Code of Conduct
+ Reply to Thread

Default Update (2nd Nov)

Hello. Thank you for your patience as we work through the mammoth task of getting new-old Basenotes complete and functioning at 100%. We are aware that it is frustrating for members who are trying to access information which may not be currently available. This is a temporary situation which will be resolved, as previously stated.

In the meantime, please note that in the original statement of 3rd October Grant said:

‘Transferring the last six months of data to the previous site will take some doing... Be aware that although we hope downtime will be minimal, the complete migration of data may take a few weeks to complete once we have moved.

In Grant’s ‘Orientation Day’ blog post, here: http://www.basenotes.net/entries/108...rientation-Day he added:

‘It is understandable that some of you are wishing to know when things will return to the site. Because the Huddler software stored the data in a different way to how we used to and there is no documentation about restoring it to the previous schema, it isn't as plain-sailing as we would like.’

The site was down for approximately one day – the alternative would have been to shut it down completely for several days, but the decision was taken to restore the site, and add items piecemeal as soon as possible after the relaunch; admin felt that Basenotes members would prefer things to be done that way, rather than for the site to go offline for an extended time.

Grant also stated that:

‘User-Generated Content such as reviews, comments, forum posts, private messages, post counts, itrader feedback, wardrobes... will be uploaded as soon as we are able, but we can't give an exact time-line at the moment.

However, we have most of the forum posts from the last 6 months archived in the Temporary Huddler Archive section, should you need to reference them before they are converted over properly.’

We should be able to provide a clearer idea of the time-scale for this next week. Issues to do with the effect of the delay on the functioning of the marketplace have been noted and where possible will be given priority.

Once again, thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by Judith Brockless; 3rd November 2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: For reasons of style!

Default Re: Update (2nd Nov)

Thank you for all your work and effort in getting this back to the Basenotes we love.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Bottom line - transforming data from one format to another without a pre-existing conversion routine is something which takes MORE than one day. Depending on the format differences, it can take a very long time.

Knowing this is the problem, makes all the difference in my expectations. It is rare that I can create a spotless conversion routine in one day, much less run it and validate the results. We simply need to have patience.

Thanks for all the updates and reassurances. And thanks for this amazing site, wherever it is housed. The one thing I have not been able to figure out, even after searching around quite a bit, is WHY this move? Was huddler too expensive? Some technical issue? Maybe this was discussed/explained before the move, if so I am sorry, I seem to have missed it. Can anyone elucidate?

Blog Entries

l don't really care why it happened, & l am sure we will never know. l am just happy to be back here, where the reviews & directory are usable once again. And l am happy to have the site up & running while everything else is put back to normal.

Thanks Judith & all of the team!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gecko214 View Post
    Thanks for all the updates and reassurances. And thanks for this amazing site, wherever it is housed. The one thing I have not been able to figure out, even after searching around quite a bit, is WHY this move? Was huddler too expensive? Some technical issue? Maybe this was discussed/explained before the move, if so I am sorry, I seem to have missed it. Can anyone elucidate?
    I do know that one factor was the inability of Huddler to craft the kind of custom software that is needed for a fragrance site. If I remember correctly, it was apparent to Grant that he could fix or build the things we needed in far less time than it was taking Huddler to do them, and yet he was either not allowed or completely unable to do them at Huddler.

Grant will be able to reply to this in more detail when he has the time, and it's better that he puts it in his own words rather than me doing it for him - but it's unlikely to surprise anyone if I say in the meantime that one of the main reasons was the loss of the Basenotes wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Brockless View Post
    Grant will be able to reply to this in more detail when he has the time, and it's better that he puts it in his own words rather than me doing it for him - but it's unlikely to surprise anyone if I say in the meantime that one of the main reasons was the loss of the Basenotes wardrobe.
    Thanks for your answer and I'll look forward to Grant's comments, if he has the time. I can only imagine how hard/time-consuming it must be to migrate such a massive database like this.

On knowing why: I guess you could say it is none of my business and perhaps that would be right (as some seem to suggest, including whoever clicked "object" on my fairly innocuous post... ) . But actually, I do, after being a member, contributor and daily (hourly...) reader, for the last few years, feel a certain sense of ownership, or at the very least a sense of belonging. This makes me feel curious about not just what is happening, but why. And for the little I know about change management, it is also generally a good idea to explain (and explain and explain) not just how change is happening, but why. This helps get people on board, keep them on board and keep them patient through the inevitable fits and starts as changes are implemented. It's not a big deal though, I'm just happy basenotes continues.

Basenotes Institution

Many thanks for the update.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for your answer and I'll look forward to Grant's comments, if he has the time. I can only imagine how hard/time-consuming it must be to migrate such a massive database like this.

On knowing why: I guess you could say it is none of my business and perhaps that would be right (as some seem to suggest, including whoever clicked "object" on my fairly innocuous post... ) . But actually, I do, after being a member, contributor and daily (hourly...) reader, for the last few years, feel a certain sense of ownership, or at the very least a sense of belonging. This makes me feel curious about not just what is happening, but why. And for the little I know about change management, it is also generally a good idea to explain (and explain and explain) not just how change is happening, but why. This helps get people on board, keep them on board and keep them patient through the inevitable fits and starts as changes are implemented. It's not a big deal though, I'm just happy basenotes continues.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your post at all, and I was wondering exactly the same thing about #2 and #5 . Completely unfathomable how gratitude, positivity, and optimism can be deemed objectionable. Wholeheartedly second both posts and await my inevitable "thumbs down". Que sera sera ....

I think that if this slow transition turns out to be too problematic, you could shut down the site for a few days and just convert it. It might actually be less stress that way. Although, I would be amazed if you were able to convert it from an arcane format like Huddler to vBulletin in a few days. So maybe your slow method is better.

BTW, I am happy to see you didn't try to upgrade to vBulletin 5. Every admin I know is avoiding it like the plague.

Please start new threads in the 'Bugs' section for site issues as that is where the tech team look for them.

@womo531 - I have moved your post over there & started a new thread.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...34#post2988234

Thank you!
    Last edited by lpp; 7th November 2013 at 08:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread