Code of Conduct

Default What has been your Best Blind Buy?

I just placed an order for Frapin Esprit de Fleurs as they had a great deal at Luckyscent for October. What a great idea that was! I really like it. It was slightly frightening as the opening was a LOT of citrus which isn't my favorite thing, but very quickly it softened up to a lovely floral musky treat.

So, anyone else have a good blind buy to share?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What has been your Best Blind Buy?

Bentley Intense - very nice, definitely living up to all the hype, and could easily pass for a high-end niche release. Just got it this week and already love it.

Encre Noir - if you love vetiver, this one is bliss in a bottle - and the price is just crazy low for this one. Don't let that fool you, the fragrance is of extremely good quality. Got it about a year or so ago and it's been one of my best blind buys ever.

Basenotes Member

Bond No 9's Silver Factory makes up for all the bad blind buys I've ever had

Rose Paestum
    Iris Pallida

To be precise though they weren't bonafide blind buys.
    I'd read reviews by competent reviewers. More importantly I read reviews by people who's interpretation I can relate to. Meaning I don't necessarily share tastes with them but our interpretation is similar.
    So I kinda knew what I'd be getting.

for swap/sale:

Bandit was my best. Strangely followed by Yatagan - which I seemed to already know from my 80ies childhood but didn`t realize what it was.
    And ìt`s like hedonist said, I already read about them here and in the guide
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

No. 23 by Ava Luxe, and Loukhoum, by the same perfumer. This was after reading through many suggestions on a Basenotes thread.

So glad you love the No. 23, Curly!!!

Mine were Chanel Coromandel and 1932, although I am almost certain of most Chanels.

Basenotes Plus

Hanae Mori's HM (edP)

Thank You, Mr. H.

I never blind buy without googling and reading reviews before deciding to jump.

Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente
    Cuir de Lancome
    Heeley Nuit de Iris
    Iris Pallida

These are the ones that spring to mind, there are others.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    So glad you love the No. 23, Curly!!!

Mine were Chanel Coromandel and 1932, although I am almost certain of most Chanels.
    Yes, cello, it was probably your enthusiasm for No. 23 that tipped me toward a blind buy. Those small bottles are good for carrying in a purse, or even a coat pocket. I know you smell good when you wear Coromandel!
    Last edited by Curly11; 2nd November 2013 at 08:27 PM.

A La Nuit by Serge Lutens!

Chypre Palatin. Most successfull blind buy ever for me. Before that: Pre-Reformulation New York.

Basenotes Plus

I LOVE most of the scents mentioned above.

My most beloved blind-buy thus far has been the Majda Bekkali line.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty leery of blind buys, unless they are very cheap. I also read every review I can find.

My best blind buys were:
    YSL In Love Again
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Flora Nerolia and Aqua Allegoria Lilia Bella
    Annick Goutal Rose Absolue edp

Only blind buys I have ever made (i actually might have the lowest rate on Basenotes in blind buying) are :

24 Gold : Ended up in my all time top 5

Bentley Intense : Rapidly becoming my favorite for fall/winter

Encre Noire : Very disappointed in its longevity on my skin and most likely will give it away.

Edit : By blind buy, i mean not SMELLING or TESTING before buying!
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 9th November 2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

If reading reviews disqualifies it from Blind Buy status then I suppose the only Blind Buys I've ever made were.............well.........none. I do always read as many reviews as I can before making the decision.

I gave away, swapped or sold my few BBs. The only one that worked out and I kept was Chocolovers..which was actually a blind swap as I was swapping out a blind buy, my first and WORST one! Burberry Brit Holiday Edition! Awful!!!! To me anyway!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Hands down, Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia; just beautiful! l bought it after reading a review on Now Smell This way back in 2007. And l discovered basenotes at around the same time, so really it represents the beginning of my journey down the rabbit hole.

These days l usually read every review l can find before blind buying, but l do experience the odd moment of weakness even now.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Splash Bottles Suck

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Only blind buys I have ever made (i actually might have the lowest rate on Basenotes in blind buying) are :

24 Gold : Ended up in my all time top 5

Bentley Intense : Rapidly becoming my favorite for fall/winter

Encre Noire : Very disappointed in its longevity on my skin and most likely will give it away.
    tdwctdwc, I have been on these boards since 2009 and have only blind bought once!! It was Shalimar Eau Legere, the 2002 formulation created by Mathilde Laurent that was reformulated/discontinued shortly thereafter. The Guide spoke very highly of it as did the reviews I had read online. Saw a bottle on eBay and bought it because it was discontinued and was intended to be a lighter, more modern version of the original Shalimar, which I never personally liked (although I appreciate it as a masterpiece in the intellectual sense). I didn't like the Eau Legere at all and vowed to never buy blind again, as I felt I had foolishly wasted my money. I know now that I am very picky about what I would like to own FB's of (I often go through a sample AND a small decant first), and even many positive reviews of a fragrance are not enough to guarantee I will like it. There are times I have since been tempted to blind buy when I have seen a good deal but have managed to discipline myself to sample first.

Every Slumberhouse that I've bought blind have been excellent, along with MDCI'S Invasion Barbare...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    If reading reviews disqualifies it from Blind Buy status then I suppose the only Blind Buys I've ever made were.............well.........none. I do always read as many reviews as I can before making the decision.
    Exactly. I'm pretty sure we ALL read reviews here and other sites first, sometimes over and over again, before "blind buying" anything. By "blind buy" I always assume we all mean the same thing - you buy a full bottle based on just reviews alone, without actually seeking a sample first. I don't think anyone (sane) would "blind buy" any fragrance just by throwing a dart in the fragrance directory - there always is some research involved before pulling out the credit card to place an order online. The only times when "blind buy" doesn't qualify is if you got a sample of the fragrance first, or tried it at a store, or your friend's place, etc. If you have tried it, you have first hand experience and know what the fragrance smells like, so it's not exactly buying full bottle blindly hoping you like the scent.

Bentley for Men Intense was my best blind by for 2013.

I don't think I've ever bought a full bottle of perfume that I hadn't already at least smelled right there in the store, so I have dozens of impulse buys, some of which I rather regret, but none completely blind. Well, one - Ava Luxe's Pivoine Rose, which I adore, but it was replacing Ava Luxe's Peonies which I had smelled and liked well enough to buy, but it was being discontinued so I figured its replacement would be close enough ...and those bottles are small, so it wasn't much of a risk anyway.

I understand it's a huge thrill for some people, but I can't seem to get thrilled about anything I don't already know is FB-worthy, and no matter how eloquent or persuasive, reviews can only point me in the right direction. I just won't be convinced until I smell it myself.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I've had a number of impulse buys (after only sampling for a short while in shops), and 75% of those turned out badly. I've given away all but one of them (anyone need a full 50ml bottle of original Prada EDP?). I've had 6 total blind buys, and only one didn't really work out. The other 5 have been wonderful, starting with the best of them:

Badgley Mischka EDP
    Ava Luxe No. 23 -- also thanks to cello
    Ava Luxe Bois Exotique
    Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleur

The one stinker was Ava Luxe Madeline -- the musk ruins it for me. Without the musk, it would be the perfect chai fragrance.

Seems like a lot of Ava Luxe blind buys. Guess that makes sense since she doesn't do samples.

queen of the universe

Luten's Sarrasins. A friend was in Paris and I asked for advice from basenotes friends as to the best exclusive to have brought back.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

There are no fragrance stores around here and I do not buy blind since 2009. Too many disappointments. Samples and decants are the way to go.

Basenotes Member

I bought Cuir de Lancôme blind when it was still available for around $40 from the online discounters, and I still love it. It gets a lot of wear, and it's the only fragrance in my collection that I have a backup bottle for.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Seems like a lot of Ava Luxe blind buys. Guess that makes sense since she doesn't do samples.
    That's exactly right, and Serena's bottles of edp are 15ml, so that's like a large decant ...now having said that, I have purchased some decants that I would have been better off with smaller samples of first, but I've never considered those blind buys, though I'm not sure why. I guess I just think of blind buys as being for full bottles.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

As I might have mentioned on a few other threads before: a "mixed bag" of three fragrances I didn't know before, never having sampled, tested, them prior to buying them, but was quite reassured about the BN reviews. These three fragrances were: Grey Flannel, Halston Z14, Francesco Smalto PH.

In the "single blind purchase"-category: YSL Rive Gauche PH. No previous testing experience, but somehow I knew that this fragrance would most likely be a good experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'm pretty leery of blind buys, unless they are very cheap.
    Same here, and even when they are cheap, I hesitate to buy because most blind buys for me have not turned out well.

With that said, however, there is one fragrance that is the standout winner when it comes to my blind buy success stories, and that is Le Couvent des Minimes - Eau des Missions Botanical Cologne of the Missions. Truly unisex and smells so good, I wish it were edible.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Rundholz - total blind buy, had never even heard of it, but BF smelled it on a trip to Germany and just knew I would like it. He was right!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Luten's Sarrasins. A friend was in Paris and I asked for advice from basenotes friends as to the best exclusive to have brought back.
    That was a good blind buy!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

If we consider calling a purchase a blind buy after reading the reviews/notes, then half of my wardrobe will be in this category. Some of the notable blind buys:

Most of my older Carons are blind buys: Fleurs de Rocaille, Infini, Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noel, Violette Precieuse.

Bal a Versaille (has a huge potential for a blind buy disaster ), Byzance by Rochas, Tocade by Rochas.

Comme des Garsons 2
    Datura Noir by SL - another potential blind buy disaster if the tuberose decides to disagree with you.

Dzing! - this can turn into a circus for all the wrong reasons

Encre Noir - I knew I would love this

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal - turned out to become my personal grand amour floral.

Rouge Eau Delicate by Hermes - an emotional blind buy linked to a loss of a dearest family member. One of my favourite fragrances with slightly bitter sweet memories.

I will continue the practice of blind buys, but it can be equally nerve wrecking and tremendously rewarding!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Eyez View Post
    If we consider calling a purchase a blind buy after reading the reviews/notes, then half of my wardrobe will be in this category.
    That's what a blind buy is - buying a bottle without having smelled it. Reading reviews about it is what generally leads to blind buys, and you've got some great ones there so I'd say you're really good at it! You must have some reviewers you really trust, and also know your own preferences very well! Datura Noir was one of my recent impulse buys; I had only just barely sniffed it on the back of my hand when I decided to buy, but I had no doubt it would be beautiful from start to finish, and I was right - I just love it. Infini, Grand Amour and Rouge Eau Délicate are other favorites - I'm glad they all worked out for you so well!
    Last edited by Evangeline; 4th November 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

My best blind buy: Diptyque Do Son. I was pretty sure I'd enjoy it based on my enjoyment of Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, and based on Robin's NST review (I trust her nose completely) and some Basenotes reviews I decided to spring for a bottle during HauteLook's semi-recent sale. Plus, they were the Diptyque square bottles, and I didn't have one, and really wanted one. My expectations of Do Son as a beautiful, watery tuberose were met, and I absolutely love it!

Barbara Bui, definitely. Bought on a whim as it was only $10 (discontinued) liked it enough that I bought another $10 bottle. One is gone now, one has some left.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    That's what a blind buy is - buying a bottle without having smelled it. Reading reviews about it is what generally leads to blind buys, and you've got some great ones there so I'd say you're really good at it! You must have some reviewers you really trust, and also know your own preferences very well! Datura Noir was one of my recent impulse buys; I had only just barely sniffed it on the back of my hand when I decided to buy, but I had no doubt it would be beautiful from start to finish, and I was right - I just love it. Infini, Grand Amour and Rouge Eau Délicate are other favorites - I'm glad they all worked out for you so well!
    Thank you, Evangeline.

I've started my collection a number of years ago when New Zealand shops did not stock any SL or Annick Goutal scents (and they still don't as far as Annick Goutal is concerned according to my regular search expeditions). I had to rely on reviews and notes, plus essential oils for some notes, so I could train myself to recognise these notes in fragrances.

Most of the niche perfumes are still a mystery to NZ consumers. Whatever is available is very highly priced (read " grossly overpriced"). And knowledgeable SAs are very hard to find. There are some perfume enthusiasts around NZ, but we don't really have a community or a split board. Although, numerous attempts have been made to establish a community and a split board.

200ml of each of these . Chanel 31 rue cambon, 28 la pausa , and bel Respiro. Grand total for all three . $150 shipped .
    Serious love for each.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    200ml of each of these . Chanel 31 rue cambon, 28 la pausa , and bel Respiro. Grand total for all three . $150 shipped .
    Serious love for each.
    How and where on earth did you get all of those for 150 bucks?

Right place, right time. Seller had no idea what they were selling.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Ambre 114. Delicious!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Amouage Memoir! Was kinda nervous, but swooned at first spray

The old Mosque bottle Amouage Gold, the original 'Homage'.
    As others have mentioned - not entirely blind buys since their online reputations had preceded them.

Last year Murdock's Black tea & Patchouli Thanks to the glowing reviews by Jack Hunter.

This year Marc de la Morandiere's Gengis Khan per Hednic's great input and research.

Waiting on Bentley for men Intense which many on this thread have stated has been a Grand Slam for them.

In October-November 2013 for me, I'd say the new Arabian Series of four Parfums de Marly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Oh, and I bought Bvlgari Au the Rouge blind and I fall more in love with it each time I wear it. Actually, I think I'll need to buy another bottle as it's been discontinued.

Blog Entries

I've bought several TDC scents blind - Oriental Lounge and de Bachmakov were two excellent scores.

Only blind buy's I've ever made have been Pure Malt and Beloved Man, and Pure Malt is brilliant.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Montale Full Incense

I buy decants only, so my investments tend to be relatively small, which makes the fact that I have to buy most scents blind a bit easier for me to deal with. But the best one so far is definately Tauer's L'air de desert marocain. Amazing, fabulous, and I will buy that one again, no doubt.

I always read online reviews before I buy a decant. Almost always. Well, always except once. I just bought a sampler of incense fragrances, all of which I've never smelled or heard of, but the price isn't high, and I like other incense fragrances so much that I figured, why not?

I have switched to the sample > decant > full bottle rule for my buying, but before then I did a bit of blind buying. My most successful was Parfum Sacre. I found an old black top bottle of it on ebay and immediately nabbed it. Score! I love this scent in the winter.

However, I also blind bought Bandit and while I can appreciate it, it's just a bit too aggressive for me to wear often. That said, I'm glad it's in my wardrobe. I have to have a meeting with an ex-employee who stole clients, jobs and data from us before she walked out the door. You can bet I'm going to that meeting in Bandit.

Best blind buy: A bottle of Vintage Creed 'Angelique Encens'

The most awful blind buy: Nu edp

Canyon Dreams by Keiko Mecheri
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

I think the worst blind buy I bought was Tommy Girl - not because it's a bad fragrance, but because it disappears on me as soon as I apply it. If I'd had the chance to try a sample first, I wouldn't have bought it. But luckily, it's not an expensive fragrance at all, so I didn't end up feeling bad about it.