Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - November 2013

lt's not quite midnight here yet, & so not quite November, but there seems little pointing in starting another October thread now!

Today l tried the second of my Goutals recently blind-bought from TK Maxx; Ninfeo Mio.

This opens with a bright & tart citrus accord; mostly lemon & grapefruit to my nose, with a leafy, herbaceous edge. The fig is there, but it seems very much a supporting player to the citrus & leafy notes. l swear there is a strong note of tomato leaf here, & perhaps some blackcurrant bud; it reminds me a lot of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau. There are also shades of Fils de Dieu here, with that Thai green curry accord of lemongrass, lime leaf & coconut, except that NM is not as sweet; not remotely. ln fact this one is very dry & almost sharp; it would cut through the heat & humidity of summer perfectly. There is a trace of lavender & a little incense in the heart, but otherwise this fragrance carries the citrus-herbal notes way into the drydown. The projection is excellent, & it's still going after twelve hours on my skin.

This may be just a little too sharp for me, but l need to try it in hot weather, as l think l will enjoy it more then. That means a wait of several months now, of course, but l can wait...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sample of the Day - November 2013

Woo Hoo - let's get this party started ! Thanks for the new thread for this month Teardrop . Hugs !

Violette Fumee EDP Intense
    Mona di Orio

Notes of : lavender, bergamot, oakmoss, violet leaves and flowers, turkish rose, vetiver, clary sage, opoponax, myrrh and cashmeran .

amonajoreon.jpg
    This scent was personally created for Jeroen Oude Sogtoen by Mona di Orio whom is remembered with great fondness and love by the perfume community .

aviolet.jpg
    In a nutshell-Violette Fumee is a beauty.
    It's very strange - all the reviews I have read of Violette Fumee so far have described progressive single notes as the perfume opens and unfolds. Having worn this for a little bit - I get no distinctive notes standing out ( apart from the obvious - violet ) but instead I get a really very blended distinctive aroma.
    Papery small violets and light woods . Aromatic , diffusive, elegant.
    On my skin, it is not especially sweet nor especially tart in any way .I get no smoke at all .
    There is a fragility about this scent - a wispiness and yet also a feeling of quiet strength . Very yin and yang- masculine and feminine. Very balanced.
    It's absolutely gorgeous .Violette Fumee just simmers gently on my skin with good longevity and average sillage I guess but the quality is just superb.
    Many thanks to Joreon Oude Sogtoen for making Violette Fumee available for us all .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 1st November 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks for starting, teardrop!

Those do sound interesting, must order some more samples again...

Edit - O.K., so, dug deep into the sample bag & found 'Lady Vengeance' by Juliette Has a Gun.
    Sort of perm day at the hairdresser rosy patchouli vanilla.
    Sorry.
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd November 2013 at 11:50 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Crushing Bloom EDP
    Tom Daxon

acrushingbloom.jpg

Notes of lily of the valley, cardamom, pink pepper, black pepper, rose, jasmine, iris, oakmoss, vetiver , silken musks

This is Tom Daxon's first foray into a floral scent.
    It is exquisite and in some ways quite a delicate floral with a truly muguet note.
    Opens lemony , tart and green too and then followed by the clasic duo of rose and jasmine. All the while, this remains a lighter airy scent - never dense or cloying. At first it brought Chanel's Cristalle EDP to mind .As Crushing Bloom progressed - I thought of Chamade .
    Pink pepper, black pepper, cardamom - where ??
    In fact at times , Crushing Bloom reminds me of that ever elusive natural star jasmine scent of late spring, early summer.
    The silken musks do provide that velvety touch - the musks are all clean of course.
    In the dry down , I am left with more greenery and musk.
    in all ,it is really very very lovely.
    If you love Chamade,Cristalle ( both EDP and EDT ) ,Diorissimo EDT - you will most likely approve of this. Highly wearable and smells of quality .

Hello all, and thanks for the lovely sniffing reports.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille, which I have tried multiple times, is my sample today.

This one is bitter vanilla, not sweet in the least to me. The gaiac wood possibly is the culprit for keeping this sure footed and out of the cupcake zone, which I appreciate. It is soft and fairly linear on this skin, but has decent longevity at 6 hours or so. When I tire of my thick, syrup sweet woods (and others such as SDV), this is a decant that I reach for.
    It reminds me of Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser, or should I say the other way around since the SL came first, with it's tart, bitterish and wood tinged take on vanilla.
    Good stuff.

Splash Bottles Suck

I received 4 mls of vanilla heaven from luckyscent today - samples of Profumum Vanitas, Agonist Vanille Marble, Van Cleefs and Arpels Orchidee Vanille, and the recently reissued Indult Tihota. (*Drool*) First impessions:

Agonist Vanille Marble: Very deep, rich vanilla mixed with tropical florals, not too foody or sweet, smells to be of high quality ingredients. Can imagine it would have great sillage and longevity sprayed from a full bottle. More of a winter scent. Quite linear, lingers for hours as a deep tropical floral mixed with vanilla. UPDATE: after a second wearing, this is quite sweet; there is also a prominent almond note throughout the composition.

Van Cleefs Orchidee Vanille: Very nice, lighter, well-behaved, more abstract vanilla centered-composition that is not gourmand - I put this in the same camp as Diptyque Eau Duelle and Le Labo Vanille 44. I like it very much. Very nice to reach for if you are not a vanilla-freak and just want a hint of vanilla on cold, dreary days. I plan to do a side-by-side comparison with Eau Duelle. It is expensive stuff but it can currently be found a bit cheaper on ebay.

Indult Tihota: High quality, straight up vanilla scent. Vanilla and not much else. Very rich but also sheerer/airier than Montale Vanille Absolu, which is a straight-up vanilla bomb. Plan to do a side-by-side comparision of these as well.

Profumum Vanitas: This one I am most confused by. Starts with a kind of sharp Myrrhe mixed with a plasticky/synthetic smell. Quiet down quickly into a kind of plasticky cotton candy scent, then disappears quickly. I've read Profumum fragrances have great longevity, however wearing dabs of all four of these frags on different places on my arms, the Tihota, Orchidee Vanille and Vanille Marble are still very present on my skin but the Vanitas is not, it has vanished. This one is a no-go, which is a relief to my bank account as it is $240 a bottle.

Cello, your comparison of Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser to UBV makes me want to try that one too!
    Last edited by Wingie; 9th November 2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Second Wearing

Basenotes Institution

Mmmmmm - vanillas- and some of the best too. Thanks ! I love Tihota and Montale Vanille Absolu which was a vanilla and some smoke on me.
    Vanitas reminded me very much of Ava Luxe Angel Face or Doll Face- one or the other. Very nice to me but considering Ava Luxe came up with it first , I did not consider it that original .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Mmmmm, Vanille Marble sounds lovely, thanks Wingie!

l was underwhelmed by Vanitas, too.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Tested two quite popular and hyped flankers today: Joop Homme Wild and Paco Rabanne One Million Intense. To my surprise, actually quite good fragrances- in my personal opinion- so popularity is not always indirectly proportional to a pleasant scent.

Oud for Love

Slightly green for a few seconds at opening, quickly developing into a dry and sweet spiced whole complimented by subtle florals, beautifully blended with oud in a way where the balance of oud and other elements is so fine you can feel every note individually yet simultaneously all falls into the most enchanting symphony. The oud and spiced base becoming more prominent throughout the fragrances progression through the heart, at drydown the oud fades and sweet spices remain as a rootsy vetiver adds interest from late drydown to the close.

What's not to like? BD's trick of presenting density in a transparent way allows what are very rich components never to overwhelm. Perhaps not as intellectually gripping as Oud Shamash, but engaging and satisfying nonetheless. A gorgeous wear.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Splash Bottles Suck

By Kilian Beyond Love

...............TO DIE FOR.

Just wanted to share