Code of Conduct

Default Amour Nocturne - l'Artisan Parfumeur

I posted this right before the Great Migration ....

Most perfumes are created with motifs such as woody, fruity, floral, resinous or citric. Some are even based on complex accords to yield genres like leather, fougere & chypre.
    But rarely are perfumes successfully composed to be abstract, avant garde or even as a concept.
    Perfumes like this are usually described as released before their time.

This is Amour Nocturne.

Some will immediately like it. Because it simply appeals to them. Either connoisseurs or even aficionados.

This is not an easy perfume to like. But that is the idea behind abstract. It's meant to be indulged in. Senses need to be engaged.

You may not end up liking it.
    But if you're like me, you'll see the craftsmanship that went into composing it.
    Truly a work of art.
    I think this is what we've come to expect from pioneers of (modern) niche perfumery - l'Artisan Parfumeur.

It starts out with lots of caramel; steaming milk.
    The sweetness is balanced by a dusty orchid & sharp gunpowder.

Cedar hasn't made an appearance in the opening.

Soon cedar & gunpowder emerge.
    This is where I start to enjoy it.
    Milk & caramel subside.
    Cedar & gunpowder feel effervescent on Skin. Popping up.
    Orchid still maintaining presence.

Can clearly smell Le Feu d'issey - Issey Miyake.

But whereas lfdi was intended to be daring, bold, outlandish & shocking, Amour Nocturne is more wearable. It is a perfume, outlandish, but never unwearable.

Though what sets it apart from other perfumes is the unconventional base.

Think of most perfumes, , the base is using never the highlight. Here it's refreshingly new.

Has anyone tried it yet?

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Amour Nocturne - l'Artisan Parfumeur

Thanks for posting, Hedonist (excellent link too!) - will definitely add this to this month's sample list!

What an inspired post!
    I agree with you, hedonist: even if I just tried it once on skin, I remember being increasingly surprised in how good it was as time passed.
    I can't say about its being avantgarde, I wore it too casually to reflect on it, but I found it simple and easy to wear through great complexity, skill and balance.
    (At the moment I'm wearing a drop of Déliria from a precious sample I was given.. how do you like it? I find it exhilarating in the true sense of the word, it makes me laugh...)
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for posting, Hedonist (excellent link too!) - will definitely add this to this month's sample list!
    Thanks.

I was comparing the Great Wildebeest Migration to BN's migration from Huddler to the original software.
    Which coincided with the one in Africa this year.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    What an inspired post!
    I agree with you, hedonist: even if I just tried it once on skin, I remember being increasingly surprised in how good it was as time passed.
    I can't say about its being avantgarde, I wore it too casually to reflect on it, but I found it simple and easy to wear through great complexity, skill and balance.
    (At the moment I'm wearing a drop of Déliria from a precious sample I was given.. how do you like it? I find it exhilarating in the true sense of the word, it makes me laugh...)
    Just briefly.
    I will review it soon.
    I did wear Skin to Skin though.
    Will start a thread soon.

for swap/sale:

Excellent write up! I've been dying to try the entire explosions d'emotions line. They sound very avant garde!
    Listening to Duchaufours description of Deliria sound la absolutely WILD!

The trilogy of bottles will be arriving on Monday. After reading hedonist's write up I am even more excited about receiving them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I tried all three, thinking Skin on Skin would be the one I would get first. I ended up getting Déliria. For some reason, Amour Nocturne didn't register with me.

I went back the following week, fully intending to get a bottle of Skin on Skin. However, I tried Amour Nocturne again and decided I really loved it, so bought a bottle of that. It is sweet, but not cloying at all. I'll have to do a comparison with Le Feu d'Issey.

Surprisingly, not too many have written these up yet, so thanks for this thread.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Excellent write up! I've been dying to try the entire explosions d'emotions line. They sound very avant garde!
    Listening to Duchaufours description of Deliria sound la absolutely WILD!
    Amour Nocturne and Deliria being more Avante Garde.
    Skin on Skin is more playful than avante garde.

It's primarily a suede leather that's given the effect of sensual skin by adding a lot of very sexual cosmetics smell (and taste if you know what I mean) m
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The trilogy of bottles will be arriving on Monday. After reading hedonist's write up I am even more excited about receiving them.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    I tried all three, thinking Skin on Skin would be the one I would get first. I ended up getting Déliria. For some reason, Amour Nocturne didn't register with me.

I went back the following week, fully intending to get a bottle of Skin on Skin. However, I tried Amour Nocturne again and decided I really loved it, so bought a bottle of that. It is sweet, but not cloying at all. I'll have to do a comparison with Le Feu d'Issey.

Surprisingly, not too many have written these up yet, so thanks for this thread.
    Yes i chanced upon your blog and read that.
    I tried Skin on Skin first and immediately really liked it.
    I thought it'd be the one I most liked.
    Maybe it is but it's not the best of the trio.

Here I define better of the trio as the following:

Bringing something new to the table. Eccentric, avante garde and outlandish.

Deliria and AN certainly qualify.

Skin on Skin, not a lot.
    But it is the safest of the three, the easiest to like but out of the three, I'd prefer the one that hit the mark from the objective.

for swap/sale:

These three have to be some of the best releases from this house in a while. So glad I got them. Amour Nocturne so far is my preferred, but they're all very nice indeed. (435)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Someone elsewhere mentioned that Amour Nocturne had that same bread accord that JCE used in Bois Farine. Would you agree hedonist?

The one I am excited to try is Deliria, it sounds fascinating.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Someone elsewhere mentioned that Amour Nocturne had that same bread accord that JCE used in Bois Farine. Would you agree hedonist?

Hmm interesting perception.
    I get the accord you mention in Bois Farine.
    But to me it's more like a certain brand of Singaporean chips (chicken flavor).

BF isn't sweet like AN is.
    If you've ever boiled condensed milk you'll know what I mean.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

I've never boiled condensed milk, so I'm a bit clueless but it does sound interesting.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Hmm interesting perception.
    I get the accord you mention in Bois Farine.
    But to me it's more like a certain brand of Singaporean chips (chicken flavor).

BF isn't sweet like AN is.
    If you've ever boiled condensed milk you'll know what I mean.
    A very interesting observation! What is this brand? I hope to try it and identify the similarity between the chips and AN.

I just ran across these on the L'artisan website recently. I'd like to try them, in particular, Deleria sounded very interesting. Thanks for a great post Hedonist
    Last edited by danieq; 27th November 2013 at 04:21 PM.

I've never boiled condensed milk, so I'm a bit clueless but it does sound interesting.
    Imagine steaming sweetened milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    A very interesting observation! What is this brand? I hope to try it and identify the similarity between the chips and AN.
    The name is in Singaporean!
    It comes in prawn flavor as well.

Typical right? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I just ran across these on the L'artisan website recently. I'd like to try them, in particular, Deleria sounded very interesting. Thanks for a great post Hedonist
    Thanks Danieq.

for swap/sale:

Does anyone know where samples of these can be found?

At First in Fragrance: Just click on the scent you're interested in.

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/fragra...-emotions.html

(921)

I'm wearing Bois Farine right now and have worn Amour Nocturne- from a sample I was given at L'Artisan counter at Rinascente- a lot in the past few days... I can see a resemblance in the soft, powdery, doughy note but AN is much more concentrated on milk and soft, caramelized creaminess of warm skin... Moreover, the musk in AN isn't sharp and pungent as in BF, it's much smoother and enveloping.
    A great fragrance, I'm seriously considering to get a full bottle... though I generally am put off by big bottles.
    (Now, wouldn't it be great if L'Artisan made a reasonable price three mini bottles set of the Explosion d'Emotion trio? I would buy it immediately! )
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I'm wearing Bois Farine right now and have worn Amour Nocturne- from a sample I was given at L'Artisan counter at Rinascente- a lot in the past few days... I can see a resemblance in the soft, powdery, doughy note but AN is much more concentrated on milk and soft, caramelized creaminess of warm skin... Moreover, the musk in AN isn't sharp and pungent as in BF, it's much smoother and enveloping.
    A great fragrance, I'm seriously considering to get a full bottle... though I generally am put off by big bottles.
    (Now, wouldn't it be great if L'Artisan made a reasonable price three mini bottles set of the Explosion d'Emotion trio? I would buy it immediately! )
    +1 for this

Tried AN today. Creme Brulée with a little plastic burned on top. Weird, and for me, ultimately, too sweet.

Any UK fans of Amour Nocturne out there ?
    It's up on the QVC website for £71 They also had SKIN ON SKIN for £71, but that seems to have sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostend V View Post
    Any UK fans of Amour Nocturne out there ?
    It's up on the QVC website for £71 They also had SKIN ON SKIN for £71, but that seems to have sold out.
    Wow, those are wonderful deals.

Amour Nocturne as well as the other two L'Artisans in the trilogy Explosions D'Emotions are now at Parfum 1 and their 21% off coupon is still working (just tried to see if it would work) even though it should have expired.
    (1113)
    Last edited by hednic; 4th December 2013 at 02:54 AM.

I received my decant today and here is what I get on my first try:

A very brief sweet, it was so fleeting that I couldn't tell if it was the caramel, but I'm assuming it was. This coincided with a crusty bread feel. And the, it was a wood fire. That is where it's stayed for quite some time now. Now, it's more of the cedar mixed with smoke (gunpowder I guess) with a hint of sweet. Beautiful scent.
    Last edited by danieq; 5th December 2013 at 03:56 AM.

I tried Amour Nocturne today, wore it for a full six-ish hours.

I kept thinking that I had smelled the doughy+powdery+sweet combo somehwere and in the middle of a book it hit me: Dzing! AN is, to me, in fact, a sweeter, richer Dzing. It smells great though, comfortable, the cedar/milk/honey recognizable. Other copmarisons: Bois Farine, not so much. milk+powdery aspect perhaps. I have not smelt Feu d'Issey.

Deliria is a peachy tobacco, in fact, it is precisely the smell of peach molasses tobacco used in hookah/shisha, and true to form, pleasantly intoxicating. It is more than this however, I just tried it and will see how it progresses. hedonist, have you tried this? Any shisha vibe?

Have yet to try Skin on Skin.

Amour Nocturne was the one I purchased after sampling all 3. Milky caramel, cedar and gunpowder. Close to Le Feu D'Issey, but not a dupe.

Deliria turned completely metallic on my skin with a brief hit of candy apples and toffee in the first 10 minutes. Poor longevity, for me, but I didn't mind since metallic notes are not something I want to wear.

Skin on Skin is nice, but the beginning is very close to Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris, which I already own. The suede- iris-musk drydown is nice though, probably will buy a bottle next year. YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post

I kept thinking that I had smelled the doughy+powdery+sweet combo somehwere and in the middle of a book it hit me: Dzing! AN is, to me, in fact, a sweeter, richer Dzing. It smells great though, comfortable, the cedar/milk/honey recognizable. Other copmarisons: Bois Farine, not so much. milk+powdery aspect perhaps. I have not smelt Feu d'Issey.

Deliria is a peachy tobacco, in fact, it is precisely the smell of peach molasses tobacco used in hookah/shisha, and true to form, pleasantly intoxicating. It is more than this however, I just tried it and will see how it progresses. hedonist, have you tried this? Any shisha vibe?

Have yet to try Skin on Skin.
    Frankly I cannot see the Dzing! relation even though Dzing! is a staple in my wardrobe and one of my all time favorites. I'll look out for it the next time I wear Amour Nocturne.

I do see the relation to Bois Farine though. That sort of gourmandy (unusual gourmandy) aspect.

I tried Deliria briefly, need to try it.

for swap/sale:

I got some adhesive samples of the trio. Not the best way to try perfume, I smeared the adhesives on my skin, but it seems to have disappeared even more quickly than usual (and my skin eats perfume) - but who knows - I should really try the liquid. In any case, i tried Skin on skin first. Nice suede plus powder (in the cosmetic sense, as said). Very interesting and quite good. if it actually had any longevity, that is.

I'll try the other two soon.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Tried AN today. Creme Brulée with a little plastic burned on top.
    Interesting description!
    (1708)

I tried the other two. Deliria to me is mostly a fruity floral, well done, fun and excessive, with the fruity part almost like candy or bubblegum, but without syrup. I agree that it is very fun, and superior to most other fruity florals, but I don't see the avantgarde part.

Amour nocturnes is a strange, sweet floury thing. I don't have bois farine in mind, so I cannot compare, but I definitely detect the flour note. There are some fruits and clean florals as well. this one is probably the more unique of the three. So far, I don't get anything smoky or deep.

Interesting how the marketing is all about night, fun, and the like, yet they tend to smell quite clean, fresh, fun, almost teenage like (with skin on skin having at least some leather, though fleeting). Not sure I'd buy any of them.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I tried the other two. Deliria to me is mostly a fruity floral, well done, fun and excessive, with the fruity part almost like candy or bubblegum, but without syrup. I agree that it is very fun, and superior to most other fruity florals, but I don't see the avantgarde part.

Amour nocturnes is a strange, sweet floury thing. I don't have bois farine in mind, so I cannot compare, but I definitely detect the flour note. There are some fruits and clean florals as well. this one is probably the more unique of the three. So far, I don't get anything smoky or deep.

Interesting how the marketing is all about night, fun, and the like, yet they tend to smell quite clean, fresh, fun, almost teenage like (with skin on skin having at least some leather, though fleeting). Not sure I'd buy any of them.

cacio
    I find the metallic notes quite prominent in both Déliria and Amour Nocturne, and this comes off as avant-garde to me. These notes also make these fragrances a little harder to wear for me.

Comparatively, I find the metallic notes much stronger and persistent in Déliria (than in Amour Nocturne), rendering it less like a typical fruity floral. Amour Nocturne's caramel and milk, besides being somewhat metallic, also has a burnt edge. Perhaps the metallic notes bothered me a little too much, as I cannot detect the flour and similarity to Bois Farine.

Maque

quite interesting... I did not perceive much metal in the two. Perhaps I am anosmic to the particular material that gives this effect, so I don't detect it. To me, the two are quite happy and inoffensive.

cacio

Deliria smells very feminine to my nose. I do love it, and would like smelling it on a woman.

Well, I just got the wax samples (I dunno why they do that) from Parfum1 with my last split order and thought nothing of them. Now I'm excited. I think I'll test out Amour Nocturne.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I think I'll test out Amour Nocturne.
    I'd be interested in hearing what you think. Opinions from people who have tried it seem to be quite varied.
    (1767)

I've worn Amour Nocturne several times since my original occasion and here is my impression after getting to know it better. The strongest thing to me is the gunpowder, which doesn't necessarily sound like a positive, but I actually am finding I really enjoy it. I think it is what is giving the slightly metallic feel. But in combination with the caramel, which in ow detect much more, it is quite cozy. To me, this feels like s'mores by a campfire, with a bit of sex thrown in. Something about it reminds me of being wrapped in a fur blanket. It's overall a very warm,sweet scent. I love it!

I'd be interested in hearing what you think. Opinions from people who have tried it seem to be quite varied.
    (1767)
    Well, it is short lived with the adhesive version, so I only have about 4 hours of experience with this, as it is now very faint. But I do get that sweetened, steamed milk accord people are getting at. It reminds me of tres leches cake, if anyone's ever tried that. I am reminded of Dries Van Noten by Malle, but perhaps that is just the sweet, softness of the scent that gives me that, as I don't get sandalwood in this like I do in the Malle. Overall it is nice, but I'm not sure it is necessarily distinctive enough for me at the moment, but again, the adhesive I'd bet ruins some of the subtleties.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I got the peel-off sampler from parfum 1 and I really, really, really like Amour Nocturne. Where find a sample? Only at perfume counters? L'Artisan wants $280 for a 125 ml bottle and before I commit to prices like that anymore, I've gotta sample. I'm not into gourmands (so far), so Delieria's not for me. It's well done, though. Skin on Skin is very good, but for me a bit too ... stanky, skanky?

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I got the peel-off sampler from parfum 1 and I really, really, really like Amour Nocturne. Where find a sample? Only at perfume counters? L'Artisan wants $280 for a 125 ml bottle and before I commit to prices like that anymore, I've gotta sample. I'm not into gourmands (so far), so Delieria's not for me. It's well done, though. Skin on Skin is very good, but for me a bit too ... stanky, skanky?
    You can get a sample at Luckyscent:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._Nocturne.html

(1978)

You can get a sample at Luckyscent:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._Nocturne.html

(1978)
    Must be brand new. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post

I kept thinking that I had smelled the doughy+powdery+sweet combo somehwere and in the middle of a book it hit me: Dzing! AN is, to me, in fact, a sweeter, richer Dzing. ....
    Actually, yes, I do detect some similarity with my sample of Dzing. They both have a strong caramel note, but Amour Nocturne is smoother, milkier, whereas Dzing has, well, zing and a quite strong animalic component (musk, I think) since it's supposed to represent the circus. To me, Amour Nocturne is more allure and sweet dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    ...but Amour Nocturne is smoother, milkier, whereas Dzing has, well, zing and a quite strong animalic component...
    Precisely.

Had the chance to try all three of these at The Perfume House in Portland. I didn't take notes, but felt that all of them were quite interesting, and well worth sniffing for those who follow this line….as well as those who don't !