Code of Conduct

Talking NEW ELdO - The End of the World

Their newest offering is La Fin du Monde (The End of The World), a mercifully none-too-serious look at the Apocalypse. And what a scent it is! a wild blend of pop-corn, cumin and sesame, cannon powder, orris, black pepper....the Gotterdammerung in your own bottle

Sounds interesting at least

Default Re: NEW ELdO - The End of the World

Already available on the ELDO web page for purchase and Parfum1 has told me that they plan on carrying it soon. Sounds interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

will pass!

def looking to test drive this one...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aquil View Post
    def looking to test drive this one...
    Yeah-- same here -- just to smell what an accord of popcorn and cannon powder is like

Just read the perfumer is Quentin Bisch the perfume student in the BBC documentary. If you caught it you may remember him getting emotional on camera recalling how he felt on being accepted by Givauden for study. Must be a dream come true for the young man to get a brief from such a cool independant company.

Guerlainista

I'm really looking forward to this one! Reports from Pitti indicate that's it's sort of a niche Dior Homme.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Interesting at least!!! I wish ELDO fragrances had less common basenotes- most of those I have tried- a dozen- just die of boredom after a couple of hours for me.
    Gun powder must be the ultimate in perfumery- the new L'Artisan line features this note in all three fragrances. To be completely honest I wasn't able to detect it...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

After l'Artisan Parfumeur's successful Explosion d'Emotion series on sweet & unconventional notes, I'm excited to try ELdO's take too.
    Well they do have another sweet one - Bubblegum et Encens.

for swap/sale:

I smelled it at the ELDO shop in London last week. I can certainly smell the resemblance to Dior Homme. But after a while that changed. It has been going strong on the tester strip since then. I can't speak for gunpowder or popcorn, but I got a lot of iris. I'll look forward to other people's impressions and I'll probably try on skin next.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I smelled it at the ELDO shop in London last week. I can certainly smell the resemblance to Dior Homme. But after a while that changed. It has been going strong on the tester strip since then. I can't speak for gunpowder or popcorn, but I got a lot of iris. I'll look forward to other people's impressions and I'll probably try on skin next.
    Thanks for sharing your first impressions.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

With this one, I suspect no one will have reason to complain if it doesn't have much longevity.

Thanks Kagey -- I was hoping orris wasn't the main player, but it sounds as though it has been aimed at the winter months. Doesn't sound all that 'wild' though?

This has been described by many as an *easy one*. I've to say that the pairing of *easy one* and *Dior Homme* made me fall from pre-loving it but I'm still pretty curious to see what they've done here...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Very easy one, I think. The orris is the strongest note for me, but I also smell the cold and flinty aspect. Someone somewhere described it as that smell after you shoot a cap gun, and it's true! There's also something slightly astringent in the background, but I can't make out exactly what it is. I don't smell popcorn at all, which is disappointing, but then I haven't given this a full wearing, I've just been testing on my arm. The other morning, I woke up and found that the far drydown was sort of an oakmossy salty twang, which I love.

All in all, though, I think it's quite tame and easy to wear. And great if you like iris/orris.

Still no signs of this Stateside, but I constantly keep an eye out for it. Hopefully soon. (502)

I actually find Orris to be 'cold and flinty' in itself. I like the sound of a salty oakmoss drydown though.

Very easy one, I think. The orris is the strongest note for me, but I also smell the cold and flinty aspect. Someone somewhere described it as that smell after you shoot a cap gun, and it's true! There's also something slightly astringent in the background, but I can't make out exactly what it is. I don't smell popcorn at all, which is disappointing, but then I haven't given this a full wearing, I've just been testing on my arm. The other morning, I woke up and found that the far drydown was sort of an oakmossy salty twang, which I love.

All in all, though, I think it's quite tame and easy to wear. And great if you like iris/orris.
    This is not good news for me as I have too long a wish list already. I was hoping the popcorn would be there so I could write it off. Iris and gunpowder and salty moss sounds very good to me!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    This is not good news for me as I have too long a wish list already. I was hoping the popcorn would be there so I could write it off. Iris and gunpowder and salty moss sounds very good to me!
    Make room in your wardrobe. Have been informed that Parfum 1 will be getting it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Make room in your wardrobe. Have been informed that Parfum 1 will be getting it soon!
    Ow, haha. Noted. Thanks hednic!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I've tried it today on a wrist.
    I can't say I'm impressed, I find it quite sweet, dense and a bit cloying.
    Something buttered and caramelized in the opening, a definite metallic, slightly sulfuric note at a certain point, a lot of immortelle, an ambery- peppery drydown. Couldn't detect iris- but it has a powdery, velvety finish.
    "it's the end of the world as we know it"?!!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Every comment I read positive or negative makes me want to get my hands on this. Still waiting to reach here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kusum65 View Post
    Just read the perfumer is Quentin Bisch the perfume student in the BBC documentary. If you caught it you may remember him getting emotional on camera recalling how he felt on being accepted by Givauden for study. Must be a dream come true for the young man to get a brief from such a cool independant company.
    That's enough to make me sample it right there! That kid is extremely awesome!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Every comment I read positive or negative makes me want to get my hands on this. Still waiting to reach here.
    Me too! Popcorn and cap guns - sounds like we're about to have the parents take us to see yet another Godzilla movie! End of the world!

Not sure what iris is doing there, but I'm willing to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Popcorn and cap guns - sounds like we're about to have the parents take us to see yet another Godzilla movie! End of the world!
    LOL!!

Just received my 100ml of this today from Parfum1. My first impressions are very positive.
    (1575)

I've tried it a bunch of times and while it's probably not one of their best fragrances to date, it is still an incredibly solid end thoroughly enjoyable fragrance. Very very nice.

I posted my full review both on the BN database and on my blog.

Interesting that a few of you are talking about this positively. It seemed like all the initial reviews I read were rather negative. I'll have to look into it.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 14th December 2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Just received my 100ml of this today from Parfum1. My first impressions are very positive.
    (1575)
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I've tried it a bunch of times and while it's probably not one of their best fragrances to date, it is still an incredibly solid end thoroughly enjoyable fragrance. Very very nice.

I posted my full review both on the BN database and on my blog.
    Great review - and I see that you've scored some very impressive interviews in the last few weeks. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Great review - and I see that you've scored some very impressive interviews in the last few weeks. Wow!
    Thanks Redneck. Actually they all originally appeared on the BN's articles section.

"If the french revolution were done with Uzis instead of pitchforks, this is what Paris would have smelled like!" (Quote from Alfarom's review)

That's probably the coolest description of a perfume that I have ever read on Basenotes! Just epic!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    "If the french revolution were done with Uzis instead of pitchforks, this is what Paris would have smelled like!" (Quote from Alfarom's review)

That's probably the coolest description of a perfume that I have ever read on Basenotes! Just epic!
    Thank you, I'm humbled

On a side note, the more I try La Fin Du Monde, the more I like it!

La Fin du Monde strikes me at once for its penetrating indolic floral exhalations (along the first minutes slightly orangy, spicy, minimally earthy and alcoholic) which are effectively pervaded by opposite vibes in a game of heavenly juxtapositions (partially balmy/floral, veined by secret suede rising from the back i suppose, minimally grassy/rooty and slightly ambery/carnal). I don't endorse this fragrance for a great originality (which is not "in the things", i don't dare to quote the concept of uniqueness which in the feminine perfumery is almost out of the God's mind indeed) but do it (just) partially for the high quality of the implemented materials and because of its extreme balance and subtleness. I catch immediately a really peppery and aromatic (due to an inebriating cumin) aroma of floral pollen (rose/freesia, may be mimosa plus balmy notes, more than iris in this phase) which is slightly botanical (due to a moderate earthy/vegetable feel provided by carrot seed) but by soon at once incredibly balmy, almost lacteous/buttery as ideally for the caress by an heavenly idratating foam. In this phase i'm sure to detect a Poeme Lancome's olfactory deja vu despite in here the spices and a rising woodiness are more influencing the general subtle equilibrium. I see also a lot of resemblance with the Elie Saab Le Parfum's aroma (more honeyed, rose oriented and with less basic quality). The ambrette seed keeps on along time to penetrate the elements with a sort of subtle but noticeable carnal/ambery (barely resinous) vibe which is coloured by woody and powdery accents. In the final ambery/woody (powdery woods) phase i detect indeed the note of iris, royal and subtle but marginal and anything but due to be compared with the same (more properly sticky/cosmetical) element mastering Dior Homme and DHI. Few hypes, i see just a delicately appointed balmy floral (languid and romantic) which does not involve my senses as Rien, Je Suis Un Homme or Noel Au Balcon for instance use doing. A really good longevity and in the average projection on my skin.
    Last edited by Darvant; 24th December 2013 at 01:34 PM.