Code of Conduct

Default Hiddeous comparisons...

Antaeus vintage and modern day Antaeus: vintage, hands down.

Oscar de la Renta vintage and modern day Oscar: the actual one. The vintage is way too much, suffocating, really.

Givenchy Gentleman vintage and its modern day one: this last one. It has more longevity and it does not project that much. Simpler, though.

Bel Ami vintage and the modern day one: this last one. Same as Givenchy Gentleman.

Prereformulated Monsieur de Givenchy and the actual one: the vintage one. The actual one is nothing more nor nothing less than an EdC.

VC&A vintage vs the actual one: the actual one, but the orginal one felt as an Amouage. The vintage one was almost a femenine frragrance that was too much to be pulled off by a guy. It conveyed the image of a 50 yo man relatd to the maffia, wearing gold chains and driving a high end car.

Equipage vintage vs. the actual one: the vintage one. The actual one lost longevity and feels flatter.

Paco Rabanne vintage vs the actual one: they both reek "hey, I had sex all the weekend long". Today's smells "thinner".

Obsession: the actual one is a wimp. I missed the old one.

M7? The vinatge one was mre dense. The actual one has a clearer olfative structure.

Will get back as to more technical reasons for my preferences.

Default Re: Hiddeous comparisons...

Not sure I understand the title. LOL. You can prefer what you like, but in some cases there are multiple formulations. In any case, I don't find that my vintage Oscar Pour Lui is especially strong. Perhaps it has lost some top notes, but it's a sealed spray with the dark glass. The reason why I almost always want vintage involves the richness and depth it has, which reformulations rarely do. Even if they are decent, they are still not as good by comparison. The new Vermeil is interesting because it is a kind of mini-me Kouros, whereas the original possessed really sweet castoreum, which of course isn't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    The current is just a mere shell of the original. It's pretty lame I agree. The old stuff is to die for IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

O heck! And I thought the current Anateus (the only one I know) was goooood.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Are you talking about vintage versions compared to current versions? If so, then the most "hideous" for me would be M7. Reform hideous, Oud Absolue hideous.

Also, D&G PH. German version is meh, current UK version....HIDEOUS!

Mind that VC & A PH has three versions, Paco Rabanne pour homme has at least 4 versions, M7, incl. Oud Absolu has three, so I wonder which one you actually smelled. Original vintage of Paco Rabanne smells already pretty different from the 80's formulation and completely! different from current with the big 'PR' logo.

To add: Orinal vintage Kouros vs white shouldered L'Oreal bottle, Dolce & Gabbana PH vintage vs German Version vs UK version, Cool Water, Zino etc. I prefer real vintage of all by far and they all differ a lot from current formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

Oscar de la Renta vintage and modern day Oscar: the actual one. The vintage is way too much, suffocating, really.

Givenchy Gentleman vintage and its modern day one: this last one. It has more longevity and it does not project that much. Simpler, though.

Bel Ami vintage and the modern day one: this last one. Same as Givenchy Gentleman.

Prereformulated Monsieur de Givenchy and the actual one: the vintage one. The actual one is nothing more nor nothing less than an EdC.

VC&A vintage vs the actual one: the actual one, but the orginal one felt as an Amouage. The vintage one was almost a femenine frragrance that was too much to be pulled off by a guy. It conveyed the image of a 50 yo man relatd to the maffia, wearing gold chains and driving a high end car.

Equipage vintage vs. the actual one: the vintage one. The actual one lost longevity and feels flatter.

Paco Rabanne vintage vs the actual one: they both reek "hey, I had sex all the weekend long". Today's smells "thinner".

Obsession: the actual one is a wimp. I missed the old one.

M7? The vinatge one was mre dense. The actual one has a clearer olfative structure.

Will get back as to more technical reasons for my preferences.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I've never worn the newer version of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui, but I do own two bottles of the vintage. I also don't find it projects too much, but it does last quite a long time. It has a very 'rich' feel.

Hey, thanks for your replies! I will be answering to them later (actually, I am at my job...).

Edit: Sorry for the gross orthographic mistake.

What I mean is that comparissons are hideous: usually they are too subjective and one of the items being compared is left in a worst position than the other.

As I said, this is very personal: all my observations should be taken as so.

What does get my attention is that in some cases we all agree, that is what I want to check.

For example, for those having the chance of trying the vintage and the regular Antaeus, I am 100 % sure they will classify the vintage one as much better than the regular one.

Now, as to the extensive kind of reformulations, now that is where I am lost.

I know VC&A had three; the vintage, the one that was bland, the improved one by Interparfums. I am referring to this last one.

I have two OdlRs, the new one is good but not as strong, the old one, as I said, is really heavy.

Just to wrap it up: vintage blends feel deeper and rounded, heavier and more complex. It might not be one's cup of tea for every single blend around, but, well, most reformulations ended up "thinning" blends.
    Last edited by Pollux; 1st November 2013 at 05:45 PM.

The reformulated version of DHI is pretty good compared to the original IMO (less iris).

Possibly also vintage Gucci Envy for Men compared to the more recent one (considering that, most likely, most/any batches may be discontinued, off the market). Hard to tell if any of the two was hideous, since they were both well-made fragrances. But the vintage was altogether fresher, more mint-dominated and more spice to show for than mere ginger, at least to my nose. The newer one, while still a good fragrance, has little to offer excepting a far more ginger-dominated sweetness.

Vintage Pasha and Santos by Cartier are much better than the new formulations, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    Vintage Pasha and Santos by Cartier are much better than the new formulations, imo.
    For sure ! The current Santos is just embarrassing. Why they would gut such a fragrance is beyond me. They may as well have discontinued it. People will always blame others (IFRA, EU....etc). This is all Cartier's fault. They could have put in the time, money and effort into getting a better fragrance composed.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: Hideous comparisons...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    For sure ! The current Santos is just embarrassing. Why they would gut such a fragrance is beyond me. They may as well have discontinued it. People will always blame others (IFRA, EU....etc). This is all Cartier's fault. They could have put in the time, money and effort into getting a better fragrance composed.
    Yap. I was sent a sample of Santos Concentrée by Aromi, and from then on, decided to buy a bottle in a duty free shop. Poor me, I did not realize that Aromi's sample was from a vintage bottle while the one I bought was... the reformulated version.

I don't like to bash colognes in reviews, but, well, just think of my opinions on it.

Now, sometimes desperate meassures might be useful:

- layer vintage w/ reformulated versions
    - layer compatible scents (VC&A with a touch of First, for example).
    - layer cheap smell - alike oils with the reformulated one. I am presently doing this with Polo's latest reformulation and it is working better than wearing it alone. This according to MHO and my Wife - OK, she might be thinking I am getting nuts so chances are she is saying this in order to cut this discussion out.

DHI isn't an example of what I'd call a "sneaky reformulation," in which the public is given no information about significant changes. Turning 1-12 into a bubble bath scent is one of the worst of these, IMO.

This makes no sense

Banned
    Blog Entries

Jean Paul's new reformulation which some say have poor projection

Vintage Balafre and and Lancome's current re-issue in their "Collections Series" which I got to try in Paris in July. A very bad re-interpretation of a classic. (542)
    Last edited by hednic; 16th November 2013 at 03:03 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I love love love the 2010 version of Fougere Royale but in all fairness I have not smelled the vintage version but I really don't want to....the new version to me is all I need or care for...

Basenotes Junkie

What does "the actual one " mean. I am lost reading this.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    This makes no sense
    Sorry, what is that that does not make sense? I can't get your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    What does "the actual one " mean. I am lost reading this.
    If you refer to "Oscar de la Renta vintage and modern day Oscar: the actual one. The vintage is way too much, suffocating, really." I am referring to its present day formulation.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.