Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 3 November 2013

Hi all - have a lovely day!

Ayoon Al Maha.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 3 November 2013

Good morning!

vintage (80´s) EDC
    Last edited by easyfish; 3rd November 2013 at 08:41 AM.

My 10 July favorites

George F. Trumper Wellington Cologne
    Riva L'Altra Follia di Aquarama "Light"
    4711 Acqua Colonia Vetyver & Bergamot
    Cartier Déclaration d'un soir
    Atkinsons The British Bouquet
    Etro Gomma
    Rancé 1795 - Collection Privée Eau de France
    Penhaligon's Endymion
    Pal Zileri - Collezione Privata Viaggio d'Africa
    Floris Elite

Blog Entries

Good morning!

Encens Flamboyant for work today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Best wishes to those feeling under the weather and positive vibes for speedy recoveries all round. Mike, hope your evening out was a roaring success - no-one deserves it more.

Spent yesterday dodging the showers in the grand old city of York - architectural gems, historical curiosities, culinary delights (CAMRA pubs, G !) etc etc. Ready for a unique experience later - mead o'clock. Purchased two bottles in the Jorvik Viking museum and plan to take on the roles of Thor and Freya in due course

Also managed the obligatory pilgrimage ....

Had another shot at the Blood Concept line at the perfumery and ended up asking the same question - "why" ?. Weird and somewhat disconcerting house IMHO - I won't be revisiting. They now also stock the full ELDO range among their selection, which is absolutely huge for such a relatively small shop.

Even managed to catch up with a few old warhorses later in the day ...

Hope everyone enjoys the remainder of their weekend.

Good morning!

Revisiting ELDO Archives du 69, from a sample I was given in the eponymous 69, Rue des Archives Boutique in Paris. Nice and funny, though a bit weak and banal in the drydown, IMHO.

Have a nice day, all of you.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

ExtremeK we are most certainly oyster twins m'dear. Strong and briny are the order of the day for me too. A dash or lemon and a glass of Verve or Dom and I can get through a couple dozen of these babies easy.

Jon looks like a great day. Gosh that shop is jam packed!

Brilliant night, suffered most of this morning . Dinner was faultless and although one 'fessed up I suspect my very daggy '80's music playlist was being played as a special thank you for me which was equal parts disconcerting and cringe worthy. On top of the excellent food and company we caught the fireworks display as part of the Deepavali celebrations. It's the sort of night that slaps you upside the head and makes you realise your many blessings in life.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A very bad pic of the food (sorry was on my third? glass of wine) and yes, that is a copper roasting pan full of chateaubriand.

Scentless for the morning, surfaced in a more coherent state after lunch and was craving a few dabs of vintage Cuir de Russie extrait and to listen to La Traviata. Alfredo and Violetta! Verdi at his most heartbreakingly romantic. Now back to paint splattered jeans and my date with a paint brush.

Oh, received another bunch of roses. Perfection.

image.jpg

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.
    Last edited by Xscent; 3rd November 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Lovely reports, both JR and Xscent, some nice choice of words too (a sucker for a nicely built phrase here).

By Kilian Love and Tears Surrender today. Still sampling all these beauties received last week, samples and decants. Had a choice between this and PG Cuir D'Iris, but Cuir sits clumsily (to borrow the word from MikeP) on this skin.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 3 November 2013

POIVRE

from samples

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Hello lovelies, Creed Angelique Encens for me today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning!

Still very mild weather here for November. I'm starting to have an inkling of hope that it means a milder winter.

Yesterday at the mall I picked up a sample of JM Orange Blossom. I never cared for this before but I thought my mother might like to try it. But one of my little orange tree's blossoms opened last night so I had to sniff side by side with the Malone sample, and I am shocked at how close they are! I still prefer the L'Artisan but I feel like I'm understanding the Malone better and definitely appreciating it more. My daughter likes it quite a bit.

Off to Mom's for my usual Sunday coverage while the caregiver takes 5 hours off, and then we're taking her out for lunch.

queen of the universe

November is off to a grey start here, so I shall brighten my day with Mollie Parnis, whose tea-like note will go well with my morning caffeination of Lapsang Souchong/maté blend. Pleasant Sunday to all.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Hello all. Tocca Colette.
    DONNA

Chanel's Cuir de Russie EdT.

vintage

Basenotes Institution

Morning all ! Have a gorgeous new Sunday .
    I'm wearing Violette Fumee by Mona di Orio .

Aztek by Yves Rocher
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I so enjoy our Scent of the day threads! Thank you each & every one for your beautiful contributions.
    Each day is a trip to far away places as I read your posts, look at the pictures, listen to music. Wonderful!

Time to center and listen to the beat of my heart wearing my beloved Chamade edc.

And, if you ever loved a drummer……

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

queen of the universe

RHM, thanks for sharing the video. I love my vintage Chamade EDC.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Spent yesterday dodging the showers in the grand old city of York - architectural gems, historical curiosities, culinary delights (CAMRA pubs, G !) etc etc. Ready for a unique experience later - mead o'clock. Purchased two bottles in the Jorvik Viking museum and plan to take on the roles of Thor and Freya in due course ...
    All fantastic stuff, Jon. And I do love me a good CAMRA pub

Was re-testing Dior's Bois d'Argent today, just because I fancied something different.
    Anyway, I've decided to take a bit of a sabbatical from BN (all's hunky-dory - promise !). I'll still check in from time to time, though.
    Best to everyone.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, everyone! It's a beautiful fall day here, temps are to get into the high 50's this afternoon, which is really nice for this time of year.

A belated Happy Birthday to 30 Roses mom, I hope she had a wonderful day!

Wearing biehl parfumkurstwerke gs03 this morning, a sample from the Chicago meet-up. It's a very light and beautiful scent. Notes are neroli, orange flower absolute, mandarine, juniper, schinus molle, a fusion of iris absolute, rose oil, vetiver, castoreum, musk, benzoe siam, moss, tonka and cedarwood. It's really nice, very clean and fresh.

gs03.jpg

Have a great day!

Good morning everyone -

We're having a lazy morning in bed with our coffee, croissants, clementines and cats. We're also watching the pros play tennis in Paris, but none of that starts with a "c". I'm in Shalimar Parfum Initial ...y'all have a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    ...Strong and briny are the order of the day for me too. A dash or lemon and a glass of Verve or Dom and I can get through a couple dozen of these babies easy.
    I'll take mine sweet and briny, plus a dash o' Tabasco with the lemon, thanks!

Jon - your day sounds and looks wonderful! Those are the best sorts of perfume shops - small but stocked to the rafters, and they usually seem to have a pretty good selection of new-old-stock ...when that's what you're afters.

iodine - Awful Sound(Oh, Eurydice) has been in and out of my mind for the past several days, and each time it pops up I think of you in your Hindu Kush ...so now, after loving them for over a decade, Arcade Fire now reminds me of a girl I've never met in a perfume I've never smelled. Pretty cool!

30 R - did your mom have a nice day yesterday? You must be so excited about your little orange blossom. I have a young plumeria plant that has several baby buds on it after three years of nothin', and I think I'll probably just burst with joy when they finally bloom!

Mimi - hi there, sweetie! It's always great to see you, but now I'm just confused - yesterday you were far from home, and today you're exactly where you should be ...does that mean you'll be with us for a while yet?

You smell beautiful RHM - I have the edc too and I love it so much. It's one that I still like to actually pour in my hand and splash on! I've decanted most of my splashes, but not that Chamade edc.

gandhajala - I sure hope you're happy and well while absent, but please do check in. I'll miss you! xo
    Last edited by Evangeline; 3rd November 2013 at 03:28 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Scent twins with Twolf. Love and Tears for me. Did you end up going to that concert, E?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

^ We did kalli, thanks for asking! It was excellent, classic Nine Inch Nails, as you'd expect, especially since Trent Reznor, NIN lead singer and once a New Orleans resident, was a huge proponent of Voodoo Fest before it ever took off, and the locals idolize him ...he just eats up all the love and gives it right back. I'm more of a fan than Tony by far, but he was quite impressed, too ...and a very good sport.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

It won't be the same without you, G - don't become a stranger. (My PerfumedLady withdrawal symptoms are at critical levels )

SotE - Virgin Island Water.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tommy Bahama For Men today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

L'Artisan Séville à l'Aube.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Paging Evangeline! Your oysters are here. You would enjoy Coffin Bay oysters smaller but sweet and very favourful.

Painting done, time for bed.

Night all.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    iodine - Awful Sound(Oh, Eurydice) has been in and out of my mind for the past several days, and each time it pops up I think of you in your Hindu Kush ...so now, after loving them for over a decade, Arcade Fire now reminds me of a girl I've never met in a perfume I've never smelled. Pretty cool!
    [
    I'm honoured, Mrs E!
    I'm quite loving that very song, though my favourite ones up to now are in CD1.
    Don't know if Hindu Kush can be in your chords- I imagine you much more on the classy feminine side- but it certainly is a great perfume.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Good morning...We did laundry Friday night, me and the littles, and at the laundromat I smelled my cheapie sweatshirt from forever 21 and it smelled so incredible but I can't for the life of me remember what I was wearing when I wore it!!! The 9 year old was begging me not to wash it, it smelled so good. I know I wore it on date with the Boyfriend, and generally speaking I wear the MEME around him, but this wasn't that. I am thinking it was a combination of things that I'd not consider wearing layered because they would stink? But some sort of sweater magic turns them into a magical wonderful smell? My suspects are the Mure Et Musc Extreme, Tabac Aurea, She-Wolf, Reglisse Noire, and To Dream. The To Dream never develops on my skin, it smells the same pretty much straight through, but maybe this is what it would develop into?

Anyway, it had to be washed, it had been a long time.

Today a teeeny bit of the aforementioned To Dream, to see if it makes this sweater fragrant like that.

Blog Entries

Evening all,

G, be well, & don't be a stranger!

l've re-applied Encens Flamboyant this evening. The first time l wore this, l got an overwhelming scent of burning, but on subsequent wears it's been a soft, comforting incense, & it felt perfect for work today. Thank goodness, this wasn't a bad blind buy after all.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Scent of the evening is No. 88.

Hey again -

One more night of Voodoo, and we're seeing The Cure, no questions asked! One of the great things about seeing these bands I loved as a kid is realizing that I'm really still the same person I was then, with added wisdom, experience and baggage of course, but the feeling and the thrill is the same, it doesn't go away or even change much as I've gotten older, and it's an oddly exhilarating realization, lol. So ...I totally feel sixteen, and to enhance that sensation I'm wearing the same perfume I wore the first time I saw them in 1985, the incredible K de Krizia. And it's working ...so awesome.

Y'all have a fantastic evening!

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Paging Evangeline! Your oysters are here. You would enjoy Coffin Bay oysters smaller but sweet and very favourful.
    Now that's good service! And lookit those precious little things - I bet they're divine! I'm fortunate to have excellent ersters available here (especially lucky considering the woes of the Gulf) and your sweet Coffin Bays have moved us one step closer to making a decision about dinner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I'm honoured, Mrs E!
    I'm quite loving that very song, though my favourite ones up to now are in CD1.
    Don't know if Hindu Kush can be in your chords- I imagine you much more on the classy feminine side- but it certainly is a great perfume.
    Well, I do tend to like things pretty feminine, but you just never know what might strike my fancy ...and if you say it's a great perfume, I can only imagine that it's something pretty special. I've already made a mental note to try it next time I'm sampling.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kiliwia and Evangeline, Mom did enjoy herself-- but I found out the hard way that just because a restaurant has a ramp does not mean they have a handicapped-accessible bathroom stall. I told my husband that before we take her anywhere to eat again, I will first make sure there is a stall I can get her into without having to be a contortionist!

Evangeline, I am ridiculously delighted with the little orange tree! I had frangipani (plumeria) trees right outside my house when I lived in Africa and can fully understand how happy you'll be when the buds open! So fragrant! Which color do you have-- the yellow and white ones or the pink and yellow ones? I found they smelled a little different from each other.

Lol @ "ridiculously delighted" - I know exactly what you mean! I'm already pretty delirious about the buds - there are about a dozen in a cluster! It's supposed to be pink, plumeria rubra "Tahitian Sunset", but I haven't seen it in bloom so I can't be sure. There was a blooming one when I bought it that compelled me to ask for the very same one, so I'm hoping for pink ...although I can't imagine I'd be very disappointed if it's a surprise, they're all so luscious. They don't get as big here as they do in the South Pacific, or in Africa as well, I'm sure, but they make very good small container trees, and they can bloom quite profusely when treated right ...I just can't wait! We're supposed to go away for Christmas, but I told Tony if they haven't bloomed by then we'll have to cancel, lol - I really don't want to miss it.

The Cure! Favourites on my '80 playlist, will blast Lovecats and Close to Me for the morning run! Have a wonderful time
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    ^ We did kalli, thanks for asking! It was excellent, classic Nine Inch Nails, as you'd expect, especially since Trent Reznor, NIN lead singer and once a New Orleans resident, was a huge proponent of Voodoo Fest before it ever took off, and the locals idolize him ...he just eats up all the love and gives it right back. I'm more of a fan than Tony by far, but he was quite impressed, too ...and a very good sport.
    Yes, I know he lived there, hehe, I've been a pretty big fan of some of his stuff...though I don't listen to a pretty good portion of his songs anymore since I converted to Christianity, some lyrics I just don't like hearing at all anymore. But there are some good songs with no bad lyrics in them. I got to meet Trent/NIN when they first came out...in the late 80's, at a listening party. Pretty cool times(even if I don't listen to most of that album anymore). I was only a kid..I was beyond elated to meet the band that I just started really liking. They stopped in my town of all places..a listening party outside a pizza place. I got to chat it up with the NIN people for a bit. They were so nice. Just fun times, good memories. They let me listen to a cd that hadn't come out yet, their first 'remix' album. I kept saying they were WAY better than that Bon Jovi and Metallica crap that was out there LOL. Which songs did he play? I am a bit curious of the playlist these days...even though, ya, I skip over a good portion of them...going to guess he played stuff from the new album?

Glad you had fun, E!!

Wait, I just read you are seeing The Cure? They still do shows? Hehe. I had no idea. Have fun!!
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd November 2013 at 10:23 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Wow kalli, hangin' with Trent - how cool! Let's see, among many, many others that I'm neglecting to mention*, Copy of A, Hesitation Marks, All Time Low, Disappointed, Come Back Haunted, Black Noise, While I'm Still Here ...lots from Hesitation Marks, not so much from Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral ...like you, he's in a much different place than he was back when he recorded those. They closed with Hurt, as usual. Yeah, it was lots of fun - thanks, again!

*so here's the whole setlist - http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-1bc74160.html

It is pretty cool. Huh, not so much from TDS and PHM huh? I think I did hear he was in a different place and didn't play some songs anymore that he didn't resonate with, that's why I was curious. Oh...he played A Warm Place? Oh, that's one of my faves and have only seen him play it once-I think-out of the six shows I've been too. Stopped going to shows cause, ya, in a different place than I used to be. Hehe, they do always seem to close with Hurt. Interesting, thanks!
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd November 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Micallef Night Aoud for this evening.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Trussardi Jeans tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

kalli and Mrs.E., please mention a word or two about your SotD while discussing Nine Inch Nails, is at all possible.

Wearing Amouage Fate to bed: wrong choice for sure, will probably be tossing and turning and thinking about Europe-educated and couture clad sultans and their harems. Never mind me.

Okie dokie. A lot of our SOTD threads go slightly OT a bit..like people renovating their home, food, etc. Is that now more strict as well?

My Monday is almost over! But speaking of Sunday, I wore Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan 2007 edition. It was a perfect scent for a lovely spring day.