Code of Conduct

Unhappy Anosmic to sandalwood recreations

Hi there.

Thanks a lot for your help regarding my previous post about musks. I was a bit busy and didn't have time enough to response. Sorry for that. So I ordered ethylene brassylate and exaltolide but it isn't what i'm looking at all. Thoses are to my nose very "girly". I was expecting something more animalic, maybe on the fecal side. I suppose I should go for indole and scatole then.

Anyway I recently purchased all that aromachemicals expecting to recreate a sandalwood that lasts in time : javanol, ebanol, sandalore, sandela and santaliff (sandalmysore core from IFF). I diluted them in DPG with a lil bit of alcool (to make them less thick). Javanol 2% and the rest 10%.

And I can't smell all of thoses. Or maybe a tiny bit first then nothing (hyperosmie ?). I'm not supposed to be anosmic to all sandalwood recreations cause I have a sandalwood perfume that lasts more than a month and I can easily smell it.

I wonder if I shouldn't try other things like santol pentenol (also named polysantol, supersantol, etc.). http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1032011.html
    But I can't find a public supplier except Vigon who sells it for 1kg min. If here someone is okay to send me a small amount I will realy appreciate it.
    Or maybe an other stuff. It's weird I actualy can't smell Javanol, wich is supposed to be have a massive diffusion and tenacity...
    Last edited by Encens; 2nd November 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Default Re: Anosmic to sandalwood recreations

Sandalwood notes are notoriously difficult to smell; very often at first sniff they pear to be odourless. All I can say is keep trying to "get"them. Try their effect in a simple accords (with and without), try diluting even further (especially Javanol, which really is a powerhouse). Smell your dipped strip after a few days.

Regarding the musks, the two you have chosen are very sweet and sticky. If you want a more animalic musk (what I call a more genuine musk) you should try and get some Cosmone, or Muscenone. Unfortunately neither are easy to get hold of.

Muscone and Cosmone are available from Perfumers Apprentice, if you are in the US. Both are quite animalic to me.

Hi! I'm also I guy who is very interested in sandalwood synthetics. I've posted about them before and since then I've learned a couple of things.

The first is, all the synthetics you have DO smell very much like sandalwood! That's the good news. Your inability to smell them is not because you are anosmic to them-- it's because they are so potent at the concentrations you're smelling them at is enough to cause immediate fatigue. When I was preparing my 10% solutions by the time I was finished I couldn't smell ANYTHING.

After that I decided to make a ton of serial dilutions to see if I could smell them at lower concentrations. For example Santaliff (one of the better ones I've found) at 10% works very well but here's how I can smell it: I take 0.5ml of a 10% santaliff solution and add it dropwise onto my jacket. After that, I put it into the closet for the day and put away my dilutions. Leave it for a day or two in the closet and when you take it out to put it on, you will get the smell of sandalwood. If you put your nose to the jacket and sniff it where the drops were applied, it's still enough to cause fatigue and it will "vanish". So no smelling directly.

The other thing I've learned is the more potent the analog, the faster your nose will fatigue. Javanol is a great example. Even at a 2% dilution, when you smell it it's more like a rosey-lime like smell. No sandalwood. But if you put a few drops of a 2% dilution on a clothing item, put it away for a day or two and then shake the item in the air and smell the area, you will smell sandalwood but only for the smallest amount of time before it fatigues your nose. Since santaliff is the lowest potency it seems to fatigue slower and I can enjoy whiffs of sandalwood when I put on my jacket and take it off.

I was also looking for Polysantol but was unable to find a source. I would encourage you to keep experimenting with the ones you have and I think you can still find a good substitute.

One last thing I will mention....I made a 0.5% soln of ebanol, 0.2% soln of javanol, and 5% santaliff in ethanol and put them in small spray bottles. If you spray them on your chest you will get the smell of sandalwood for only a few seconds before your nose fatigues. However, I did this several times and then went to a friends house and asked if he could smell sandalwood and he said he could smell it when I walked by or when we were close. So people around you can still smell it but you won't be able to. Kind of a bummer since I was looking to be able to enjoy the smell myself more so than other people.

Hope this helps.

Place the javanol at 2% on your skin, and let it sit there and warm for an hour, see then if you can smell it...?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Even go down to 0.1%. I had it at that concentration in a perfume and it was the last thing I could smell on my skin. Great longevity.

Indeed it's easier to smell it on my skin. I wonder if it's due to DPG. I maybe should try with alcohol to help notes to evaporate. I suppose on my skin the product warms and evaporate easier. I maybe wrong I don't know...

Well, I need an advise about ratios. So I have Indian Sandalwood, Australian Sandalwood (smells stronger tan Indian), Javanol, Ebanol, Sandalore, Sandela, Santaliff and soon Bacdanol (+ Methyl Laitone)

All thoses are 10% except Javanol at 2%.

Not too much of Ebanol, which I find... I don't know how to explain... greasy ? Oily, fatty, heavy... Quite nauseating for my stomach.

In what proportions should I mix them ?

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea about ratios ? I don't want to make too much mistakes and waste true sandalwood EO so for the newbie I am your advice is always welcome.
    Last edited by Encens; 17th November 2013 at 11:45 AM.

Did you get any results that you can share?
    I'm pretty amazed with the instant fatigue phenomenon..

Many chemicals show this "instant fatigue " phenomenon; Javanol, Iso E Super, Mathyl Ionone being three of the most common. Some chemicals can only be smelled at very low dilutions (for me Karenal is one).

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Many chemicals show this "instant fatigue " phenomenon; Javanol, Iso E Super, Mathyl Ionone being three of the most common. Some chemicals can only be smelled at very low dilutions (for me Karenal is one).
    This is one of the coolest things I've heard of lately (this and the Maladena action
    for the dilaton in AdS/CFT)!

Is Santaliff supposed to smell urinous? Mine certainly does. The same sort of urinous note sometimes encountered in cedarwood oils.

As is mine.. You got it from CP?

At what dilution are you using it? I am smelling it right now at 5% and there is no such note. Mine is sandalmysore core (sandal butenol) from Hexapus.
    Our greatest evils flow from ourselves. Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I didn't dilute it yet.. Thought it was off, so I didn't even try it. Doesn't it smell funky at 100% to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    As is mine.. You got it from CP?
    Yes, but they promptly did their utmost to rectify the situation, and now I am satisfied. All of my dealings with them have been positive.