October 2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Currently wearing: Moods by Krizia

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Spooky greetings, favorite people — with special winks and nods to Furriner and Kiliwia and Elizrj above.

I feel up in the air not being able to continue our communion within our Chicago trip thread at the moment. I don't want to say too much more on the subject until the thread’s restored. Four days out from the weekend now, I think I've finally processed events and have them properly framed and hung on my wall of happy memories.

Can’t stop smelling my hands. Rtamara gave me an adorable angel-shaped soap from Merz (“we can see each other’s wings”), which I didn't want to wash with right away but instead have perched atop my fragrance cabinet looking down on my sink and me. In order to make it sit flat, I had to shave the angel’s bottom, and I've been washing with those shavings, which leave my hands smelling like honeyed sandalwood. It’s likely I’m going to need to get more angels.

It’s supposed to be a soggy, foggy day all day long. My dear Mr. and I have no/none/zilch/zero(!) obligations today, so I've hooked up the Mac Mini to the big plasma TV, and we’ll catch up on shows. Because I aim to please, I've sidestepped my other Chicago scent souvenirs in favor of Mr.’s favorite, Attache Moi, a resin stew of a fragrance that gets on fine with my angelic hands. (He smelled the Philosykos rollerball I purchased in Chicago and made THAT face—disgust and disbelief. Ha! That's why I didn't buy it in atomizer form, to spare you the exposure, sweetie.)

Forever a fan of New Orleans.

Jicky EdP, freshly bought. So far my fears seem to come true. Compared to my bottle from c. 6 years ago, the scent here is only half of what it used to be. The impact is reduced immensely, it's like a vampire: While it's certainly "there", it has no shadow. Is this understandable? A whole dimension is gone. Very sad.
    Last edited by Tristram; 31st October 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Basenotes Member

Avignon - because I'm dressed as a devil for halloween, and I thought the contrast between the costume and the catholic church incense scent was amusing.

SOTD: Lucid by House of Matriarch. This one has a lot of projection, and I am working in a cube farm full of people today, so I just sprayed a tiny bit on a cotton ball and dabbed it on myself.

Last night's SOTE was Cristina by Hilde Soliani. A very pretty patchouli-based scent. The Mr couldn't get enough of smelling it!

Basenotes Institution

Can't sleep now. Where else would one read about shaving the angel's butt and smelly shavings?

Tell you what, Mrs.Q. If your Chicago thread is not restored by this weekend (Nov.1), go ahead and start a new one. The bestest memories are the freshest memories, just like artisanal bread.

Hi everyone! What a fun thread today! easyfish, that pumpkin is CRAZY! And cute that you are in Costume National - I so wanted to love 21...just couldn't do it. And KBear, I think Avignon (another scent I appreciate but cannot wear--yikes--but I'm jealous of you guys who can pull that kind of scent off) is perfect for your devil costume!

Evangeline, elizrj, and Xscent, that is exactly the kind of grocery shopping I want to do. (I'm good without butcher and fishmonger, but sign me up for fresh produce, cheese, and bread!) E, I have never been to New Orleans but it is on my must-visit list. I have been trying to get my mom to go on a mother-daughter trip there for years, and it hasn't happened yet, but one day we will make it!

My department of underwriters just won the building's costume contest as the Queens and Kings of Denial!! Lots of people in my building dressed up; one of the cutest groups dressed as women from the movie The Birds and were in 60s outfits with blackbirds stuck to their clothes. It was so cool! However, I am proud to say that we stole the show.

I had to get out of costume, though, because I have an interview at 2:00! It is for the job I applied for a couple weeks ago. Cross your fingers for me! It would be a great opportunity and I am so hoping I get it!

Joining several of y'all in Chanel: 1932 for me today. In my haste running out the door this morning with bags of costumes and goodies I forgot to put on perfume, but luckily my little bit of 1932 from cello was in my purse and saved the day. Thinking it's a perfect interview scent!
    Last edited by ErinK; 31st October 2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: i can't not edit a post, just assume every time i post something it will get edited at least twice.

I'm late to the party today because I couldn't pick up my new computer until today.

Going again with SL Un Bois Vanille, which I am enjoying more this time around than when I originally sampled it several years ago.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Halloween!

Spending the day in my darkest, blackest scent (which got a comment from one of my co-workers - as it always does every time I wear it!):

Black Aoud by Montale

"All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

(((Wolfie))), you are such a trooper - have a nightcap on me

My transport frustrations finally ended today. In the aftermath of the overnight winds on Sunday the only train not running this week has been on the branch line I use for work. Around £70 down after forking out for taxis and buses but all is now restored to working order from today - hallelujah !. That cash had Fortnums or Harrods name on it, not Arriva or Goldline

A martyr to the cause .

SotD is Grossmith Golden Chypre.

(((Xscent and Twolf))) -- I hope restful sleep comes to you both.

ErinK, I loved your post yesterday. I feel your pain. Omaha has virtually none of the options you long for -- nearly all big box stores, Super-this and Super-that -- other than one small local grocer with a great meat counter and deli. But it's still a grocery store, just on a smaller scale. I would love a different kind of shopping experience, but I'm here for the next 12 years or so

Shockingly, I'm in Parfumerie Generale again today; this time, it's Aomassai. I love its toasted nutty warmth.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see more of the Chicago photos 😄
    Currently wearing: Aleksandr by Arquiste