Code of Conduct

Thread: Ormonde Woman

Question Ormonde Woman

i read this scent is perferclty wearable by a man. how do you allwho have it feel? anticipating getting it. however, alfarom in his review mentions iso e super, does the scent feel more synthetic than Ormonde Man?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Default Re: Ormonde Woman

Perfectly wearable by men, and in fact, to me much better than O man. Ormonde man feels like a lightened, cheapened Ormonde woman.

In O woman there is iso e, and likely other synthetics loved by Geza Schoen, but because of the greater richness and complexity, it doesn't feel synthetic to me, and certainly much less than O man. That said, I don't really love the genre, so I would not recommend it as a blind buy.

cacio

is it.... too powdery?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Powder seems to mean different things to different people. But there's no powder to my nose.

It's a green woody scent. Like entering a damp forest in the rain. There are aromatic, vegetal notes, and woody-cedary ones (supposedly hemlock, as in the conifer tree, not the poison). It also has a watery underlying feel -perhaps some aquatic notes? (I am hypersensitive). If you like aromatic woody masculines, it should be perfect. But I'm not a big fan of the genre, as said.

cacio

I think Cacio has pretty much summed it up in his description although I think he's being harsh in saying the Men's version smells lighter and cheaper. To me Man seems stronger - as if they amped up some of the notes - and may come across as a more rough/spicy to some people. The Women's seems smoother to me and I notice what is I think is Iso E Super. It's noticeable but doesn't dominate. I like how Jasmine has been used in the Women's and I think that may make it veer very slightly to the feminine side as it think it has a slightly floral feel but certainly not powdery - more wet, grassy and woody to me. A man could easily pull this off I think but I would certainly recommend testing either of them as they are quite unique and not everybody's taste.

Blog Entries

I'd say the female version is just a better scent. It's a better blend, if that makes sense. The green hemlock note is outstanding. Whereas (it's been a while) as I recall, the male version is harsher, maybe more Vetyver or something to "butch" it up. It spoils the overall balance of the scent, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

PS, the EDP is my favorite. I usually like parfum but this one wears so close to the body, hardly any projection. And it's more expensive. EDP seems stronger, somehow.

IMO it is perfectly wearable by a man. I think the main difference between OW and OM is that the former is enriched by a warm amber base while the latter is more about green and woods. Iso E Super is remarkable in both versions if that's your concern. Feels synthetic? Yes, but not harsh.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

Ormonde Woman is totally wearable by a man - very much so .
    Also I believe I read that Linda Pilkington is not a fan of powder. I find many Oj's are not powdery at all . The iso e super is not a big player in OJ Woman for me. it's all about the swirling green , amber, sandalwood with a touch of violet. I love OJ Woman . It is a scent of real craft , quality .
    Like Kumquat said- the EDP is the better deal. The extrait is too quiet for my tastes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    IMO it is perfectly wearable by a man. I think the main difference between OW and OM is that the former is enriched by a warm amber base while the latter is more about green and woods. Iso E Super is remarkable in both versions if that's your concern. Feels synthetic? Yes, but not harsh.
    Are you sure you don't have these switched? I feel OW is more green and woods.

Basenotes Plus

On a related note, how is Ormonde Jayne Woman compared to Ave Luxe No. 23 regarding the sandalwood note? Which one has a better ( realistic ) sandalwood note? Which one has a better overall composition?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Are you sure you don't have these switched? I feel OW is more green and woods.
    I'm actually positive. They're both green and woody but whereas OM stays pretty linear throughout, OW introduces a big amber base during the dry down which the male version completely lacks....here're the note lists from the Ormone Jayne's website for both versions

Ormonde Woman:

Top Notes: Cardamom, coriander and grass oil
    Heart Notes: Black hemlock, violet and jasmine absolute
    Base Notes: Vetiver, cedar wood, amber and sandalwood

Ormonde Man:

Top Notes: Juniper berry, bergamot, pink pepper, cardamom and coriander seeds
    Heart Notes: Oudh and black hemlock
    Base Notes: Vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and musk

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

It's been too long since I tried the men's. You must try it for yourself. Male scents always react differently, too (on their PH). I think samples are the only way to go. Do let us know what you decide.