Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Default Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I've seen this mentioned.. Does anybody have any insight on it?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I wouldn't be surprised. I like the fragrance, but I don't think it has been selling well.

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,076

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    This would be the first I have heard this. Curious as to where you saw this mentioned.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I doubt it will be discontinued. It takes a lot for Creed to axe something from their history.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    It's a phenomenal fragrance so I would doubt it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  6. #6
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Just checked this very question recently with a Creed rep who had quite a bit of reliable news, as always. NOTHING to indicate any change in status.

    When first launched, Creed alluded to the fact that the farmed oud in the formula (however much there actually is) has a very thin supply line, and cannot be guaranteed forever. That doesn't mean it has to be discontinued, but it always presents a risk.

    I certainly hope this one stays - it is my personal "Spice and Wood and Oud" scent.
    * * * *

  7. #7

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    WHEW ! That's good to know...I got a little worried !

  8. #8
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,390

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I would hope not, as it is one of the few Creeds I like...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I hope not, just In case I got a full bottle in reserve...love this Juice, can you say master piece.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

  10. #10

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I've seen this mentioned.. Does anybody have any insight on it?
    I spoke to a Creed rep at NM in Tampa as well, and they said Royal Oud is NOT being discontinued.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    If so, that would be a shame. One of Creed's best IMO.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping that's correct. I'd hate to see this one go anywhere.. good stuff.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    If a picture is worth a 1,000 words then Creed Royal Oud is worth is worth 10,000 words.... One of the best Creed scents' of our time.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    No way!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    That would be a shame if it did happen but if some of the raw materials are in short supply then they may produce smaller quantities for a short while but who knows!!!!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    The Oud in Royal Oud is synthetic just like in the vast majority of fragrances, I even can detect the Firmenich Oud used in this one.
    That whole farmed Oud story is just PR bullshit lol.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Im not sure it's relevant...maybe the synthetic is in short supply or it's become more expensive and Creed can't justify the price increase it would cause.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    This is a very good fragrance and it's troubling to hear of a quick exit if in fact that is true. I always wondered why it just came as a 2.5oz instead of the bigger sizes for most in this house. Perhaps the acquiring of the raw materials to compose the scent?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by nelbert View Post
    Im not sure it's relevant...maybe the synthetic is in short supply or it's become more expensive and Creed can't justify the price increase it would cause.
    LOL, its a synthetic molecule and faily cheap to buy, its never in short supply. I have no issues with synthetic agarwood, M7, which is one of my fav fragrance is composed with synthetic oud. Creed released a smaller bottle, because there is a prestige image surrounding Oud, formulating it in a smaller botttle gives the impression,they are using the real thing and that its in short supply.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I dunno but some synthetics are very expensive to produce. In fact there is an interview kicking around of Erwin Creed saying something along the lines of - the reason for one of the latest round of Creed price rises was that certain raw materials are now banned and have to be replaced with more synthetics, therfore pushing the production costs up. - I got no idea what synthetics he was alluding to but if the price for a 75ml bottle of Royal Oud went much higher then I doubt it would sell very well at all.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    It was Bergamot being referred to in the video, from memory.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    The Oud in Royal Oud is synthetic just like in the vast majority of fragrances, I even can detect the Firmenich Oud used in this one.
    That whole farmed Oud story is just PR bullshit lol.
    Agreed!!! That stated, I would also agree that Royal Oud is one of the better recent Creeds. This discontinuation is all speculation and likely something that Creed thrives on. Until stated by the manufacturer or somehow confirmed by a reliable source, why do we continue to do this to ourselves???

  23. #23
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by nelbert View Post
    I dunno but some synthetics are very expensive to produce. In fact there is an interview kicking around of Erwin Creed saying something along the lines of - the reason for one of the latest round of Creed price rises was that certain raw materials are now banned and have to be replaced with more synthetics, therfore pushing the production costs up. - I got no idea what synthetics he was alluding to but if the price for a 75ml bottle of Royal Oud went much higher then I doubt it would sell very well at all.
    Reformulation is a real business cost at all levels, from the perfumer on down. And aromachems are not cheap, either, as everybody who has ever had to pay for fancy organics knows. The economics of "smells like" can be surprising.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * * * *

  24. #24

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Creed to discontinue a fragrance, and not a very good one at that...never...only to resurrect it as a limited edition leather atomizer for $1200.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by nelbert View Post
    I dunno but some synthetics are very expensive to produce. In fact there is an interview kicking around of Erwin Creed saying something along the lines of - the reason for one of the latest round of Creed price rises was that certain raw materials are now banned and have to be replaced with more synthetics, therfore pushing the production costs up. - I got no idea what synthetics he was alluding to but if the price for a 75ml bottle of Royal Oud went much higher then I doubt it would sell very well at all.
    LOOOL. FIrstly synthetics are relatively inexpensive to produce. Opurs are expensive. That interview was in reference to the Bergamot and Birch in Aventus, which has to be altered because of IFRA regulations. Agreed price for certain raw materials do go up, but synthetics are a different story. Houses like Creed, as other members have mentioned thrive on hype, prestige and exclusivity which all increase profit margins. Creed is very focused on expanding its profit margins. Royal Oud is quite synthetic to begin with, not that I have an issue with that but I do not forsee it leaving the market any time soon. If fragrance companies told customers they use oud molecules , rather than exotic agarwood from the Jungles of Assam it would not be good for their company image.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 3rd November 2013 at 02:23 AM.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Hopefully it stays.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by AceFace View Post
    That would be a shame if it did happen but if some of the raw materials are in short supply then they may produce smaller quantities for a short while but who knows!!!!
    How you gonna steal my avatar glory and then add me as friend? You getting turnt-up on the 1849 juice I see lol hehehe.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    No way!
    Yes Way.... Im laughing at how I remember fuckin' hating this scent a year ago when given a sample of Royal Oud which often gave me headaches, and literally trying to wash it off my skin cause it smelled like a smoked butt of a Newport. Now fast-forwarding to now; I own a bottle and truly appreciate this scent. This is a MAN's cologne. Bottomline.

    Creed Royal is so amazing.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Yep, it's a keeper. Mine had a subtle all-day presence for me yesterday. Smells fantastic, but it is a tad subtle. Still a beauty.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I LOVE this one. But they have discontinued more great fragrances than some houses have produced. Anyway, I haven't heard anything about discontinuation, and would be a little surprised. And very disappointed.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    If fragrance companies told customers they use oud molecules , rather than exotic agarwood from the Jungles of Assam it would not be good for their company image.
    My local Creed rep told me that not only they use "rare and precious oud" in RO, but also "help local villagers in remote rural communities in India" while doing that.

    Very nice! (in Borat's voice) And mighty helpful of them to mention "oud" right on the label, otherwise you'd never know just by smelling RO

  31. #31

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    ^ lol

  32. #32

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    My local Creed rep told me that not only they use "rare and precious oud" in RO, but also "help local villagers in remote rural communities in India" while doing that.

    Very nice! (in Borat's voice) And mighty helpful of them to mention "oud" right on the label, otherwise you'd never know just by smelling RO
    Excellent Igor! Finally, a laugh after a bad day. Thank you!

  33. #33

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Glad I made you laugh, Eric I should say that even though the idyllic depiction of "entire communities being able to sustain and continue their traditional lifestyle" (that for centuries apparently consisted of hauling aluminium canisters stamped "Oud Synthetic 10760 E" straight out of the ancient Assamese jungle) cracked me up, we ended up having a nice chat with the Creed rep and he loved a couple of pure oud oils I had in my oud essentials EDC (everyday carry) kit.

    I doubt RO is selling very well, even with all the manufactured mystique and creative marketing fairytales. It's still a very niche product, far less versatile and appealing to the general public than Creed's staple men's offerings. I see RO at local discount stores all the time priced about $80 less than Aventus, so it's probably not exactly flying off the shelves. But I would be surprised if they killed it off completely - after all these days any self-respecting house is obligated to carry one (or a dozen, heeheee...) "oud" fragrance and Creed still sells many that smell antiquated today. I am sure they'll continue carrying it, or as someone above suggested - declare it "returned to the vault" lamenting the scarcity and un-attainability of oud only to "reluctantly" offer it a few years later in a "limited" quantity, in silly crystal flacons at an appropriately ridiculous price.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Glad to hear it will still be around since it's quite well liked on here. I enjoyed it, but got very poor longevity.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    That interview was in reference to the Bergamot and Birch in Aventus, which has to be altered because of IFRA regulations.
    Um... Aventus reformulation? ... x_x

  36. #36

    Default Re: Royal Oud to be discontinued?

    I doubt Royal Oud is selling well, but it doesn't have to sell well. I'm not a Creed Fanboy, but I have a ton of experience with building and maintaining a brand identity, and I have to say that Creed really does an excellent job with their branding. Common sense says that if a product isn't selling well, it'll be discontinued. But you have to think beyond that sort of simplicity when maintaining a successful brand identity - especially with a brand like Creed that makes a majority of their profit from a few mainstream scents. They stay firmly in the niche market by having a catalogue of lower selling niche scents. In my opinion, Aventus is a brilliantly crafted mainstream scent. I don't mean that as a slam. If it were sold at $72 and sold at Macy's and Sephora, it would fly off the shelves. It's been a huge success even at its price point, but if Creed started making more scents like it, they'd damage their brand. Why? ...because Creed's customer base would think Creed is going mainstream.

    A huge part of the reason Creed can release a mainstream scent like Aventus, MI or GIT without their customers thinking they're going mainstream is that they also release more challenging scents like Royal Oud that appeal to those of us who can appreciate them. Royal Oud may not sell well in comparison to Creed's more high profile scents, but it doesn't have to. Creed releases scents like Royal Oud in order to maintain their niche cred, so to speak. It's branding, and it's brilliant.

    See also, 1849, which dammmmmit, I still have yet to get my nose on (though that's probably for the best since it's some really pricey juice!)
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Similar Threads

  1. New house "royal crown - tabac royal & musk ubar thoughts
    By thebeck in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21st January 2012, 05:02 PM
  2. Royal Water Lotus and Vanilla Musk / Royal Egyptian Amber and Honeysuckle
    By N_Tesla in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th January 2011, 12:37 AM
  3. [CREED] Royal English Leather vs Royal Delight?
    By Merlino in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 4th April 2008, 02:18 AM
  4. Creed Royal Water or Royal Bust?
    By Maz24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20th December 2007, 05:55 PM
  5. Creed Royal Delight vs. Royal Water
    By CHARDKAY in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd November 2004, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •