Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default 2013 Basenotes Chicago Meet-Up Trip Report (re-do)

Well, gang, because of Basenotes’ software format makeover, the original trip report thread is hung up for who knows how long in conversion somewhere. I'm starting this new thread here.

Barneys, Frederic Malle scent booths.

Schilling camps it up for the camera, spraying an FM scent in one of the booths.

Worshipping at the FM table. Note Schilling’s spreadsheet of 528 scents to try.

Mr. & Mrs. Matildaben by the Le Labo display and (below) at check-out with Elizrj looking on.

Hermes’ Lisa Bommarito and Furriner.

Lunch at Foodlife.

Saks: Dior zone above and Guerlain counter below.

ComDiva and RHM at the decanting end of RHM and Rtamara’s Palmer House room.

Samples scattered over afghan lead one to believe the afghan tag was a vial with label. “Anyone want to smell the 98% acrylic?”

Views out and down from my Palmer House room.

My color-coordinated breakfast companion: Red Hot Mama.
    Now, what’s the name of that nail color, RHM?

BARNEYS
    The best thing to come of our visit to Barneys was hearing BNers say they might never have approached the place on their own, but, in borrowing group confidence, discovered what a pleasant experience it offers. Now they look forward to going again on their own. You can tell from Barneys’ website just how far and wide their product selection runs, and it’s pretty well represented at the Chicago branch.

I know from past experience that, being in charge, I don’t tend to accomplish focused sampling at these events. I try to count heads, make sure no one looks adrift, locate the restrooms, watch the clock, and take photos. I rely on others to highlight breakthroughs just as rtamara and others did by buzzing about Byredo Black Saffron. I applied some to my sour skin, and its sweet depths harmonized enchantingly. Furriner spoke up that he had been gifted a bottle of same, and he volunteered to run home and fetch it later so we could decant from it, catapulting him to Mr. Popular status.

The next day I wore Black Saffron home on the train, and it started to smell familiar on the drydown. I have since done a side-by-side of BS and Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Will do same with BS and Trish McEvoy Sexy 9. Some bits of the three overlap for sure, however, each travels a completely different path. If you like one of these, you may like the others, too.
    BYREDO BLACK SAFFRON: Pomelo, Kashmiri saffron, juniper berries; violet, leather, rose; woods, raspberry, vetiver.
    TRISH McEVOY SEXY 9: Blackberry buds, Amazon lilies, mandarin; patchouli, tiare flower, osmanthus; vanilla, velvet musk, cashmere woods, sandalwood, liquid amber.
    TOM FORD TUSCAN LEATHER: Saffron, raspberry, thyme; olibanum, night-blooming jasmine; leather, black suede, amber wood.

Our SAs Andy and Bryce were as lovely as you hope to find in a store’s staff, and Manager Dina really saved the day by passing out bottles of water just as dehydration felt like it was setting in.

HERMES
    ComDiva and I had pre-arranged a Bois des Iles split, so I skipped Chanel in favor of going to Hermes, as did about half our group. Lisa Bommarito guided us through Hermes’ fragrant goods and ignited lots of smiles with Mandarine Ambrée. Those opening notes especially—ripe, fresh, sweet citrus—brought out lots of ooohs and a couple of credit cards and conversation about splits.

LUNCH
    Cannes had, regrettably, been pulled in to work Saturday morning, but she and her sister were able to rendezvous with us at lunchtime. What is uber unfair is that she got a call from work during lunch, and she had to leave without going shopping anywhere with us. I hope you get some big bonuses, C, so you can do some compensatory shopping.

The menu at Foodlife is very good, however, the noise is comparable to a rowdy high school cafeteria, so while calories provided a recharge, the atmosphere was almost energy draining. Didn’t matter, before long, we were out of there.

NEIMAN-MARCUS
    Cordial manager Doug came down to greet us. He’s one of the most personable people at N-M. As others have noted of this visit and those in prior years, many of this store’s SAs come on too strong. We perfumistas know that many of the same brands can be had from different stores, and we choose to become loyal shoppers when we find a knowledgeable SA who responds to us as intelligent consumers.

SAKS
    The other gals will tell you what a revelation Dior’s exclusive range was. I have to confess I just kept staring at the bottles and thinking, “I don’t remember these names. How could I be 100% unaware?”

It was in the Dior zone that Kiliwia pointed out what looked like a lost, lone Penhaligon’s bottle: Iris Prima. It must have been an advance tester used for introduction to the SAs since it isn’t technically available yet. Sniffing the nozzle, I thought I could smell iris more clearly than I ever could before. I sprayed some across the top of my hand, briefly appreciated the fresh top notes and immediately got distracted by other things. Later I kept smelling my hand and finding the prettiest, soft scent—but one seemingly unrelated to the fresh iris I thought I’d planted on my hand. It wasn’t until I got home and looked up the official notes that I was convinced I really was smelling the drydown of Iris Prima. Official notes: bergamot, green amber, pink pepper; iris, jasmine sambac; musky leather, sandalwood, vetiver, vanilla, benzoin. I plan to get a sample soon.

Over at the Guerlain counter, we got to smell the uncommon Cologne du Parfumeur. Guerlain’s Thierry Wasser originally … “created this cologne for myself. I composed it at the same time as Idylle, it was my downtime. I wanted a cologne in the tradition of the great classics but with a modern twist.” Notes: lemon water, orange blossom, orange juice, lavender syrup, mint and rosemary. Lovely, classic.

Unfortunately, Cartier’s “hours” line was not available, so the much-ballyhooed L’Heure Fourgueuse remains on the to-sniff list.

NORDSTROM
    Mid-afternoon, fatigue was starting to show, but we marched on to Nordstrom with waning enthusiasm. Once we found the coffee shop immediately outside the entrance to the cosmetics department, caffeine, sugar, chocolate, and chairs restored our drive, and the sparkly bottles again lured some noses. I had saved my Bond No. 9/Mothers purchase for this end-of-the-avenue store so I wouldn’t have to carry it around all day, but Nordstrom had only the big 3.4 oz. bottle, so I waived that purchase for another day. I did, however, find SA Mohammed, got his email addy, and promised I’d finally get him the charming photo I took of him with ubuandibeme during the 2009 Worldwide Basenotes Meet-Up.

At this point, the majority of us chose to hop a bus toward Merz Apothecary and Palmer House Hilton rather than hoof it, and having locals like Furriner and Chicagoista as advisors and trailblazers take the lead was a relief for me.

MERZ
    As beautiful as Merz is, I was blitzed almost beyond caring and completely forgot to take photos. I can confirm that Demeter Sandalwood has earned its reputation for being a good fragrance, more so than we have come to expect from Demeter.

PALMER HOUSE HILTON
    I think the photos and video say more than I can in words. It was a PG orgy of fun. For those with the appetite and gumption, a glorious dinner followed.

As for me, I repaired to my room and took a tub soak for the first time in decades, then applied some Diptyque Philosykos in oil/rollerball form, which I’d bought at N-M, to the back of my hands, and went to bed with as blissful a smelling experience as I’ve ever had.

Funny memory …
    The rhythmic chant of the Michigan Avenue “Restore The 4th Amendment” protestors parade: “What do we want? Privacy! When do we want it? Now! Why do we want it? Noneofyourbusiness!

Appreciation for …
    Kiliwia’s daughter Jenn, who deserves the good-sport award for putting up with us old ladies and our insanity.
    Many kind words and gifts—samples, decants, even a whole bottle—from RHM, rtamara, ComDiva, Furriner, and sentimental gifter from afar, Mike. Every single person was a delight, even if experienced for only fleeting moments. Thanks for the memories, AnnWeir, Elizrj, Jodi, Matildaben, Larry, Schilling, Chicagoista, Rin_nd. I’m sure I’m forgetting somebody and scads of details. What’s Terry/Terri’s onscreen name? Help me out here, kids. (That’s Tavogelsp, I think. Thanks for the help, Kiliwia.)

First segment: This noisy chatter was constant all day long—over coffee, in the shops, along the sidewalk. Second segment: (L to R) Matildaben, Rtamara, RHM, ComDiva. Keep in mind, we know each other only online, yet our affection and jubilation erupts immediately upon real-world contact.

Mementoes—there’s the angel soap mentioned in a SotD thread.
    Last edited by Quarry; 4th November 2013 at 07:55 PM.

Default Re: 2013 Chicago Meet-Up Trip Report (re-do)

Thank you, Ms.Q. We will merge and whatever when the posts from Monday-Tuesday are available again.

Once again, please post your impressions and photos here. The freshest memories and all that stuff.

queen of the universe

Thank you, Quarry!!!
    Everybody, you look as good as you smell. I am so happy to be part of this community.
    Next year?

[heart is all pitty pat]
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Many thanks for a wonderful recap, Mrs Q - looking forward to other participants chipping in with their memories and pics.

Thank you for re-posting this... as well as for your additional commentary! Once again, thank you for organizing this. I am sincerely hoping we can all get together again soon!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Thanks for re-doing and enhancing the original thread. I am enchanted by the photos and stories. Sigh...it is just lovely.

Basenotes Plus

Fabulous, simply fabulous!!!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I stickied it up (hope it is OK with you all).

Default Re: 2013 Basenotes Chicago Meet-Up Trip Report (re-do)

Thanks again to our dear Quarry for her stellar organization and for re-posting (and to Twolf for sticky-ing the thread... Is "sticky-ing" even a word?)!!!

My shipped-to-Boston Dior Collection Privee Oud Ispahan from our Chicago meet-up adventures has arrived, and I promptly scurried up to the bedroom and spritzed just my wrists... Ten minutes later, dear daughter comes upstairs and says from the hall "Wow, it smells like perfume all the way out here!" :-)

On a semi-related topic: I think I may have accidentally put my P1 Slumberhouse (all of them) and Penhaligon's Zizonia samples in the sample swapfest in Chicago... Delighted to have them off and away in the BN family, but if anyone here has a spare sample of any of these lying around, would you PM me to discuss a possible trade? I still need to test them all. And I bake... :
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

ComDiva and Furriner at the food court

RHM and Quarry demonstrate the "Basenotes salute".

Chicagoista and Schilling at the food court.

RHM and Furriner

Quarry, rtamara, and a very sweet Basenoter whose username I do not recall.

- - - Updated - - -

RHM prepares the decanting station

Elizrj at the sample stash

At the sample pile with Chicagoista, rtamara, and Elizrj

More sampling

Still more sampling

Even more sampling

Looks like you had an amazing time. The samples pile is very impressive

Basenotes Plus

We had a truly joyous time.
    We were exhausted by the end of the weekend but very happy.

It didn't matter one bit that some of us had never laid eyes on the other, we were sisters & brothers of silage.

Love you all, miss you too.

Olga, our SA at Saks, was wonderful. She led us through the entire Collection and then we spritzed, and spritzed and spritzed some more.

This line & the Hermes, Eau Mandarine Ambree we what caught my attention while we were there.

Saks shipped my bottles for me free of charge and provided generous samples.

Wonderful!

Andy was so kind to us. He & his team made Barney's a true sniffing paradise.
    Last edited by RHM; 2nd November 2013 at 08:51 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Fantastic!

Oh gosh I wish I was there. Many of my favorite BN gals, all together - and I wasn't there.

Demeter Sandalwood, eh Quarry? ((adding to list))

Isn't Hermes Mandarine Ambree just awesome!? I smelled it for the 1st time last weekend & immediately loved it. Reminded me of Orange Sanguine by Atelier.

I love the pictures from lunch. Everyone has that same look that I can relate to (OMG, this is only HALFWAY THROUGH! How am I possibly going to go to 4 more places and smell til tonight!?)

p.s. - I love Barney's! They 'get' perfume enthusiasts.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Mike, I wish you had been with us in person. You certainly were thought of and spoken about often.

What did you think of our call Saturday night? We wanted you with us so much.

Mandarine Ambree is stunning. I had to have it & then decanted a bunch to some of the other attendees.

So much fun!

Where to next year? Boston & Seattle were mentioned.

Oh & Quarry, my nail polish is Gelish
    http://gelish.com/collections/sizzling-summer-nights Sunrise in the City
    Last edited by RHM; 2nd November 2013 at 09:31 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Glad to finally find this thread again - thank for re-posting our lovely time.

ComDiva - I have 3 Slumberhouse samples from last week. Thought the names were so interesting. Will PM you to get your address to send.

IMG_3340.jpg I have been in such a limbo since the server transition and it was so nice to log on tonight and see this new version of our meetup thread posted. I took relatively few photos this time, I think I was so absorbed in the moment that it overlooked the photo opps and it is wonderful to see the photos taken by my meetup mateys!
    The urn detail pictured here was taken because it reminds me of the Etiquette Dauphin label on my 1950s era teardrop bottle of Shalimar edt.
    As I mentioned in the lost in limbo thread, Men in Shalimar was a theme for me during this trip from start to finish! Starting with my seat mate on the airplane who asked" Can men really wear Shalimar?" and ending with Mr. Matildaben becoming a virtual nose magnet when he spritzed from my decant of the vintage juice which accompanied me for the weekend.
    A few more photos:
    IMG_3332.jpg
    Lovely ladies who lunch: elizrj, chicagoista, killiwa
    IMG_3337.jpg
    Mr. & Mrs. Matiladaben relax on the art deco couch we all wanted to bring home with us. Note the Merz Apothecary bag...
    IMG_3333.jpg
    A highlight from my trip was strolling down Michigan Avenue (I think that's where we were) with Chicagoista and she showed me the sights and we got to know one another a bit - she stopped to snap a photo of me on the river. Note my Saks bag - within was my one full bottle purchase which encapsulated the trip for me - a bottle of classic L'Heure Bleue edp. All day I had been drawn to meditative, incense based scents, and a few cool iris beauties, but none hit the mark til I sniffed L'Heure Nuit, ($280 smackaroos, only two bottles remaining at Saks - eek!) which led me to revisit the classic and sure enough - it tugged on the heartstrings and I decided to bring a bottle home with me. Little did I know that lovely fragonista ann_weir had a bottle of her own she wished to gift me. Would you think me greedy that I now have two?
    IMG_3309.jpg
    Above is one of my first views of the Windy City upon arrival. I sat in the garden across from the Art Institute, before meeting up with Mr & Mrs. Matildaben for our afternoon of art. I thought about what it may have been like back in 1948 when Mom and Dad met and fell in love.
    Chicago, xoxo!
    My funny story:
    Got stopped by security at the airport heading home - why? My weapon of beauty from Guerlain: Rouge G Madame Batifole - at first they did not believe it was a lipstick Here she is pictured below, in hand, and next to mom's vintage Stratton powder and lipstick compact.
    Chi9.jpg
    Chi5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I did take notes on impressions of new scents samples and will post soon. Just want to say how much I enjoyed meeting and spending time with each and every person on the trip - you are truly special folk and I feel very fortunate to have enjoyed the pleasure of your company.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

annweir, send me a private message, I have a mini of Serge Lutens l'Eau to send you.

Blog Entries

Awesome thread! Wow! What a great time! Mr. Matildaben looks to be in fine form - please say hi for me! I enjoyed meeting him in Vegas. He is such a trooper to come along for these meetings of the fragrance fanatics! And all you ladies look so great, too! Love the videos. Really great to put some faces to all these names!

PS - Those Guerlain lipsticks are *quite* cool - my wife loves hers.

Thank you all for posting. Renee, no, I think 2 bottles are a wonderful thing, please wear your fragrance with abandon.

queen of the universe

That sample pile makes me thing of a perfume pinata. Wow. (:

Well, Happy Sunday...here is my shortlist of new discoveries and loves from the Chicago trip...

Houbigant Oranger en Fleurs, Matildaben pointed me in this direction, for me it's the definition of pretty and feminine, a perfect "boudoir" scent and very ladylike. The notes are listed as Ylang-ylang, Peony, Indian tuberose, Turkish rose, Jasmine sambac, Tuscan Iris, Siam Benzoin, and Madagascar Vanilla, so it's not a surprise that I like it, it has so many of my favorite notes. Oranger en Fleurs has a delicacy to it which appeals to me, and makes it very versatile in my opinion.

Silver Iris by Atelier - this was introduced to me by a very persistent SA at Neiman Marcus, and I would have given it more time, but I felt bombarded by the attention from the staff there. I intend to revisit this on a trip to NY since I believe there is an Atelier Boutique in the city. I also enjoyed Vanille Insense from the same house, though I am not seeking a vanilla to add to my collection.

Dior New Look 1947 was my personal favorite from the Privee collection, followed closely by Mitzah and Oud Ispahan. The collection caused quite the stir amongst our merry band of basenoters, I must say! I would have spent more time with it, but I was too busy sampling L'Heure Nuit and confirming that Derby is something I definitely would enjoy on hubby!
    (notes of 1947 were listed as peony, ylang-ylang, pink pepper, jasmine sambac, rose, tuberose, iris, benzoin, and vanilla - I am definitely being drawn to tuberose at the moment.)

pale grey mountain small black lake by Hylnds was the first scent of the day that caught my attention at Barney's and Mr. Matildaben graciously modeled it for us all. It was the first that earned skin time for me as well, and though I loved it, it was a bit too dry and bitter to satisfy my needs of the day, though it did set a tone for my day long search for the perfect contemplative scent to bring home with me.

Speaking of tuberose: I also fell in love with Gardenia Passion (annick goutal) and have my eye on Tuberose Animale by Histoires de Parfums, which could not be found in Chicago at all.

Oh and one more delight found at Nordstrom's: a sniff of contemporary Chamade made me swoon! I see why RHM is head over heels in love with this classic!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Say, how did all of you get around? I'm not familiar with Chicago so I don't know if all the shops were within walking distance of the hotel.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Good question, Curly.
    Here's our Chicago map marked with meet-up hot spots: http://goo.gl/maps/jUqY1
    The Magnificent Mile is really about that length, so we who stayed at the Palmer House took bus 147 to the north end of the line and walked south. Most of us were so pooped after Nordstrom, we took a short bus ride to Merz.
    If we had access to the original planning thread, I'd post the map screenshot here directly.
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd November 2013 at 02:47 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

After leaving Barney's, we stopped for a photo op.

IMG_0480.jpg

After lunch & the very pushy people at Neiman Marcus, we arrived at what was one of the highlights, for me. SAKs Christian Dior La Collection Privee.
    I admit to going just a little bit wild.
    IMG_0482.jpg

Then there was my wonderful roomie, we certainly had a memorable first visit. Here's just one sample of our adventures.
    IMG_0478.jpg

Yes, that IS the door knob to the bathroom in Renee's hand.
    Last edited by RHM; 3rd November 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Good question, Curly.
    Here's our Chicago map marked with meet-up hot spots: http://goo.gl/maps/jUqY1
    The Magnificent Mile is really about that length, so we who stayed at the Palmer House took bus 147 to the north end of the line and walked south. Most of us were so pooped after Nordstrom, we took a short bus ride to Merz.
    If we had access to the original planning thread, I'd post the map screenshot here directly.
    Thanks, Quarry.

It's so nice to see you lovely ladies again.

I swear none of you have aged a day since pictures from the last meet up.

The video was a nice touch too. So vivid & cheery.

for swap/sale:

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the trip report. So great to see both great fragrances reviewed, but above all, wonderful Basenotes members among themselves- in beautifully taken and upbeat, heartwarming pictures.

queen of the universe

Hi, Quarry,

I glimpsed the wrapping paper from the sample I sent there in the photo of samples scattered on the afghan, my sig from back when, Mollie Parnis. Did anyone have a sniff?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Was the Mollie Parni on cotton balls, J? I saw a bunch of cotton balls in a baggie, smelled them, but couldn't smell anything.
    The day was so chaotic, I don't know how some people sussed out everything they were smelling. This is why I've suggested what we could really use is a quiet retreat weekend away from the shops. If each person brought decants of their fave frags, we could savor the experience and take time to wine and dine and socialize in a less-costly location.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Where to next year? Boston & Seattle were mentioned.
    Maybe somewhere more west, this time? I hear San Francisco has pretty good shopping from what I've heard...just a thought But I think you guys have done SF before, no? I think right before I joined?

Here's a link to the shopping that was last updated in the summer of '12:

http://anotherperfumeblog.com/2011/0...san-francisco/

Just a thought...I know there are several BNers in the west: Mimi, Knit, Cello, Whitefluffy, Danieq, Cestrum Nocturnum(but don't think she posts anymore) and Haunani, that's all I can think of. But I realize that may not be convenient to those who are more on the east side.

Kalli! Thank you for thinking about us, BNers of the West. San Francisco sounds wonderful, but how about LA? I have been wanting to visit Luckyscent for quite a while now. I don't know, but maybe they will be able to do something special for us?

And, I have talked to Cestrum recently - if we had a westernly located event I am sure she would have tried her best to make it.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 3rd November 2013 at 11:20 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Not that it has to be factored into anyone's plans, but I might be visiting the L.A. area, flying in Feb. 22, a Saturday, and staying to Fri., the 28th. Hope to have my cousin take me to The Scent Bar/Lucky Scent.

Tried to send the following in a private message, but received message that your space is full.

That's so nice of you to think of me. Because I made a large purchase at Barney's, I felt okay about asking Andy to make me a sample of that scent. I have had a chance to try it out and unfortunately am not very fond of it. So the quest for a suitable marine frag continues!
    I enjoyed meeting you and Mr. Ben. I hope we select Seattle next year for the meetup as I would love an occasion to visit your beautiful city.
    Annette

- - - Updated - - -

I really enjoyed meeting everyone. What a fun and knowledgeable group of people. Thank you Quarry for organizing it. I hope that there will be more such meetups in the future!
    Annette

Oh, you spoke with her, WF?. I miss that lady! LA huh? You guys are aware of the traffic there, I am assuming? Cause it's awful, to say the least. Eck and the smog, yucky! I have no desire to return there...but if it's the only place agreed upon, I will consider it..though not sure if I'd be totally on board, at least at the moment..but I'll consider it. I just think of the snootiest shops when I think of LA too..though, I haven't done any shopping there. Maybe it wouldn't be all that bad? Except, the traffic, pain in the booty! Not sure if I could do Seattle. Portland maybe, maybe..but I probably wouldn't make it to Seattle.

So, is that two mentions of Seattle, one for Boston one for SF and two for LA? Maybe 2.5(the .5 possibly being me, LOL).

Anyone else care to suggest anywhere?
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2013 at 01:00 AM.

Ah, Quarry...My husband decided to take me to the Joshua Tree National Park on my birthday Jan 18, and I was considering an extra 3 hour drive to the Luckyscent. I am not sure we can afford another trip in that direction so soon. It's too bad, I would have LOVED to meet you! I will still keep it in mind however...

Kalli - Yes, I heard horror stories about LA traffic, but as I understood (maybe incorrectly) Chicago is a nightmare to drive in too. We could do what everyone else in Chicago did - book a (hopefully) reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of the good perfume shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post

Kalli - Yes, I heard horror stories about LA traffic, but as I understood (maybe incorrectly) Chicago is a nightmare to drive in too. We could do what everyone else in Chicago did - book a (hopefully) reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of the good perfume shopping.
    There is that option. Since Cestrum is local, maybe she can refer us to some places? Idk?

Basenotes Plus

Whitefluffy you are exactly right, the traffic in Chicago was pretty bad. I was very happy that Jenn and I didn't drive there. We chose a hotel close to Michigan Ave. and between taxi's and walking we did very well. I would do it again in a heartbeat, it was a wonderful trip and with the best company you could ever hope to have. I didn't think I would like Chicago but it's a wonderful city and I have a whole different attitude about it now, I definitely hope to go back someday there were so many things we didn't have the chance to do. All the cities mentioned for 2014 sound good to me.

I emptied my mailbox, so if anyone is trying to message me, it should be OK now.

I live in Seattle and would be happy to show you guys around. Unfortunately shops are not concentrated all together, so we might need to rent a van or something, which would of course cost money. Our Barneys has a smaller fragrance section, but an extremely knowledgeable and sweet SA, Christian, who is a total fragonerd/fragonista. There's also an indie shop, Essenza, as well as a sizeable Nordstrom downtown (near Barneys) and a Nieman's and Hermes in the Eastern suburbs (unfortunately the Neiman SAs are the typical combination of underinformed and overaggressive). We've also got local perfumers like Sweet Anthem, House of Matriarch, Olympic Orchids, and Phoenecia, and I bet the perfumers group might be convinced to hold a salon where we could meet and sniff. Unfortunately we have lost our other 2 great indie stores, with Knows Perfume closing down over a year ago and Blackbird closing down this summer.

LA in February sounds tempting.... It gets so gray and dark up here that the Mr and I usually try to escape to somewhere southerly around January or February to get some sunlight. And I really missed my gal pal Knit, who wasn't able to attend this last meetup, but I bet she'd be able to come to LA to meet us.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Annette (annweir), tell us what you bought at Barneys!!!

Misterben bought Hylnds "Pale Grey Mountain", which Renee described above, as well as Sogni del Mare by Antonia's Flowers. I bought Santa Maria Novella Vaniglia and a Melograno soap at Merz. My other favorite discovery was 1996 by Byredo, which I did not buy at Barney's, but an online acquaintance from another fragrance forum is selling me her partial bottle so I should have it soon. I also really liked Black Saffron by Byredo, and very much appreciate Furriner's sharing from his bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    There is that option. Since Cestrum is local, maybe she can refer us to some places? Idk?
    I am not sure, I can check with her; but as far as I know she never went to Luckyscent before.

If LA does happen, I can come up in February: Mr. and I discussed it and I can come by myself.

Kiliwia - I am glad that you enjoyed Chicago despite the traffic.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 4th November 2013 at 04:23 AM.

February huh? I am moving atm(still in the same town) but it's taking a chunk out of the money situation. Though, it would be sooo nice since I just missed CHI!! But LA, ugh, lol. San Diego, now that's a nice place. I preferred it over LA, just me though. SD probably doesn't have too much on the shopping though, doesn't look like they have would a whole lot..idk. Never been shopping too much there either.

Mimi? Will you be around in Feb? Or are you gonna be doing your Yoga tour? Anyone else? Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Last edited by kalli; 4th November 2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: I will learn how to spel one of these days...oh wait.

Any other month actually works better for me, this way I can come with Mr. But I will be on board with any month - like you I missed Chicago and would love to meet, especially when LA is much closer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    February huh? I am moving atm(still in the same town) but it's taking a chunk out of the money situation. Though, it would be sooo nice since I just missed CHI!! But LA, ugh, lol. San Diego, now that's a nice place. I preferred it over LA, just me though. SD probably doesn't have too much on the shopping though, doesn't look like they have would a whole lot..idk. Never been shopping too much there either.

kalli, please start another thread, something like "BN meetup in 2014, possible dates and places". Let's keep this one about Chicago, if you would. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Oh gosh, sorry Twolf! Didn't realize I kinda crashed the thread. Sorry folks. Is it going to be stickied?

queen of the universe

Was the Mollie Parni on cotton balls, J? I saw a bunch of cotton balls in a baggie, smelled them, but couldn't smell anything.
    The day was so chaotic, I don't know how some people sussed out everything they were smelling. This is why I've suggested what we could really use is a quiet retreat weekend away from the shops. If each person brought decants of their fave frags, we could savor the experience and take time to wine and dine and socialize in a less-costly location.
    The cotton balls were unscented, just there should you choose to apply. If you are dying of curiosity, PM and I'll send a decant. I love the idea of a non-shopping retreat. Do let's!

It seems you had a splendid time and a lot of fun! Great to see you all!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hi, Quarry,

I glimpsed the wrapping paper from the sample I sent there in the photo of samples scattered on the afghan, my sig from back when, Mollie Parnis. Did anyone have a sniff?
    Yes, indeed! Shilling and I put the Mollie Parnis on the cotton balls as instructed. Loved the scent! Apricot--who knew?

Oh gosh! It sure looks as if you guys had an amazing time! Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures for those of us who couldn't join in this time.

Everyone looks great and so happy to be together!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

First and foremost, huge praise and appreciation for Quarry. Your hard work in planning this "family reunion" of sorts from soup-to-nuts, as well as your charm and enthusiasm kept us walking, talking, sniffing and giggling until the very end. Thank you for a wonderful time in my own hometown. I'm glad non-natives were able to see how lovely Chicago is, too.

Second, what a fabulous bunch of folks. Shopping with RHM, was like shopping with Oprah. You are a force of nature and I took notes on how to command a sales interaction like you do. Chicagoista, you were great fun and a sweetheart for keeping me company when my lunch arrived two hours after everyone else's. Elizrj, I'm so glad you brought your Amazon Twin, Jodi. I think we successfully wrangled her into the fold, and I welcome the two of you next time you escape Tiny Town, MI. Matildaben, you rocked that nose ring so well that I actually considered getting one, until a good friend told me that I'm not West Coast enough to pull it off. Piercing, or no, you and Rtamara gave me something to shoot for, in terms of knowledge and experience. Thanks for sharing it with me. Ann and Comdiva, you two were simply delightful, so sweet and bubbly. We'll find that perfect iris for you, Ann. Kiliwia was the silent ninja who came away with the first purchase of the day. I turned around while sniffing my first bottle and you're suddenly twirling a big Barneys bag. Focused like a laser beam. I can't believe Furriner hopped the #146 home, to retrieve his Byredo for generously sharing with us all. What a gentleman. I'm really enjoying the Black Saffron. Actually, I was impressed with the whole line and plan on exploring them all.

By the time I rolled out of bed and hauled my broken nose back downtown for breakfast the next morning, it was 10:15. I'd hoped that you were running late, too, but sadly, all were off and running already. I loitered the lobby and Merz's for awhile, but left with the samples that I'd promised RHM, Elizrj and Furriner, and will mail them off instead. [Oprah, please PM your address.]. Hope you enjoyed your Beef and Brandy breakfast. They're good for carbo loading before shopping.

*Quarry, I was the ditz who bent over and grabbed the afghan's label, thinking it was a sample. Acrylic never smelled so good.

With such good company, any city is great by me. Until next year, my friends.

Basenotes Plus

Shilling, you crack me up!
    I had such a good time at the CD counter in SAKS. The Privee line was, here-to-for, unsniffed by me, so you saw me in full on mission mode.
    Elizrj & Jodi were so funny. Hey Jodi, did Mr Jodi get what he wanted????
    Shilling, were you the one decanting with hypodermic needles?
    Still recalling so many good times.
    IMG_0484.jpg

Notice how low the level of Amber Noir is in the picture. I should put a sticky on it saying "RHM was Here".

Schilling, I don't know who you met who has a nose ring, but it wasn't me. If you saw the piercing I do have, then we got much more intimate than I have any memory of, and I didn't drink a drop of alcohol.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hi, Schilling. Been wondering … is that a photo of your mom as your avatar? She’s lovely, whoever she is. I think your dad is lovely, too, by the way you describe him.

Yep, I know it was you making fun of yourself and the afghan tag, but didn't want to risk choosing the wrong words and making comedy out of you in an insulting way. I should have trusted you would take such reporting in good spirits. You positively reek of good spirit.

I appreciate your breaking down some of the emotional content and attachments of the day. I was so impressed by the range and variation of pure goodness in all of you. Oh, now I'm going to get verklempt. RHM as Oprah—hoot!

As it turned out, Sunday breakfast was a bust. Given the different wake times and energy levels and various locations of all our friends, coordination crumbled. Rtamara had to catch an early train, then plane. So RHM and I ended up leaving the restaurant and heading back to the Palmer House for their continental breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Schilling, I don't know who you met who has a nose ring, but it wasn't me. If you saw the piercing I do have, then we got much more intimate than I have any memory of, and I didn't drink a drop of alcohol.
    This is just evidence of the tornadic chaos that swirled around us all day, making it hard to keep names, faces, shops, brands, and scents straight. Several times one could hear the call, “Who was looking for …?” as we tried to help each other locate particular fragrance lines or particular notes.

In the end, we did get to know each other fairly well, but at the beginning of the day, “petite blonde,” “tall brunette” is where the brain starts. Fortunate for everyone else, I am unique in every aspect, unforgettable, and infinitely adorable.

It is not her mom, grandma perhaps? it is a style icon from the 20s. (Most recently, in print, this image was also used in Amanda Brooks I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style. Can you tell who? LOL
    Last edited by Twolf; 6th November 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Fortunate for everyone else, I am unique in every aspect, unforgettable, and infinitely adorable.

^ what he said

and I'm sorry to have missed our anticipated breakfast, especially missing the time with Quarry - I have such great memories of beginning the days in "our" courtyard in the French Quarter - if I had taken a later flight I would have lost the discount fare that made it possible for me to even get to Chicago...

now I am going to be wondering...who had the nose ring????

gable_and_lombard.jpg

Good call Twolf. My avatar is the delightful Mrs. Clark Gable, Carol Lombard. She was my mom's favorite. I grabbed that cool photo for Facebook when I was trying to maintain a shred of privacy.

As for that diamond stud, I could have sworn it was you, Matildaben. Are you trying to gaslight me??? Quarry, Elizrj, are either of you the owner of the facial bedazzling? It was lovely, whoever wore it. Like I said, it made me want to sterilze a sewing needle and poke a hole in my face, too. I think that Day-After-the-Orgy sample fried my brain and cleared out some of my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    As for that diamond stud, I could have sworn it was you, Matildaben. Are you trying to gaslight me??? Quarry, Elizrj, are either of you the owner of the facial bedazzling? It was lovely, whoever wore it. Like I said, it made me want to sterilze a sewing needle and poke a hole in my face, too. I think that Day-After-the-Orgy sample fried my brain and cleared out some of my memory.
    The nose stud would be me... Schilling, I think you might've noticed it when you, Matildaben, Furriner and I got to spend some time walking to Saks before the others? Elizrj were you part of that walk, too? As our dear Quarry said, it was such a swirl of action that day, I think we all took turns running together a bit in each others' memories. And I'm delighted to be mixed up with Matildaben, though I think Mr. Ben might object. Especially since I don't have MB's piercings.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I've got to point Jodi to this thread, she'd love to catch up. She definitely had a great time, and I'm sure Mr. Jodi got the "gift included" with the purchase! ;P Thank you all for making her feel so welcome, and thank you Quarry for not only putting it all together but making her sniffly with joy!

I had just the best time ever, and will happily see if I can fit in a future trip, as I'm missing you all already! It's a delight to spend time with people that understand when you go on and on about a fragrance, what it makes you feel, what it makes you remember, how you experience it, etc. The conversation and joy of the day felt like an ocean to me, waves of conversation, tides of people moving into and out of groups, sniffing, laughing, bustling about as our energy waxed and waned, crashes of laughter would roll through the group as everyone asked "what, what?" and it just was .... well it was amazing and fun and exhausting and invigorating and just lovely.

Schilling, I loved your recounting of the day! ComDiva, I think we were behind on the walk to Saks because I seem to remember Jodi buying something at Neiman's and us taking a bit to get to Saks. Rtamara, I smelled that L'Heure Nuit too and it called my name. But yeah, ouch, $280. I also was introduced to Guerlain's Exclusifs, I think by Matildaben? I fell in love with Myrrhe & Delires and actually tried it again at Disney. I think I'm going to need a sample or decant of that one. And of course, Rtamara's vintage Shalimar on Mr. Matildaben was to die for. Then there was the entire Dior line there. Oh my, I loved lots of that one, but especially the Mitzah and Grand Bal. We all went fairly nuts there. And sneaky Jodi traipsed off to make her 3rd perfume purchase of the day, a lovely travel set from By Kilian. Who knew, a perfume newbie, she bought Portrait of a Lady at Barney's, something I can't remember at Neiman's and then the BK at Saks. I restrained myself (as I just bought all my furniture for my room redo) and came away with a ton of lovely samples to indulge in.

The things that stand out for me are of course the crash of perfumistas at each store, but especially with energy high and terrific sales help at Barneys. Schilling trying to figure out how the Frederic Malle huge tubes work, and getting a cheesy photo. Stopping at the Agent Provacateur shop with Jodi & Chicagosista and our eyes bugging out. Of course we only stopped in for the perfume! The Chanel boutique, and Chicagosista being blown away by Coromandel. I was blown away by the Gardenia. Lunch with everyone, a long table of chatting, sniffing, laughing perfumistas. Feeling like I was fleeing salespeople at Neiman Marcus, but getting a chance to sniff APOM finally and scoring a sample. Laughing at Saks because there were soooo many of us trying to smell all the Dior's and Jodi was explaining that her husband felt there should be a ....ummmm.... gift included with a $250 perfume purchase. The exhaustion settling in on our way to Nordstroms but after falling in love with Robert Piquet and fortifying with coffee, heading to Merz. The sample pile that was ENORMOUS at the hotel, and the generosity of the basenoters as they gifted each other with decants and samples. I came away with a decant of Baghari, I believe it was from RHM or ComDiva, please tell me! I think Terri wanted some of that, and I"m trying to catch up with her to find out. Also, I owe some Bandit decants, since on my own I can't deliver on all the ass-kickings that are in that bottle. Oh and lets not forget the AMAZING meal I had out with RHM, rtamara, matildaben, Mr. Matildaben and Jodi. Wow. Seriously, if you get a chance, Gage is fantabulous. I can't wait to go back.

I love you all, and words just aren't enough to tell you all what it meant to me, and how much of an impression you all made

xoxox
    Beth

Thanks for your report, I sort of forgot you went on vacation smack after the Meetup and was wondering that there were no impressions from you. Thank you again.

Sorry it took so long! It was fun reading everyone's recaps and I was hoping the previous thread would be rescued from never-neverland and restored. Still holding out hope

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Elizrj, hugs, hugs, hugs. So happy to relive the fun through your report.
    There’s a Kohl’s commercial running right now with a gal wearing a sweater with a fur-like collar, and every time it airs, I think of your rockin’ outfit.
    I still get occasional happy flashbacks of the day—PTSD (perfume-traumatic scent disorder?).