Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Lyric and Epic - how to ID reformulated versions?

I'd like to add bottles of Epic Woman and Lyric Woman to my collection. After reading negative opinions of recent examples of these, I'd prefer to get the original versions rather than the reformulations.

Is there a way to tell this based on the packaging? I've compared my boxes of recent Amouage products with the older ones and can't come up with anything definite.

I own the men's versions of both Epic and Lyric, but I'm not that familiar with the women's versions. I'm not sure if I could identify a reformulation or original version based on smelling just one of them.

Can anyone give some guidelines, whether packaging or olfactory, to help me find a vintage version?

Thanks.

Default Re: Amouage Lyric and Epic - how to ID reformulated versions?

From memory, these should be the early boxes, sorry, no idea about the current ones.
    Unfortunately, boxes don't always remain here!
    It may not be relevant as it may still be the case, but early boxes did have a 'we do not test on animals' notice on the ingredient labels, which were only on the boxes.

My Lyric has been 'lent' to a family member...from memory again, it was a very 'rich' fragrance and longevity was excellent, the rose being prominent, although it wasn't a particularly strong fragrance by Amouage standards.

I had a newer bottle of Lyric for a very short while and am rationing the Epic, which is a wonderful and very powerful, long lasting spicy, incense beastie - one of my favourites from that period of Amouage issues.
    Epic_Womens_bottlebox-Amouage.jpg $(KGrHqF,!nUFJD1HyuBeBSTzZW2ib!~~60_57.jpg

Does anyone who knew the originals know the current versions in order to compare please?
    Last edited by lpp; 31st October 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Not sure which version I have (bought it end of 2012 from Harrods) but my Epic Man is quite strong and very potent.

The box is like the one in lpp's post for Lyric.But then, this is the man version...

Interesting point about the animal testing statement on the box. Don't think mine has that.

Are you sure they've been reformulated?? I think it's important to establish that reformulations have actually taken place before you go out of your way to track down something older. I've seen some differing opinions, but nothing I'd consider definitive. I own Lyric - my bottle is from 2009 and it's rich and voluptuous and luxuriously rosy, as expected. I only did a quick sniff of the current stuff out of curiosity (due to these rumors) but I really can't tell the difference between mine and what's in stores now.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Evangeline, no, I'm not sure about it. I'm making an assumption based on a number of recent descriptions by members of this site and others which describe some Amouage fragrances as diluted when compared with older bottles.

I'm not surprised by some of the older ones such as Gold, Silver, or Ubar being reformulated, but am dismayed by the possible reformulation of more recent fragrances which are only 4-5 years old.

If reformulation occurred, it must've been pretty recently, maybe in 2011 or 2012.

If I can't figure it out I'll simply use my nose and buy them or not buy them based on what I smell and if I like them. Of course I have smelled them before, but not in detail, and never got around to buying them. I thought I'd have longer to do so before any reformulations took place! I'm sure any reformulated versions smell good, but why get something good when you can get something great?

I'm pretty sure there's older stock in my area, but how to identify it?

I'm hoping that the members who have reported these changes will reply to this thread.

It is quite possible that the 2013 versions will differ more than previous alterations, if other fragrances are any indication.

I have never looked at the boxes, but the bottles, as far as I can tell, are the same.

I have smelled a recent Lyric woman from a sample a perplexed BNer sent me (she was wondering whether they had mistakenly switched it with Lyric man) and another BN confirmed with a separate bottle she bought, and what we smelled is definitely lighter and weaker, without the deep winey aspect of the original (the other BNer called it "Lyric water"). I don't know if it was just a bad batch or a permanent reformulation. Note that testers in stores could be older batches, so they are not necessarily an indication of what one will get in the bottle.

There was a thread about the reformulation of Lyric woman, but I don't know if it's available already post-migration.

cacio

Several online retailers (many of the discount ones) often ship older stock of fragrance. It might be worthwhile explaining the scenario to a company like Lilydirect and asking if they could possibly check their purchase order dates for you. Could be fruitless but perhaps it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by deadidol; 31st October 2013 at 04:14 PM.

So far the ONLY word on Lyric Woman I have seen ANYWHERE is what cacio mentions (see above) and I haven't heard anybody mention changes to Epic Woman, Noggs

That said, anything is possible given the IFRA / EU regulators intent on destroying the industry so perhaps you could ask the stockist(s) if they have stuff from earlier shipments?

I own both and sincerely hope they are still available in the form I know and love because they are exceptional pieces of work - I personally prefer them both to the respective Man versions.

Hmmm. That's good to hear, mr. reasonable. Maybe I'm getting confused by the threads about Homage and Tribute. I remember, well at least I think I remember, reading more comments than cacio's about Lyric and Epic, but I could be mistaken.

I'll poke around and see if I can find any of these comments. Might be kind of difficult with the latest data migration being incomplete. Or maybe I'll just forget about and let my nose make the decision.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.