Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Today I Bought - November, 2013

Well, not today - behind with the pics again...
    Aedes de Venustas EdP.

IMG_1907a.jpg
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd November 2013 at 08:31 AM.

Default Re: Today I Bought - November, 2013

Also a few days behind - Bought at the Chicago BN meet-up, but received in November and broken in for the first time today:

Dior Oud Ispahan:
    Dior Oud Ispahan.png

The jus is pink! So cute.

And while it's not listed among the notes, I'm getting castoreum on the drydown. Anyone? I feel like this fragrance is so sophisticated... Not sure I should be allowed to wear it. But to hell with that, I fake sophistication with the best of 'em.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Also posting a few days late, these 3 were bought at the BN meetup in Chicago. Tom Ford Shanghai Lily at Neiman Marcus, Women's Coffret set of 15 Frederic Malle fragrances at Barneys and the Traveler's Edition of La Collection De Grass from the L'Occitane store. There are four fragrances in the travel set, Jasmin & Bergamote, Magnolia & Mure, The Vert & Bigarade and Vanille & Narcisse.

ImageResize.jpgmens_coffret_malle%20copy.jpgla-collection-travel.jpg

Oooh, nice grabs from the meet-up guys!!!
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Bought at the Chicago meet up:
    Hermes Eau Mandarine Ambree from the Hermes boutique.
    3065-3194-large.jpg

And.....La Collection Privee (Christian Dior) from SAKs.
    10454_psvk24dcxx_240.jpg dior-vetiver-via-fragrantica.jpg and 10451_av2utte8so_240.jpg
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Ooooh, more goodies, awesome! I have not sniffed any of the CDs, may have to seek some samples after seeing so many of you got some. I have sniffed that Hermes. I did find it kind of nice..I may have to re-sniff it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Bought at the Chicago meet up:
    Hermes Eau Mandarine Ambree from the Hermes boutique.
    3065-3194-large.jpg

And.....La Collection Privee (Christian Dior) from SAKs.
    10454_psvk24dcxx_240.jpg dior-vetiver-via-fragrantica.jpg and 10451_av2utte8so_240.jpg
    Those are three of the nicer Dior Privee scents, IMO. Great buys! And I did buy Vétiver, too. That is a FANTASTIC vetiver scent - perfect for anybody. I'm surprised you were still able to get it! Do you know how many bottles they had left? I'm not seeing it on their website anymore. Truly urging vetiver / coffee fans to get that one before it goes away!!!

Blog Entries

kalli, I was very impressed with them but I really enjoy wood notes. The line has quite a few of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Red, Olga the SA at SAKs in Chicago is the person who helped me. She was great but she told us Mitzah was the one being discontinued. Later I discovered my Vetiver was. I adore this scent! It's gotten a, somewhat, negative rap because people compare it to Guerlain's Vetiver. It's not trying to be THAT scent. It's an amazingly handsome/beautiful scent…truly.

I'll find her phone number & pm you.

I need to get in touch with her anyway; I want the Amber Nuit too.
    Last edited by RHM; 3rd November 2013 at 02:24 AM.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

So, the Mitz, isn't being discontinued? Is it pretty masculine smelling? How strong is that patchouli in there? I do love honey..is that strong?

I love wood notes too RHM. Poison is kinda a fave this fall. I know it's big on the white floral but I find it to be a woodsy, spice that is everything nice. I do love my Poison again! Yay, I fell outta love for a while..but now, I can deal with that tuberose. I thought I was nearly done with it..then the love came back. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd November 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    kalli, I was very impressed with them but I really enjoy wood notes. The line has quite a few of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Red, Olga the SA at SAKs in Chicago is the person who helped me. She was great but she told us Mitzah was the one being discontinued. Later I discovered my Vetiver was. I adore this scent! It's gotten a, somewhat, negative rap because people compare it to Guerlain's Vetiver. It's not trying to be THAT scent. It's an amazingly handsome/beautiful scent…truly.

I'll find her phone number & pm you.

I need to get in touch with her anyway; I want the Amber Nuit too.
    Thanks! Yes, Dior Vétiver is its own thing - a classy and somewhat underappreciated success for Dior, IMO. Guerlain Vetiver is a sort of French everyday guy scent - something like "Bleu de Guerlain" - Guerlain Homme before there WAS Guerlain Homme. Guerlain's Vetiver Pour Elle is something really special - the true Guerlain feminine take on vetiver. Creed Original Vetiver is a kind of minimalist vetiver - also aimed at office wear, IMO. But Dior Vétiver is something really interesting - a vetiver that stays true to vetiver, but brings in a coffe gourmand aspect in such a classy, understated way, that it exceeds the vetiver classification in the same way that Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka does.

Mitzah tempted me! I'll have to get out my sample!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    So, the Mitz, isn't being discontinued? Is it pretty masculine smelling? How strong is that patchouli in there? I do love honey..is that strong?

I love wood notes too RHM. Poison is kinda a fave this fall. I know it's big on the white floral but I find it to be a woodsy, spice that is everything nice. I do love my Poison again! Yay, I fell outta love for a while..but now, I can deal with that tuberose. I thought I was nearly done with it..then the love came back. Pretty cool.
    I didn't think Mitzah was too masculine at all - should not be a problem. I thought it was more or less "unisex", IIRC.

Basenotes Institution

Bought in late October, but my new FB is
    Aqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Sicilia.
    Cuddly, snuggly almonds with vanilla and a bit of non-synthetic musk with a dash of mild spices. Comfort scent, for sleepless nights.

Earlier in October is was another L'Art et la Materie Guerlain, Tonka Imperiale.

I like this "I bought" thread on our forum, not somewhere in General Discussion.

Basenotes Plus

Ave Luxe
    No. 23
    Ambra Tibet
    Black Tea

Blog Entries

From a fellow base noter, AdP Colonia
    And Carthusia IO Capri parfum.

I have not bought anything yet this month, but received some sample decants from a friend: SL Mandarin Mandarin and El Attarine, Mona di Orio Violette Fumee and Chanel 1932. Looking forward to a delicious sampling!

Late October

for swap/sale:

I am yet to buy something this month - but as Christmas approaches i'll be restocking up on my scents! Just got to decide what to go for! But getting some inspiration from this thread

Keiko Mecheri Tarifa
    NR for Her edt
    Myrrhe Ardente
    L'Ambre des Merveilles
    Micallef Automne
    Last edited by MorganFay; 4th November 2013 at 10:50 AM.

queen of the universe

Yet another Weil. Scored Cassandra EdC on ebay for less than a limb. Of course now an unopened EdT of the same gets listed. Heaven help me!

(Will report back after sniffing)
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

Blog Entries

Bought LUSH Gorilla Perfumes in Breath of God & 25:43. Just the small purse spray to check them out.

Basenotes Institution

Violette Fumee by Mona di Orio

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Violette Fumee by Mona di Orio
    Mimi, I got to try this. There was only enough for one wearing though! Nooooooooo! It is bad booty a bit like you said!!! Fruity and mysterious I guess. Has that Mitsouko vibe, I can see why you like it. It's original and special. My first Mona experience and I am impressed. More lovely as it dries down some. Good buy Mims!!!

I bought one of Diptyque's holiday candles, the Pine one. I don't do an Xmas tree and I love having the smell of pine greenery around my house this time of year. I ordered it from Nordstrom.com so it should be here in a few days.

Basenotes Plus

A totally successful blind buy of Cacharel Lou Lou. I found a used bottle for a pittance on the 'Bay. It arrived just now and I love it, a big blowsy floriental with a wonderful dusty incense note.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I ordered a set of the Andy Tauer samples, including the new Phi. Looking forward to experiencing that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Mimi, I got to try this. There was only enough for one wearing though! Nooooooooo! It is bad booty a bit like you said!!! Fruity and mysterious I guess. Has that Mitsouko vibe, I can see why you like it. It's original and special. My first Mona experience and I am impressed. More lovely as it dries down some. Good buy Mims!!!
    This sounds interesting, will have to put it on the 'to test' list. I saw a nifty set of MdO's on Luckyscent that my be a purchase in my near future.

Two days ago I received the Olympic Orchids discovery set, The Perfumer's Perfumes I had ordered last week. I like Ballet Rouges especially, an appealing rosy chypre, and the Olympic Amber is nice once it gets into its drydown, it has a strange medicinal opening. Also A Midsummer's Day Dream is pleasant, kind of fruity and flowery. There are six scents in all. There is one named Salamanca and it is an intense leather fragrance. Not something I like. They all have very good longevity and decent sillage. I'm thinking about a FB of Ballet Rouges.

Ballets Rouges is definitely FBW!

I bought him

photo.jpg

and he bought me

photo 2.jpg

and we smelled great happily

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Ballets Rouges is definitely FBW!
    I'm guessing you've smelled Ballet Rouges before.

I had to have it. It came today. I think it's from the 50's -- Mitsouko EdC. I love it better than all the other versions, which seem to have a sharpness or bite of some kind. This one is a smooth perfection of bergamot, jasmine and oakmoss, primarily, with woods and a few others florals. Peach, I think I read. All blending in perfect harmony to create perfume glory. Many thanks to those who pointed me to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images